*****Offical Texas Rangers 2019 Season Thread*****

467,785 Views | 4725 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ranger #007 said:

The rookie needs some interview practice.

Better than John Danks who in his similar interview after being drafted basically said he couldn't suck any worse than the pitchers they had starting for them.
wbt5845
AG
Drew Smyly sucks
Rossko
AG
Can Smyly be DFA'd before he gets back to the dugout?
Rossko
AG
Rougie is the only Ranger with a hit so far...
Front Range Ag
AG
I'm hoping he is the short straw once the first guy is ready to come off the IL.

Woodward said he wants to work with him, but Drew can work in Nashville or Frisco if they are committed to giving him time.

It's always a dangerous proposition to go a an arm short on the roster. But, we have a good idea now of what we'll get out of him and there is no way to view him as an asset.
KT 90
AG
Missed most of the game, but hey at least Fairbanks looked good tonight. That's about it though. Stats looked like Smyly got hammered tonight. Need to pull the plug on that experiment.

gigem1223
KT 90 said:

Missed most of the game, but hey at least Fairbanks looked good tonight. That's about it though. Stats looked like Smyly got hammered tonight. Need to pull the plug on that experiment.

Yea and Sampson wasn't any better. 2 rough starts in a row for him. Hopefully he hasn't peaked and is now coming back down to earth.
94chem
... And a news flash. Lindor is good. Good night.
KT 90
AG
Just ran across this little nugget... yikes. Home runs to three straight batters on 5 pitches...

"After Jake Bauers led off the Indians' seventh with a 389-foot shot to right-center, Roberto Perez and Tyler Naquin followed with homers that measured more than 400 feet. Those long balls came in a span of five pitches off reliever Drew Smyly."

Rossko
AG
KT 90 said:

Just ran across this little nugget... yikes. Home runs to three straight batters on 5 pitches...

"After Jake Bauers led off the Indians' seventh with a 389-foot shot to right-center, Roberto Perez and Tyler Naquin followed with homers that measured more than 400 feet. Those long balls came in a span of five pitches off reliever Drew Smyly."
I was there tonight, he got some sarcastic applause after the 3rd.
KT 90
AG
The beat writers usually try to stay positive or at least neutral, so this is pretty significant:

DallasAg 94
... AND... we are still tied for the WC.
Mozart Paintings
AG
That's also a shout out to Gerry Fraley who used to say what a beating.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

It looks like to me that the Indians or Red Sox will win wild card 2 if the rosters stay as is.

If the rangers plug a hole or two, they probably have a fighting chance tho.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

It looks like to me that the Indians or Red Sox will win wild card 2 if the rosters stay as is.

Going into the season, I had (like others) concerns about how far our pitching would make it into the season. With all the TJ surgery and youth, the SP grind would seem to break down.

I have concerns that Adrian Sampson's 109 PC performance v Oakland, may lead to being skipped in the rotation. Maybe even a IL stint. Which makes me start to look more closely at Jurado. Where is he in the season?

Both look good, but are we seeing them as exposed in their ability... or just the grind of the season hump they just need to push through.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Going into the season, I had (like others) concerns about how far our pitching would make it into the season. With all the TJ surgery and youth, the SP grind would seem to break down.

I have concerns that Adrian Sampson's 109 PC performance v Oakland, may lead to being skipped in the rotation. Maybe even a IL stint. Which makes me start to look more closely at Jurado. Where is he in the season?

Both look good, but are we seeing them as exposed in their ability... or just the grind of the season hump they just need to push through.
I'm hoping it's "growing pains" more than anything. The league might have scouted them and made adjustments, now those 2 need to make adjustments of their own.
PatAg
AG
There are media seriously questioning Mike Young's number being retired. I don't get it at all, I think it's crazy it hadn't already happened
94chem
PatAg said:

There are media seriously questioning Mike Young's number being retired. I don't get it at all, I think it's crazy it hadn't already happened
Sure, but he's not ahead of Jim Sundberg, Juan Gonzalez, or Rafael Palmeiro. And he's not much ahead of Buddy Bell, Ian Kinsler, Josh Hamilton, Toby Harrah, and Ruben Sierra. He'd be about even with Elvis Andrus if Elvis retired today, maybe slightly ahead.

Edit to say that people forget how good Sundberg was because of Pudge being one of the 3 greatest catchers of all time.
DannyDuberstein
AG
The whole team HOF vs. number retirement adds a weird dynamic to how to consider these guys. Other than Johnny Oates, MY will be the first number retirement to be a certain no-go on the overall baseball HOF. As far as players go, it's gonna be 3 first ballots (Beltre is a formality) and Young who got 2% and won't be on a 2nd ballot.

So I can see debate if you consider the team's HOF to be one that recognizes the very franchise impactful but not baseball HOF worthy player like Young, while number retirements to be reserved for the transcendent HOF type.
TDub
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

The whole team HOF vs. number retirement adds a weird dynamic to how to consider these guys. Other than Johnny Oates, MY will be the first number retirement to be a certain no-go on the overall baseball HOF. As far as players go, it's gonna be 3 first ballots (Beltre is a formality) and Young who got 2% and won't be on a 2nd ballot.

So I can see debate if you consider the team's HOF to be one that recognizes the very franchise impactful but not baseball HOF worthy player like Young, while number retirements to be reserved for the transcendent HOF type.

