*****Offical Texas Rangers 2019 Season Thread*****

468,082 Views | 4725 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
bigcat22
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
chick79 said:

Odor is just awful. Also anyone see his pants today? What a freakin' tool.

Yeah who does he think he is, Hunter Pence?
bigcat22
AG
Baseball Gods
Alvarado Times said:

chick79 said:

you do know its against the rules to criticize Odor right???? You will be flogged by the baseball gods of Texags!!!!
DallasAg 94
Keuchel and Kimbrel are Free'd.

A's lost.
BoSox won.

KT 90
AG
bigcat22 said:

chick79 said:

Yeah who does he think he is, Hunter Pence?

Didn't get to see the game tonight, but ran across this pic:

wbt5845
AG
You always wanna be careful about reading too much into a handful of starts, but....

If Jurado and Sampson come out of this season as legitimate MLB starting pitchers, that's a big damn win.
Grapesoda2525
wbt5845 said:

You always wanna be careful about reading too much into a handful of starts, but....

If Jurado and Sampson come out of this season as legitimate MLB starting pitchers, that's a big damn win.
I'm very intrigued to see how those guys do against our "tougher" opponents before the all star break. Look for their likely starts against Oakland and Boston as a good barometer. The A's and Red Sox are both wild card worthy teams at least and could both go on a hot streak in the second half. Both of those series are 4 games as well so like I said, Jurado and Sampson will most likely get a start.
AgBQ-00
AG
All I know is this years team has been way more entertaining than I hoped before the year. If they can keep going at this clip and play some meaningful games later in the season I will consider it a success. Really liking Woodward too. Looking forward to seeing what he can do going forward
You do not have a soul. You are a soul that has a body.

We sing Hallelujah! The Lamb has overcome!
Grapesoda2525
AgBQ-00 said:

All I know is this years team has been way more entertaining than I hoped before the year. If they can keep going at this clip and play some meaningful games later in the season I will consider it a success. Really liking Woodward too. Looking forward to seeing what he can do going forward
The coaching deserves a lot of praise. Woodward is 10 times better than Banny no doubt. Pretty much any other pitching coach in the league would've been a massive upgrade over Brocail. I really like the hitting coach and what he's done with the lineup. I hope he doesn't have aspirations of becoming a manager. I still remember how much it sucked when the Pirates poached Clint hurdle. Our offense was anemic several years after he left. It really seemed to hurt.
DallasAg 94
AgBQ-00 said:

I like him, as well.

After the game, he was asked if he would use an Opener for Sampson his next time out. Here is the interview:

Woody is very engaged and descriptive in what he says. You feel like you learn not only the technical, but how the player applies the craft. He truly relates to the players and builds credibility with them.

With Brocail, when he spoke, you felt you learned something baseball related, but nothing really about the game or player. It was very stale and mechanical. It was about what he knew.

With Woody, it seems to be about what they are doing and how they impact or benefit the player's performance.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

wbt5845 said:

I'm very intrigued to see how those guys do against our "tougher" opponents before the all star break. Look for their likely starts against Oakland and Boston as a good barometer. The A's and Red Sox are both wild card worthy teams at least and could both go on a hot streak in the second half. Both of those series are 4 games as well so like I said, Jurado and Sampson will most likely get a start.
I agree.

I think the concern for both, are the typical... 3rd time through the lineup. You've got 18 outs, or 6.0 IP, in a minimum batter faced scenario. Every H and W means you cut into the 5.0 IP Minimum. The less you give up, the fewer batters you face to get 6.0 IP.

Here is the interesting thing about Sampson. I'll start with him, before getting to Jurado. Last year was the 1st I saw of Sampson, so I haven't really followed him.

Regarding times through the lineup. Only 6 of his 13 appearances are GS, so I'm not sure how meaningful this is:
1st PA: .308 BA
2nd PA: .417 BA
3rd PA: .308 BA
Small sample size, bouncing between rotation and BP...

Sampson's last 4 appearances

StL: 5.1 IP, 7 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO; BF: 24
Sea: 5.1 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 5 SO; BF: 19
Sea: 5.0 IP, 8 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 6 SO; BF: 24
KCR: 7.0 IP, 8 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 11 SO; BF: 28 <- GS
BF: Batters Faced

Not the best competition, but they are ML teams. He got fully 3 times through the lineup against KCR.

The game against the A's will be a home game... the early game of a split-DH. Smyly pitches the backend, so we'll see how that goes. Boston is on the road.
DallasAg 94
I fully expected Keuchel and Kimbrel to be signed by now.

Is Boras playing for too much? Last week he indicated Keuchel would be ready to pitch in a game within a week. That was a signal to me, that the interest was more modest than Boras wanted. More kicking the tires and a wait and see by GMs. When MInn and TB are the most talked about teams, IMO, you might have a problem.

Most commentators (pitchers who have played) indicated it is likely 2-3 weeks after he signs. That would be up to 4 more GS missed. Most teams are at about 57-58 GP... so, that is missed 11-12 GS.

He likely enters the roster with about 87 games remaining. He'll get 17 GS. The 1st couple likely are a little rusty. The hitters will be well into their routine, and he'll just be starting (pardon the pun).

