*****Offical Texas Rangers 2019 Season Thread*****

468,009 Views | 4725 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
Grapesoda2525
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DallasAg 94 said:

That was fun to watch.

On the radio broadcast during the 1st inning, they indicated Smyly wasn't a big fan of the Opener. After the 4 runs, they said he may find himself in a situation where the Rangers use an Opener.

I was thinking... maybe it would be better if we found another starter.

Rangers have a split-DH on Saturday, so they will need another SP on Saturday. Smyly is scheduled Sunday.

Unless we make a move on the 40-Man, we only have a few options:

Brock Burke (22-L) was at AA, hasn't pitched since April.
Kyle Bird (26-L) - RP.
Huang (25-R) - He was up earlier, and I think he is moving to RP.
Palumbo (24-L) - AA. Last pitched June 2.
Jonathan Hernandez (22-R) - AA. Too soon, IMO.
[url=http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=milb&player_id=595307#/career/R/pitching/2019/ALL][/url]
Seth Maness pitched for Nashville, yesterday. Not on 40. Rangers picked him up on May 2. 7GS, 4.24 @AAA

Wes Benjamin (25) went tonight for Nash. No way he's coming up. Not on 40.

Pedro Payano (24) scheduled to pitch for Nash, tomorrow. Was at Frisco (AA), has 1 GS @ AAA.

I think Palumbo may be the guy. Unless Miller is used.
I wish we could trade for a mediocre starter who could give us 5 or 6 innings while giving up 3,4, or even 5 runs.
We would still win a lot of games if we had that with our lineup. I don't think that type of guy would be too expensive prospect wise.
DallasAg 94
AccidentProne said:

gigem1223 said:

DD always coming up small in big spots. Not a big leaguer!
This. As soon as Calhoun is back, I'd guess we'll never hear from DD again
Andrew McCutchin is out for the season with a torn ACL.
Herrera is dealing with a suspension for domestic issue.

They picked up Jay Bruce, but not sure they have a CF. Herrera was their CF, McCutch took it, and now he is out.

Kingery is a converted SS, he has the most GS after those two (9).
Altherr is a RF, next in GS (8)
Quinn has 7, but is out with a Grade 2 groin strain.

Not sure DD would be a low-cost option, under the "change of scenery" plan... or we find someone else to offer.

For them, it has to be as much about Defense...
gigem1223
This franchise is not in a position to be trading prospects for meh pitchers. Would much rather see Palumbo. It's about time for his call up anyways.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

I wish we could trade for a mediocre starter who could give us 5 or 6 innings while giving up 3,4, or even 5 runs.
We would still win a lot of games if we had that with our lineup. I don't think that type of guy would be too expensive prospect wise.
We could sign Keuchel. He wouldn't cost us prospects. We could also sign Shields.

Surely Shields could get us 4 IP with less than 4 ERs.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

We could sign Keuchel. He wouldn't cost us prospects. We could also sign Shields.

I'd rather see both of those guys then drew smyly.
DallasAg 94
gigem1223 said:

This franchise is not in a position to be trading prospects for meh pitchers. Would much rather see Palumbo. It's about time for his call up anyways.
I don't know his mental state, but he is my guess to get the GS. He'll have a couple extra days of rest, and you can pull him to the Ballpark for tomorrow and let him acclimate the nerves.
gigem1223
DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Say you do sign Keuchel (makes me want to puke saying that), how long does he take to get his arm/ body ready to pitch?
DallasAg 94
gigem1223 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Say you do sign Keuchel (makes me want to puke saying that), how long does he take to get his arm/ body ready to pitch?
I posted about that, yesterday (or Sunday).

Depends on whom you believe.

If you believe his agent (Boras), "he will be ready in a week, or so." If you believe any of the comments by former pitchers and commentators, general expectation is 2 to 3 weeks. Getting ready is part of it, game-situation ready, is a little more.

If we signed him and were desperate enough to pitch him Saturday, it might not be worse than Smyly/Miller, but I wouldn't have much expectation.

I thought he'd be signed by now. The longer it goes, the more you have to wonder. There is a ton of need. Is everyone just waiting to see how the season develops, or is Boras asking too much?
Jimtim1216
S
DallasAg 94 said:

That was fun to watch.

