*****Offical Texas Rangers 2019 Season Thread*****

468,490 Views | 4725 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
DallasAg 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Santana and Mazara have the same schedule. Both are Arb and FA 2022.

Why would anyone want a slow, defensive liability in the OF, that is a LHB, when they could get a fast, versatile player that can play IF or OF, steal bases as a PR, and is a switch hitter?
Rossko
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Santana and Mazara have the same schedule. Both are Arb and FA 2022.

Why would anyone want a slow, defensive liability in the OF, that is a LHB, when they could get a fast, versatile player that can play IF or OF, steal bases as a PR, and is a switch hitter?
Mazara is 4.5 years younger than Santana and a team would pay for his prime years rather than a career year for a player less than 1.5 years away from 30. Not really close in my opinion. I'm thinking it would be an AL team who would just slide him in at DH or maybe 1B and pay for his youth and his bat for the opportunity to fix him. Santana has had a great 3 months but that's all it is. Including these great stats he's a career .712OPS guy. No team is going to pay anywhere close to the price you have in your head for Santana.
hawk1689
AG
You guys focus too much on dWAR, which is fake news anyway. Mazara is a serviceable outfielder that is just now hitting the age where most prospects make it to the show. He's already an above average hitter. He's got three years of 20+ home runs and he's never hit below .250. There are guys in the hall of fame that did that for 15-20 years.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

And there you make the case to trade Santana.

It has been posted on here that Solak (recent Tampa trade) was obtained to play 2B and can replace Odor.

Yrade Santana when his value can't get higher, hope Odor continues to have the 2nd half like 2018, trade him, and begin the Solak path. I think we'd have him for 6 yrs, where as we only have what... 2 yrs for Santana?

Maybe we transition Willie back to the IF?!
Couldn't disagree more.

It's evident that Santana has either made changes to his swing or approach ( similar to pence), had some physical problem fixed, or has cleared his mind to where the guy is a totally different player.

We still don't know how good this guy can be. Nobody does. The rangers need to give him the rest of this season to figure it out. It's not like they have a lot of risk involved anyway, they signed him to a minor league contract at the beginning of the season. If Santana was an expiring contract I'd agree, but they have 2 more years of very cheap control left. They could trade him next summer, or the summer after that.

We would all look like idiots if we traded him to a team, he continued to put up big numbers in big games, and he tore it up in the playoffs. I'd like to retain some talent so that the team could possibly be good again before 2025.

I'm also not looking forward to the possibility of seeing odor and Guzman everyday guaranteed going forward. In my mind, they haven't earned the playing time.
Baby Billy
AG
Santana should be on the block. The guy is pretty old and having the best year of his life. Sell him while the price is high.
Grapesoda2525
Huell Babineaux said:

Santana should be on the block. The guy is pretty old and having the best year of his life. Sell him while the price is high.
Look at how old Choo is and how good of a year he's having. Look at how old pence is.

Santana is 28. The rangers could keep him and he could be a good player for them for the next 5-6 years.
TXAggie2011
AG
hawk1689 said:

You guys focus too much on dWAR, which is fake news anyway. Mazara is a serviceable outfielder that is just now hitting the age where most prospects make it to the show. He's already an above average hitter. He's got three years of 20+ home runs and he's never hit below .250. There are guys in the hall of fame that did that for 15-20 years.

I don't know who over the years made the Hall of Fame hitting .255, 20 home runs, striking out a lot and playing no defense...

But at least in the current day, a guy who can 20 home runs and nothing else is about a dime a dozen.

He doesn't fill any particular need; I just don't think Mazara by himself would be significant trade draw.
Baby Billy
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Huell Babineaux said:

Look at how old Choo is and how good of a year he's having. Look at how old pence is.

Santana is 28. The rangers could keep him and he could be a good player for them for the next 5-6 years.

The main point was the fact that he's 28 and having the best year of his life by far. To think it's sustainable and he's gonna be a .300+, 20HR guy probably isn't realistic, or even a .280, 15 HR guy
TXAggie2011
AG
Santana has a similar-ish season his first year with Minnesota.

He flamed out and became a throw away.

So, maybe there is some talent in there but maybe he's also his own example of why a good half a season doesn't always mean much.
Rossko
AG
Huell Babineaux said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Huell Babineaux said:

The main point was the fact that he's 28 and having the best year of his life by far. To think it's sustainable and he's gonna be a .300+, 20HR guy probably isn't realistic, or even a .280, 15 HR guy
Right so why is a team going to give up anything of value for someone who hasn't shown he can sustain success? Whatever is offered likely won't be worth it, I'd rather gamble on him playing better in Texas than a low A risk that's probably not a top 30 prospect.
Carlo4
AG
Move Choo and Odor. Keep the starting pitchers for the love of effing God.
94chem
I think you move guys with major limitations that provide a needed boost for a contender.

Pence - RH bat, limited by age and defensive liability
DD - speed, but no pop and can't throw
Choo - age, contract, defensive liability
Cabrera - great glove, can't hit
Odor - I know, dreaming...
Calhoun - LH bat, defensive liability
Either catcher - maybe somebody needs a backup
Bullpen arms - anybody with a low K/IP ratio

One other question is when the club is going to move Andrus to 3rd. That will impact things as well..

