*****Offical Texas Rangers 2019 Season Thread*****

467,242 Views | 4725 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Guzman is a key to this rebuild, imho. If he is not the 1B of the future, we need to figure that out. I know you guys are indifferent to how much a good defensive 1B is worth, but I'm not. He's a +talent at a position most teams hide a guy who can hit. He makes everyone else better.

What I would like to see over the last month - 0.250 BA, 6 HR, 20 RBI, K < 20.
Grapesoda2525
wbt5845 said:

Guzman is a key to this rebuild, imho. If he is not the 1B of the future, we need to figure that out. I know you guys are indifferent to how much a good defensive 1B is worth, but I'm not. He's a +talent at a position most teams hide a guy who can hit. He makes everyone else better.

What I would like to see over the last month - 0.250 BA, 6 HR, 20 RBI, K < 20.
First base defense matters to a degree, but teams usually put their best hitter at first base. Condor's bat REALLY needs to pick up.
Danny Vermin
I can finally watch a Ranger game on tv again since ESPN is actually airing it and it's not blacked out.

wbt5845
AG
Guzman had a good at bat in his second time up in 4th inning.

1 - Lays of pitch up and away 1-0
2 - Lays off pitch down and away 2-0
3 - Lays of pitch outside part of plate called strike 2-1
4 - Lays of pitch outside part of plate called strike 2-2
5 - Fouls off pitch at bottom of strike zone 2-2
6 - Lays off low pitch 3-2
7 - Lays off low pitch WALK
TXAggie2011
AG
Yikes. Take your chances with bases loaded situation, don't send a guy on left field single.
wbt5845
AG
Guzman good - a single with one RBI and one run scored. Also drew a walk.

Guzman bad - Two Ks

And how 'bout that Delino big boy HR?
Danny Vermin
Always satisfying to beat the crap out of the Yankees but will still pull for them if they play the assblows in the playoffs.
Grapesoda2525
Danny Vermin said:

Always satisfying to beat the crap out of the Yankees but will still pull for them if they play the assblows in the playoffs.
Winning the next few days is bitter sweet. It's always fun to beat the Yankees, but I don't like helping the Astros get home field advantage in the playoffs.
Grapesoda2525
Odor is the only rangers starter without a hit today.
DallasAg 94
bigcat22
AG
bigcat22
AG
Sounds like JD is cleaning house at the MiLB level today...

KT 90
AG
bigcat22 said:

Wow, that is a bunch of coaches being let go.

Grapesoda2525
bigcat22 said:

What the hell is he doing?

Is this his way of saying our triple AAA guys suck?
KT 90
AG
Bronx Bombers doing their thing tonight, 10-0 in the 7th. Paxton mowing down the Rangers so far, only has allowed one hit and one walk through 7 innings.
DannyDuberstein
AG
When you look around at the dearth of drafted and internally developed talent, something has to change. Hopefully the scouting dept is getting the same scrutiny. This organization has to select and develop more talent. Period. I'm assuming some of this is an extension of what Woody is doing - extending philosophy to the minor league staff.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Our triple a rosters have been awful, it's crazy how far they've fallen in 4-5 years
DallasAg 94
Our AAA roster was filled with placeholders that would allow us to hold our more highly touted prospects to play down levels.

I would have to go back and look, but IIRC, most of the AAA guys were FAs signed without real expectation.

Having said that... I wonder if this is a change in strategy within the organization.

I've mentioned repeatedly that Odor's strategy of HR or SO was pervasive in the Rangers organization, and Gallo, and so many others were brought up in the organization with that mentality directed by the organization.

Now all of a sudden, we are having to reprogram players. This is a failed tinkering by JD.

When you see an "Opener" give up 4 Rs in the 1st IP, you realize the dangers of gimmicks.
DannyDuberstein
AG
It's filled with placeholders because they've been **** at acquiring and developing young talent.

And yeah, between the disastrous experiment that resulted in an explosion of TJ's and now this wholesale housecleaning, it sure looks like the GM is throwing **** at the wall to see what sticks.
KT 90
AG
One or more of the beats will probably have articles on this, but here is a tweet from Even Grant on the coaching dismissals:

DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
MSFC Aggie
AG
Evan would get roasted if he posted on TexAgs
PatAg
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

KT 90 said:

One or more of the beats will probably have articles on this, but here is a tweet from Even Grant on the coaching dismissals:

Rangers move some guys from lower ranks up, higher some real analytics-friendly guys at lower levels.

it's a tweet, not an article in a newspaper. Concentrate more on the message.
94chem
94chem said:

You guys can check standings all you want. I get it. It's fun to see the Rangers in the WC spot. But the reality is that it's gonna take 90 wins to be in the conversation. Either Boston or Cleveland will get hot at some point. If they don't, Oakland will pull some 22-6 month out of nowhere. The bottom of the AL is incredibly soft, and I don't see an 86 win team making the playoffs.

