*****Offical Texas Rangers 2019 Season Thread*****

468,397 Views | 4725 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
bigcat22
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Early talk is that Gallo could be out a month... great
aggietony2010
AG
You'd think that a world series win and a great team would help the Astros fan base insecurity...but then you get this thread.

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3047430/1#discussion

Correct me if I'm wrong, but pretty much the entire *circle jerk/rangers gonna be triggered" portion takes place without a single Rangers fan getting involved from atm2004s first post to Schmendlers. Even the Cruz HR gif is anti-Ranger.

They're objectively a better baseball program, yet they still have to bring up the Rangers in a completely unrelated thread.

Anyway, I'm not glad Gallo is hurt, but if we needed any more indication that this is a sell year, this is it. We don't need a 4 game streak convincing us the WC2 is in reach.
God save the Patriarchy!
Grapesoda2525
aggietony2010 said:

You'd think that a world series win and a great team would help the Astros fan base insecurity...but then you get this thread.

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3047430/1#discussion

Correct me if I'm wrong, but pretty much the entire *circle jerk/rangers gonna be triggered" portion takes place without a single Rangers fan getting involved from atm2004s first post to Schmendlers. Even the Cruz HR gif is anti-Ranger.

They're objectively a better baseball program, yet they still have to bring up the Rangers in a completely unrelated thread.

Anyway, I'm not glad Gallo is hurt, but if we needed any more indication that this is a sell year, this is it. We don't need a 4 game streak convincing us the WC2 is in reach.

I gave up on this season a week or so ago.

It's all about individual development of players now and hoping our front office does a good job with the trade deadline.
Grapesoda2525
And yeah......

I really don't get the unnecessary hate for us from Houston fans. We're only major rivals in one sport in my opinion. We never play in football. The mavs main rival is definitely the Spurs.

It really doesn't make sense. I never think about the Texans, they're an irrelevant team and irrelevant to me personally. I think they're just jealous because this is primarily a football state, we have 5 super bowl championships, and the Texans will probably never get one.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I'm behind enemy lines down here and it really is this weird city wide obsession with hating anything from Dallas. The Chronicle literally puts up lists of reasons to hate Dallas.
Old Tom Morris
Tiniest dicked, most pathetic fanbase I've come across. Folks from Houston seem to have the biggest little man complex I've ever seen.
Grapesoda2525
Old Tom Morris said:

Tiniest dicked, most pathetic fanbase I've come across. Folks from Houston seem to have the biggest little man complex I've ever seen.
I'm definitely rooting for the Yankees or dodgers to kick their ass in the playoffs. That fan base is insufferable.
DallasAg 94
Between the Brazos (Ft Worth) and the Trinity (Dallas), all of the waste runoff from the Metroplex lands in their lap.

Yeah... I'd be pissed, too.
jtstanley4621
AG
Ranger #007 said:

I'm behind enemy lines down here and it really is this weird city wide obsession with hating anything from Dallas. The Chronicle literally puts up lists of reasons to hate Dallas.
I never had any ill will whatsoever towards Houston sports teams until I came to A&M. Now that is not the case. Cannot wait until this Astros window is closed.
wbt5845
AG
I'm indifferent about Houston sports teams, Astros included. We owned their asses long enough.

It is funny watching their window close and their fan base acting like they'll be on top forever. No, you gutted your system and played your AAA team at the MLB level for a couple of years, then made some good trades and FA signings to get to the top.

You're now starting to pay guys too much to keep it going and suffering too many injuries due to age. This is what the off ramp looks like. Not that there's anything wrong with that - it's just the natural cycle. Stay on top for 7 years like we did - that's the hard part.
bigcat22
AG
Ranger #007 said:

I am also behind enemy lines down here and can confirm this post. It's so weird I never gave any thought towards Houston sports teams until I went to A&M and was told how it was this big "rivalry". Such a weird obsession.
wbt5845
AG
This is where the hate comes from

DallasAg 94
We have talked about the "new" approach for some hitters in the all-or-nothing results. Either a HR or a SO, versus the traditional approach of moving runners around and taking what the pitcher/defense gives you.

