In honor of high school baseball playoffs starting.....

2,948 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 96ags
96ags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I want to get my annual rant in about the lunacy that is single game playoffs in high school baseball.

• There is no justification for a single game outside of weather cancelling a series
  • The practice promotes the overuse and subsequent injury of young pitchers
  • It is contrary to how the game is played at every other level
  • It is contrary to how the game is played the rest of the high school season
  • If you are a coach that advocates for it you are cheating your team out of playoff games
  • Coin flips are dumb
  • If you are a coach that advocates for it, you are *****
  • UIL can and should fix this
  • Did I mention that a coach that advocates for a one game is a *****

There, I feel better.
powerbelly
AG
Just curious on this one:
  • Quote:

The practice promotes the overuse and subsequent injury of young pitchers
How does a single game series promote overuse?
96ags
AG
Because coaches will play all season riding one arm instead of developing a complete staff.

If they knew for certain they were going to have to win two games in consecutive days to advance through the playoffs, it would require the development of at least one or two more pitchers throughout the season to prepare.

AustinCountyAg
Even just a one game series, the coach should be using his stud less in the days approaching so that his arm would be fresh
Wabs
AG
At least in my area - summer baseball (for high schoolers)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>regular high school baseball.
96ags
AG
Yes and no.

The top level teams in 5A and 6A are significantly better than most travel teams.

Mainly because they consist of the same players that make up the very best of those travel teams.
512Ag
AG
My HS coach was notorious for being pro-1-game series. So ****ing stupid.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

It is contrary to how the game is played the rest of the high school season

It's really not.

Quote:

If you are a coach that advocates for it you are cheating your team out of playoff games

If it gives your team the best chance to advance and play more playoff game(s) further into the playoffs, not going for 1 game is arguably detrimental to giving the team the best chance to have the playoff experience it typically wants.

"I didn't give you the best chance to play a another game in the next round but dang it I guaranteed you had the chance to lose again in this round!"

Quote:

The practice promotes the overuse and subsequent injury of young pitchers

That's a gigantic stretch. Do you have an anecdote or something that upset you?

And 3 games in a weekend with advancement on the line...certainly might push a coach to throw their top guy(s) too much.

I know many coaches who have had to make this choice many times. It turns out every one I know seems very thoughtful about it and weighs a lot of considerations.
96ags
AG
So your coach chose one game, huh. Just kidding.

Simply put, I believe baseball at all levels is played in series for a reason. Especially in the high school game. Heck, you even play each district opponent 2 and sometimes 3 times before you determine a district champ.

The single game playoff is the equivalent of playing a football game only until halftime.

In my opinion (and experience) the single game option is a crutch for football coaches that coach baseball. Coaches that lack the ability or willingness to develop more pitchers.

BCSWguru
must be nice to watch only 5A and 6A baseball. good luck finding a pitching staff at the smaller schools. nothing says playoff baseball like a 16-12 game.
96ags
AG
LSCSN said:

must be nice to watch only 5A and 6A baseball. good luck finding a pitching staff at the smaller schools. nothing says playoff baseball like a 16-12 game.
That is a fair point.

I'll admit I'm very spoiled. I have probably seen over half of the top 25 5A and 6A teams play this year.

WES2006AG
AG
96ags said:

I want to get my annual rant in about the lunacy that is single game playoffs in high school baseball.

• There is no justification for a single game outside of weather cancelling a series
  • If you are a coach that advocates for it you are cheating your team out of playoff games
  • Coin flips are dumb

There, I feel better.
So you are saying that a coach who has one stud pitcher going against a team with multiple stud pitchers is a ***** for wanting to give his team the best chance to advance to the next round?

That is a pretty weak take.

I agree that a series is better (especially as a high school baseball umpire) but doing what is best for your team doesn't make you a *****.
WES2006AG
AG
Meant to edit my original post not reply.
96ags
AG
WES2006AG said:

96ags said:

• Coin flips are dumb

There, I feel better.
So you are saying that a coach who has one stud pitcher going against a team with multiple stud pitchers is a ***** for wanting to give his team the best chance to advance to the next round?

That is a pretty weak take.

I agree that a series is better (especially as a high school baseball umpire) but doing what is best for your team doesn't make you a *****.
Yep, that's what I'm saying. But I believe that a single game should never be considered period. Wish the vote would have gone through this summer to get rid of it all together.

If the goal is to determine the better TEAM, then a series is the only way. One good pitcher does not a team make.
TXAggie2011
AG
96ags said:

So your coach chose one game, huh. Just kidding.

Simply put, I believe baseball at all levels is played in series for a reason. Especially in the high school game. Heck, you even play each district opponent 2 and sometimes 3 times before you determine a district champ.

The single game playoff is the equivalent of playing a football game only until halftime.

In my opinion (and experience) the single game option is a crutch for football coaches that coach baseball. Coaches that lack the ability or willingness to develop more pitchers.

If you're gonna get snarky about my perspective, some disclosure on that: my dad has a hall of fame level career coaching the diamond sports at the high school level on up to division. 1. Almost hired by A&M back before I was born. Worked out for both.

He liked the 1 game sometimes, he wanted the 3 games at other times. Ditto for his coaching buddies

Some coaches might not have a damn idea what they're doing, but you're terribly over generalizing and maybe the professionals actually know a little bit more than you want to admit.
TXAggie2011
AG
And yeah, more games gives a better indication of who is the better team.