On the radio broadcast during the 1st inning, they indicated Smyly wasn't a big fan of the Opener. After the 4 runs, they said he may find himself in a situation where the Rangers use an Opener.

I was thinking... maybe it would be better if we found another starter.

Rangers have a split-DH on Saturday, so they will need another SP on Saturday. Smyly is scheduled Sunday.

Unless we make a move on the 40-Man, we only have a few options:

Brock Burke (22-L) was at AA, hasn't pitched since April.
Kyle Bird (26-L) - RP.
Huang (25-R) - He was up earlier, and I think he is moving to RP.
Palumbo (24-L) - AA. Last pitched June 2.
Jonathan Hernandez (22-R) - AA. Too soon, IMO.
[url=http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=milb&player_id=595307#/career/R/pitching/2019/ALL][/url]
Seth Maness pitched for Nashville, yesterday. Not on 40. Rangers picked him up on May 2. 7GS, 4.24 @AAA

Wes Benjamin (25) went tonight for Nash. No way he's coming up. Not on 40.

Pedro Payano (24) scheduled to pitch for Nash, tomorrow. Was at Frisco (AA), has 1 GS @ AAA.

I think Palumbo may be the guy. Unless Miller is used.
Would love it if it was Palumbo. I'm excited to see this kid get a shot. He might not be 100% ready yet, but I would much rather watch him go through growing pains than have to watch Smyly pitch again, opener or not.
AggieDPT
AG
Smyly doesn't need to start another game this year
KT 90
AG
Quote:

I thought he'd be signed by now. The longer it goes, the more you have to wonder. There is a ton of need. Is everyone just waiting to see how the season develops, or is Boras asking too much?

I'm sure Boras is doing his thing, but of course that is what he is there for. Supposedly the Braves and Yankees are the front runners for Keuchel. I don't think he's interested in playing for Texas, Yankees and Braves are in a better position for a playoff run. Unless somebody throws him a 2 or 3 year deal, he'll take a deal with a legit playoff contender. But at this point, he will likely have to prove himself again to get a 2 to 3 year deal or longer. The metrics where what was working against him in the first place I believe, so I don't see that happening. Believe one of his biggest issues is that he/Boris are wanting to be paid based on past performance, not what the metrics are saying he's worth in the future based upon current age and future expected performance.

KT 90
AG

Quote:

[url=https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/06/drew-smyly-struggling-in-return-from-tommy-john-surgery.html][/url]Rangers' Drew Smyly struggling in return from Tommy John surgery
[url=https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/06/drew-smyly-struggling-in-return-from-tommy-john-surgery.html][/url]
Originally posted on MLB Trade Rumors | By Connor Byrne | Last updated 6/5/19

After back-to-back injury-wrecked seasons in Seattle and Chicago, left-hander Drew Smyly joined the Rangers via trade with the Cubs last November. The transaction all but completed the teams' midsummer deal centering on southpaw Cole Hamels, and it was a bit of an eye-opener that the Cubs parted with Smyly. The 29-year-old has been a more-than-capable big leaguer for most of his career, after all, but the Cubs who wanted to cut unnecessary payroll deemed him and his $7M salary expendable.

Smyly never threw a pitch for Chicago after it signed him to a two-year, $10M guarantee in December 2017. The Cubs' hope at the time was Smyly would eventually recover from the Tommy John surgery he underwent as a member of the Mariners in June 2017 and return to his past form. The Rangers had the same hope when they acquired Smyly, but the union between the two sides hasn't worked out to this point, as Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News explains.

In his most recent start of the year, Smyly turned in 3 1/3 innings of seven-earned run, eight-hit ball and allowed three homers in a loss to the lowly Orioles on Tuesday. Smyly has now taken the ball 10 times (eight starts) with Texas, and most of his outings have been middling to poor. He's now running a 7.93 ERA/7.35 FIP with 8.79 K/9, 6.21 BB/9, a 27.3 percent groundball rate and a 20.3 percent home run-to-fly ball rate in 42 innings. Those numbers are a far cry from the production Smyly registered with the Tigers and Rays from 2014-16, a 77-start, 388-inning span in which he managed a 4.01 ERA/4.16 FIP with 8.58 K/9 and 2.55 BB/9. Smyly didn't generate many grounders then, as shown by his 34 percent rate, but he helped limit homers (11.9 HR/FB%) with the majors' leading infield fly percentage (15.3). He's down to 7.1 percent in that category this season.

