*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,031,025 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
03_Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The "Speak softly but carry a big stick" approach seems to fit this scenario perfectly.

Let all the players take their shots on Twitter now. Folks like Bregman will repay the favor once the season is rolling.
tjack16
AG
I wonder why Yankees fans hate every astros player but aren't condemning their new golden boy Gerrit Cole
Beat40
Big Al 1992 said:

So the question has been asked and will get asked again and again - Does this stain the 2017 WS Championship? Players really need to come up with a more definitive, ballsy answer. How would you answer or like to see JV answer?

Something like - look we played our asses off for 162 games plus post season against the best teams in the league. We made pitches when it counted, defensive plays when it counted and hits when they counted. We beat NY, Boston, and LA and there's plenty of smoke out there that our opponents were trying to take advantage of technology and Some Of our players may have done the same. No - it doesn't tarnish anything - Astro's were the best team in baseball in 2017.

I would bet this is exactly how they feel about it all. I would throw some back on the MLB too. Here's how I would the modify statement:

"We do regret participating in a scheme that may have hurt the integrity of the game. However, we played our asses off for 162 games plus post season against the best teams in the league. We made pitches when it counted, defensive plays when it counted and hits when they counted. We beat NY, Boston, and LA and there's plenty of smoke out there you've heard from former and current players that our opponents were taking advantage of technology at the same time. We can't chose who MLB decides to investigate.

No - it doesn't tarnish anything - Astro's were the best team in baseball in 2017."

I bet MLB, Crane, and most importantly the players union have told them not to comment at all.

People just want to pile on because they have a bad guy now. It let's them ignore the rest of the dirt.
Wabs
AG
tjholley16 said:

I wonder why Yankees fans hate every astros player but aren't condemning their new golden boy Gerrit Cole
Because they are self righteous pompous *******s. But we knew that before any of this cheating stuff.
Ag_07
AG
I like Bregman's response as is.

Look MLB wrote up a report that's available to the public. You can get all the answers you need straight from that report.

Our guys shouldn't give them anything. You got questions then go read the report but we're not gonna give you the sound bites you're looking for.
astros4545
AG
We should take this time to apologize...to absolutely nobody

Wabs
AG
Ag_07 said:

I like Bregman's response as is.

Look MLB wrote up a report that's available to the public. You can get all the answers you need straight from that report.

Our guys shouldn't give them anything. You got questions then go read the report but we're not gonna give you the sound bites you're looking for.
Especially if they are asked questions about stuff NOT in the report and made up by the pitch fork mob that Manfred created. Stuff like buzzers, wires, etc.
agsquirrel97
AG
Please remember that today is

CFTXAG10
AG
Ag_07
AG
Interviewing Bannister has to be just an ultimate troll job by Crane.

No way he actually thinks that guy can run a successful ML ball club.
Deluxe
AG
Ag_07 said:

Interviewing Bannister has to be just an ultimate troll job by Crane.

He might be the right meathead at the right time though
tjack16
AG
Ag_07 said:

LSU fans thought the same thing about Coach O.
CFTXAG10
AG
I don't want Bannister for baseball reasons, but you know the guy would ride or die if "push comes to shove"
Wabs
AG
Out of the names I've heard, I'd take Bannister.
Beat40
Wabs said:

Out of the names I've heard, I'd take Bannister.
No.
DVC2010
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

Big Al 1992 said:

Still pissed at Crane. Kraft didn't fire Belicek and it blew over - both times. If they were sitting on the sidelines for the year I don't think this has the weight it has been given.
Especially over the next 12 months of them being suspended. Imagine how much more whistle blower type crap is going to come out over this time. It's barely been over a week and you've got burners, Jack McDowell, Logan Morrison, etc.

It stung me to see them let go and it still does.
Luhnow built the team, and Hinch led it. Crane just signed the checks. The dispassionate part of me asks if it was really worth making the club worse for some less-bad PR? The fan part is furious at how quickly Crane threw his guys under the bus.

Also, Manfred is a coward for punishing the only guys in this mess without any leverage over the league.
Ag12thman
AG
Pedro Martinez: 'Fiers broke the rules' in the clubhouse
https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1931930
n_touch
AggieLit
Big Al 1992 said:

So the question has been asked and will get asked again and again - Does this stain the 2017 WS Championship? Players really need to come up with a more definitive, ballsy answer. How would you answer or like to see JV answer?

