*****Offical Texas Rangers 2019 Season Thread*****

467,141 Views | 4725 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
Schall 02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A great read. So many memories. I literally came of age at TBIA.

Memories made Globe Life Park special for Rangers fans, but the bricks were a part of 'The Temple's' appeal

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/rangers/2019/09/20/memories-made-globe-life-park-special-for-rangers-fans-but-the-bricks-were-a-part-of-the-temple-s-appeal/
wbt5845
AG
So I have tickets Wednesday and Sunday. I'm guessing we won't be allowed to take home parts of the stadium?
Grapesoda2525
wbt5845 said:

So I have tickets Wednesday and Sunday. I'm guessing we won't be allowed to take home parts of the stadium?
Not unless your kid is one of the ones playing "grab the base".
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
TDub
AG
Welp just bought my tickets for Sunday. Not ready to say goodbye to The Ballpark
dave94
AG
etxag18 said:

Welp just bought my tickets for Sunday. Not ready to say goodbye to The Ballpark
I'll be there too. Gonna be a weird vibe for sure.
gomerschlep
AG
etxag18 said:

Yep. Going with a group of friends and my brother. We've been going to games there since it opened, including the first one in 1994. My shed a sports tear or two.
TDub
AG
I'm going with my grandma. It's been our thing to go to a few a year for as long as I can remember
KT 90
AG

Disco Stu
AG
Bummer. I was looking forward to seeing him pitch in person on Saturday.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Say what you will about this season, but the team sure seems to enjoy each other and each other's success. Guzman letting that foul ball go so Minor could ring up #200 on the season, and the team's reaction, was great.
94chem
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Say what you will about this season, but the team sure seems to enjoy each other and each other's success. Guzman letting that foul ball go so Minor could ring up #200 on the season, and the team's reaction, was great.

Cora got his panties in a wad about it, but Woody aptly pointed out that the Sox retired themselves deliberately on 3 pitches in the 8th, down 2 runs. Cora is the pot calling the kettle black.
KT 90
AG
94chem said:

Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Cora got his panties in a wad about it, but Woody aptly pointed out that the Sox retired themselves deliberately on 3 pitches in the 8th, down 2 runs. Cora is the pot calling the kettle black.

Didn't see the game and haven't read any write ups yet, but why would the Red Sox deliberately do that?
concac
AG
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

I think you meant *200 Ks on the season.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Because Alex Cora is a dbag. Minor was going for his 200th K on the season. Rangers has a 2 run lead. Minor threw 3 pitches kn the 8th because Boston didn't want to strikeout. They were swing for pop outs and ground outs. Guzman failed to field a foul pop up with 1 out in the 9th so Minor could attempt to get his 200th. The next pitch was an obvious ball called strike three by the ump. In the postgame interview, Minor knew it was BS.

Just an interesting finish to an otherwise meaningless game. Would have sucked for the Rangers to lose after tempting the baseball Gods on the foul pop up.
AggieDPT
AG
Cora and the Boston media have their panties in a gigantic wad about this. Good for Mike Minor
bigcat22
AG
I think MY played a few too many games in the 100+ degree heat...

bigcat22
AG
Also, the Res Sox beat writer is throwing a fit on twitter and Minor totally called him out. Love that several other MLB players are commenting their support for Minor. Fun thread

J.P. 03
AG
Asterisks, bush league, and unprofessional? Someone needs to reply to that reporter with "please tell me you composed that self-righteous tweet on an Apple Watch" along with this picture:
Baseball Gods
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Because Alex Cora is a dbag. Minor was going for his 200th K on the season. Rangers has a 2 run lead. Minor threw 3 pitches kn the 8th because Boston didn't want to strikeout. They were swing for pop outs and ground outs. Guzman failed to field a foul pop up with 1 out in the 9th so Minor could attempt to get his 200th. The next pitch was an obvious ball called strike three by the ump. In the postgame interview, Minor knew it was BS.

Just an interesting finish to an otherwise meaningless game. Would have sucked for the Rangers to lose after tempting the baseball Gods on the foul pop up.
I APPROVE!
DannyDuberstein
AG
Red sawx suck cawx. F em.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Another interesting note on the season: there have been 44 complete games pitched in MLB this season. The Rangers have 4. Minor with 2, Lynn, Jurado, and Sampson with one each.

Pitching next season cod be interesting.
Seven Costanza
AG
In case you were wondering if 2019 Odor has a chance to have the lowest OPS for a player with at least 30 HR in a season, the answer is no. 2017 Odor takes that prize, narrowly defeating Dave Kingman.
KT 90
AG
Why would the Red Sox care if Minor got 200 k's or not?

94chem
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Looked like a borderline pitch to me. Definitely not an obvious ball.
hawk1689
AG
Why would Boston care if Minor got 200 K's? That's the part that doesn't make sense to me.
94chem
hawk1689 said:

Why would Boston care if Minor got 200 K's? That's the part that doesn't make sense to me.

Boston may not have cared, but the individual players did.
Seven Costanza
AG
hawk1689 said:

Because it makes a mockery of the game to some degree (avoiding obvious opportunities for outs in pursuit of this goal when the purpose of the game is supposed to be to try to win), albeit one that is more worthy of an eye roll than an actual outburst.
toucan82
I hope this leads to the most ridiculous bench-clearing brawl next season
KT 90
AG
Still don't get why the Red Sox had such an issue with Minor getting to 200 k's. I've seen a couple references to Holt and others laughing after they did their their "just put it in play and don't strikeout" three pitch inning. If there were issues between Minor and the Red Sox from previous, you'd think one of the writers would have mentioned it. Pretty weird.

Quote:

Also, the patient, grind-a-pitcher-into-the-dirt Red Sox were down two runs and swinging at the first pitch. Minor said that Brock Holt, the former Stephenville High School star, looked at the Rangers' dugout and laughed after his first-pitch popup in the eighth.
KT 90
AG
Also saw this in the Calhoun article from the fwst, looks like Gallo will be in RF in 2020. Sounds like we will be unloading one of Mazara/Choo on the cheap to someone this offseason. Might get an ok return for Mazara, but we'll have to send money to get someone to take on Choo's contract. Whichever one we don't move can be the primary DH. Maybe we give Mazara a look at 1B? couldn't hurt.

Quote:

With Calhoun solidly in the 2020 lineup and Joey Gallo likely moving to right field, the Rangers again find themselves with an excess of lefty-hitting corner outfielders. That can be alleviated with a trade of Nomar Mazara or Shin-Soo Choo, who has full no-trade rights as he enters the final year of his contract.

It's one of many things general manager Jon Daniels needs to tackle, along with third base, first base and a right-hander or two for the starting rotation.
South Platte
Let's tap the breaks on Calhoun. Dead pull hitter, I hope he doesn't turn into an Odor when teams get more experience pitching to him. But yes, we like what we see so far . . . in a season where we have been out of the race for 2 months with little pressure to win.
KT 90
AG
South Platte said:

Let's tap the breaks on Calhoun. Dead pull hitter, I hope he doesn't turn into an Odor when teams get more experience pitching to him. But yes, we like what we see so far . . . in a season where we have been out of the race for 2 months with little pressure to win.

His home runs are definitely mostly to RF, which indicates pull hitter. But on his batted ball spray chart his line drives (red dots) are pretty evenly distributed across the field. So I think he keeps the defense more honest by spraying the ball around than a dead pull hitter would.

https://www.fangraphs.com/spraycharts.aspx?playerid=17838&position=OF&type=battedball

Baseball Gods
First Page Last Page
Page 131 of 136

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.