YES, Keuchel will help any rotation. But how much and what is it worth?

Minn: $119M Can they afford? Do they need?
Hou: Doubt he'd return, nor is he a need
NYY: $204M. Definitely needed
TB: $60M Needed?
Rangers: $118M Definitely need.
BoSox - $236M. Need, but Luxury Tax
Oak: Too poor
-----------------Fringe:
CHW: $89M.
Cle: $119M
LAA: $159M Too many holes

Is he a possible NL guy? Will anyone compete with the LAD?

Now, as sure as I post this... he signs.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

I fully expected Keuchel and Kimbrel to be signed by now.

Is Boras playing for too much? Last week he indicated Keuchel would be ready to pitch in a game within a week. That was a signal to me, that the interest was more modest than Boras wanted. More kicking the tires and a wait and see by GMs. When MInn and TB are the most talked about teams, IMO, you might have a problem.

Most commentators (pitchers who have played) indicated it is likely 2-3 weeks after he signs. That would be up to 4 more GS missed. Most teams are at about 57-58 GP... so, that is missed 11-12 GS.

He likely enters the roster with about 87 games remaining. He'll get 17 GS. The 1st couple likely are a little rusty. The hitters will be well into their routine, and he'll just be starting (pardon the pun).

YES, Keuchel will help any rotation. But how much and what is it worth?

Minn: $119M Can they afford? Do they need?
Hou: Doubt he'd return, nor is he a need
NYY: $204M. Definitely needed
TB: $60M Needed?
Rangers: $118M Definitely need.
BoSox - $236M. Need, but Luxury Tax
Oak: Too poor
-----------------Fringe:
CHW: $89M.
Cle: $119M
LAA: $159M Too many holes

Is he a possible NL guy? Will anyone compete with the LAD?

Now, as sure as I post this... he signs.
White Sox, Twinkies, or TB seem like the most likely destinations for Keuchel. The White Sox have a really good pitcher in giolito and nobody else. They might be entertaining a run at the wildcard.

Kimbrel could go almost anywhere because most bullpens have been dumpster fires throughout MLB.
Carlo4
AG
23/2 K/BB ratio last four games
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

White Sox, Twinkies, or TB seem like the most likely destinations for Keuchel. The White Sox have a really good pitcher in giolito and nobody else. They might be entertaining a run at the wildcard.

Kimbrel could go almost anywhere because most bullpens have been dumpster fires throughout MLB.
If those are the 3 most likely destinations... it makes you wonder how much of a "wait and see" Keuchel could be.

Twins have some productive SPs. Will Perez bounce back after his meltdown? That has always been his issue.
Tampa seems to have the least need.

Both have limited resources. Would they sign a multi-year deal?

CWS really have only 1 SP and could fade quickly. Their only hope is the last WC spot.

Maybe Keuchel gets a 1yr deal with guarantee no QO.
Carlo4
AG
Twins pushing to sign both pitchers.
DallasAg 94
PDEMDHC said:

The Twins as a destination for both is interesting. They may need to shoot-the-moon and go all-in, this year.

They have 5 guys that are FAs after 2019.
Odorizzi (SP-29-$9.5M) - 12 GS, 1.96 ERA
Gibson (SP-31-$8.1M) - 11 GS, 3.75 ERA
Pineda (SP-30-$8.0M) - 11 GS, 5.34 ERA

Castro (C-$8.0M)
Schoop (2B-$7.5M)

Other 2 SP:
Martin Perez (SP-28) is a Club Option. 9GS, 3.71 ERA
Berrios (SP-25) is an Arb1. 12 GS, 3.27.

Nelson Cruz is an Option.

Kepler and Cron are signed
Rosario and Buxton are A2

At best, they currently have 2 proven SPs for 2020... assuming Perez holds. If they sign Keuchel to a modest 2019 salary and inflate 2020+, they could have minimal impact for 2019's cost and recover that payroll, losing players. They have $20M committed to signed players in 2020 (not including Arbs and Serfs).

If you are Keuchel, do you want to sign a long-term deal with Minnesota? Doubtful. You likely get traded in a season the Twins don't compete. You won't sign a short-term low-cost contract, unless you just want a chance to win a WS.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

PDEMDHC said:

The Twins as a destination for both is interesting. They may need to shoot-the-moon and go all-in, this year.

They have 5 guys that are FAs after 2019.
Odorizzi (SP-29-$9.5M) - 12 GS, 1.96 ERA
Gibson (SP-31-$8.1M) - 11 GS, 3.75 ERA
Pineda (SP-30-$8.0M) - 11 GS, 5.34 ERA

Castro (C-$8.0M)
Schoop (2B-$7.5M)

Other 2 SP:
Martin Perez (SP-28) is a Club Option. 9GS, 3.71 ERA
Berrios (SP-25) is an Arb1. 12 GS, 3.27.

Nelson Cruz is an Option.