Something like - look we played our asses off for 162 games plus post season against the best teams in the league. We made pitches when it counted, defensive plays when it counted and hits when they counted. We beat NY, Boston, and LA and there's plenty of smoke out there that our opponents were trying to take advantage of technology and Some Of our players may have done the same. No - it doesn't tarnish anything - Astro's were the best team in baseball in 2017.

I'd say that the ultimate test in sports is Game 7. Whole new series, do or die. No complaining afterwards, no excuses. You don't like something that happened in Games 1-6? Well now you've got Game 7. Game 7 was played in L.A. and the Astros came out and flat-out beat them.

And the Dodgers know this - that's why only a couple of them have spoken out. They know they got beat. I think we would have heard a lot more out of them if the series was won in Houston and it was close.
ClickClack
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

I literally am not sure I could be a fan of this team if we hired bannister. What a weird candidate.
mAgnoliAg
AG
n_touch said:

amercer
AG
AggieLit said:

Big Al 1992 said:

I'd say that the ultimate test in sports is Game 7. Whole new series, do or die. No complaining afterwards, no excuses. You don't like something that happened in Games 1-6? Well now you've got Game 7. Game 7 was played in L.A. and the Astros came out and flat-out beat them.

And the Dodgers know this - that's why only a couple of them have spoken out. They know they got beat. I think we would have heard a lot more out of them if the series was won in Houston and it was close.

It sucks that this was going on.

By every measure the 2019 Astros were the best team in baseball. By some measures they were historically great. And they didn't win the WS. It takes more than just being the best team to win. Quirky stuff happens and a little hot streak or a good bounce can be the difference.

So it's really, really hard to say 100% that stealing some signs wasn't significant in 2017.
Farmer1906
AG
I think I have about enough. Who wants to talk some actual baseball?

We feel good at 1-2 with JV and Greinke. Assuming Lance is back to himself then he's the #3. Who rounds out the rotation?

On the 40 man
Jose Urquidy (the favorite for #4 after the postseason play)
Austin Pruitt (spin kills)
Brad Peacock (entering his 8th season in Houston)
Josh James
Rogelio Armenteros
Framber Valdez
Cy Sneed
Bryan Abreu

Non 40 Man (not likely in the rotation opening day, but could be eventually)
Forest Whitley
Tyler Ivey
Enoli Paredes

Still available in FA
Pedro Avila
Clay Buchholz
Trevor Cahill
Andrew Cashner
Jhoulys Chacin
Ross Detwiler
Marco Estrada
Matt Harvey
Jeremy Hellickson
Edwin Jackson
Wade LeBlanc
Shelby Miller
Tommy Milone
Matt Moore
Clayton Richard
Tyson Ross
Aaron Sanchez
Ervin Santana
Hector Santiago
James Shields
Edinson Volquez
Taijuan Walker
Steven Wright
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Is Bobby Cox still alive?
the last of the bohemians
I could see urquindy having the most wins of any #4 in the league this year.
If Whitley actually keeps his act together, would imagine he is our 2nd half #5, if not by June.
What a diverse rotation of styles if end up with JV, Greinke, LM, Urquindy, Whitley.
. . .
W
AG
looking at the schedule for the 1st month of the season...

the Astros open with 4 vs. the Angels, then play 3 at Oakland without a day off between the series.

likewise the A's open with 4 vs. the Twins, then immediately play the 3 games vs. the 'stros.

so the first meeting between Houston and Oakland with be a battle of #5 starters. Then the #1's and #2's complete the series
W
AG
also interesting...the A's open the season with 16 of their first 19 games vs. the Twins, Astros, Yankees, and Red Sox.

the 'stros will have a good chance to take an early lead in the division
Mathguy64
AG
A's open with lots of teams and players very unhappy with one Mike Fiers.
dshedd41
S

Yes, I just bought this.collectors item
Gig’em Aggies!
Ag_07
AG
Guess you had an open spot on the bookshelf after selling Astroball
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Home run celebration this year. Lift up the jersey to show no wires.
Mr.Bond
AG
Jeter not unanimous
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Marvin
AG
Who was the lone tool that didn't vote for Jeter? Baseball writers are just one giant collection of pompous blowhards, and Buster Olney is exhibit A (as in *******).
Mr.Bond
AG
If Griffey wasn't unanimous then no reason Jeter should be. Jeter is hall worthy no question but why is he more deserving of unanimous over ripken, Griffey, Aaron, big unit, Ryan etc
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

First Page Last Page
Page 102 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.