Mind you... I grew up watching the Dodgers with great pitching and prefer the small-ball style of moving runners around and manufacturing runs.

Consider Odor and Santana, in July:

Odor: .265 BA, .271 OBP, 68 AB, 12 R, 8 HR, 21 RBI, 28 K, 18 H
Santana: .379, .400 OBP, 58 AB, 7 R, 4 HR, 11 RBI, 19 K, 22 H

So, without considering anyone on base, you have the following:
Odor had 18 H, and 8 were HRs. That gives him 8 Runs and 8 RBI.
Santana had 22 H, and 4 were HRs. That is 4R and 4 RBI.

6 of Odor's hits were singles, 1 BB, 0 SB.
13 of Santana's hits were singles, 2BB and he had 3 SBs

Odor has been hitting almost exclusively at #6 or #7. Most of him being #2 in the order was early in the season. Santana has replaced him in the #2 spot. I'll assume for July, that Santana was #2 and Odor was either 6th or 7th.

Choo is batting leadoff, and his OBP in July is .380. Andrus bats after Santana. We generally go: Choo-Santana-Andrus

Cabrera bats 6th, when Odor bats 7th. He has a .317 OBP in July. Odor has batted 6th the last 2 games, behind Pence (yesterday) and Gallo (2 games ago). In both cases, Forsythe (.192 in July) hit behind Odor.

Runs and RBIs are measures of production that are meaningful in the score and outcome of the game, but can be arbitrary in where you hit in the lineup, relative to the randomness of whether people are on base... and if the guy behind you brings you in. You are essentially having to rely on others.

We see Odor, batting 6th in the lineup, outproducing Santana in the #2 spot.

This isn't to say I prefer one player over the other, but is to note their approaches ARE different and just as BA and OBP may not tell the whole story, neither does HRs, OPS.

I like Odor and what he brings to the game.
I equally like Santana and what he brings to the game.

I used July because it was a month easily isolated, that both played a similar number of games. It also kept from having to research how many games each player had in the Top or Bottom of the lineup.
Grapesoda2525
My point has always been to try and get 6 or 7 Santana's then you will wear other teams out and burn thru bullpens / pitching staffs like crazy. In addition, it looks good when most of your team is hitting over .300

Not putting the ball in play is so annoying.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

My point has always been to try and get 6 or 7 Santana's then you will wear other teams out and burn thru bullpens / pitching staffs like crazy. In addition, it looks good when most of your team is hitting over .300

Not putting the ball in play is so annoying.

You might be the only male sports fan that looks at batting average to determine if a team is doing well. Me? I look at Ws and Ls... which is determined by Run differential after each game. The WC and other playoff spots are determined by record, and nobody looks back and says, yeah I know Boston won the WS, but where did they rank in batting Avg, and how many players were hitting .300.

The Rangers are 1-9 in their last 10, and it is the culmination of poor pitching and poor scoring.
Mr Gigem
AG
Blake Snell for the Rays just went down. How quickly are they going to call the Rangers to discuss a package for Minor and Pence???
DallasAg 94
AccidentProne said:

Blake Snell for the Rays just went down. How quickly are they going to call the Rangers to discuss a package for Minor and Pence???
I feared something had happened to you.

Busy getting the new office in the new stadium furnished?!
wbt5845
AG
Good article about possible Minor trades.

https://theathletic.com/1096097/2019/07/25/trading-mike-minor-a-series-of-hypothetical-deals-texas-could-make-over-the-next-week/

The idea I like the best.