The point is that we shouldn't be asking how to stay ahead of Boston or Cleveland. We should be figuring out if there is a solid path to 90 wins without mortgaging the future.

Quoting myself because it looks like management pulled the plug at the right time. I'm sure the Gallo injury helped move things along. The Rangers of my youth would have sold their souls at the ASB to get an aging RH bat and a #4 pitcher. Calhoun and Guzman would be gone. Then the next season when they were 20 games out, they would have dumped Andrus, Mazara, Santana, Minor, and Lynn for B-level prospects.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Update on the pitching view. Not that anything has really changed, but always good to take a step back and track things. I think Allard pitching last night is what facilitated this.

Minor: 28 GS, 181.2 IP, 180 K, 3.12 ERA, 1.19 WHIP
LLynn: 29 GS, 181.2 IP, 209 K, 3.81 ERA, 1.26 WHIP

Allard (22-L): 6 GS, 33.1 IP, 29 K, 3.78 ERA, 1.38 WHIP
Jurado (23-R): 17 GS, 116.2 IP, 78 K, 5.40 ERA, 1.46 WHIP (29G)
Sampson (: 15 GS, 117.0 IP, 94 K, 5.85 ERA, 1.55 WHIP (30G)

Burke (23-L): 3 GS, 18.0 IP, 11 K, 1.50 ERA, 1.06 WHIP

Payano (24-R): 4 GS, 22.0 IP, 17 K, 5.73 ERA, 1.86 WHIP (6G). Hasn't pitched in a game since Aug15. He was outrighted to AAA.
Palumbo (24-L): 3 GS, 10.2 IP, 9 K, 11.81 ERA, 1.97 WHIP (4G). Out with Blister. His 3 GS are June19, July 7, Aug20, so he hasn't really gotten much of a look.

Another good outing by Allard, last night (6.1, 1ER, 89PC). We now know he can beat the less dominating teams (GS: Mil, Tor, LAAA, CHW, Sea, Bal). Even if he struggles against better teams, he is quickly solidifying himself as an Innings eater and a guy who can keep us in the game deep into the game. Avg 5 1/3 IP/GS. Next start looks to be vTampa and then likely @Houston, then vBoston, then vNYY. So, I think we should get a look.

Minor remains 4th in AL ERA. Lynn is 13th in AL ERA.

Each start by Allard grows my confidence in the rotation for 2020. He is very poised in the after-game interviews.
The prognosticators appear to be right. When we acquired Allard, they said he projects to be a pretty solid #5 starter and possibly a #4. By any measure, he would appear to be a very good #5. There are some teams where he wouldn't crack their top 4 in the rotation, but he's still a nice piece to have and looks like he will probably be a guy you can ask to start about 30 games a year.

I guess we will see how he holds up physically and how he handles tougher competition.
DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG
From TR Sullivans mailbag:

Quote:

What pitcher do you think the Rangers will target this off season given the types they have signed in the past, like Mike Minor and Lance Lynn?
-- Larry B., Arlington

This is going to be a relatively deep free-agent market for starting pitchers, led by Gerrit Cole, Hyun-Jin Ryu and Madison Bumgarner. The Rangers will look mid-market and maybe take a chance on somebody not at the top of the list. Two guys who might be intriguing are Reds left-hander Alex Wood and Cardinals right-hander Michael Wacha. Both are under 30, both have had some success and have also had some injury setbacks. Those are two that kind of fit the Lynn/Minor mold out of this free-agent class.
Sullivan is usually pretty dialed in, so anybody expecting the Rangers to go after Cole may need to tap the brakes I guess. I can't see giving Ryu big money, he gets hurt too much and hasn't been able to put up many innings (and is fading late this season). Bumgarner is a big name, but he's not the pitcher he was when the Giants were winning world series titles, so I guess it would depend on how much money he is seeking as to level of interest. Wacha sounds interesting and he might be interested in returning to pitch in Texas again. He put up some good numbers at first, but injuries have been dragging him down. Not sure about Wood, we already have a lefty in the rotation with Minor and have several of our top pitching prospects are also lefties (so that might be a negative for Bumgarner and Ryu too.... who are also lefties.

KT 90
AG
And can we play Baltimore more often? Rangers actually came away with a sweep. Solak still hitting well, Odor even had a couple of HR's over the weekend. Not that I got to watch much of it, football season and school for my kids are eating into the Ranger tv time lately.

DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG
We have to do something about the too many left handed hitters issue this off-season. Need to move one of Mazara/Choo. Calhoun is young and affordable, so we need to keep him.

We need to find a spot for Solak, even if it's mostly splitting the DH slot with a LH hitter.

And find another veteran starter to go with Minor/Lynn/Allard/Burke. Cole would be awesome, but more likely it'll be a Wacha type. I could live with giving Wacha a shot. He was recently a promising young starter, but need to get him straightened out health-wise.

First Page Last Page
Page 129 of 136

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.