Young should've made the HOF at some point. Unfortunate that he won't
KT 90
AG
Palumbo gets the start tonight:

Quote:

Texas Rangers lineup for June 19, 2019 against the Cleveland Indians: starting pitchers are Joe Palumbo for the Rangers and Adam Plutko for the Indians.
Texas takes on Cleveland this evening with Joe Palumbo back in the majors and getting the start.
The lineup:
Choo RF
DeShields CF
Elvis SS
Mazara DH
Calhoun LF
Cabrera 3B
Odor 2B
Forsythe 1B
Federowicz C

wbt5845
AG
I don't see MY as Baseball HoF worthy nor having his number retired. The way I see Rangers historical pecking order:

First level greats - In Baseball HoF - Pudge, Beltre, Ryan. Not just all HoFers, but first ballot guys.

Second level greats - AL MVP - Juan Gonzalez, Jeff Burroughs, A-Rod, Josh Hamilton

Third level greats - Texas Rangers HoF - Jim Sundberg, Michael Young, Jeff Russell, Kenny Rogers, Ruben Sierra, Toby Harrah, Rusty Greer, Buddy Bell, Fegie Jenkins, Charlie Hough. (Leaving our John Wettland for obvious reasons).

If you wanted to move anyone from that third level to second, Sundberg and Bell would be my choices. For multiple seasons, they were the best in the AL at their respective positions.
CampingAg
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Ranger broadcasts are so much more enjoyable to watch these days ( with the exception of Dave Raymond). I used to buy mlb tv so that I could avoid listening to Jim Knox. That guy was the worst! It was so frustrating and disrespectful that he would talk during the other teams at bats. The reality is that nobody cares about the couple who drove from Alaska to watch ranger games on their honey moon. Big whoop.
wat.jpg
Grapesoda2525
A win tonight would be huge

Rays and Astros both lost earlier today.

If you include Cleveland, that means we would gain on 3 teams just by winning today. Let's make it happen.
TXAggie2011
AG
wbt5845 said:

I don't see MY as Baseball HoF worthy nor having his number retired. The way I see Rangers historical pecking order:

First level greats - In Baseball HoF - Pudge, Beltre, Ryan. Not just all HoFers, but first ballot guys.

Second level greats - AL MVP - Juan Gonzalez, Jeff Burroughs, A-Rod, Josh Hamilton

Third level greats - Texas Rangers HoF - Jim Sundberg, Michael Young, Jeff Russell, Kenny Rogers, Ruben Sierra, Toby Harrah, Rusty Greer, Buddy Bell, Fegie Jenkins, Charlie Hough. (Leaving our John Wettland for obvious reasons).

If you wanted to move anyone from that third level to second, Sundberg and Bell would be my choices. For multiple seasons, they were the best in the AL at their respective positions.
I know Jeff Borroughs won the MVP, but it was one of the weakest MVP wins in baseball history and he was largely unspectacular to downright bad the other 3 whole seasons he played with the Rangers franchise.

I just don't see how he could be one of the top 6 or 7 franchise greats.

As far as Michael Young, he doesn't belong in Cooperstown and you can get into the advanced stats and make all sorts of arguments.

But, a jersey retirement is---or ought to be---about a lot more than computer calculated stats.
wbt5845
AG
Interesting bit of trivia - only 7 first overall draft picks have won a league MVP award - and three of them did it as Rangers.

Jeff Bouroughs
Chipper Jones
Alex Rodriguez
Ken Griffey, Jr.
Bryce Harper
Joe Mauer
Josh Hamilton
PatAg
AG
94chem said:

PatAg said:

Sure, but he's not ahead of Jim Sundberg, Juan Gonzalez, or Rafael Palmeiro. And he's not much ahead of Buddy Bell, Ian Kinsler, Josh Hamilton, Toby Harrah, and Ruben Sierra. He'd be about even with Elvis Andrus if Elvis retired today, maybe slightly ahead.

Edit to say that people forget how good Sundberg was because of Pudge being one of the 3 greatest catchers of all time.
You're out of your mind.
gigem1223
Hope the bats came tonight
Baby Billy
AG
Weeeellllllpppp.

btw, Palumbo reminds me of young Derek Holland
MSFC Aggie
AG
Ugh
gigem1223
How does a fast 2nd baseman not know how to lay down a bunt down the 3rd baseline? Rougie could bunt a damn double nearly every time if he'd quit thinking he's Hank frickon Aaron.
gigem1223
BS missed call just cost us a run
Baby Billy
AG
gigem1223 said:

How does a fast 2nd baseman not know how to lay down a bunt down the 3rd baseline? Rougie could bunt a damn double nearly every time if he'd quit thinking he's Hank frickon Aaron.

Because he wants to pop off a bomb and show off all his swag. Makes me sick when I see him hit a HR and stunt around the basepaths like he doesn't have the worst average in the entire league
PatAg
AG
Huell Babineaux said:

gigem1223 said:

Because he wants to pop off a bomb and show off all his swag. Makes me sick when I see him hit a HR and stunt around the basepaths like he doesn't have the worst average in the entire league
do we just have to hope a team is dumb enough to trade for him and his 2 horses?
Schall 02
AG
I'll take Rangers Dissapointments for $600 please, Alex.

Zero.

[Buzzzzzzzzzz!]

What is the confidence you have in Delino Deshields, Jr.'s ability to have a successful at bat with a runner in scoring position?

Correct!
First Page Last Page
Page 69 of 136

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.