*****Offical Texas Rangers 2019 Season Thread*****

467,978 Views | 4725 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
DallasAg 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I don't believe the additional revenue from adjoining assets will equate to a higher payroll.

I'm not doubting what you know or what your are being told.

I guess I'm coming from the perspective that Tom Hicks created a separate entity for parking, so that he could reduce the amount of revenue attached to the team, in order to justify a lower payroll.

I'm still trying to figure out how the Rangers justified the $120M payroll for 2019, as if that was all that the team's revenue could support.

We currently occupy a WC spot and I'm not expecting any increase in spending to fill the numerous holes we currently have.

I could be wrong and/or surprised.
DallasAg 94
I'm not going to "quote" in case you want to delete or blot out the name.

I don't doubt what anyone said... or believes to happen. I do know what I see.

I really don't see how the Rangers could increase payroll $60M. We don't have enough open needs.
Minor, Lynn, Jurado and Sampson are your 4 SPs. At this point, I can't see the Rangers signing two SPs. If they trade for a SP, you could give up Jurado and/or Sampson to be included to get someone like Stroman (A3, next year).

Our needs and what we might spend?
SP - Say, Stroman
SP - $25M signing
3B - $10-15M?
CF - $10M?
DallasAg 94
Following the Kimbrel/Keuchel markets.

Atlanta is out on Kimbrel, with possible Cubs interest. I don't buy the Cubs' interest.
Leaves mainly Minn & Philly.

Cleveland has shelved Carassco (SP) due to blood issue. Another SP down in the AL.

Is the market closing in... or falling apart for these two?
wbt5845
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

I don't believe the additional revenue from adjoining assets will equate to a higher payroll.

I'm not doubting what you know or what your are being told.

I guess I'm coming from the perspective that Tom Hicks created a separate entity for parking, so that he could reduce the amount of revenue attached to the team, in order to justify a lower payroll.

I'm still trying to figure out how the Rangers justified the $120M payroll for 2019, as if that was all that the team's revenue could support.

We currently occupy a WC spot and I'm not expecting any increase in spending to fill the numerous holes we currently have.

I could be wrong and/or surprised.
Yeah, Ray Davis and Bob Simpson ain't Tom Hicks. Tom Hicks had the bad habit of buying an entity with other people's money and squeezing it dry of every penny he could then walking away from it.

The present ownership group has shown a commitment to writing damned big checks when the team has a chance to win. But the cash flow has to work - it is a business, you know.
Mr Gigem
AG
There was a lot of internal stuff that we were hemorrhaging money on, hence the cut back on payroll to save money. That happened to couple perfectly with the state of the team and the unwillingness to spend big money on FAs. We are essentially "righting the ship" right now and will be able to spend $175+ Million
Disco Stu
AG
For the final series of the year I checked the prices on the Live by Loews Hotel and they sure are proud of that hotel.
txagman1998
AG
Quote:

I don't disagree, in a general sense...but how you maximize resources and talent?

Choo: .302, 11 HR, .386 OBP, and 1 more year on his contract
Mazara: .272, 8 HR, .329 OBP.
Gallo isn't going anywhere.

Pence has this year. .295, 11 HR
Santana can play CF. Controlled through 2021, as an Arb
Calhoun

I'd be fine sending Mazara off... or someone. Pence might be willing to add another year.

Who knows... just think we've got an asset to sell there, somewhere.

That asset is Pence. He is 36 years old and on a 1yr/$2MM deal. Assuming Calhoun and Gallo are healthy as we near the trade deadline, this is your tradeable asset. I like him very much and he is great for the clubhouse, but he has too much short term value to hold on to.
KT 90
AG
Looks like Dowdy is effectively done for the season most likely, at least until September it appears:

Quote:

Right-hander Kyle Dowdy is down with an elbow impingement, the severity of which is unknown. He's on the 10-day injured list, a transaction that isn't as simple for Rule 5 picks.

They can do on the IL, but they also are required to spend 90 days on the active roster. Dowdy has been active all season for a total of 67 days, so the Rangers can get up to 90 even if he is out a couple months.
Don't be surprised if they go into the four corners offense with this one, similar to what they tried to do with 2018 Rule 5 pick Carlos Tocci. Dowdy will need time to heal and then will have to start a throwing program. He can spend 30 days on a rehab assignment.
Sept. 1, when rosters expand, might not be too much of a stretch.
Dowdy has pitched sparingly since being acquired the day before Opening Day, and that has contributed to him not pitched all that well. He could get more reps on his rehab assignment, and possibly even transition back to the starter's role he had during much of his time in the minors.
The Rangers should consider that in light of their shortfall of advanced starters in the minors. It could serve them well next season. They could get a look at him in the rotation in September if they are out of contention.
The final month could be the next time Dowdy is seen on the active roster.

KT 90
AG
txagman1998 said:

Quote:

I don't disagree, in a general sense...but how you maximize resources and talent?

Calhoun

I'd be fine sending Mazara off... or someone. Pence might be willing to add another year.

That asset is Pence. He is 36 years old and on a 1yr/$2MM deal. Assuming Calhoun and Gallo are healthy as we near the trade deadline, this is your tradeable asset. I like him very much and he is great for the clubhouse, but he has too much short term value to hold on to.

Agree with this and have posted similar in the past. We could possibly approach him about an extension for 2020 if we are interested in that, but otherwise he needs to be flipped for younger prospects. I'd consider trading Mazara too, depending on the return. He's limited in the field, but is a good (but not great) hitter. Of course we could try to trade Choo, but we'd have to almost give him away due to the contract.

