*****Offical Texas Rangers 2019 Season Thread*****

468,243 Views | 4725 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
DallasAg 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

This is why I feel like analytics is overused in baseball. Some of the metrics are pretty good indicators of performance. However, some are complete BS. Had the "rival executive" cited Santana's career 2nd half performance vs. His current performance, I might would take heed. But, just to say he's having a career season now and will regress is speculative at best based on the given information.

Another thing is expected average, blah, blah, blah. Maybe he is in a better system for him. Maybe the hitting coach has connected with him better than others in his career. Maybe he has a better sense of camaraderie with his teammates. it could be anything. I think Texas management saw something in him at Spring Training and knew they could work with him.

He regressed a little in May but has come on strong in June. I'll eat my words if he comes crashing down this season but until then I hope he keeps doing what he is doing.

I'm not unique in expecting his early success to return to more reasonable numbers to what he has done historically... what nobody knows, is how far they would come down, and how would he respond.

I'll admit, I expected his numbers to drop... and then, at best...flatten out or continue a slow diminishing path.

What I've seen is he has worked hard, and seems to be just ahead of what he needs to correct and get back on track. Could be a number of intangibles, like you've mentioned. Woody and Andrus both seem to really like him, and Woody has that manager style where he let's you know he thinks you are better than you see yourself, tells you he expects a higher bar for your performance... and then you just find yourself better.

My boys have had private lessons for their instruments. The teacher always starts off with telling them, "Allow yourself to be better than you think you can be, and quicker than you might expect to get there."

My 1st asked him how much the teacher thought he should practice. The guy said, " How good do you want to be? If you want to be 3hrs/wk good... then practice 3hrs/wk. If you want to be the best you can be, practice until you can't make a mistake."

Kind of a sidebar, but his philosophy is that most people practice until they feel they can get it right. His philosophy is practice until you can't get it wrong.

I think Santana may not be a HoF or an All-Star, but could be a very good every day player.
gigem1223
How in the hell does MLB not invite Joey Gallo to the home run derby???
Grapesoda2525
gigem1223 said:

How in the hell does MLB not invite Joey Gallo to the home run derby???
The event is terrible anyway.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I would imagine it had to do with his oblique injury. I want that guy nowhere near a HR Derby in the coming weeks
gigem1223
DannyDuberstein said:

I would imagine it had to do with his oblique injury. I want that guy nowhere near a HR Derby in the coming weeks

I wouldn't either because of the injury but it's dumb that he didn't even get an invite.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Maybe, but we also don't know what went on behind the scenes. Obviously he would have gotten an invite in a non injury situation. So I'd imagine there may have at least been a check-in on his situation/preference, or they realized how dumb it would be to invite a guy on the IL with an oblique injury. Feels like going out of the way to feel slighted about something.
gigem1223
DannyDuberstein said:

Maybe, but we also don't know what went on behind the scenes. Obviously he would have gotten an invite in a non injury situation. So I'd imagine there may have at least been a check-in on his situation/preference, or they realized how dumb it would be to invite a guy on the IL with an oblique injury. Feels like going out of the way to feel slighted about something.

Except he's off the IL and the HR derby isn't for another couple weeks. He was on the radio earlier saying he didn't get an invite and the mlb made the decision easy for him. Pretty sure he would've mentioned something otherwise.
gigem1223
I'm not saying he should play in it. I'm saying he absolutely deserved an invite regardless of his oblique situation and it should be his call on whether he wants a chance to win more than his annual salary.
94chem
Choo with an early baserunning mistake.
gigem1223
Odor's approach at the plate is so damn frustrating. Swing at everything.
Grapesoda2525
Don't know if you guys listened to Hitzges this morning but his take on Odor was: 'The time has come to reward the guys who's been playing well and demote/bench the one's who aren't. Since Odor can't be sent down, pine-time is what he has to get. It's not fair for this overachieving team to have one guy hitting so poorly, yet gets to start almost daily.'.........My words, but that's what he said.

He did add it wouldn't surprise him to see Odor play during the Detroit series b/c we don't have to make any more moves until Gallo/Pence come back. Besides, if he can't get it going against one of the worst pitching staffs in the majors, then what choice do you have?

In regard to odor, the options are :

1) continue to pretend that he doesn't suck and play him everyday over more talented players on the bench.

2) attempt to demote him. He has to consent. If he says no and you send him down anyway. He can collect the $50 million we owe him and ride off into the sunset on that beautiful pony we gave him.

3) Bench him for more talented players. Use him as a defensive replacement when rosters expand. Use him as a late inning roster replacement if we're blowing people out or getting blown out. Try to prevent him from getting at bats that impact the outcome of the game because he will usually fail based on his track record.

I guess option 3 is the best at this point. The front office is so stubborn that I wouldn't be surprised if there was a directive for woody to play him every day. It is what it is.

gigem1223
I've been in the camp of letting him play it out and he'll eventually get hot. Not anymore. He's made zero adjustments and goes up there flailing at every dang pitch. Your most productive hitter just worked the count to take a walk and he goes up there swinging at nothing but balls and ruins a chance at a big inning.

We have 2 players, who can play 2nd, completely outplaying him. It's time to ride the pine.
Grapesoda2525
gigem1223 said:

I've been in the camp of letting him play it out and he'll eventually get hot. Not anymore. He's made zero adjustments and goes up there flailing at every dang pitch. Your most productive hitter just worked the count to take a walk and he goes up there swinging at nothing but balls and ruins a chance at a big inning.
He's been an automatic out for pitchers all season. The bottom of the order is pretty weak, especially on nights when it's odor, Guzman, and Mathis.
PatAg
AG
gigem1223 said:

I'm not saying he should play in it. I'm saying he absolutely deserved an invite regardless of his oblique situation and it should be his call on whether he wants a chance to win more than his annual salary.
He turned it down last year I think, wouldnt put it above the MLB to be childish about it
gigem1223
Welcome back Joey
Danny Vermin
Nice to have Joey back!!!
Grapesoda2525
gigem1223 said:

We have 2 players, who can play 2nd, completely outplaying him. It's time to ride the pine.
I know dallasag has given me a lot of crap for liking Santana so early on, but the guy is hitting about .350 in the month of June.

He shouldn't be riding the pine for anyone.
PatAg
AG
Think I would have sent him with Mathis coming up
gigem1223
PatAg said:

Think I would have sent him with Mathis coming up

No brainer. This game should be 7-0 by now.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, that was bad situational awareness by Beasley. Gotta risk it. Gallo was aware and just about blew thru it.
gigem1223
Good Lord Nomar is so bad defensively. Really hope they work with him to get him to first base in the offseason.
Grapesoda2525
Odor might as well get hit by pitch because he can't hit.
gigem1223
Chavez
gigem1223
Odor with a bunt???
gigem1223
And promptly thrown out on the base paths....can't make this **** up lol
Grapesoda2525
Odor got a hit.

Playing time has been extended another 2 weeks - Rangers front office
Grapesoda2525
May the Forsythe be with you!
Baby Billy
AG
Gallo just made another .gif
DannyDuberstein
AG
no one on the broadcast noticed he jacked that catchers jaw
Baby Billy
AG
So why are we ****ing around with Shelby Miller in crucial spots?
Baby Billy
AG
So this was his last chance, right? That's what this was?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Coming off an off day. Wtf.
crazeyalex
Rangers 7 games over .500!
wbt5845
AG
Shelby Miller's ERA pops up to 8.59 after that inning.
Aggie_3
Miller is going to be the next pitcher that gets the Axe.

First Page Last Page
Page 76 of 136

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.