*****Offical Texas Rangers 2019 Season Thread*****

468,295 Views | 4725 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

The rangers are currently on pace for the single season strikeout record by a team.

This hero ball / swing for the fences stuff isn't working for this team. A hit to the gap and a race to the plate is just as exciting, if not more so, then a home run. I'd rather have a lineup that's known for being a tough out, tough to strike out, with an emphasis on putting the ball in play over swinging for the fences every AB.

Odor has been fortunate that most of his hits have come with men on base. A lot of guys in our lineup come up to the plate with the bases empty because of hero ball.
They are 4th in Runs scored. Tell me how this "hero ball" isn't working for this team.

This isn't Ice Capades or a Musical. Baseball isn't basketball or ice hockey. Tom Lites already tried to change it to that type of atmosphere and darn near lost ALL of the fans.

And there you go with the "most of his runs came against crappy pitchers." The guy hits 6th and 7th. You can't tell me he gets more ABs with men on base, when Santana is usually hitting after Choo, who is almost always on base.

The difference is Choo gets walked and Santana hits a single. The inning ends with Choo on 3rd and Santana on 2nd.

You don't have to like the way baseball is played today, but to say what Odor is doing is ineffective is dump.

Moneyball effectively said a Sac Bunt is a wasted out. Statistics proved it has lost it's value based on hitters driving the ball. I love a good Sac Bunt... and the Rangers have increased them this season.

Rangers are 4th in Runs scored... and Odor is leading the way. The BA as a measure of success is antiquated. The Rangers are winning games because they are scoring lots of Runs. They are losing games because they are giving up Runs.

Oakland had 6 Runs last night, all scored on the 4 HRs. And they won the game. Rangers had 11 Hits. Look back and asterisk this game as a Rangers victory, because they won the Hit battle 11-6.
for someone trying to present themselves as really knowledgeable about the youth scene, and currently about statistics, why the hell are you even talking about rbi's and hr's? You're aware its not 1992 anymore?
Grapesoda2525
Who thinks we make a move today?

I'm still hoping that Cabrera, forsythe, pence, Martin, and minor aren't on this team on August 1st.
wbt5845
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

I'm still hoping that Cabrera, forsythe, pence, Martin, and minor aren't on this team on August 1st.

And Choo. (And Odor if we can find a brain dead GM somewhere)
Grapesoda2525
wbt5845 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

And Choo. (And Odor if we can find a brain dead GM somewhere)
Odor ain't going anywhere. Choo probably would veto any deal.
DallasAg 94
PatAg said:

for someone trying to present themselves as really knowledgeable about the youth scene, and currently about statistics, why the hell are you even talking about rbi's and hr's? You're aware its not 1992 anymore?
I'm not really sure what that means... "youth scene, and currently about statistics." I follow the Rangers minor-league pitching. Been doing that since the '90s, always trying to figure out who the Rangers have to call-up to fill the void.

I'm not a Sabremetrics guy. I mostly post basic stats - Avg, HR, SB, ERA, WHIP, Ks, HRs, RBIs. I am often occussed of using obscure stats, but never told what those are. Now you are complaining that I'm not advanced enough in my statistics. So which is it?

Those are still legitimate statistics to follow. There are newer statistics available to give context to those. BARISP is a good one. HRs and RBIs alone may not tell the entire story... but they are a great standard that stands the test of time.

THE biggest complaint on here about Odor is his Batting Average. Next is his K%. Gallo has been celebrated on here about what the new regime has done to improve him, and I love the increase in BA. But, his K% hasn't changed and is worse than Odors.

I'm told Odor only has more RBIs because most of his HRs are with runners on base. When presented that Gallo had the exact same PAs with RISP and that it was Odor's BARISP that made the difference. That Gallo had 4 and Odor had 12 in the SAME number of PAs... that was interesting... no?

If your #6/#7 guy in the order is leading your team in RBIs, it doesn't matter what decade you compare... that is a problem. Your run production should come from the #3, #4 and #5 spot. Do you disagree?
KT 90
AG

Front Range Ag
AG
Atlanta should probably still be suffering from PTSD when the potential for a trade with Texas comes up. That Teixeira trade was fantastic for our side.
Grapesoda2525
KT 90 said:

Would love to send them Mazara or Choo.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

KT 90 said:

Santana... Send them Santana and get like 4 MLB players. A closer... a SS... maybe a Catcher... and a SP.
KT 90
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

KT 90 said:

Being an NL team, I'd think Mazara is the most realistic option due to lack of defense for Choo. Maraza isn't very good either on defense, but at least he has an arm. Choo also has to approve any trade... plus he's due 20+ million next year.

