*****Offical Texas Rangers 2019 Season Thread*****

468,102 Views | 4725 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
crazeyalex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yeah, Nadel was wondering why he pulled up.
wbt5845
AG
Grapesoda2525
Delino has played well since he came back.

Guzman probably needs to go down when gallo comes back Tuesday. Cabrera, Guzman, and Odor are main weakspots of the lineup right now. Should be interesting to see what move they make.
wbt5845
AG
Guzman needs a trip down. He's too good a hitter to be rolling over the ball to the shortstop like that.
Danny Vermin
Do not mess with the chemistry. Guzman has literally saved numerous outs with his defense. I'm amazed how many of y'all forget how important that is.
Grapesoda2525
Danny Vermin said:

Do not mess with the chemistry. Guzman has literally saved numerous outs with his defense. I'm amazed how many of y'all forget how important that is.
A lot of the outs he saves are from bad throws at second base. Odor isn't an option tho. Can't fix the problem that way. Might as well put the best offense on the field we possibly can.
94chem
Choo bein' Choo.
wbt5845
AG
Danny Vermin said:

Oh I understand the importance of a beast like Guzman at first. But a MLB first baseman had better hit for average and power. Guzman can do that but needs a break. Unlike Odor, there are no contractual issues keeping the Rangers from sending Guzman down.
94chem
8 series ago they were at .500. Split 2 four game series, and won 2 of 3 in 6 three game series. Is that right?
Danny Vermin
Boys, we have not lost a series since the fluke Astros series. Status quo is what we need. It's working and you don't make major moves when it's working.
crazeyalex
CrazeyAlex said:

If the Rangers win tomorrow, I will have nailed this! I mistakenly put 21 days but it was 21 games in 20 days, it missed the A's Double Header.

Nailed it! Go Rangers!
Danny Vermin
94chem said:

8 series ago they were at .500. Split 2 four game series, and won 2 of 3 in 6 three game series. Is that right?

We have won or split the last 8 series.
DannyDuberstein
Grapesoda2525
Danny Vermin said:

Boys, we have not lost a series since the fluke Astros series. Status quo is what we need. It's working and you don't make major moves when it's working.
Major moves are coming whether you like it or not. Gallo and pence are due to return soon.
Danny Vermin
They are both major parts of this team and it's chemistry so they do not count.

Quit F'N reaching.
Grapesoda2525
Danny Vermin said:

They are both major parts of this team and it's chemistry so they do not count.

Quit F'N reaching.
That's crazy talk. Gallo and pence are much better players than Guzman at this point. It's not a big deal to send Guzman down.
gigem1223
Danny Vermin said:

This makes zero sense. Just because they've won a few series doesn't mean you don't try and better your team. This management has some very tuff calls to make once Gallo and Pence are healthy. As it stands right now (minus he catchers) Odor, Guzman and DD are the weak links.
Grapesoda2525
gigem1223 said:

Danny Vermin said:

This makes zero sense. Just because they've won a few series doesn't mean you don't try and better your team. This management has some very tuff calls to make once Gallo and Pence are healthy. As it stands right now (minus he catchers) Odor, Guzman and DD are the weak links.
I'm not so sure Delino belongs in that group. He's been one of the better players since called up.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

Danny Vermin said:

A lot of the outs he saves are from bad throws at second base. Odor isn't an option tho. Can't fix the problem that way. Might as well put the best offense on the field we possibly can.
Your feigning is old and tiresome.

There is nothing to suggest Odor has an issue with his arm... or that Guzman has had "lots" of saving digs from Odor.

Guzman has been amazing on defense. Regardless of the source of the throw. If you think there is a better defensive 2nd baseman on the team, you are delusional.
Muy
AG
Enjoying watching this squad this season.
Aggie_3
DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Danny Vermin said:

Your feigning is old and tiresome.

There is nothing to suggest Odor has an issue with his arm... or that Guzman has had "lots" of saving digs from Odor.

Guzman has been amazing on defense. Regardless of the source of the throw. If you think there is a better defensive 2nd baseman on the team, you are delusional.

Exactly Odors problem is his bat not his defense
94chem
This is a team with 7 outfielders.
Gallo, Choo, and Mazara are the unquestioned every day players. One can DH.

This leaves one spot for an every day player. I choose Santana, and I want him on the field most days. He is darn near looking like a 5 tool player, and I want to see how good he really is.

This places Pence, Deshields, and Calhoun on the outside.

No clue what to do, but it will be different depending on whether we are buyers or sellers.

I'm completely sold on the entertainment value of this team. I think they are good enough to look for a controllable arm like they did with Hamels, but in more of a contract-eating deal than truly big time prospects...
TXAggie2011
AG
The first step is to stop viewing Choo as an outfielder. He needs to be at DH full time. He's one of, if not the worst defensive outfielders in the game today. Makes Mazara look decent.
TXAggie2011
AG
Danny Santana has been an OK-ish outfield defender and he's not young. Even if the offense holds up, he's not going to be the answer to one of the lingering questions: who can be a long-term quality outfield defender?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Calhoun, Gallo, and Maz are my OF for 2020 at this point. Santana is good flexible depth that will play a lot. The rest can scrape for DH time. I think Gallo and Calhoun will both continue to improve with time at LF and CF. Gallo is a thoroughbred with an arm. I think he can be a quality CF
Front Range Ag
AG
Woody said this past week that Joey would be in left when he returned. He said that playing him in CF is not their long-term plan, so they wouldn't have him out there as often as he had been.
94chem
Pence throws almost as poorly as Deshields.