Even though there hasn't been a change in Smyly's velocity from 2016 to this year, it's clear nothing is working in his return from TJ surgery. And with the Rangers surprisingly sitting at 30-28 and in a tie for the American League's second Wild Card spot, they may have to bounce Smyly out of their rotation to make a Cinderella run. However, that's not going to happen yet, manager Chris Woodward said after Smyly's start Tuesday (via Jeff Wilson of the Star-Telegram). Woodward has shown a willingness to make such a move, having shifted Shelby Miller another offseason addition with a notable injury history to the Rangers' relief unit last month. It's a small sample, but Miller has logged much better results as a reliever than a starter this season.

The Rangers' reluctance to pull the plug on the Smyly experiment stems from a lack of alternatives, suggests Grant, who names only Double-A starters Joe Palumbo and Jonathan Hernandez as realistic in-house replacements. Palumbo, a 24-year-old lefty whom MLB.com considers the Rangers' seventh-best prospect, has produced good results this season. Hernandez has a 5.47 ERA in Triple-A, on the other hand, but the 22-year-old has racked up a solid amount of strikeouts and grounders. At No. 8, Hernandez falls right behind Palumbo on MLB.com's list of Rangers prospects. Nevertheless, the team doesn't seem inclined to rush either to the majors, even as it clings to a playoff spot.

In the event Texas stays in the race over the next month and a half but still doesn't find an inside replacement for Smyly, it could consider the trade market. General manager Jon Daniels has made it known the Rangers will be aggressive spenders heading into a new ballpark next season, so it could make sense to acquire a starter who's under control past this year. In doing so, the Rangers would ideally better their playoff odds this season while strengthening their roster for 2020. Blue Jays righties Marcus Stroman and Aaron Sanchez spring to mind as controllable upgrades who could be on the move in the coming weeks. Detroit lefty Matt Boyd would require a lot more than Stroman or Sanchez in return if the Tigers were to move him, but he's someone who'd be worth inquiring about from the Rangers' perspective.

For now, the Rangers will continue with the rotation they have. It's not the most confidence-inspiring group, but there have been bright spots. Two of Daniels' reasonably priced free-agent pickups, Mike Minor (two offseasons ago) and Lance Lynn (last winter), have lived up to their contracts. Ariel Jurado has pitched well, albeit over just three starts, and Adrian Sampson has been effective of late. But the Rangers' starting five is difficult to trust after Minor and Lynn, especially because of Smyly's struggles, and the unit's shakiness will make it tough for the team to snap its two-year playoff drought this season.

KT 90
AG

Quote:

[url=https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/06/rangers-gm-jon-daniels-on-spending-outlook.html][/url]Rangers GM Jon Daniels weighs in on team's spending outlook
[url=https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/06/rangers-gm-jon-daniels-on-spending-outlook.html][/url]
Originally posted on MLB Trade Rumors | By Jeff Todd | Last updated 6/4/19

It's really not yet time for the Rangers to look to the coming offseason; after a surprisingly solid start to the season, they're still in position to compete for a wild-card spot. But the coming free agent market was a topic of conversation in a recent interview with Rangers GM Jon Daniels on 105.3 The Fan's Ben and Skin show (audio and transcript via the Dallas Morning News).

Even as he preps for a potentially interesting summer trade market, Daniels says that he anticipates entering next winter with "a lot more [payroll] flexibility the next two years than we've had the last couple, the last, probably three or four." That said, the long-time top baseball ops exec said that the club's spending is "going to be player-specific" in that the club will be "ready to make [an] investment" in "the right guy" but won't "spend just to say we spent."

