*****Offical Texas Rangers 2019 Season Thread*****

468,630 Views | 4725 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
Quincey P. Morris
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If they're going to trade him they better do a lot better than they have with the last few trades.
KT 90
AG
Ranger #007 said:

If they're going to trade him they better do a lot better than they have with the last few trades.
Minor is signed for 2020 as well, and at an affordable rate too. If they do move him, it should be for a significant return. Not a rental, not a salary dump either, so no excuses to not get a good return for him.

Or.... we could just extend him and have Minor and Lynn as the starting point for the 2020 rotation.

KT 90
AG

KT 90
AG

Baby Billy
AG
A loss tonight probably seals our sellers fate
Mr. White
Huell Babineaux said:

Fine
KT 90
AG
Huell Babineaux said:

Not looking good. Chavez getting pounded so far tonight.

KT 90
AG
And whoever it was that commented a few games ago about the older lady that always works the section behind home plate that you see on tv... check it out, there is an older guy working back there tonight. Guess she got a night off.

Danny Vermin
A *********touchdown with the extra point.
Grapesoda2525
The snakes have come in and pushed us firmly into "sell" territory.
DeangeloVickers
AG
I just down...turned it on.....annnnnnnd off
Schall 02
AG
Minor's comment sounds like someone who wants to stay and extend his deal.
Baby Billy
AG
It's been a fun little unexpected run, but it's over
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Huell Babineaux said:

I've said from the start of the season I didn't want to be in some in between spot where they were tempted to overspend. I'd be fine if we went ahead and fell out.
Old Tom Morris
Slippage here that convinces them to sell (at the right prices) would make this about as good of a season as we could hope for. Encouraging performance, hope for the future, but not so much to sacrifice the future for 2019.

And yeah, do not just give away Minor and Lynn. If the right deal doesn't come along, fine. They have future value
O'Doyle Rules
AG
50% of teams lose on any given day
Quincey P. Morris
AG
O'Doyle Rules said:

50% of teams lose on any given day

I thought Coach Slocum's handle was Ben There.
gomerschlep
AG
So JD leaks the trade rumors, blows up the locker room, and the team implodes so he can sell.

Say what you want about the guy, he seems to know what he thinks he's doing.
Hamburger Dan
I'm hoping your being sarcastic about JD. If they can't make the playoffs, I hope they stink it up enough, so that JD gets run out of town.
rsf0626
welp, here comes the inevitable implosion. I imagine JD is going to go on a selling spree soon.

I'm also really hoping we dont ship off Mike Minor. He's been so damn good and at such a cheap price. God knows we need as many quality pitchers as we can get.
Grapesoda2525
rsf0626 said:

welp, here comes the inevitable implosion. I imagine JD is going to go on a selling spree soon.

I'm also really hoping we dont ship off Mike Minor. He's been so damn good and at such a cheap price. God knows we need as many quality pitchers as we can get.
Elvis, gallo, and Santana should be untouchable tho.
Grapesoda2525
Speaking of Santana..... he's probably playing this song in the clubhouse tonight after his 2 HR game.

wbt5845
AG
As I have been saying all year long (while y'all played with WC fantasies)

Cappo
AG
Rossko
AG
KT 90 said:

*if we trade Minor, it needs to be for young pitching primarily. The article above makes mention of several CF's?? We have Taveras, Martinez, and Thompson at various levels of development. Not sure why we'd make a young CF a centerpiece of a trade, unless it's an upgrade on one of our young CF's and we package one of our CF's in the trade.

We need: pitching, pitching, and more pitching. Then maybe a 3B or a 1B.