Quote:

Texas trades Mike Minor, Nomar Mazara, righthander Jonathan Hernandez (AA) and infielder Andy Ibanez (AAA) to the Diamondbacks for outfielder Kristian Robinson (Low-A), righthander Jon Duplantier (AAA), righthander Matt Tabor (Low-A) and catcher Daulton Varsho (AA).
DallasAg 94
AccidentProne said:

Nah... they are going to trade for a guy hitting over .300. Grape says that is more fun than winning. Tampa only has 1 player hitting over .300, and although he only has 20GP, Boston is clearly the favorite to get that WC spot.

Astros have 2 players batting over .300
Brantley: 97 GP, .326
Alvarez: 32 GP, .320

Twins have 2 players batting over .300
Arraez: 38 GP, .379
Polanco: 86 GP, .308

Yankees have 3 players batting over .300
LeMahieu: 93 GP, .336
Maybin: 42 GP, .314
Judge: 46, .311

Rays have 1 player batting over .300
Brosseau: 20 GP, .303

Texas has 1 player batting over .300
Santana: 74 GP, .316

BoSox have 4 players batting over .300
Hernandez: 27 GP, .339
Holt: 43, .336
Devers: 100 GP, .322
Bogaerts: 99 GP, .309

Oakland doesn't have a player hitting over .284.
KT 90
AG
wbt5845 said:

Good article about possible Minor trades.

https://theathletic.com/1096097/2019/07/25/trading-mike-minor-a-series-of-hypothetical-deals-texas-could-make-over-the-next-week/

The idea I like the best.

Quote:

Texas trades Mike Minor, Nomar Mazara, righthander Jonathan Hernandez (AA) and infielder Andy Ibanez (AAA) to the Diamondbacks for outfielder Kristian Robinson (Low-A), righthander Jon Duplantier (AAA), righthander Matt Tabor (Low-A) and catcher Daulton Varsho (AA).

I would have to research those names, as I am not really familiar with the Dbacks proposed players coming to Texas, but that doesn't seem like enough of a return for Texas. Minor is a #1/2 type, and signed for a cheap rate for 2020. Hernandez is a decent prospect at AA. Ibanez is just a guy I believe, and Maraza is at least an average MLB outfielder (probably needs to transition to 1B or become a DH). .

Is Duplantier a sure fire MLB #1 or #2 type potential starter?

Mr Gigem
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

AccidentProne said:

I feared something had happened to you.

Busy getting the new office in the new stadium furnished?!
Got married, went on a two week honeymoon, and have spent the last two weeks playing catch up
Schall 02
AG
Congrats!!!
DallasAg 94
Congrats!
GrapevineAg
AG
Congrats!
DallasAg 94
From MLB Prospects

Rangers:
Minor
Mazara
Jonathan Hernandez (AA-23-RH SP): #8 Prospect - 15 GS, 5.78 ERA, 81.0 IP, 83 K. Was considered a mid-rotation SP, but has struggled this year. Rule V guy.
Andy Ibanez (AAA-26-IF RHB): 89 G, .286, 12 HR, 6 SB. Older signing out of Cuba

Diamondbacks:
Kritian Robinson (A-18-OF-RHB): #6 Prospect - 36G, .341, 9 HR, 8 SB @ ShA (NWL, like Spokane)
Jon Duplantier (AAA-25-RH SP): #2 Prospect - Projects as a mid-tier SP, with health (shoulder) concerns. 7GS, 4.43 ERA @AAA
Matt Tabor (A-21-RHP): #12 Prospect. 14 GS, 2.67, 67.1 IP, 80 K
Daulton Varsho (AA-23-C): #5 Prospect. 79G, .275, 10 HR, 16 SB @ C.

Tabor is basically Jonathan Hernandez, 2 years younger. Or maybe Hernandez is Duplantier... 2 years younger.

Varsho would basically be Ibanez.

None of the DBacks appear to be Rule V guys.

It'd essentially be Minor for Robinson.
Baby Billy
AG
https://instagr.am/p/B0W5n0wg2DX
wbt5845
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

From MLB Prospects

Rangers:
Minor
Mazara
Jonathan Hernandez (AA-23-RH SP): #8 Prospect - 15 GS, 5.78 ERA, 81.0 IP, 83 K. Was considered a mid-rotation SP, but has struggled this year. Rule V guy.

