*****Offical Texas Rangers 2019 Season Thread*****

467,630 Views | 4725 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
DallasAg 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DallasAg 94
Proposition Joe
DallasAg 94 said:

Proposition Joe said:

He is saying that about a player *on his team*.

In an article *about* Odor where the writer wants comments *about* Odor.

You think if Woodward was coaching a team that Jose Bautista was on that he'd be saying the same things about Odor publicly?

It doesn't mean a thing. It's the sports equivalent of thinking because you called a former employer about a reference and they solely verify the dates of employment that they must have been a good employee otherwise they would have said otherwise.

I mean, I get that we're on a 24/7 sports-cycle so the talking heads and click-bait writers have to always have SOME kind of story... but I assumed any regular sports fan was wise enough to understand that a coach or teammate saying positive things about a player means absolutely nothing.

Go read some of those books about players who have nothing to lose regarding their historical image -- you find out real quick that a lot of these "real great clubhouses" were filled with guys who were racist, *******s and flat out did not like one another.
So, why would a coach publicly reference information that would be easily disputable?

If you are right, I think it is pretty ballsy of Woody to reference a conversation he had with a player that doesn't play for him, and AFAIK, has never played for him:

Quote:

Adrian Beltre, who I respect deeply, told me he's a really good teammate, cares about his team.

If that is coach speak... maybe you are right. Maybe I need to read some books. You really think that conversation didn't happen? Will Beltre allow his name to be used like that about a guy like Odor?

BTW, give me an example of one of those "real great clubhouse guys," that was a racist ******* and was not liked by his teammates.

When asked about Robinson Cano's suspension, Mark Teixeira said, "Yeah, we all expected that."

Manny Ramirez was "liked" by his teammates. It wasn't that he was a reall great clubhouse guy, it was that he helped the team win, and "Manny being Manny."

Puig? I believe Trevor Bauer was so hated by his teammates, they traded one of their best pitchers during a playoff run.

Yeah, some reporter is going to track down every single Seattle Mariner during Woodward's time there to confirm/deny that he did in fact say he thought Odor was a good player.

You bring up a list of guys that *weren't* liked by their teammates. I already said in a previous post that if you hear negative things from teammates then you know it's bad.

But generic comments like "he's a good teammate"? Surely you don't put a lot of weight into that.

You think every player the last 7-8 years thought our former hoops coach was good? Every interview the player's spoke positively of him. Even now that he's gone if asked they all say he was a great coach.

You don't really think they all thought he was a great coach, do you?
KT 90
AG
Quote:

That allows the Rangers to say: "Mazara, Guzman, Choo, DeShields, IKF, Odor... we're open for trade discussions."

Yikes, we aren't getting much of anything for any of those. Mazara will bring something, but not as much as a year or two back. DeShields is actually hitting .250+ this year, but still, there would only be limited interest and not much of a return I would suspect.

Yes, Taveras is looking to be the CF by 2021. Maybe even 2020, but if we do that he won't hit much. Seems to take him a year or so to adjust to each level as he moves up (which is normal). So AAA for 2021 would be optimal for him. He started slow this year, but seems to be coming on with the bat the second half of the season as he adjusted to AA.

DallasAg 94
Proposition Joe
You're the guy that reads the piece on the struggling player after one good game where they attribute the small success to some change in approach like "thinking less at the plate" and think that is about to turn the player around.

Then 3 weeks later when the struggles continue and a similar article is written about the approach of "thinking more at the plate" and think that is about to turn the player around.

Reality is someone just needed to hammer out 500 words on the team and that has been the easy write for 3 decades now.

Woodward isn't an idiot. He's a first year coach that is going to say positive things about every single player on his team (and probably every single player on every other team if you asked him).
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525
Proposition Joe said:

Woodward isn't an idiot. He's a first year coach that is going to say positive things about every single player on his team (and probably every single player on every other team if you asked him).
This right here.

I'm hoping woodward has come in and played the " nice guy / give everyone a shot" for this year only. In the offseason, I'd like to see him really evaluate this lineup and figure out ways to fix it. We get shut down way too often.

We pretty much have holes at second base, catcher ( no matter who we run out there), 3rd base, and a log jam in the outfield. I know the front office didn't put much resources and effort into the roster this offseason, but that needs to change next year. I'd like to see several underperforming guys moved, demoted, or jettisoned and a few good free agent signings.

Lynn and minor appear to be great pitchers to build around. We just gotta fix the lineup.
DallasAg 94
wbt5845
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Quote:

I know the front office didn't put much resources and effort into the roster this offseason, but that needs to change next year. I'd like to see several underperforming guys moved, demoted, or jettisoned and a few good free agent signings.

I wouldn't say effort. The team just had their hands tied financially by the owners. And who can blame them? If the team wasn't going to contend, say those $$$ for the years when they will.
Baby Billy
AG
Remember this like it was yesterday
https://instagr.am/p/B1MQMOknSK-
Grapesoda2525
wbt5845 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Quote:

I know the front office didn't put much resources and effort into the roster this offseason, but that needs to change next year. I'd like to see several underperforming guys moved, demoted, or jettisoned and a few good free agent signings.

