*****Offical Texas Rangers 2019 Season Thread*****

467,650 Views | 4725 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
Danny Vermin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Woody needs to let him start the 9th with only 94 pitches and he's been making them look stupid the last few innings.
PatAg
AG
now he sings Soprano
Carlo4
AG
A season defining pitch.

Top 9
1 out
2-1 count to Davis, Ranger killer
Shakes off catcher and throws a 2 seam on the black
Swing and miss

That's a pitch thrown by a man with extreme confidence. Love it!
Danny Vermin
Man, several nuts shots this game. Kinda funny since Beltre was known for never wearing a cup.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Fire up the Pat green!
cmiller00
94chem
What the heck was that? Is Sampson a legit #3? 4 total pitchers in a DH sweep without using any of the top relievers.
DeangeloVickers
AG
5 QSs
27/4 K/BB

Craziness
sincereag
I'm starting to get interested in these Rangers. I thought they were going to be complete garbage this summer. What a nice surprise to be 5 games over .500 and in contention for a wild card spot.
sincereag
First time in the the club's history they have swept a split double header. First time in 11 tries.
Grapesoda2525
Impressive day for the rangers.

They swept a double header against their nemesis. Oakland has been destroying this team lately. The rangers gained ground on every team today. The Astros lost, the Red Sox split a double header, and the A's obviously lost twice.

Bullpens top guys were given an unexpected day off and they will need it because the dreaded drew smyly is pitching tomorrow.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
Didn't get a chance to watch tonight, out on the road, but congrats to Beltre.

It's a shame 2011 ended the way it did, but I'm so glad we got to witness 8 years of one of the greatest to ever play. It's gonna be great day when he's inducted into Cooperstown, and I couldn't be happier Adrian is going to be enshrined as a Ranger.
Grapesoda2525
I've gotta give this team a lot of credit.

If you asked me October of last year, I would've told you that this team would stink and would lose 100 games. I'd probably tell you that I might watch 80 games or so.

So far I've watched probably every game but 5.

This is probably the funnest ranger team to watch since our last trip to the World Series. It's no secret that I was never on board the Banister train. I get a good feeling from woodward tho and I think the team is finally in good hands again.
Danny Vermin
I actually agree with grapesoda. When the Rangers came up in conversation before the season i was not very positive. Now, not only am i pleasantly surprised at how they are doing, I really want one of the wildcard spots and believe it's possible especially if we can find a better 5th starter than Smyly.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Ryno01 said:

Fire up the Pat green!

Did they change the song after a win? Thought they played Robert Earl Keen.
PatAg
AG
Ranger #007 said:

Ryno01 said:

Fire up the Pat green!

Did they change the song after a win? Thought they played Robert Earl Keen.
The song has always been Pat Green - I Like Texas
KT 90
AG

jtstanley4621
AG
Really feel like Sampson is on the path to becoming a decent starter. Absolutely not a guy I thought before the season would develop like that.

I think the new staff deserves a lot of credit. It actually feels like they're UTILIZING the young talent we have and coaching them up. At least more than what Banister ever did. I think long term Woodward is going to prove himself to be a good hire. Already helping give us some hope for the future of the Rangers rotation is a great sign.
DallasAg 94
KT 90 said:

I believe they were saying during the 1st G, yesterday... that the Rangers had 8 pitchers make their MLB debut this season, which tied a team record.

Fairbanks will be #9, I suppose.

Palumbo
Valdez
Kyle Bird
Wei-Chieh Huang
Taylor Hearn
Kyle Dowdy
Brett Martin

I could only find 7. Not sure if we had another that didn't get in the game, their stat was wrong, or I heard it wrong.

Regardless, I see 3-4 more getting called up before the rosters expand in Sept.

Not sure why the Rangers felt DFA'ing Gardewine for Fairbanks was the right move. I'm guessing there will be more to the story. Maybe it has to do with the Rangers PTBNL for Federowicz.

If he does well, player from set A, struggles, player from set B. Guy hits a HR, and a player from set A in on the move.

