*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,036,842 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
superaggie73
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bilbo with the drive by and no more detail
irish pete ag06
AG
Gramercy Riffs
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Other than because he was with Rangers, why all the Bannister hate?

Honest answer: I think he's a *****.
Semi-playful answer: we went to rival high schools
Worth repeating: I think he's a *****.
Wabs
AG

Been going on for over 30 years at least.....
redline248
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Oh yippee, Boras says the Astros' players have nothing to apologize for. They were given a system installed by management and were told to use it. At bottom, the players were just following orders. I agree but we don't need Boras chiming in on this, he's far from the moral ideal.
Rosenthal: Why Scott Boras says the Astros players don't need to apologize

Stripling directly asked Reddick if they used buzzers, Reddick said no.
Stocks, workouts and Astros questions: A day in the life of Ross Stripling
That's a pretty good article about Ross.
. . .

Quote:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/astros/article/Lance-McCullers-Jr-expects-Astros-to-come-14999951.php

"My focus and my comments and my intentions are going to be on moving forward," McCullers said Thursday night during an interview on SportsTalk790. "You can't say anything right about whatever the report has said or what people will continue to say. People every single day will come out with new conspiracy theories. I'm just going to lay low, I think other guys are going to do the same, and we just want to play baseball again."

"You can't change what's happened in the past. You can't change the topics that have been discussed about us," McCullers said. "All we can do is roll into spring and come together as a group which I know we will and win about 100 ballgames again."

After some of the players received criticism for how they handled questions about the sign-stealing scheme last week, owner Jim Crane vowed Tuesday that the team will get together in spring training and could issue a "strong statement" of apology.

"I think everyone is going to talk about it as much or as little as they want," McCullers said. "I'm speaking to you guys a little about it more because we were talking about the charity stuff. But it's not something I'm going to talk about a lot. I think everyone is going to speak for themselves and have their own opinions on how they want to address it."

McCullers said he will begin to throw bullpen sessions next week in preparation to pitch a full 2020 season, one that will undoubtedly contain contentious meetings with enraged opponents in other ballparks.

"Yeah, I'm sure it's going to be hostile," McCullers said. "Whether it would have been this or whether it would have been something else, usually everybody on the road is not so nice to us anyway. We're going to come together as a group. We still have a very close-knit group of guys. We still all care for one another."
Frok
AG
n_touch said:

bilbobag said:

Bannister getting the nod
You get traded to the Stros?

Bill O'Brien has now also been given control over the Astros
maca1028
Frok said:

n_touch said:

bilbobag said:

Ag_07
AG
Frok said:

n_touch said:

bilbobag said:

Ok Ok Ok...I'll take Dusty Baker.
AggiEE
BMX Bandit said:

Other than because he was with Rangers, why all the Bannister hate?

Agreed, out of all the candidates I like him the most
jkag89
Marvin said:

k20dub said:

Marvin said:

Not sure if already discussed...

Altuve is arguably on a HOF pace. I wonder if he will face a steroids-like protest from the baseball writers for a few years.

If he retired today, would he get in?

No, he would not even make the ballot since he has not yet played the requisite 10 full seasons to be considered.
Marvin
AG
jkag89 said:

Marvin said:

k20dub said:

Marvin said:

Not sure if already discussed...

Altuve is arguably on a HOF pace. I wonder if he will face a steroids-like protest from the baseball writers for a few years.

If he retired today, would he get in?

No, he would not even make the ballot since he has not yet played the requisite 10 full seasons to be considered.

You guys are being so literal. Damnation, I was just trying to start a conversation about something other than cheating! I'll try harder next time, haha...
CFTXAG10
AG
Friday is always a good day to dump some news, wonder if Crane will pull the trigger today or take a little more time to mull it over. Other than the "mystery candidate" it seems like all interviews have been completed.
irish pete ag06
AG
BMX Bandit
Not a surprise

HossAg
AG
If we get Ausmus then I'm quitting sports
Wabs
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Not a surprise

Deluxe
AG
Before the Jake incident, I actually wouldn't have minded Ausmus as manager.
Ag_07
AG
Deluxe said:

This. That incident turned me off to him.

However, I'd take him over Bannister.

Man listen to us. this has to be the most lackluster managerial search in the history of sports
Texaggie7nine
I liked him enough while he was here that I don't hold any grudges. I like him as a player and person. Not sure I am a fan of his coaching style. .But I will say I don't know enough about it to say I would be that upset if we got him.
7nine
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Can I just say if we did hire him it would really be fun if Jake was still on the team
Deluxe
AG
cpsencik04 said:

Can I just say if we did hire him it would really be fun if Jake was still on the team

Jake, with his good attitude and amazing hair, would probably forgive him immediately
k20dub
AG
Sounds like the consensus of this thread is Espada or we riot.

Should be an interesting next few days...

Frok
AG
Quote:

Man listen to us. this has to be the most lackluster managerial search in the history of sports

Yep. Crane will now be more concerned about having a good image rather than winning.
linkdude
AG
Meanwhile, as the Twitterverse turns....
Jackal99
AG
linkdude said:

Meanwhile, as the Twitterverse turns....

Way to go, Judas
n_touch
they must have allowed the other teams to borrow the trashcan for all of his first innings that year
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

Not me. He's been a big fat failure everywhere he's been.
. . .
BCSGrubber
AG
I think those are pretty decent responses
iBrad
AG
Props to Dallas for stating that it was the state of baseball at that time. Current Astros players would get grilled for saying that. Dallas could have easily left all the blame on the Astros franchise, but didn't. And I think it's clear what his thoughts on Fiers are.
agproducer
AG
I'd be good with Ausmus as manager. He is an Astro. He's always been an Astro. The incident with Jake -- he was just defending his guys. I have no issue with that.

Ausmus has been the manager of two teams with aging and past-their-prime stars who were often hurt.

He embraces analytics, but also has an old-school mentality.

I made the argument earlier in this thread the Astros should consider Phil Garner to help right the ship. Garner guided the teams in the 2000s to the playoffs and the WS. So, he has ties to the old Astros glory days, and the fans have always seemed to like him.

Ausmus fits the bill of ties back to the Astros glory days and checks that box. He is just missing the playoff managerial experience.
JYDog90
AG
This freaking managerial search sounds like one conducted by Texags posters: seemingly no rhyme or reason to any of it, just "have I heard the guy's name before."
Farmer1906
AG
agproducer said:

I'd be good with Ausmus as manager. He is an Astro. He's always been an Astro. The incident with Jake -- he was just defending his guys. I have no issue with that.

Ausmus has been the manager of two teams with aging and past-their-prime stars who were often hurt.

He embraces analytics, but also has an old-school mentality.

I made the argument earlier in this thread the Astros should consider Phil Garner to help right the ship. Garner guided the teams in the 2000s to the playoffs and the WS. So, he has ties to the old Astros glory days, and the fans have always seemed to like him.

Ausmus fits the bill of ties back to the Astros glory days and checks that box. He is just missing the playoff managerial experience.

Why is that a box at all?
W
AG
that's what happens with the owner fires the manager in January instead of October
First Page Last Page
Page 108 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.