I wouldn't say effort. The team just had their hands tied financially by the owners. And who can blame them? If the team wasn't going to contend, say those $$$ for the years when they will.
I don't know for sure, but aren't we the 5th biggest media market in the country? Texas is a big state with lots of wealth. There's no excuse for Davis and Simpson to run this team like we're TB or Cleveland.
DallasAg 94
Proposition Joe
Grapesoda2525 said:

wbt5845 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Quote:

I don't know for sure, but aren't we the 5th biggest media market in the country? Texas is a big state with lots of wealth. There's no excuse for Davis and Simpson to run this team like we're TB or Cleveland.

I think this year it was excusable... No sense in going out after some big free agent acquisitions to try and compete for WC if everything went right. Remember this looked like a 70 win team coming into the year.

I think if anyone had the inkling Minor and Lynn were going to put up years like they did, the off-season would have looked a lot different.

But that means this off-season it's put up or shut up time. We're still likely going to be going after the wildcard in 2020, but at some point you can't keep pulling the "there were a number of options out there but nothing looked great to us".

At minimum we need one big time free agent signing -- a 4-5 WAR guy, whether it be pitcher or hitter. Would prefer two, but there's just not a ton of options out there.

Then work on a trade to go for it at the deadline.
Disco Stu
AG
I don't know about any plans of having Santana at 3rd next year, he's been practicing there during the season but has yet to make an appearance in a game. I think that if that practice had been going well he would have made an appearance over there already.

He has a career fielding percentage of .889 in 34.2 innings at 3rd. Maybe with a full spring training? I doubt it.
bigcat22
AG
Not sure if it's been discussed, but I've been wondering if Bob Simpson's divorce has anything to do with the lack of spending the past year or so
DannyDuberstein
AG
I would doubt much impact. I just don't knock there past couple of offseasons on being cheap. I think you need a nucleus of success where spending is something to get you over the hump, and that core hasn't been there. None of us looked at this team that way even tough the success it's had this year surprised us. I wouldn't have been spending either.

He got married in 1998 (after he was already leading XTO) and 10 years later nearly divorced due to his wife being an alcoholic and a cokehead. So I'm hoping he was smart enough to isolate his assets pretty well. I also think Ray Davis owns more of the team, not to mention, there are other partners too.
Grapesoda2525
DannyDuberstein said:

I would doubt much impact. I just don't knock there past couple of offseasons on being cheap. I think you need a nucleus of success where spending is something to get you over the hump, and that core hasn't been there. None of us looked at this team that way even tough the success it's had this year surprised us. I wouldn't have been spending either.

He got married in 1998 (after he was already leading XTO) and 10 years later nearly divorced due to his wife being an alcoholic and a cokehead. So I'm hoping he was smart enough to isolate his assets pretty well. I also think Ray Davis owns more of the team, not to mention, there are other partners too.
I wouldn't mind if they sold it to Mark Cuban.
hawk1689
AG
Santana is awful defensively on the infield. I can see him being serviceable at 1B because he'll make up for his defense with his bat. He'd also be good as a utility player that can get 400 AB's through 1B, 2B, OF, and DH. I think they need to move Choo and then decide on who they like between Calhoun, Deshields, Heineman, Gallo, Mazara, and maybe even Guzman (assuming they could move one of the above to 1B).
DallasAg 94
Schall 02
AG
What makes anyone think this team will sign an impact free agent?

#Sameasiteverwas
MSFC Aggie
AG
Here we go again
bigcat22
AG
Schall 02 said:

What makes anyone think this team will sign an impact free agent?

#Sameasiteverwas

Depends on the meaning of impact free agent. This teams isn't a Gerrit Cole away from competing. They need to try and fill some of the major holes in the line up, build a solid foundation and see if there are any Pence, Santana or Lynn type guys that could add short term value or be trade pieces at the deadline.

Schall 02
AG
Agreed. Cole ain't coming here unless we money whip him, which we will not. But he and those like him are what I mean by an impact free agent. Call it roughly 3.0+ WAR.
Baby Billy
AG
Checking in on Derek Holland

https://instagr.am/p/B1NVme-A6Ka
wbt5845
AG
Grapesoda2525
wbt5845 said:

Dallasag is coming for you.

I'm ready to see them give solak a shot! He's tearing it up in triple A
DallasAg 94
wbt5845
AG
Is Josh drunk?
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Probably should have had someone warming up in the bullpen before the first pitch. I don't think Jurado has the stuff to be a starter.
Grapesoda2525
Twinkies are destroying this pitching staff.
DallasAg 94
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
DANNY SANTANA!!!
gigem1223
Hambone is such a meathead but I can't help but love the guy. Listening to him and Murph go back and forth, you could tell Murph studied the game and his opponents to try and get any edge he could while Josh just showed up and played. What could've been if he would've taken better care of his body better. Not too many with more natural talent.
bigcat22
AG
In the spirit of Hamilton night, thought I would share this piece he wrote for the players tribune a few days ago...

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/josh-hamilton-texas-rangers-beyond-grateful/
First Page Last Page
Page 121 of 136

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.