But who knows, maybe we can package Choo with Minor and send them both to Atlanta.
wbt5845
AG
Choo is the better hitter - depends on what the Braves need. He is an older veteran too - that's an asset to a young team trying to make the playoffs. Hell, offer them DeLino and see what you can get - we got plenty of CFs in the pipeline.
J.P. 03
AG
Here's what I don't understand about the Choo situation: if the Rangers do nothing, they're stuck paying him a boatload of money this year and another boatload next year to play on a team with no postseason potential while taking ABs away from younger prospects they'd like to evaluate and/or get more experience for.

So compared to that, why wouldn't you agree to eat his contract since you'd have to pay him anyway and ship him somewhere now that could net you a decent prospect in return? Seems like the less an acquiring team has to pay dollar-wise, the more they'd be willing to pay prospect-wise.
DallasAg 94
J.P. 03 said:

Here's what I don't understand about the Choo situation: if the Rangers do nothing, they're stuck paying him a boatload of money this year and another boatload next year to play on a team with no postseason potential while taking ABs away from younger prospects they'd like to evaluate and/or get more experience for.

So compared to that, why wouldn't you agree to eat his contract since you'd have to pay him anyway and ship him somewhere now that could net you a decent prospect in return? Seems like the less an acquiring team has to pay dollar-wise, the more they'd be willing to pay prospect-wise.
I don't recall seeing Choo's name floated on trades. Not just now, but in the past either. I know we don't like Choo, as fans. But I have heard Woody, and I believe Banny said the same thing. Nobody on the team works harder than Choo.

During one of the broadcasts (last week), it was mentioned that Odor has taken a leadership role in the meetings regarding hitting. Like it or not, Odor haters... The broadcast indicated with Beltre gone, Odor has really filled the role and he aspires to be the guy to fill that need.

You have:
Mazara (24)
Calhoun (24)
DeShields (26)
Gallo (25)
Guzman (24)
IKF (24)
Odor (25)

I wonder if Choo is a clubhouse fixture who sets the tone on work ethic, where Odor brings the energy, enthusiasm and bravado.

Andrus is more the silent leader by example.
Rossko
AG
Morosi on MLB network just mentioned the Rangers having interest in Trey Mancini as a long term buy.
DallasAg 94
Rossko said:

Morosi on MLB network just mentioned the Rangers having interest in Trey Mancini as a long term buy.
Please tell me Morosi is getting fed this info by Baltimore to drive interest. He is Arb eligible next year. maybe Baltimore is trying to push him to sign a contract, to drive down his Arb... or maybe there is interest in him and Baltimore is trying to drive the price up.

That's the kind of stuff that doesn't make sense to me. Are they giving up on Guzman? Can Mazara or Gallo not play 1B? Even Santana could be the guy at 1st. I think it would be a waste of his athleticism, but geez.

Guzman is 24.283 and career .221, 24 HRs. He has had 191 G and 655 PA.

Trey Mancini made his debut at 24.186.
His 1st year (2016) he went 5G, 15 PA, .357, 3 HRs.
At 25, he went .293, 24 HRs
At 26, he went .242, 24 HRs
At 27, he is .280, 24 HRs

He is 27.134. So, 3 years after his debut.

For all intents, aside from 5G in 2016, Mancini hadn't really played at the MLB, until after he turned the age that Guzman is today.

Last year (at age 23), Guzman went 123 G, .235 and 16 HRs. Not a huge deficit over what Mancini did last year at age 26.
KT 90
AG
J.P. 03 said:

It's easier said than done to trade Choo. He's an aging DH type that is limited in the field, is paid well over the going rate for DH's, and he also has to approve any trade. It's been well documented that he's good for the clubhouse and the younger players as well. I'd love to be able to move his salary, but it's tough to do. Would have to pick up most of the tab. With just one year left on the contract for 2020, it is a little more doable, but like I mentioned, he has to approve the trade.

hawk1689
AG
He's a RHB.
jtstanley4621
AG
hawk1689 said:

He's a RHB.
I'll stop you right there then. I only want him if he's a LHB who can hit for power but struggles with average.
Rossko
AG
Right, he's a RHB that plays OF/1B. At this point if Woodward wants a guy, I'm on board with it. Let him do his thing and put the players he needs in place. He knows the types of players needed to win better than we do.
jtstanley4621
AG
Rossko said:

Right, he's a RHB that plays OF/1B. At this point if Woodward wants a guy, I'm on board with it. Let him do his thing and put the players he needs in place. He knows the types of players needed to win better than we do.
I think Woodward is going to end up being a good manager for the Rangers. I'm all in favor of letting him ID players and get the guys he wants. It's worked out so far.
hawk1689
AG
You forgot to mention striking out 1/3 of the time.
TXAggie2011
AG
Mancini is miles ahead of Guzman at this point, if it's really an either/or thing. Sure, Mancini is 2.5-3 years older than Guzman.