Also, you can't tell me that a starting OF of Gallo, Santana, and Maz isn't serviceable. I hate OF that can't throw.
DallasAg 94
PDEMDHC said:

Move Choo and Odor. Keep the starting pitchers for the love of effing God.
We won't need Minor nor Lynn next. After JD trades them for SP he goes to the 6-Man rotation, and revolutionizes MLB.

We'll have:
Jurado (23-MLB): 4.63 ERA, 1.43 WHIP
Sampson (27-MLB): 4.92 ERA, 1.45 WHIP

Wes Benjamin (25-AAA): 17GS, 6.56 ERA, 1.685 WHIP)
Payano (24-AAA): 15GS, 4.40, 1.284
Palumbo (24-AAA): 3.22, 1.224
Herrera (24-AA/AAA)
Richelson (25-AA/AAA)

We'll have Openers... we could go full Tampa.

Maybe we'll get 3 more pitchers and have two platoons of 5 SPs. Each SP gets 3 GS, and then gets sent down for a replacement and we rotate the guys every 10-11 days, or so.
PatAg
AG
IF you can get good value, you definitely trade anyone other than Gallo imo. But we have to be winning the trade, and getting talent at positions we lack options at.
Carlo4
AG
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27220701/red-eye-astros-rail-mlb-schedule

Old Tom Morris
all MLB players are spoiled by getaway days. boohoo, I have to go to work again in 14 hours.
wbt5845
AG
We are hopefully watching Minor's last start as a Ranger tonight.
wbt5845
AG
PDEMDHC said:

Doesn't the home team make that call? I know the Rangers schedule getaway day games at ends of series EXCEPT against those teams that refuse to reciprocate, of which the Angels are one.
hawk1689
AG
.250/20 is the floor for Mazara. I agree that 20 home runs is not going to make an all-star team anymore, but it still gets a batter into the first half of the lineup. Mazara is only 24 and he's been doing that for nearly 4 seasons now. Most of us get excited when a prospect puts up those HR numbers at the AA level.
KT 90
AG

Rangers beat
Utility player Danny Santana has increased his workouts at third base. He has played just six games there in his career, and the last one was in 2017. But Woodward is clearly intrigued by the idea. Asdrubal Cabrera is hitting .125 in his last 24 games.
"Anywhere we can get [Santana] in the lineup," Woodward said. "Right now, he's as good of player as there is in the big leagues and arguably one of our top two to three players. I am going to find a way to get him in there. This is a tough business. You have to produce in this business and everybody knows it. When a guy is producing, you have to ride that out and see what we have."

https://www.mlb.com/rangers/news/mike-minor-hunter-pence-address-trade-rumors

MSFC Aggie
AG
wbt5845 said:

Have a feeling he's going to get taken to the woodshed tonight
DallasAg 94
wbt5845 said:

But watch the Rangers sweep the Astros, and rejoin the WC conversation, intriguing all of us about "what if..."
DallasAg 94
MSFC Aggie said:

wbt5845 said:

Have a feeling he's going to get taken to the woodshed tonight
The fact the Astros are already priming excuses, tells me Minor could pitch a perfect game tonight.
DallasAg 94
Old Tom Morris said:

all MLB players are spoiled by getaway days. boohoo, I have to go to work again in 14 hours.
I agree.

Last night I flew back from San Jose. Worked at home until midnight finishing deliverables expected by today. Ivmade meetings this morning to discuss the details of the deliverables. Nobody cared I was on the road this week... or that I worked late, last night.

There will be fans showing up to the game tonight to watch the Astros play and their paid price of admission wasn't reduced because the Astros are soft and whiny. Sack-Up and do the job you paid millions to do.

I fly coach and am taller than most of their roster. Sit in a seat where your knees are pinned up against the seat in front of you.

Boo Hoo...you fly first class in luxury. Get to work.
Grapesoda2525
PDEMDHC said:

The Angels do it to teams all the time.

Get used to it.
KT 90
AG

KT 90
AG
That makes three games in a row for Guzman.

Baby Billy
AG
Baby Billy
AG
These guys are making MULTI-Millions. Go home to your 10,000 Sq. foot house, sleep till 1 or 2pm, then get up, head to the ballpark, and STFU
KT 90
AG
Announcers are trying to cover him, but that was terrible defense by Choo in LF.

Kyle98
AG
Good lord, Astros just teeing off.
Grapesoda2525
The team looks like they don't care.

They've played like **** since JD leaked the trade rumors.
KT 90
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Sending Willie down while keeping Odor, Guzman, and Cabrera can't exactly help morale.

Grapesoda2525
KT 90 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Sending Willie down while keeping Odor, Guzman, and Cabrera can't exactly help morale.
No *****.....like I've been saying all year long.

The front office has blatantly been sending the message all year long that "playing well on the field doesn't matter as long as you're not one of our hand picked favorites"
TXAggie2011
AG
hawk1689 said:

.250/20 is the floor for Mazara. I agree that 20 home runs is not going to make an all-star team anymore, but it still gets a batter into the first half of the lineup. Mazara is only 24 and he's been doing that for nearly 4 seasons now. Most of us get excited when a prospect puts up those HR numbers at the AA level.

That might be his floor but up to this point, he's not done much more than that.

There's still a prospect-ish feel to Nomar Mazara. And a great mystery of why he doesn't seem to be better a player today than he was 3 years ago.

I'm just skeptical teams would offer much in the way of prospects for a guy who still needs significant development but is in his arbitration years already.
First Page Last Page
Page 103 of 136

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.