Diamondbacks:
Kritian Robinson (A-18-OF-RHB): #6 Prospect - 36G, .341, 9 HR, 8 SB @ ShA (NWL, like Spokane)
Jon Duplantier (AAA-25-RH SP): #2 Prospect - Projects as a mid-tier SP, with health (shoulder) concerns. 7GS, 4.43 ERA @AAA

Tabor is basically Jonathan Hernandez, 2 years younger. Or maybe Hernandez is Duplantier... 2 years younger.

Varsho is basically Ibanez EXCEPT he's a catcher. And a damned good one. League All Star in 2017 and 2018. 0.275 BA, 10 HR, 0.821 OPS this year at AA.

I want a good young catcher out of this - a catcher of the future. He's MLB ready in 2020.

I have a man crush already - here's his details.

https://www.azsnakepit.com/2019/2/1/18206495/diamondbacks-top-prospect-3-catcher-daulton-varsho

And I agree that is probably a bit too much giving up on the Rangers side.
DallasAg 94
wbt5845 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

From MLB Prospects

Rangers:
Minor
Mazara

Diamondbacks:

Varsho is basically Ibanez EXCEPT he's a catcher. And a damned good one. League All Star in 2017 and 2018. 0.275 BA, 10 HR, 0.821 OPS this year at AA.

I want a good young catcher out of this - a catcher of the future. He's MLB ready in 2020.

I have a man crush already - here's his details.

https://www.azsnakepit.com/2019/2/1/18206495/diamondbacks-top-prospect-3-catcher-daulton-varsho

And I agree that is probably a bit too much giving up on the Rangers side.
I have seen neither Varsho nor Ibanez play, so I'm projecting. He has played almost exclusively at Catcher. I haven't seen anything about his Catching ability. Everythings speaks to his bat and his speed.

Looking at the MLB scouting report for Varsho as a prospect, it had:
Quote:

Varsho is athletic enough for the outfield if he can't stick behind the plate, and some believe he could even handle second base. Regardless of his future defensive home, Varsho has a bright future in the big leagues with his bat, athleticism and baseball IQ.

So, I just assumed he likely wasn't going to end up as a Catcher.

The Rangers have Samuel Huff (21-A+) who is hitting .293, 25 HR. They also have Jose Trevino (26-AAA) who is hitting .220. He was Minor League Rawlings Gold Glove Award at Catcher two years in a row (2016 & 2017). That is an award for ALL of minor leagues. ONE (1) Catcher gets the award. And he did it in 2 consecutive years.

With IKF, Federowic and Mathis under team control in 2020, I would be curious where he would fit in the organization.
PatAg
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Old Tom Morris said:

I'm definitely rooting for the Yankees or dodgers to kick their ass in the playoffs. That fan base is insufferable.
No
DallasAg 94
Nice AB by Santana.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Nice AB by Santana.
He's a hitting machine. My favorite player on the team.

I'm really hoping rangers don't trade him because they have 2 more years of cheap control.

I'm skeptical that they will get enough value to actually move him.
DallasAg 94
A player needs 502 PAs to qualify for the Batting Title. I believe he had 271 coming into tonight.

He needs 231 over the final 60 Games. That's about 3.85. He'll get 4 tonight, so he is likely going to make it.

He would need 316, to qualify with 102 GP... so about 45 PAs behind.

Currently:
1. LeMahieu: .336
2. Brantley: .326
3. Devers: .322
4. Santana: .320

As I type this... he takes a 2R SHOT, on his 4 PA. Maybe he'll get a 5th PA, tonight.
AggieDPT
AG
Grand Slam Santana
AgsWin2011
AG
Danny Grandslamma! I like it!
Grapesoda2525
Heismenberg said:

Danny Grandslamma! I like it!
By the way he's played

I'd just call him the "grand Santana"
First Page Last Page
Page 106 of 136

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.