Maybe Guzman makes some strides but that's purely speculative at this point. Right now, he's taken a step back from last season and is having a baaad year. And Mancini is hardly an old player at 27.

My concern would be that Mancini would be yet another Rangers hitter that looks like he really belongs at DH and not in the field.
Grapesoda2525
hawk1689 said:

I guess it's ok if they swing for the fences no matter what and have a scrappy attitude that is endearing to the casual fans.
Grapesoda2525
TXAggie2011 said:

Mancini is miles ahead of Guzman at this point, if it's really an either/or thing. Sure, Mancini is 2.5-3 years older than Guzman.

Maybe Guzman makes some strides but that's purely speculative at this point. Right now, he's taken a step back from last season and is having a baaad year. And Mancini is hardly an old player at 27.

My concern would be that Mancini would be yet another Rangers hitter that looks like he really belongs at DH and not in the field.
I've never been sold on condor. Quite frankly, I'm not sold on odor or Mazara either. I wouldn't fault this front office for acquiring proven and controllable bats if nobody wants to give us pitching prospects.
DallasAg 94
Rossko said:

I would hope during the season, Woody has limited, if any involvement in strategic trades.
DallasAg 94
hawk1689 said:

The good news about striking out is, you prevent the GIDP.

Noted: RHB. Definitely need more RHBs.
Noted: K% 22% this season.
wbt5845
AG
I'm leery of letting Guzman go because we have such a bad track record of letting good first basemen go too soon. Hell, he and Mazara are only 24. Power hitters mature later, right?
KT 90
AG

wbt5845
AG
KT 90 said:

It's happening! [/gif]
DallasAg 94
wbt5845 said:

I'm leery of letting Guzman go because we have such a bad track record of letting good first basemen go too soon. Hell, he and Mazara are only 24. Power hitters mature later, right?
That was my point. At this point in Guzman's age... Mancini was not even playing in MLB. Those giving up on Guzman surely realize he, Odor and Mazara are all young players. Ahead of where Mancini was at the same age.

Look forward 3 years... will Guzman be where Mancini is? Likely past him.

One of the flaws in JD's strategy was going too heavy on HS players and not trading off enough LATAM players early.

Draft a HS kid at 17/18 and you have until he is 22-23 (5 yrs), when he becomes Rule V.
Draft a college kid at 20/21 and you have him until he is 24 or 25 (4yrs).

Once Rule V eligible, you have to carry them on the 40.

For LATAM players who are signed at 16... they are Rule V at 21.

The Rangers have had to push their players too fast, which then burns their MLB eligibility of 3 Serf/3Arb years. By the time a player reaches his prime (27), many of the Rangers are already FAs.
wbt5845
AG
We have tix tonight. But with temp at 102, wife is driving up to get the yearbook, getting right back in her car and going home.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

That was my point. At this point in Guzman's age... Mancini was not even playing in MLB. Those giving up on Guzman surely realize he, Odor and Mazara are all young players. Ahead of where Mancini was at the same age.

Look forward 3 years... will Guzman be where Mancini is? Likely past him.

I just don't give a darn that Guzman is playing really poorly at an age that Mancini was playing in the minor leagues.

I'm not "giving up" on anyone, but Mancini has now has 2 productive seasons in the last 3 years and he is entering the prime of his career.

In 3 years Guzman might be ahead of Mancini, or Guzman might not be ahead of Mancini. Like I said above, that's pure speculation.

I have no idea what Rougned Odor has to do with this. Other than that he's an example that no one is guaranteed to get better just because they're a year older.
hawk1689
AG
I wasn't arguing for or against a Mancini trade. I was just pointing out that we desperately need a middle of the order RHB and that might be why Daniels is entertaining a trade. I think Guzman is going to be a fine player, however, I think he's got the lowest ceiling of all our young southpaws. I wouldn't hate a move involving the two.
Old Tom Morris
Deshields just Canseco'd one
wbt5845
AG
Mallex Smith is a very fast man.
First Page Last Page
Page 109 of 136

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.