Unfortunately that's not how it works. You are only going to be dealing with a limited number of teams. Not everyone is interested in Minor and not all of the interested teams are willing to pay the price. Out of the interested and willing clubs, you can choose from their best prospects whether they have the position you cover or not. With rumors of Milwaukee & Philly being interested the most currently, I don't love their farm systems at all. Hiura is likely untouchable and Bohm is the best Philly has to offer but would likely cause a cluster at 3B with him and Jung on a similar timeline (Bohm 2020, Jung 2021). The teams with a lot of young controllable arms aren't the most likely to deal for a more costly controllable arm. I hope JD holds off at least another week to see if more suitors jump in because I would rather he waited last minute and held if there isn't a worthy offer than sell to the first team that shows interest two weeks before the deadline.
DallasAg 94
How will the trade deadline play out? Here are my thoughts.

To me, it is 50/50 on whether Lynn and/or Minor get traded. This is my list of players in order of value they bring.

1. Lynn: 20 GS, 3.87 ERA, 1.23 WHIP, 128.0 IP, 140K
Having a great season. 17th in AL ERA and much of that is from 2 games early in the season. 2 years of team control... I think if he can bounce back in the next GS, he could be a very attractive trade piece. Controllable and cheap: At age 32 he goes $11.3M and $9.3M for next 2 years.

2. Santana: .316, 13 HR, .351 OBP, 11 SB
I think he has the most value and could bring in the best haul. You have a guy who can play Util, and flat out delivers. In a NL park, with no DH, Santana is the guy that allows flexibility for the roster. The double-switch, injuries... he fills many holes that you can't anticipate. And performs in pressure situations.

This year isn't just out of nowhere, that is to say his performance reflects his talent. He was 7th in ROY voting. He went through his yips, and struggles. Can he maintain the right mental aspect? He is in his prime (28) and under team control. Arb for the next 2 years.

3. Minor: 20 GS, 2.73 ERA, 1.16 WHIP, 122.0 IP, 121 SO.
He could be the best SP available. Even with his recent struggles, he is still #2 in AL ERA. 1 more year of team control. He shows he has the ability to anchor a rotation. His strikeout rate surprised me. I just didn't see him as a guy who Ks one per IP.

4. Pence: .287, 15 HR.
Veteran, clubhouse guy who makes the team better even if he isn't on the field. Rental guy who can come off the bence.

5. Chris Martin: 36 G, 2.97 ERA, 0.96 WHIP, 36.1 IP, 40 SO. Team control through 2023.

6. Shawn Kelley: 32 G, 3.00 ERA, 1.15 ERA, 34.0 IP, 28 SO. Team option for 2020

7. Choo: .285, 15 HR, 8 SB, .384 OBP
Great leadoff guy, suspect D, who gets on base at an amazing rate. He has 1 more year ($21M) of contract. If the Rangers eat some salary, they could get some nice return. Probably an AL guy who plays DH, and could come off the bench late in the game in a NL park. I'm optimistic we get him moved.

Rossko
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

To me, it is 50/50 on whether Lynn and/or Minor get traded. This is my list of players in order of value they bring.

Having a great season. 17th in AL ERA and much of that is from 2 games early in the season. 2 years of team control... I think if he can bounce back in the next GS, he could be a very attractive trade piece. Controllable and cheap: At age 32 he goes $11.3M and $9.3M for next 2 years.

I think he has the most value and could bring in the best haul. You have a guy who can play Util, and flat out delivers. In a NL park, with no DH, Santana is the guy that allows flexibility for the roster. The double-switch, injuries... he fills many holes that you can't anticipate. And performs in pressure situations.

This year isn't just out of nowhere, that is to say his performance reflects his talent. He was 7th in ROY voting. He went through his yips, and struggles. Can he maintain the right mental aspect? He is in his prime (28) and under team control. Arb for the next 2 years.

He could be the best SP available. Even with his recent struggles, he is still #2 in AL ERA. 1 more year of team control. He shows he has the ability to anchor a rotation. His strikeout rate surprised me. I just didn't see him as a guy who Ks one per IP.

Veteran, clubhouse guy who makes the team better even if he isn't on the field. Rental guy who can come off the bence.