DFA Gardewine off the 40, if he clears they send him. Fairbanks is a 2015 drafted player, so I would think he is Rule V, after the season... maybe this is just a chance to see what he does as a RHP at the MLB level. 14.1 K/9IP is pretty impressive. Not sure why he didn't pitch in 2018. He was a SP before and now a RP.
DallasAg 94
jtstanley4621 said:

Really feel like Sampson is on the path to becoming a decent starter. Absolutely not a guy I thought before the season would develop like that.

I think the new staff deserves a lot of credit. It actually feels like they're UTILIZING the young talent we have and coaching them up. At least more than what Banister ever did. I think long term Woodward is going to prove himself to be a good hire. Already helping give us some hope for the future of the Rangers rotation is a great sign.
The backbone for the Dodgers has always been the success of young pitchers.

Drysdale was 19 when he debut in '56 with a 12gS, 2.64 ERA.
Valenzuela was 19 when he made his MLB debut in 1980. In '81, he went 25GS, 2.48 ERA.
Kershaw was 20 when he went 21GS, 4.26, in '08 and in '09 he went 30 GS, 2.79.
Urias was 19 when he debut in '16 with 15GS, 3.39.

If Woody learned anything from the Dodgers, I'm hoping it is how to bring a young pitcher up, and see success. How Jurado and Sampson and many of these players are handled is not what we've seen in the past.

Imagine Martin Perez?!
AgBQ-00
AG
They were talking about had we had 7 already this year and the record was 8. So this one will tie the record. I'm sure we will see at least one more this year. So it could be historic in that aspect
You do not have a soul. You are a soul that has a body.

We sing Hallelujah! The Lamb has overcome!
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Well hell. I guess I haven't been paying attention. Would have sworn it was I'm Going to Town. In my defense I live in Houston and haven't been able to make a game in Arlington in a really long time.
DallasAg 94
Some scoreboard watching:

Tam 3
Bos 0
T3

Min 3
Det 1
B3

NYY 5
Cle 0
B2

League:
Hou ALWest
Minn 0.5 GB ALCen
NYY 3.5 GB WC or ALEast
Tam 3.5 GB WC or ALEast
Tex 8.5 GB WC
----------------------
Bos 9.5 GB
Cle 10 GB
Oak 11.5 GB

It'd be nice to pick up another game on both Bos and Oak.

Next up 4 at BoSox.
Mr Gigem
AG
If we can take 3/4 from Boston, we need to look back at what Sampson really was able to accomplish yesterday. Gave the top BP guys an entire day off. Incredible
DallasAg 94
AccidentProne said:

If we can take 3/4 from Boston, we need to look back at what Sampson really was able to accomplish yesterday. Gave the top BP guys an entire day off. Incredible
Let's see what Smyly does, today...
DallasAg 94
Here we go.

Feder going at C.

Santana in CF.

Smyly on the mound. It was mentioned he has had an ankle issue on his left ankle, which has prevented him from driving off on the ball. Guess we'll see. No Opener.

Wind appears to be blowing in, so hopefully no early blasts. Hopefully the wind knocks down any that are launched.
Grapesoda2525
Smyly's spot in the rotation should be on the line today.
DallasAg 94
Holy crap.

Just as I posted that, Canha launches one, and Pence with a spectacular play to get the out.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

Smyly's spot in the rotation should be on the line today.
Well, they sent Palumbo down, so I'm guessing if Smyly does poorly, we'll hear more about the IL and his ankle. That would give them the ability to call Palumbo back up.

Next rotation spot for Smyly would be @Cincy... batting .232.
DallasAg 94
Easy to say now, but should have taken him out after getting plunked in the thigh.

Looks like Smyly will head to the IL. Hopefully they kept Palumbo around so he can pack up with the team and head to Boston.
Mr Gigem
AG
Hopefully this is the end of the Smyly experiment
Jimtim1216
S
Jesus Christ, Smyly. Please let this be his last appearance of any kind in a Ranger's uniform...
Danny Vermin
Davis had to get at least one HR this series.
Old Tom Morris
I just don't understand why it takes until mid-June to figure out this guy's got jack *****
Old Tom Morris
He's now surrendered 15 HR and 31 BB's in 45 innings of pitching this year. Gotta work to be that bad.
First Page Last Page
Page 56 of 136

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.