The Rangers have made moves of that sort already in recent years, giving out three-year deals to Mike Minor and Lance Lynn. But Daniels obviously sees some stepped-up possibilities for the near future as the organization has continued to steadily draw down its payroll commitments.

Reading between the lines and adding a dollop of speculation, it seems that the Texas club could be more aggressive in exploring higher-grade free agents. Perhaps the near-term spending availability will also expand the team's trade possibilities this summer. There's some room to spend with only $85M or so on the books for 2020 (including the remaining money owed to Prince Fielder after the portions picked up by the Tigers and the contract insurer). And as Daniels acknowledges, "the new ballpark will play into it." The club will surely want to maximize that revenue stream with a competitive product.
That said, it's far too soon to address the potential needs and opportunities in detail. The needs on the fringes of the roster are all but impossible to know at this point, and indeed there are still some notable variables even in the nascent Texas roster core.

Daniels notes that future investment is premised upon the idea that the organization has "a good foundation" in place at present. "There's some really good quality players that are going to be here for several years and we'll have an opportunity to build on that," Daniels says.
The Rangers GM obviously believes the club has the makings of a productive core unit, but the rotation still comes with rather gaping near- and long-term questions. And some key position players are still sorting through some issues.

Outfielder Nomar Mazara has yet to turn in a breakout, though he's at least still producing at a roughly league-average at the plate. Second baseman Rougned Odorhas been a mess at the plate; he's still just 25 years of age, but his roller-coaster MLB track record is of increasing worry.

Daniels says there's "still patience" with Odor, citing the recent comments of skipper Chris Woodward and noting that he's still a hard-working and highly talented ballplayer. But Daniels also acknowledged that "there is a level of concern," particularly given that "this is not the first time it has happened." Indeed, Odor has had notable peaks and valleys throughout his career. He managed to post league-average offensive work last year, but that included a brutal start and finish. It also came on the heels of a rough 2017 showing.

Odor is off to a .166/.232/.331 slash to open the present campaign. He's sustaining a walk-rate boost he showed last year, but suddenly has a whopping new swing-and-miss issue. Odor is striking out at a 33.7% clip on a 13.6% swinging-strike rate, both of which represent career-worst levels.

Whether and how Odor's issues will be sorted remains to be seen, but Daniels notes it'd be preferable not "to make a habit of kind of getting into these deep holes and having to put a program together to get out of it." The club must have "a sense of urgency" in getting Odor on track, Daniels says. Even if that occurs, one wonders whether the team can have confidence that the second bagger won't fall into another funk.

DallasAg 94
AggieDPT said:

Smyly doesn't need to start another game this year
I agree, he doesn't need another start, but he will get one. It may not be an actual GS... it might be they use an Opener. With a DH on Sat and a game on Sunday, I don't think the Rangers will have much choice but to keep him another week.

That will likely cause them to shuffle RPs, as well. Sampson is scheduled Saturday, as well, so by Monday, you could have nothing in the BP.

Some other options might be the released heap. Not sure who is available there.
Grapesoda2525
Dallasag is right. Smyly will get another start. Now is not the time to pull the plug on one because we're entering a stretch of 21 games over 20 days.

I want to see smyly jettisoned ASAP tho, but I guess it's not the right time. I hope we can stay in contention for a WC with this guy dragging our bullpen through the mud. It will be a tough task, especially with tougher teams coming up.
DallasAg 94
KT 90 said:

Quote:

[url=https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/06/drew-smyly-struggling-in-return-from-tommy-john-surgery.html][/url]Rangers' Drew Smyly struggling in return from Tommy John surgery
[url=https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/06/drew-smyly-struggling-in-return-from-tommy-john-surgery.html][/url]

After back-to-back injury-wrecked seasons in Seattle and Chicago, left-hander Drew Smyly joined the Rangers via trade with the Cubs last November. The transaction all but completed the teams' midsummer deal centering on southpaw Cole Hamels, and it was a bit of an eye-opener that the Cubs parted with Smyly. The 29-year-old has been a more-than-capable big leaguer for most of his career, after all, but the Cubs who wanted to cut unnecessary payroll deemed him and his $7M salary expendable.