5. Chris Martin: 36 G, 2.97 ERA, 0.96 WHIP, 36.1 IP, 40 SO. Team control through 2023.

Great leadoff guy, suspect D, who gets on base at an amazing rate. He has 1 more year ($21M) of contract. If the Rangers eat some salary, they could get some nice return. Probably an AL guy who plays DH, and could come off the bench late in the game in a NL park. I'm optimistic we get him moved.

I don't see Santana getting moved and would have him much lower on the list. You may not think this is a one year out of nowhere but I would bet most teams aren't willing to pay for this production with the risk it's a career year. He seems like a classic worth more to his current team than to another type of guy that will be sticking around. Also Minor is ahead of Lynn around the league because he's a LHP.

I don't see Mazara on the list and while he's not as valuable as this time last year, I still think he can generate a decent return. If we don't move him now he's going to be clogging the lineup for years while they wait for him to magically make a leap. He will probably end up in some hairy arbitration cases the next couple of years as well.

Whatever happens, someone needs to be moved to clear space for Calhoun whether it's a trade or just DFA'ing guys like Cabrera. Let the young kids play every day if they're raising the white flag on 2019.
DallasAg 94
Rossko said:

I don't see Santana getting moved and would have him much lower on the list. You may not think this is a one year out of nowhere but I would bet most teams aren't willing to pay for this production with the risk it's a career year. He seems like a classic worth more to his current team than to another type of guy that will be sticking around. Also Minor is ahead of Lynn around the league because he's a LHP.
I wouldn't disagree with Santana. However, his versatility and low payroll cost make him suitable for teams. The bulk of teams in the AL are either huge payroll teams with lots of holes, which can't really add salary... or they are low payroll teams that don't get a costly addition.

Quote:

I don't see Mazara on the list and while he's not as valuable as this time last year, I still think he can generate a decent return. If we don't move him now he's going to be clogging the lineup for years while they wait for him to magically make a leap. He will probably end up in some hairy arbitration cases the next couple of years as well.

Whatever happens, someone needs to be moved to clear space for Calhoun whether it's a trade or just DFA'ing guys like Cabrera. Let the young kids play every day if they're raising the white flag on 2019.

I don't see Mazara having in-season value. What does he give a team in the Hunt? He would be limited to AL teams (DH) looking for a slow LH bat. .258, 12 HR

Off-season, maybe.

I think we are pretty close to letting the kids play.
MSFC Aggie
AG
KT 90
AG
Rossko said:

KT 90 said:

*if we trade Minor, it needs to be for young pitching primarily. The article above makes mention of several CF's?? We have Taveras, Martinez, and Thompson at various levels of development. Not sure why we'd make a young CF a centerpiece of a trade, unless it's an upgrade on one of our young CF's and we package one of our CF's in the trade.

We need: pitching, pitching, and more pitching. Then maybe a 3B or a 1B.

Unfortunately that's not how it works. You are only going to be dealing with a limited number of teams. Not everyone is interested in Minor and not all of the interested teams are willing to pay the price. Out of the interested and willing clubs, you can choose from their best prospects whether they have the position you cover or not. With rumors of Milwaukee & Philly being interested the most currently, I don't love their farm systems at all. Hiura is likely untouchable and Bohm is the best Philly has to offer but would likely cause a cluster at 3B with him and Jung on a similar timeline (Bohm 2020, Jung 2021). The teams with a lot of young controllable arms aren't the most likely to deal for a more costly controllable arm. I hope JD holds off at least another week to see if more suitors jump in because I would rather he waited last minute and held if there isn't a worthy offer than sell to the first team that shows interest two weeks before the deadline.

Braves and Astros (gulp) also mentioned, I sure there are other teams that will be interested though. There are only so many pitchers with an affordable contract that also have another year of team control. Any team looking to add a starter has to have some level of interest in Minor and/or Lynn.