Kepler and Cron are signed
Rosario and Buxton are A2

At best, they currently have 2 proven SPs for 2020... assuming Perez holds. If they sign Keuchel to a modest 2019 salary and inflate 2020+, they could have minimal impact for 2019's cost and recover that payroll, losing players. They have $20M committed to signed players in 2020 (not including Arbs and Serfs).

If you are Keuchel, do you want to sign a long-term deal with Minnesota? Doubtful. You likely get traded in a season the Twins don't compete. You won't sign a short-term low-cost contract, unless you just want a chance to win a WS.
I'd be pulling for the Twinkies against the Astros and probably against the field too, assuming we don't get a wild card or something.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

I'd be pulling for the Twinkies against the Astros and probably against the field too, assuming we don't get a wild card or something.
Twinkies or AL East would be fine by me.

Unless Houston melts down, it will be tough to catch them.

Cle & CHW will likely fade on their own. Going to ALEast keeps the 3 teams close, presumably benefiting the Rangers.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Cle & CHW will likely fade on their own. Going to ALEast keeps the 3 teams close, presumably benefiting the Rangers.
Are you talking long term?

I was wondering when the moment would come where the Astros can't pay everyone and they lose some of those guys.

DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Are you talking long term?

I was wondering when the moment would come where the Astros can't pay everyone and they lose some of those guys.
Talking strictly this season.

Astros are at $158M, for 2019.
DallasAg 94
Josh Jung - 3B
CampingAg
AG
Jung! I like it.
AggieDPT
AG
I live in Lubbock, and I've been to several games to watch him. He hits the ball extremely well, and he switched over to SS from 3B towards the end of the season. Excited about this
PatAg
AG
Is it bad to swing after the ball is already past you? Asking for a friend
gigem1223
Maybe I'm just forgetting someone recent but when is the last time the rangers picked a college positional player in the first round? Was hoping they'd go college since they're more mlb ready.

Love the Jung pick.
DallasAg 94
Alvarado Times said:

MLB draft upcoming...... Rangers at 8. I'll take Jackson Rutledge.

Still available after Mets' 12th pick. Listed by MLB as #2 player available.
CampingAg
AG
gigem1223 said:

Maybe I'm just forgetting someone recent but when is the last time the rangers picked a college positional player in the first round? Was hoping they'd go college since they're more mlb ready.

Love the Jung pick.
Not sure. But the Rangers pick the highest percentage of HS'ers in the first five rounds out of any team in baseball.
Aggie_3
CampingAg said:

gigem1223 said:

Love the Jung pick.
Not sure. But the Rangers pick the highest percentage of HS'ers in the first five rounds out of any team in baseball.

Really hope that changes this year
DallasAg 94
gigem1223 said:

Love the Jung pick.
Looks like 2008:
Justin Smoak: 1B SoCarolina in 2008. 11th overall pick

Mike Olt: 3B UConn in 2010. 4th Rangers pick 49th overall Comp pick
Zach Cone: OF Ga in 2011. 2nd Rangers pick 37th overall. Comp pick
DallasAg 94
Based on the number of players the Rangers have had to have TJ surgery in recent years, I'm thinking... I'd stay away from HS pitchers, in the 1st Rd.

You are going to give $3-5M+... up to $8M. You have 5 years to develop, and TJ surgery is basically 3 lost years. Now, you have to either carry them on the 40, or risk loss to Rule V.

With only 3 taken, this year... I wonder if we'll see a change?!

Top 30 pickes over years a decade apart:
2019: 3 HS Pitchers
2018: 7, 2 unsigned
2017: 5
2016: 7
2015: 7

2008: 1
2007: 8
2006: 5
2005: 3

1998: 3
1997: 7
1996: 9
1995: 8
DallasAg 94
Looks like we're loading up on 3B'ers.

Davis Wendzel, 3B, Baylor.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

3rd base is a black hole in the organization. I'm ok with our draft so far. Better than the crazy lotto picks we used to do.

Mazara, Calhoun, and gallo are young hitters who have performed good this year at the major league level, but we definitely need more.
tk for tu juan
UCLA P Ryan Garcia selected
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

3rd base is a black hole in the organization. I'm ok with our draft so far. Better than the crazy lotto picks we used to do.

Mazara, Calhoun, and gallo are young hitters who have performed good this year at the major league level, but we definitely need more.
Yeah, good thing we've had Beltre. Sure miss that guy.

I know nothing about either of them. It just reminds me of when we drafted Justin Smoak with the #11th pick in 2008.

We had:
AAA: Chris Davis (22): .333, 23 HR - DOB: 3/17/'86
A: Mitch Moreland (22): .324, 18 HR - DOB: 9/6/'85
Draft
Smoak: DOB: 12/5/'86 (9 months younger than Davis)

I thought at the time, that is was the least beneficial pick. All 3 were 1B... or maybe a DH, so you knew if Davis made it, you'd have 2 guys blocked for a long time.

Davis went on in '08 to go 80G, 17 HR, .285 for Texas.

40 HRs for the Rangers' organization in 2008... and you drafted a 1B to play behind him.

He went .297, 36HRs in the minors for the Rangers in 2007, so it wasn't like he came out of nowhere.
First Page Last Page
Page 49 of 136

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.