Smyly never threw a pitch for Chicago after it signed him to a two-year, $10M guarantee in December 2017. The Cubs' hope at the time was Smyly would eventually recover from the Tommy John surgery he underwent as a member of the Mariners in June 2017 and return to his past form. The Rangers had the same hope when they acquired Smyly, but the union between the two sides hasn't worked out to this point, as Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News explains.

In his most recent start of the year, Smyly turned in 3 1/3 innings of seven-earned run, eight-hit ball and allowed three homers in a loss to the lowly Orioles on Tuesday. Smyly has now taken the ball 10 times (eight starts) with Texas, and most of his outings have been middling to poor. He's now running a 7.93 ERA/7.35 FIP with 8.79 K/9, 6.21 BB/9, a 27.3 percent groundball rate and a 20.3 percent home run-to-fly ball rate in 42 innings. Those numbers are a far cry from the production Smyly registered with the Tigers and Rays from 2014-16, a 77-start, 388-inning span in which he managed a 4.01 ERA/4.16 FIP with 8.58 K/9 and 2.55 BB/9. Smyly didn't generate many grounders then, as shown by his 34 percent rate, but he helped limit homers (11.9 HR/FB%) with the majors' leading infield fly percentage (15.3). He's down to 7.1 percent in that category this season.

Even though there hasn't been a change in Smyly's velocity from 2016 to this year, it's clear nothing is working in his return from TJ surgery. And with the Rangers surprisingly sitting at 30-28 and in a tie for the American League's second Wild Card spot, they may have to bounce Smyly out of their rotation to make a Cinderella run. However, that's not going to happen yet, manager Chris Woodward said after Smyly's start Tuesday (via Jeff Wilson of the Star-Telegram). Woodward has shown a willingness to make such a move, having shifted Shelby Miller another offseason addition with a notable injury history to the Rangers' relief unit last month. It's a small sample, but Miller has logged much better results as a reliever than a starter this season.

The Rangers' reluctance to pull the plug on the Smyly experiment stems from a lack of alternatives, suggests Grant, who names only Double-A starters Joe Palumbo and Jonathan Hernandez as realistic in-house replacements. Palumbo, a 24-year-old lefty whom MLB.com considers the Rangers' seventh-best prospect, has produced good results this season. Hernandez has a 5.47 ERA in Triple-A, on the other hand, but the 22-year-old has racked up a solid amount of strikeouts and grounders. At No. 8, Hernandez falls right behind Palumbo on MLB.com's list of Rangers prospects. Nevertheless, the team doesn't seem inclined to rush either to the majors, even as it clings to a playoff spot.

In the event Texas stays in the race over the next month and a half but still doesn't find an inside replacement for Smyly, it could consider the trade market. General manager Jon Daniels has made it known the Rangers will be aggressive spenders heading into a new ballpark next season, so it could make sense to acquire a starter who's under control past this year. In doing so, the Rangers would ideally better their playoff odds this season while strengthening their roster for 2020. Blue Jays righties Marcus Stroman and Aaron Sanchez spring to mind as controllable upgrades who could be on the move in the coming weeks. Detroit lefty Matt Boyd would require a lot more than Stroman or Sanchez in return if the Tigers were to move him, but he's someone who'd be worth inquiring about from the Rangers' perspective.

For now, the Rangers will continue with the rotation they have. It's not the most confidence-inspiring group, but there have been bright spots. Two of Daniels' reasonably priced free-agent pickups, Mike Minor (two offseasons ago) and Lance Lynn (last winter), have lived up to their contracts. Ariel Jurado has pitched well, albeit over just three starts, and Adrian Sampson has been effective of late. But the Rangers' starting five is difficult to trust after Minor and Lynn, especially because of Smyly's struggles, and the unit's shakiness will make it tough for the team to snap its two-year playoff drought this season.

Some comments about the article. Hernandez' 5.47 is at AA, not AAA. Which is why I mentioned he wasn't ready. He is about to turn 23, and I think you run the risk of setting him back. Both he and Palumbo are on the 40.

Joe Palumbo (24) is the another option, but he isn't on the 40. I think the Rangers should go with Payano (24) for Saturday... Smyly on Sunday, with an opener. If Smyly struggles again, release him and put Payano on the 40 and call him up.

