*****Offical Texas Rangers 2019 Season Thread*****

467,655 Views | 4725 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
Jimtim1216
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
I was ok with being patient when it seemed like we were still going to be a 90+ loss team, and the rest of the rotation (except Minor) was also underperforming. But we have gotten great starts and a lot more consistency out of the other 3 starters recently, and we are in the wild card hunt early on. I don't know who the solution is, but almost anything is better than trotting Smyly out there.
Old Tom Morris
Which is what makes the last 3 outings the most frustrating. I didnt have an issue with that approach in April either, but he's getting shelled worse than ever now. But wild card race or not, it's not doing him or anyone else any good to keep sending him out to face MLB pitching right now. He should have been in AAA weeks ago.
_lefraud_
AG
Odor would have gotten thrown out at 3rd trying to stretch that hit out...

/grapesoda
DallasAg 94
I think he'll be "examined" and put on the IL. My guess is, we'll see in "rehab" games if he has any chance to provide value in 2019, to the Rangers.

He got through the 1st, and then one out in 2nd. Then the hit on his thigh makes for a legit excuse. But, what I tell my boys, if you hadn't have had all those other chances, this wouldn't look as bad.

After getting hit, I think it was an attempt to see if he could burn some innings. After the HR, you figure save the BP. After 5 Runs in 3IP... it appears to be Miller time for long-relief.

Rangers still have a shot to come back, but jeez...
Old Tom Morris
Guzman can be a wizard at 1st and that was a tough handcuffing in between hop, but it looks like he may have handcuffed himself a bit by going prematurely into a stretch. That lead foot put him in weird position to try to handle that one.
Jimtim1216
S
Think Palumbo might need more time in the minors, but at this point I think Smyly needs to go on the I.L. and give Palumbo his next start or two. See if you can accelerate his timeline and get him to stick. Would love it.
DallasAg 94
Fairbanks debuts by striking out the side on 14 pitches.
gigem1223
Have a day Rougie
wbt5845
AG
Odor,

All is forgiven.

Love,

AiT
AggieDPT
AG
All the Oakland damage was done on the two spares who don't need to see the field anymore: Smyly and Miller
TDub
AG
gigem1223
Good lord...what has happened to leclerc?
gigem1223
Mirror image almost of the last Smyly start. This team doesn't quit. Let's see if they can cash in this time.
gigem1223
...And same result. Thank God we won't see Smyly start another game. Lets see if Rougie can heat up a little after today.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
Would've been tied if not for Leclerc. Cut Smyly ASAP, there's gotta be SOMEONE in AAA worth giving a shot over him. We're throwing away the game every time he pitches. Gotta give credit to the guys for battling back though, they've proven this year that they never quit on a game.
_lefraud_
AG
AggieDPT said:

All the Oakland damage was done on the two spares who don't need to see the field anymore: Smyly and Miller

If Miller gets the ground ball out to start the inning, he doesn't give up 3 runs for his outing. I think he could have some real value coming out of the pen long-term.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Miller has been brutal but he's showing signs of offering something. He put together 3-4 clean one inning outings lately and his BB rate has improved a lot. Smyly can't stop walking guys and giving up dingers. He offers no sign of having any control of what's going on out there or the stuff to get away with anything.
Jimtim1216
S
Not sure what the answer for the last spot. The rebuilding project is ahead of where many if not all thought it would be at this point.
cmiller00
AG
Jung 2-4 with 2 HRs in tech's win over Oklahoma state
Schall 02
AG
Jimtim1216 said:

Not sure what the answer for the last spot. The rebuilding project is ahead of where many if not all thought it would be at this point.

Is it? Or is the team playing to its potential with guys that are not part of the rebuild core?
Grapesoda2525
Good game for odor. Need more of that.
DallasAg 94
Schall 02 said:

Jimtim1216 said:

Is it? Or is the team playing to its potential with guys that are not part of the rebuild core?
You knew I'd make a tl ; dr post.

I would say it is a little of everything. The core guys are playing to the potential we thought they could attain, but didn't reach last year. Better than last year, at a minimum. Almost the entire Offense under-peformed in 2018.

It starts with the Core (2019, 2018, 2017):
Andrus (30): 54 G, .301, 6 HR, 5SB vs 97G, .256, 6 HR, 13 SB, 2017: 158 G, .297, 20 HR, 25 SB
Choo (36): 59G, .289, 11 HR vs 146G, .264, 21 HR
Gallo (25): 50G, .276, 17 HRs. vs 148, .206, 40 HRs - 2017: 145G, .209, 41HR
Mazara (24): 50G, .268, 9 HR vs 128G, .258, 20 HR, 148G, .253, 20HR
DeShields (26): 40 G, .241, 1 HR, 10 SB vs 106G, .216, 2 HR, 20 S, 2017: 120G, .269, 6HR, 29 SB

Only Odor (25) has not improved from 2018. IKF (24) is C, so his measures are different.

Then, you have the replacement players (Beltre, Chirinos) and bench players you need when injuries occur, days off, etc.