I know Santana isn't young, but why does that matter? I'm thinking more in terms of Alex Rios or Ian Desmond. If he's one of the top 3, he should be playing. And man, I hate OF who can't throw.
jtstanley4621
AG
94chem said:

I know Santana isn't young, but why does that matter? I'm thinking more in terms of Alex Rios or Ian Desmond. If he's one of the top 3, he should be playing. And man, I hate OF who can't throw.
Santana has been an important part of the team this year. IMO he has earned some type of starting spot in this roster.
KT 90
AG
Somehow this team needs to address the glut of LH bats on the roster. And we also have too many outfielders, and unfortunately all of them except for Gallo aren't very good defensively.

One option is moving Gallo to 1B, but sounds like the team plans to leave him in the outfield. Plus moving him to 1B would further diminish our outfield defense.

Somehow one of the LH bats needs to be traded. A few posts above someone posted a projected OF for 2020 as: Calhoun-Gallo-Mazara, and then we'd still have Choo at DH. Then throw in Odor at 2B and Guzman at 1B. Even Santana hits better from the left side.

You have to assume we will commit to Gallo and give him an extension before too long. So that leaves either Mazara or Calhoun as tradable options. Do to their contracts, Choo are Odor are pretty much untradable at the moment, unless we eat most of their contracts.

KT 90
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

94chem said:

Santana has been an important part of the team this year. IMO he has earned some type of starting spot in this roster.

More reps at second base is best option once Gallo and Pence return. He won't be the full time starter, but more PT there should be coming.

Grapesoda2525
KT 90 said:

Somehow this team needs to address the glut of LH bats on the roster. And we also have too many outfielders, and unfortunately all of them except for Gallo aren't very good defensively.

One option is moving Gallo to 1B, but sounds like the team plans to leave him in the outfield. Plus moving him to 1B would further diminish our outfield defense.

Somehow one of the LH bats needs to be traded. A few posts above someone posted a projected OF for 2020 as: Calhoun-Gallo-Mazara, and then we'd still have Choo at DH. Then throw in Odor at 2B and Guzman at 1B. Even Santana hits better from the left side.

You have to assume we will commit to Gallo and give him an extension before too long. So that leaves either Mazara or Calhoun as tradable options. Do to their contracts, Choo are Odor are pretty much untradable at the moment, unless we eat most of their contracts.

Calhoun seems like he could be way too good of a player to trade. The guy gets a hit in almost every game he plays and barely ever strikes out. You don't find players like him too often.
DallasAg 94
Hopefully this new management team can do for Mazara's D, what it has done for his O.

If he is .275, 25+HR on the season, and can be serviceable on his Defense, I'd love to see him in RF. He has the arm.

Gallo is in LF.

If Calhoun continues to hold the numbers he has, he is your future DH. With Choo having one more season of $21M... you can likely trade him. A Lefty batting .289, .388, 12 HRs has value. Even at $21M.

I don't know how Santana is at 3B. He hasn't played there for Texas and only has 6G there in his career. He has 15GS at CF, this year for Texas... the most of any position. With some off-season work... might he be our CF?

Who is our 3B? Do we look at Cabrera coming back?

DeShields has improved during the season. It was commented during the TV broadcast that he the coaches think he tinkers too much with what he is doing, and needs to settle on a few things. .253, .363 OBP, 12 SB... even with his weak arm, can play a role on the team.

Pence is having a great year. His clubhouse presence is immeasurable. He seems willing to accept his role, but his contribution on the field has been equally valuable. .294, .353 OBP, 15 HRs. I can't tell if he has a poor arm, or just a terrible throwing motion. He throws like a 3B, with a short compact throw, which makes it look awkward in the OF, however he still seems to get good distance... but curious what others think.

Next year we could have:
Gallo-Santana-Mazara - DeShields as 4th
Calhoun as DH

But I agree... that's a ton of Lefties.

Ledarious Clark (25-AA-RHB) seems to still be struggling (.159, 3HR, 1 SB). I think he was viewed as the next option in CF. After that, I think Leody Taveras (20-AA) is next man up. He was .294, 2HR, 21 SB at A+.
Grapesoda2525
I wonder if Beltre knew the lineup was going to be this good that he would've stayed another year. Most of the upswing has been due to coaching I think, so of course he had no way of knowing. Losing him sucked in general, but he was also our best right handed bat. Cabrera hits LH most of the time at 3rd. I'm thinking next offseason, we need to bring in a really good right handed third baseman to balance things out a bit.
Aggie_3
I'm literally laughing at the ESPN power rankings that just came out that had us drop from 12th last week to 17th just comical
Grapesoda2525
Aggie_3 said:

I'm literally laughing at the ESPN power rankings that just came out that had us drop from 12th last week to 17th just comical
They think we're getting by on smoke and mirrors.

Would be interesting to see how they assess us if we can keep it together all the way up until the ASB. 13 games to go and 3 are with the god awful tigers. Let's win 2 or even get a sweep.
First Page Last Page
Page 74 of 136

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.