We've discussed Stroman and Sanchez, but I don't think we've talked Matthew Boyd. All 3 are attractive options, but would decimate our prospects. I know we have a number of RuleV guys that we'll have to decide about, after the season. I mentioned some of them during the previous Stroman. If we can package a bunch of those guys, it might lessen the impact.

Mazara is up to .272, 8HRs. Choo is .302, 11 HRs (1 more year). Calhoun.

If you include Calhoun, he is a hot prospect that is kinda blocked.

Woody has said nobody works harder than Choo. He seems a real fan.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

KT 90 said:

Quote:

Some comments about the article. Hernandez' 5.47 is at AA, not AAA. Which is why I mentioned he wasn't ready. He is about to turn 23, and I think you run the risk of setting him back. Both he and Palumbo are on the 40.

Joe Palumbo (24) is the another option, but he isn't on the 40. I think the Rangers should go with Payano (24) for Saturday... Smyly on Sunday, with an opener. If Smyly struggles again, release him and put Payano on the 40 and call him up.

We've discussed Stroman and Sanchez, but I don't think we've talked Matthew Boyd. All 3 are attractive options, but would decimate our prospects. I know we have a number of RuleV guys that we'll have to decide about, after the season. I mentioned some of them during the previous Stroman. If we can package a bunch of those guys, it might lessen the impact.

After seeing Calhoun's bat at the major league level, I think we would be idiotic to trade him.
94chem
Unless you see this team getting to 90 wins, should not be buying this season unless it's a Hamels-type situation. Let's not pretend the Red Sox are gonna take the 2nd wild card at 84-78 if we don't make a move. Sure, it's not impossible, but it's highly unlikely.
KT 90
AG
Like the article that I posted above mentioned, IF we make any trades for pitching, it needs to be for someone who is under contract/controllable for the next 2-3+ years. No rentals to make a run for a WC. If we can sign a Shields or someone off the scrap heap that doesn't cost prospects, then fine, go for it.

With the upcoming stretch of games with no days off, somebody will need to be brought in. Our bullpen won't survive otherwise. Maybe we just run a shuttle between Arlington and Nashville for a few guys. But I don't want to start rushing up the AA prospects when they aren't ready. Anybody have Bartolo's number? He would at least give us 5 innings pretty consistently.

KT 90
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

KT 90 said:

Quote:

After seeing Calhoun's bat at the major league level, I think we would be idiotic to trade him.

They did start working Calhoun some at 2B some in Nashville before he was called up. And if you read JD's comments in the article above, sounds like he is getting frustrated at the 2B situation with all the peaks and valleys. Maybe Calhoun gets a little time at 2B, at least occasionally. And what is the timeframe on Calhouns return anyway? Haven't seen that reported lately.

jtstanley4621
AG
I wonder what Calhoun's mental state is in terms of the Rangers as a whole. Feels like he keeps getting teased with MLB playing time, then sent back down. I really do think that he can blossom into a good player, he just needs the ABs up here. It's unfortunate that things are the way they are where there's not really a place for him, and I hope he doesn't come to resent the Rangers for that.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

I don't disagree, in a general sense...but how you maximize resources and talent?

Choo: .302, 11 HR, .386 OBP, and 1 more year on his contract
Mazara: .272, 8 HR, .329 OBP.
Gallo isn't going anywhere.

Pence has this year. .295, 11 HR
Santana can play CF. Controlled through 2021, as an Arb
Calhoun

I'd be fine sending Mazara off... or someone. Pence might be willing to add another year.

Who knows... just think we've got an asset to sell there, somewhere.
Grapesoda2525
KT 90 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

KT 90 said:

Quote:

They did start working Calhoun some at 2B some in Nashville before he was called up. And if you read JD's comments in the article above, sounds like he is getting frustrated at the 2B situation with all the peaks and valleys. Maybe Calhoun gets a little time at 2B, at least occasionally. And what is the timeframe on Calhouns return anyway? Haven't seen that reported lately.

JD or someone in that front office really seems to like our current second baseman in the face of terrible numbers lately at the position. I'm very skeptical that they will make a change there.