But the coach's job isn't to make sure the true, honest better team advances.
CinchAG97
I'm going to agree with most of the premise here - one game playoff games likely do not advance the best overall team. My son's team is about to start the playoffs and looking ahead there are at least two teams that we HAVE to have a 3 game series against. One team has a 96-98 mph righty and the other has a 92 mph lefty.

Those teams would love a one game playoff, of course. They could win a 1-0 game just due to the pitcher. But, they may not have much behind #1 pitcher.

Our team doesn't have a stud. We have 2 really good pitchers, 2 solid pitchers and 1-2 decent pitchers. And we hit the ball well. But we haven't faced 90+. It's likely we lose game 1, but we have a solid chance to win games 2 & 3.

Alternatively, there's a chance we will face the defending state champs at some point and they returned 7 starters from last year. I'd be all for a one game playoff versus them because we might get lucky in a one game. Lucky being the key word. They are the better team, but baseball is a game where on the right day, any dog has a chance.
_lefraud_
AG
Major League Baseball has a one game playoff every year, and sometimes more. So yea, you're wrong on that front as well.
94chem
Wabs said:

At least in my area - summer baseball (for high schoolers)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>regular high school baseball.
Maybe, but so what? High-schoolers play for something.
Beau Bevers
AG
96ags said:

• The State Tournament in Austin/Round Rock is single elimination. I don't like the fact that teams play 3-game series until the last, most important weekend, but it would be tough to host 4 teams and expect to play 2 3-game series at one site.
    96ags
    AG
    Beau Bevers said:

96ags said:

• The State Tournament in Austin/Round Rock is single elimination. I don't like the fact that teams play 3-game series until the last, most important weekend, but it would be tough to host 4 teams and expect to play 2 3-game series at one site.
    While I don't like the way the state tournament is set up, once you get to Round Rock you have to win two games to be crowned champion.......Just like you have to win two games to win bi-district, area, etc. in a 3 game playoff.

It would be incredibly easy to do a 3 game series. It might just not be done all at Dell Diamond.
    BCSWguru
    Eventually that will change. I remember a day when 3-game series weren't a thing at all.
    Beau Bevers
    AG
    96ags said:

Beau Bevers said:

96ags said:

While I don't like the way the state tournament is set up, once you get to Round Rock you have to win two games to be crowned champion.......Just like you have to win two games to win bi-district, area, etc. in a 3 game playoff.

It would be incredibly easy to do a 3 game series. It might just not be done all at Dell Diamond.
    Yes, they still have to win 2 games, but "one-and-done" isn't conducive to crowning the best team.

And yes, I said it would be hard to host 2 3-games series consecutively at Dell, but I don't sense a willingness from the UIL to move the tournament out of Greater Austin. I wish they would, though.
    WES2006AG
    AG
    You mean 12 three-game series right?
    96ags
    AG
    Beau Bevers said:

96ags said:

Beau Bevers said:

96ags said:

Yes, they still have to win 2 games, but "one-and-done" isn't conducive to crowning the best team.

And yes, I said it would be hard to host 2 3-games series consecutively at Dell, but I don't sense a willingness from the UIL to move the tournament out of Greater Austin. I wish they would, though.
    Yeah, that brings up a whole other discussion with the UIL and Austin.
    Beau Bevers
    AG
    WES2006AG said:

Not every class plays their State Tournament at Dell. Disch-Falk is also used. Nelson Field used to host some games, too, but I don't know what the set up is nowadays.
    Beau Bevers
    AG
    96ags said:

Beau Bevers said:

96ags said:

Beau Bevers said:

96ags said:

Yeah, that brings up a whole other discussion with the UIL and Austin.
    No doubt. And that discussion needs to be had. If only there was another SXSW to drive out baseball like it did the hoops tourney.
    WES2006AG
    AG
    Beau Bevers said:

WES2006AG said:

Not every class plays their State Tournament at Dell. Disch-Falk is also used. Nelson Field used to host some games, too, but I don't know what the set up is nowadays.
    They do use both but a total of 18 series (semis and finals) all taking place on a few fields seems undoable, and that is before you add in any weather.
    Beau Bevers
    AG
    WES2006AG said:

Beau Bevers said:

WES2006AG said:

They do use both but a total of 18 series (semis and finals) all taking place on a few fields seems undoable, and that is before you add in any weather.
    Yep. It just makes it too hard for 1-2 facilities to host that many games in that short amount of time. I wish they could split up the classes and spread them around the various college/MiLB facilities around the state. There are so many more excellent facilities in Texas that have been built over the last 10-15 years.
    96ags
    AG
    It will be interesting to see if the new Perfect Game Complex in Hutto will factor into the state tournaments in the future.

24 turf fields could host a ton of games.
    WES2006AG
    AG
    wow, youth sports has become a really big business.
    Beau Bevers
    AG
    96ags said:

It will be interesting to see if the new Perfect Game Complex in Hutto will factor into the state tournaments in the future.

24 turf fields could host a ton of games.
    I wonder if PG has already been in talks with UIL. That would turn the State Tournament into a pretty sweet high school baseball festival.
    91AggieLawyer
    AG
    Beau Bevers said:

96ags said:

To me, this is the best argument AGAINST playoff series. That and the fact that it stretches the playoffs out so long since each round can only occur on weekends.

I don't recall playoff series when I was in HS, but we never made the playoffs so I wasn't personally involved. I'm not even sure we ever finished top half of district.
    96ags
    AG
    Only on weekends? what do you mean?
    Refresh
    Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.