Grapesoda2525
AccidentProne said:

There was a lot of internal stuff that we were hemorrhaging money on, hence the cut back on payroll to save money. That happened to couple perfectly with the state of the team and the unwillingness to spend big money on FAs. We are essentially "righting the ship" right now and will be able to spend $175+ Million
Exactly.

I think there's about 30 million in dead money or payroll going to players who are long gone. Not too long ago we were still paying freaking Alex Rodriguez. I think most of the dead money comes off the books as of next year tho.
Grapesoda2525
I can't believe Odor isn't in the lineup tonight. It used to be some kind of unwritten rule that he would be in the lineup everyday. His last offday wasn't too long ago.
gigem1223
DD in the 2 spot again tonight. Is Santana hurt or in the dog house?
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

I can't believe Odor isn't in the lineup tonight. It used to be some kind of unwritten rule that he would be in the lineup everyday. His last offday wasn't too long ago.
Forsythe (RHB) is batting .302 against LHP... Good to see Woody putting up a solid lineup.

Means (LHP) has a 2.80 ERA in 9 GS.

RH'ers are batting: .236
LH'ers are batting: .178. 51 PA has resulted in 15 SO. 8 Hits. 5 Walks.

Even I wouldn't put Odor in that lineup.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Forsythe (RHB) is batting .302 against LHP... Good to see Woody putting up a solid lineup.

Means (LHP) has a 2.80 ERA in 9 GS.

RH'ers are batting: .236
LH'ers are batting: .178. 51 PA has resulted in 15 SO. 8 Hits. 5 Walks.

Even I wouldn't put Odor in that lineup.
If he was trying to matchup or go full righty wouldn't it make sense to put Santana at 1st as well? Guzman isn't good against lefties at all.
DallasAg 94
KT 90 said:

txagman1998 said:

Quote:

Calhoun

Agree with this and have posted similar in the past. We could possibly approach him about an extension for 2020 if we are interested in that, but otherwise he needs to be flipped for younger prospects. I'd consider trading Mazara too, depending on the return. He's limited in the field, but is a good (but not great) hitter. Of course we could try to trade Choo, but we'd have to almost give him away due to the contract.
Two separate paths.

I was talking more about 2020. Mentioning Pence was about possibly signing him for 2020. With the success he is having, he might want to be here for the right price, regardless of how 2019 finishes. If we add him for 2020, it is one more OF/DH spot filled.

Regarding 2019... I think he needs to remain, if we continue to fight for the WC. I agree he could be a nice return if traded in 2019. If we don't continue to fight for a WC... he needs to go.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

If he was trying to matchup or go full righty wouldn't it make sense to put Santana at 1st as well? Guzman isn't good against lefties at all.
Hey, that's your hill to climb, not mine.

Having said that:
.160 Santana
.138 Guzman

I'm not sure I'd go with Santana over Guzman, purely based on the Defense.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Schall 02
AG
SP- Mike Minor gets paid.
Old Tom Morris
****ing Dave Raymond jinx. Save that stat for after, ********.
Carlo4
AG
Hanging slider ties it up 1-1 with the 9 hole hitting .160
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94 said:

Pedro Payano (24) scheduled to pitch for Nash, tomorrow. Was at Frisco (AA), has 1 GS @ AAA.

I think Palumbo may be the guy. Unless Miller is used.
Payano pitched tonight. Taylor Guerrieri opened for him (2.0 IP). At this time Payano is 1.0 IP into the game. I'm guessing he isn't pitching Saturday.
DallasAg 94
Schall 02 said:

SP- Mike Minor gets paid.
Next year he is already under contract. $9.8M.
94chem
Why is DD going feet first there?
DallasAg 94
Palumbo it appears...
Aggie_3
AccidentProne said:

That's the idea!

Only quoting to grab your attention here. Is it possible to order or get the bobble heads they are giving away this year? I have the Michael young bobble head but really want one of each of them this year
Carlo4
AG
lol at fans cheering for Odor pinch hitting
PatAg
AG
me swing for home run always
PatAg
AG
what a ****in clown
Carlo4
AG
There's one of my closest friends out there helping Choo with his hand!

Just announced him!

First year as a trainer on the Rangers. Hope Choo is OK!
txagman1998
AG
Quote:

I was talking more about 2020. Mentioning Pence was about possibly signing him for 2020. With the success he is having, he might want to be here for the right price, regardless of how 2019 finishes. If we add him for 2020, it is one more OF/DH spot filled.

Pence right now is the baseball definition of "Buy low, sell high". Granted, some GMs may attribute his numbers this year to playing in Texas. Nevertheless, we should be able to find a contending team to give up a decent package for a player with a hot bat on a team friendly contract.

The OF/DH at-bats need to go to Choo, Gallo, Calhoun, and Mazara when all 4 are healthy. Again, I like what Pence has done here. However, at 36 it is hard to commit to him long term. Once healthy, we need to find out what Calhoun can do in consistent playing time, given he is 24 and not eligible for free agency anytime soon.
DallasAg 94
HELLO WIN COLUMN!!!
Danny Vermin
Nice nice for Delino!!
Aggie_3
That'll do pig that'll do
txagman1998
AG
Double post...so, hello win column!
PatAg
AG
Danny Vermin said:

Nice nice for Delino!!
great at bat, smart hitting.
First Page Last Page
Page 52 of 136

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.