Calhoun probably doesn't play very good defense at the position. His glove is a liability almost anywhere really.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

I don't disagree, in a general sense...but how you maximize resources and talent?

Choo: .302, 11 HR, .386 OBP, and 1 more year on his contract
Mazara: .272, 8 HR, .329 OBP.
Gallo isn't going anywhere.

Pence has this year. .295, 11 HR
Santana can play CF. Controlled through 2021, as an Arb
Calhoun

I'd be fine sending Mazara off... or someone. Pence might be willing to add another year.

Who knows... just think we've got an asset to sell there, somewhere.
Calhoun isn't the guy you get rid of out of that bunch. He could be an over .300 hitter with power numbers, and the guy almost never strikes out.
DallasAg 94
KT 90 said:

Mid-June, AFAIK, on the Calhoun return. That was the latest I've seen.
Mr Gigem
AG
I had a meeting on Monday with one of the owners, and he mentioned that our payroll in 2020 will be greater than $175 million

For reference, I believe it is about $140 million currently
wbt5845
AG
AccidentProne said:

I had a meeting on Monday with one of the owners, and he mentioned that our payroll in 2020 will be greater than $175 million

It should be. Cash flow from the new stadium will help a lot.
KT 90
AG
AccidentProne said:

This is good to hear. With the new and increased revenues flowing, there is no reason not to increase the payroll. Smartly of course

Mr Gigem
AG
There will also be a a lot of new development going on around the stadium that the Rangers will have their hand in, and that will also I crease revenues
KT 90
AG
AccidentProne said:

There will also be a a lot of new development going on around the stadium that the Rangers will have their hand in, and that will also I crease revenues

So you're saying the payroll should be in the Yankees/Dodgers range then? Sweet!

Mr Gigem
AG
That's the idea!
DallasAg 94
AccidentProne said:

Cots has it at $119M. 19th in MLB.

But, we were at $165M in 2017. $158M in 2016.

So, did the FO spend excessively in '16 & '17 to trick the voters into a new stadium... or did they drop down to $118M to trick voters into thinking the new stadium raised the payroll upto $175M?

2016: $158M
2017: $165M

2020: $175M

Seems like a modest increase $10M over 3 years.

$175M, in 2019, would be 6th.

DFW is considered the 5th largest TV market.

In terms of adding players, we need: SP, CF, 3B, RP, RP.
Minor, Lynn, Jurado, Sampson for 2020 rotation?

I don't see JD spending over $20M/yr for 5-6 years to sign a FA SP.

I think if we are in the $155-160M range, I will be fantastically shocked.

We have $85M committed to:
IF: Odor (2B), Andrus (SS), Mathis (C)
OF: Choo (OF)
P: Minor, Lynn, Chavez, Leclerc, Kelley (Opt)
Fielder

Arbs: Mazara (OF), Gallo (OF), DD (OF) <-? What, About $15-20M total?
Serfs: Guzman (1B), IKF (C), Calhoun (DH), Santana (2B/CF), Jurado (SP), Sampson (SP) = $3.6M

Projects to $110M ($85M+$20M+$4M)

$20M SP
$10M 3B
$5M RP
-------------
$35M

Gives me about $145M
DallasAg 94
AccidentProne said:

You are assuming that.

I'm not so sure. The payroll should already be in the $150M+ range, based on revenue. The new stadium should put us in the $170M+ range.

The point of building up the farm system is to promote internally, cheaply. Which JD is focused on.

Gallo and Mazara are both Arbs next year. They are likely the most costly players for next year.

The excuse this off-season will be that we just couldn't afford to over-pay for what limited players were available. And that will likely be a legit excuse.
Mr Gigem
AG
What am I assuming? My first hand knowledge the Rangers own 50% of Texas Live, 25% of Live by Loews hotel, that they are purchasing the Sheraton hotel, that they will have ownership in the new hotel going up in Lot J, or they will have ownership in the Baylor Scott & White facility opening up in the old Lot F near I-30?
Mr Gigem
AG
Neil Leibman literally said the payroll with be north of $175 million
First Page Last Page
Page 51 of 136

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.