I'm still torn on trading either of these two. They are both signed to affordable contracts and would be key pieces to the rotation next year.... Minor is the tougher call. He has a injury history. Can he hold up? Hopefully he's not wearing down, as his last two starts haven't been good. Then we had the weird "rest" deal over the allstar break. His trade value is probably at max levels right now. Keep rolling him out there and his value may go down. But if he can pitch like the first half of the season he can be the a key piece of a rotation, whether for the Rangers or elsewhere.

KT 90
AG
Quote:

I don't see Mazara having in-season value. What does he give a team in the Hunt? He would be limited to AL teams (DH) looking for a slow LH bat. .258, 12 HR
Mazara/Choo are both pretty much only movable to AL teams. We'll be fortunate to move one of them, but we have to find a way to move one of them either now or during the off-season. JD's biggest mistake with this team was going into the season with so many LH bats, especially knowing we had a young Calhoun looking for ab's too. Even our switch-hitters (Santana and Cabrera) hit better left handed.

DallasAg 94
KT 90 said:

Quote:

Mazara/Choo are both pretty much only movable to AL teams. We'll be fortunate to move one of them, but we have to find a way to move one of them either now or during the off-season. JD's biggest mistake with this team was going into the season with so many LH bats, especially knowing we had a young Calhoun looking for ab's too. Even our switch-hitters (Santana and Cabrera) hit better left handed.
TBiA was designed for LH hitters and LH pitchers.

I agree we have too many LH hitters. I think Choo has more value because he is established, hits for better average and a a huge OBP. I think Choo is a better fielder and a smarter base runner.
Grapesoda2525
Rossko said:

DallasAg 94 said:

I think it begs the question......why would the rangers trade a guy like Santana?

When you look at him individually, keeping him seems like a no brainer. He can play 7 different positions, he's dirt cheap, and he plays well no matter where you put him. If he gets everyday playing time the rest of the season, he should get enough PA to qualify among the league leaders. If he qualified today, he'd be 5th in the AL in AVG, 5th in SLG and top 20 in wRC+.

I just shudder at the thought of our front office making this move. They've been on a cold streak lately with their decision making. They should have demoted odor before he accumulated 5 years of service time. They should have demoted Guzman or Mazara instead of Willie Calhoun. We have been sending the message through our front office that "your play on the field doesn't matter, we will play our favorites".

That's scary when your dealing with a front office at the highest level of the game. The main thing is to get good value for players. I think the rangers should keep Lynn, Elvis, and Santana. Bring those guys to the new ballpark. Everyone else could and should possibly be moved.
Rossko
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Rossko said:

DallasAg 94 said:

I think it begs the question......why would the rangers trade a guy like Santana?

When you look at him individually, keeping him seems like a no brainer. He can play 7 different positions, he's dirt cheap, and he plays well no matter where you put him. If he gets everyday playing time the rest of the season, he should get enough PA to qualify among the league leaders. If he qualified today, he'd be 5th in the AL in AVG, 5th in SLG and top 20 in wRC+.

I just shudder at the thought of our front office making this move. They've been on a cold streak lately with their decision making. They should have demoted odor before he accumulated 5 years of service time. They should have demoted Guzman or Mazara instead of Willie Calhoun. We have been sending the message through our front office that "your play on the field doesn't matter, we will play our favorites".

That's scary when your dealing with a front office at the highest level of the game. The main thing is to get good value for players. I think the rangers should keep Lynn, Elvis, and Santana. Bring those guys to the new ballpark. Everyone else could and should possibly be moved.
I agree and don't see a reason to deal Santana. Any AL team looking for a LH bat would be interested in Mazara with the amount of team control left. Hopefully there is a team that can "fix" him and willing to pay for it.
DallasAg 94
And there you make the case to trade Santana.

It has been posted on here that Solak (recent Tampa trade) was obtained to play 2B and can replace Odor.

Yrade Santana when his value can't get higher, hope Odor continues to have the 2nd half like 2018, trade him, and begin the Solak path. I think we'd have him for 6 yrs, where as we only have what... 2 yrs for Santana?

Maybe we transition Willie back to the IF?!
First Page Last Page
Page 102 of 136

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.