Rangers signed:
Pence (OF): .49G, 284, 13 HR
Forsythe (Util): 47G, .281, 3 HR
Santana (Util): 42G, .288, 4 HR
Cabrera (3B): 56G, .260, 10 HR

Keeping in mind, Pence and Forsythe were also brought in to instill a readiness mindset, to be prepared to come off the bench.

Then:
Mathis (C): 35G, .152, 1 HR
But Mathis was not brought in to rake, but to mentor and bring along IKF and young Catchers.

From a pitching perspective...
This is more difficult, because Minor is really the only SP we've held-over. But for grins:

Just performance of some players to compare:
Minor (31): 13GS, 2.55ERA vs 28GS, 4.18 vs (KC-RP) 65G, 2.55ERA
Lynn (32): 13GS, 4.39ERA vs (NY)9GS, 4.14 vs 20GS, 5.10
Perez (28): (Min) 10GS, 3.72 v 15GS, 6.22 vs 32, 4.82 ERA
Cole Hamels (35): (CHC) 14GS, 3.24, 2018-Cubs: 12GS, 2.36 (Tex) 20GS, 4.72, 2017: 24GS, 4.20

Jurado (23), Sampson (27), Smyly, Volq, et al... that's a mixed bag that we can't really compare, IMO. Jurado and Sampson are both developing players with little really to compare.
Smyly was a throw in from the Cubs, that was really more about getting something for Hamels' opt-out money owed. He and Volq were both TJ guys that were a crap shoot.

Having said that... Jurado and Sampson are both Serfs who look like they could be solid pieces of the core.

RP?! Hard to measure that, other than to say Kelley and Chavez appear to be doing well and under contract next year. Leclerc (25) appears to be broken.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Schall 02 said:

Jimtim1216 said:

You knew I'd make a tl ; dr post.

I would say it is a little of everything. The core guys are playing to the potential we thought they could attain, but didn't reach last year. Better than last year, at a minimum. Almost the entire Offense under-peformed in 2018.

It starts with the Core (2019, 2018, 2017):
Andrus (30): 54 G, .301, 6 HR, 5SB vs 97G, .256, 6 HR, 13 SB, 2017: 158 G, .297, 20 HR, 25 SB
Choo (36): 59G, .289, 11 HR vs 146G, .264, 21 HR
Gallo (25): 50G, .276, 17 HRs. vs 148, .206, 40 HRs - 2017: 145G, .209, 41HR
Mazara (24): 50G, .268, 9 HR vs 128G, .258, 20 HR, 148G, .253, 20HR
DeShields (26): 40 G, .241, 1 HR, 10 SB vs 106G, .216, 2 HR, 20 S, 2017: 120G, .269, 6HR, 29 SB

Only Odor (25) has not improved from 2018. IKF (24) is C, so his measures are different.

Then, you have the replacement players (Beltre, Chirinos) and bench players you need when injuries occur, days off, etc.

Rangers signed:
Pence (OF): .49G, 284, 13 HR
Forsythe (Util): 47G, .281, 3 HR
Santana (Util): 42G, .288, 4 HR
Cabrera (3B): 56G, .260, 10 HR

Keeping in mind, Pence and Forsythe were also brought in to instill a readiness mindset, to be prepared to come off the bench.

Then:
Mathis (C): 35G, .152, 1 HR
But Mathis was not brought in to rake, but to mentor and bring along IKF and young Catchers.

From a pitching perspective...
This is more difficult, because Minor is really the only SP we've held-over. But for grins:

Just performance of some players to compare:
Minor (31): 13GS, 2.55ERA vs 28GS, 4.18 vs (KC-RP) 65G, 2.55ERA
Lynn (32): 13GS, 4.39ERA vs (NY)9GS, 4.14 vs 20GS, 5.10
Perez (28): (Min) 10GS, 3.72 v 15GS, 6.22 vs 32, 4.82 ERA
Cole Hamels (35): (CHC) 14GS, 3.24, 2018-Cubs: 12GS, 2.36 (Tex) 20GS, 4.72, 2017: 24GS, 4.20

Jurado (23), Sampson (27), Smyly, Volq, et al... that's a mixed bag that we can't really compare, IMO. Jurado and Sampson are both developing players with little really to compare.
Smyly was a throw in from the Cubs, that was really more about getting something for Hamels' opt-out money owed. He and Volq were both TJ guys that were a crap shoot.

Having said that... Jurado and Sampson are both Serfs who look like they could be solid pieces of the core.

RP?! Hard to measure that, other than to say Kelley and Chavez appear to be doing well and under contract next year. Leclerc (25) appears to be broken.
I'm wondering what's going to happen when gallo and Calhoun come back. If we can get someone decent to replace smyly, maybe we could get by with one less pitcher.
DallasAg 94
Some comparisons on hitting from 2019 (64Gs) to 2018 (162Gs).

