*****Offical Texas Rangers 2019 Season Thread*****

467,810 Views | 4725 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
alvtimes
How long do you want to ignore this user?
what happens to the rebuild if Elvis opts out????
wbt5845
AG
Alvarado Times said:

Still doubtful as it was last year.

After 2019, his contract is $14-$15 MM for 4 more years.

Can he get > $15 MM on the open market? Maybe.

Can he get > $15 MM for 5 years? He's a 31 year old middle infielder who hits for little power (6-7 HRs per year). I don't know.
Rossko
AG
Not sure if anyone watched, but Ryan Garcia had a solid outing against Michigan last night.

7.2IP 5H 3R 2ER 1BB 8K - 110 pitches (75 strikes)

He has a really good changeup and only gave up the ER with 2 outs when a groundball hugged the line at 3B for a double to get two men in scoring position. The next batter hit one of those in between flares that the RF gave up on and allowed it to drop scoring both runners.

He seems to pound the zone and go after hitters like an anti-Darvish. I'm looking forward to watching his career in our organization.
Old Tom Morris
Wtf. Mazara swings at a pitch that hits him in the thigh, and the ump calls it foul forcing Elvis back to 1st
aggietony2010
AG
Old Tom Morris said:

Wtf. Mazara swings at a pitch that hits him in the thigh, and the ump calls it foul forcing Elvis back to 1st

If it hit him, and he swing, it's a dead ball strike. So for baserunning purposes, it's a foul (in that Elvis should stay at 1st)
God save the Patriarchy!
DallasAg 94
Love the hustle.

Pence scores from 2nd on a liner to LF.
Old Tom Morris
Beautiful way to start a DH. Work that first starter over in the 1st
Old Tom Morris
You're right. And I knew that rule. Dumbass brain fart
DallasAg 94
Good patient hitters.

Rangers get Blackburn to through 41 PC in the 1st inning, of a double header. The ability for Blackburn to pitch deep into this game is over, even if he is efficient. Rangers should be able to get to him in the 2nd for more damage. Also, you have the defense on the field in 85-90F heat for about 20-25 mins.

Could also impact the night game.
DallasAg 94
Palumbo looking good. 25 PC through 2.0 IP, 3 K. Pounding the zone with 19 Strikes.

Granted, he has the advantage, being his debut... but making the most of it, so far.
Grapesoda2525
What's the story on Palumbo?

Rangers draft pick? Acquired by trade?

He's been more efficient so far than drew smyly has ever looked in a rangers uniform.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

What's the story on Palumbo?

Rangers draft pick? Acquired by trade?

He's been more efficient so far than drew smyly has ever looked in a rangers uniform.
Rangers draft from HS... had TJ surgery, IIRC 3 years ago. He was ranked high on the prospect list, until he was injured.

After that, he emerged quickly, after I had forgotten about him.

I could have him confused with another pitcher. I always think I mix him with Pedro Payano.
Schall 02
AG
Quoting Scott Lucas:

"Irrespective of the immediate results, Palumbo represents a huge success for the scouting and development staff (and Joe himself, of course.) Palumbo was a 30th-round pick in 2013 and drew little notice until three years later, when his velocity spiked and he began fanning hitters in abundance in full-season ball. Then, he lost most of 2017 and 2018 to elbow surgery. He returned with arsenal intact last June. On Saturday, He'll be a Major Leaguer. Go get 'em, Joe."
Old Tom Morris
Blackburn is gonna need an IV after this, and he's only going to have worked about 3 innings
Quincey P. Morris
AG
wbt5845 said:

Alvarado Times said:

Still doubtful as it was last year.

After 2019, his contract is $14-$15 MM for 4 more years.

Can he get > $15 MM on the open market? Maybe.

Can he get > $15 MM for 5 years? He's a 31 year old middle infielder who hits for little power (6-7 HRs per year). I don't know.