This compares the stats of: Guzman, Odor, Andrus, Gallo, DeShields, Mazara and Choo

BA: .259 vs .242
R: 212 v 453
2019 Pace: 536 Runs

HR: 57 v 123
2019 Pace: 144 HR

RBI: 197 v 407
2019 Pace: 498 RBI

SB: 37 v 48
2019 Pace: 93 SB

CS: 13 v 24
2019 Pace: 33 CS

SB Success %:
2018: 67%
2019: 74%

BB: 142 v 353
2019 Pace: 359 BB

I could have included IKF, but stand by the idea that his growth needs to be behind the plate.

All of that success, which includes how poorly Odor has performed this year. I think Odor has bought in. He bunted for a base hit, went the other way for a double and took a BB. I missed his other double, so not sure where it went. OH... and stole Home.

Yes, it was a break out game (hopefully), but more importantly, IMO, it had him do the things he doesn't normally like do. Things we've seen the others add, that have improved the team. Things like going the opposite way and walking, but it also allowed him to do the edgy, risky things he likes to do. Like stealing home. If he gets his BA up to .275... this team is going to be scary good, offensively.

And aside from Choo... this is the core.
Grapesoda2525
The idiots on lone star ball ( rangers forum) are frustrating.

They seem to want to DFA Santana to make room for gallo / Calhoun. Santana is hitting close to .300 and his OPS is .801, which is better than average. The rangers also have cheap control of him until the 2022 season. It's a no brainer to keep him.

He's a better than average bench player. I don't want to go back to a really weak bench like the one we had last year. Carlos tocci, Drew Robinson, and Ryan Rua were atrocious.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

I'm wondering what's going to happen when gallo and Calhoun come back. If we can get someone decent to replace smyly, maybe we could get by with one less pitcher.
I would think Woody coming from the Dodgers, he'd want another bench player. We currently have 13 pitchers.

I think Miller is a good option for cleaning up a game... long-relief if necessary.

Brett Martin is likely heading down, if we keep Fairbanks... who seemed to really do well. Of course, once he gets some visibility, we'll see. I can imagine the A's were like, "I have no idea what he has."

Leclerc may find him self on the IL, and Springs is probably right behind Brett Martin.

Trevor Bauer is looking more and more interesting.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

They seem to want to DFA Santana to make room for gallo / Calhoun. Santana is hitting close to .300 and his OPS is .801, which is better than average. The rangers also have cheap control of him until the 2022 season. It's a no brainer to keep him.

He's a better than average bench player. I don't want to go back to a really weak bench like the one we had last year. Carlos tocci, Drew Robinson, and Ryan Rua were atrocious.
Well, you are probably Santana's biggest advocate.

I don't see them sending him down. The problem with Santana is, he is a defensive liability. He can play many positions, and is serviceable, but doesn't really command any position well. They had a rain delay show, and Forsythe was talking about what he does as a Util guy. They showed Santana learning the 1B position. He said, "The first time I play 1B in a game, I'm going to be really nervous." It reiterated his willingness to do what ever he is asked, even if he is uncomfortable.

I think what Pence and Forsythe bring to the guys is going to really be beneficial.

This will be great in a WS game, if we get that far. Having bench players that you can bring in to PH, and then play in the field will be valuable.

In the playoffs, the rotation shortens and you can use SP as RP on their throwing days.

I'm getting WAY ahead of things, though.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Well, you are probably Santana's biggest advocate.

I don't see them sending him down. The problem with Santana is, he is a defensive liability. He can play many positions, and is serviceable, but doesn't really command any position well. They had a rain delay show, and Forsythe was talking about what he does as a Util guy. They showed Santana learning the 1B position. He said, "The first time I play 1B in a game, I'm going to be really nervous." It reiterated his willingness to do what ever he is asked, even if he is uncomfortable.

I think what Pence and Forsythe bring to the guys is going to really be beneficial.

This will be great in a WS game, if we get that far. Having bench players that you can bring in to PH, and then play in the field will be valuable.

In the playoffs, the rotation shortens and you can use SP as RP on their throwing days.

I'm getting WAY ahead of things, though.
Santana's presence is a good thing for odor too. We need a capable player breathing down his neck at all times to increase the likelihood that he will perform. If it was my call, I wouldn't accept a 2 month+ slump from any player unless they were an all star.
wbt5845
AG
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

Santana's presence is a good thing for odor too. We need a capable player breathing down his neck at all times to increase the likelihood that he will perform. If it was my call, I wouldn't accept a 2 month+ slump from any player unless they were an all star.
SO... you think Santana's presence has inspired Odor, and keeping Santana will continue to keep fear on Odor, so that he performs well?

I promise you, Odor does NOT see Santana as anything other than a fill-in part time utility player. There is no way Santana has inspired Odor.
wbt5845
AG
The only motivation a professional baseball player needs is the millions of dollars in his next free agent contract.
Aggie_3
Would love to get a run here in the 6th
Mr Gigem
AG
Nice little pitchers duel we got going on. I like it
Michael Cera Palin
AG
Really Delino?
Mr Gigem
AG
Let's go boys!
First Page Last Page
Page 57 of 136

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.