I don't really know if we know what his power numbers are gonna be right now. He hit 20 HR two years ago. Last was back to six but he was out a lot and his at bats were way down. This year he already has six. Not that that means he's going to be able to opt out, I just don't know if we can say his power numbers are a knock on him right now.
DallasAg 94
Welcome to the Rangers, Federowicz.

3R HR.
Grapesoda2525
His OPS is probably higher than Mathis already.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

His OPS is probably higher than Mathis already.
So far 1-2, BB, HR, 3RBI, 1R

Mathis has 3RBIs
DallasAg 94
You have to figure the Rangers might be willing to let this game slip.

You have Federowicz and Palumbo making their Rangers debut.

Forsythe and Santana on the bench.

Both Blackburn and Bassitt are RHP.
Grapesoda2525
what do you mean by letting a game slip?
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

what do you mean by letting a game slip?
Stack your players to better enable you win one game, knowing you may lose the other game. As opposed to spreading out the chances of winning and losing both games.

Against RHP, DeShields is batting .211, Odor is batting .140 (RHP), and Federowicz is a AAA unknown... while you have a AA SP on the mound.

Where as, you likely have Santana (.324 against RHP), Forsythe (.306 against RHP), and Mathis (more known than Federowicz) with Sampson on the mound.

Woody could have hedged his bets and split up the Offense.

As is, we look well positioned (6 Outs) to take the game you likely don't expect to win... a game you might let slip from your grip.
Grapesoda2525
Matt Bush is heading to frisco.

It would be huge for this team if he can get back to what he was a few years ago. Could probably send dowdy packing then.
DallasAg 94
Phillips Valdez came in for some work.

I didn't know for DHs you could add a 26th player. He was not even on the 40, so I wonder if there is an exception for the 40, as well.

https://www.lonestarball.com/2019/6/8/18657787/texas-rangers-transactions-joe-palumbo-recalled-david-carpenter-dfad-phillips-valdez-up

He looked good.

DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

It would be huge for this team if he can get back to what he was a few years ago. Could probably send dowdy packing then.
Dowdy is a Rule V guy. If they DFA him, he has to be offered back to the Indians.

He was put on the IL, and it was suggested in one article that by the time he will be required to rehab... and then a 30-day rehab... it is likely he won't be back on the 25 roster before the September call-ups, which means he is all but done holding a BP spot.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Dowdy is a Rule V guy. If they DFA him, he has to be offered back to the Indians.

He was put on the IL, and it was suggested in one article that by the time he will be required to rehab... and then a 30-day rehab... it is likely he won't be back on the 25 roster before the September call-ups, which means he is all but done holding a BP spot.
Good..... hopefully they take their time and make sure he's healthy, while also keeping him as far away from the big team as possible.
DallasAg 94
HELLO WIN COLUMN!!!
DallasAg 94
That was fun.

Good to see a couple young guys make their MLB debut and have some success.

I missed Palumbo's 4R 4Inning, but he looked good. Not sure if it was that the hitters caught up to him and figured him out, or he "tired" mentally.

Valdez looked effortless on his 92mph FB. Looked like his 2nd inning might have started to get away from him, but he finished it out, saving the BP.

Going to have to record the game tonight... Heading out to TMS for the DXC 600.
PatAg
AG
I think for Young, you would bring him and Sundberg out and "dual" retire the #10 maybe a solution
PatAg
AG
It's so ****ed that we didnt win the series in Game 6
DeangeloVickers
AG
Odor and Mathis in a lineup together makes life tough...
DeangeloVickers
AG
This is where you pinch hit Mathis. Please
DeangeloVickers
AG
Eat crow!! Wow!!
Old Tom Morris
Cup check
Danny Vermin
AccidentProne said:

Santana has one of the laziest swings

Maybe but it's very effective.
Aggie_3
Sampson is giving the bullpen a very nice rest tonight!
First Page Last Page
Page 55 of 136

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.