*****Offical Texas Rangers 2019 Season Thread*****

467,971 Views | 4725 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
DallasAg 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BarryProfit said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

NOW... we have to root for the Astros.

They beat the A's tonight, in Oakland, and the Rangers are Tied for the 2nd WC spot with the A's.

Lance Lynn on the mound for the Rangers tomorrow.
It's still so early in the season and the Astros are having so much injury trouble that I'm not ready to 100% concede the division ( only probably 95%)

It would be cool to tighten up the division while Correa, altuve, and springer are all out. I just want to make it clear that I don't have any delusions of winning the AL West, but if we can close the margin to 3 or 4 games before we meet for 7 games in early July, that could be fun and meaningful baseball for a young core who could use the experience.
The Astros absolutely need to be looking over their shoulder. The point of finishing the day T-WC, especially right now... is the perception it gives fans and the pressure it might present to the FO, that this team needs some help, and we're not ready to start dumping players, just yet.

The Astros with a little cushion, may have them hesitate to add pieces early.
Rangers are closer to last place than first place.
Based on Division. We are also closer to Opening Day, than we are starting the playoffs.

Based on the AL:
The Rangers are 9.5 GB the Twins.
Baltimore is 11.0 GB the Rangers.

Based on the Playoffs:
Rangers are one of 7 that are "in." Tied with 2 others for the WC.
8 teams are Not.

Houston has major injury issues. I've mentioned this before:
Altuve: 39G, .243, 9HR, .329 OBP
Correa: 50G, .295, 11HR, .360 OBP
Springer: 48G, .308, 17HR, .389 OBP

That's 37 HRs out of 95 = 39%.

Now, Houston may very well be able to maintain their lead... maybe even pull ahead. But they could also very well lose ground.
wbt5845
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Interesting article on the 3 we've discussed: Pence, Forsythe & Santana.
Thanks for posting that. I didn't realize Santana had been so bad for 3-4 seasons.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Pence, Cabrera, and new Gallo...and healthy Choo is impressive

Pitching is still pretty awful but couldn't ask for a better year so far
DallasAg 94
Hoping the Yankees finish off the BoSox. If the Yanks win the next 2 games, how far do the Sox fall, before they wave the flag? Or do they?

They are at $236M, so they can't really add anyone.

They have so many bad looking contracts, they have few they can fire sell.
Price (33): 3yrs @ $32M per (2.83 ERA)
Sale (30): 3yrs @ $30M per, then $27.5M (4.35ERA)
Eovaldi (29): 3yrs @ $17M per (IL, 6.00ERA)

JD Martinez (31):3 @ $19M+ per. (.292, 11HR)
Bogarts (26): 4 @ $20M per (.292, 10HR)
Pedroia (retire?): 2yr @ $12M and $13M

Who do they have other than Porcello, to sell?
ryanhnc10
AG
Just took Gallo out of the game for grimacing after a big cut at the plate. Looks like he might have tweaked his back.
AggieDPT
AG
Schall 02
AG
Oblique.
DallasAg 94
Hope it isn't serious. Either way, time for others to step up.

Good win today. Lynn continues to impress.

I believe they said Pence was named AL Player of the Month, for May. Starts June 2 for 5.
Grapesoda2525
We should be ok.......until next Friday at least.

We should be able to get wins this week without gallo. Royals tomorrow, offday, then 3 against the garbage Doug Brocail orioles pitching staff.

It would be nice to get Calhoun back next week. From what little I've seen of him, he's still probably one of the better bats on this team.

I hope gallo doesn't miss more than a few weeks.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

We should be able to get wins this week without gallo. Royals tomorrow, offday, then 3 against the garbage Doug Brocail orioles pitching staff.

It would be nice to get Calhoun back next week. From what little I've seen of him, he's still probably one of the better bats on this team.

Tomorrow is Sampson v Keller (23-RHP): 12 GS, 4.56 ERA, 71.0 IP, 48 SO, 1.46 WHIP

It wouldn't surprise me to see a similar lineup as today, with Santana in CF.

It will be interesting to see who they recall. With an injury, they could recall Granite, but DeShields or Tocci makes the most sense.

The only other position players on the 40 are Trevino (C) and Wisdom (3B).

I thought I saw where the Rangers only had 39, but Baseball-Reference indicates 40 on the 40.

Calhoun is mid-June, IIRC. The problem with getting him back and losing Gallo is, no CF. Santana is an occasional CF, but not a long-term solution.
Pence, Calhoun, Choo, Mazara...

Where I really appreciate Santana, and I've said this multiple times... he just wants to be on the team and willing to do whatever the Rangers want, if he just gets to stay on the team. I love that attitude, and it is invaluable right now, when you have nagging injuries creep in. 2B? Sure. CF? Sure. 1B? Sure. It doesn't show up in the stats and it isn't quantifiable. He is the type of PH in the playoffs that creates a following.

GP:
2B: 12
1B: 8
CF: 8
SS: 4
LF: 1

If you get a .200-.210 BA from a Util guy, without too much of a defensive liability, that's pretty good. So, to me, his .291 BA is off the charts. At 2B, he misplayed a bloop, which I think Odor gets to... and I was going to take a shot at him, from the bantering, but in all honesty, this isn't an Odor vs Santana, and I expect less from Santana because he carries 3 mitts, where as, Odor plays only 1 position.

Bantering is always less biting, when we win.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Tomorrow is Sampson v Keller (23-RHP): 12 GS, 4.56 ERA, 71.0 IP, 48 SO, 1.46 WHIP

It wouldn't surprise me to see a similar lineup as today, with Santana in CF.

It will be interesting to see who they recall. With an injury, they could recall Granite, but DeShields or Tocci makes the most sense.

The only other position players on the 40 are Trevino (C) and Wisdom (3B).

I thought I saw where the Rangers only had 39, but Baseball-Reference indicates 40 on the 40.

Calhoun is mid-June, IIRC. The problem with getting him back and losing Gallo is, no CF. Santana is an occasional CF, but not a long-term solution.
Pence, Calhoun, Choo, Mazara...

Where I really appreciate Santana, and I've said this multiple times... he just wants to be on the team and willing to do whatever the Rangers want, if he just gets to stay on the team. I love that attitude, and it is invaluable right now, when you have nagging injuries creep in. 2B? Sure. CF? Sure. 1B? Sure. It doesn't show up in the stats and it isn't quantifiable. He is the type of PH in the playoffs that creates a following.

GP:
2B: 12
1B: 8
CF: 8
SS: 4
LF: 1

If you get a .200-.210 BA from a Util guy, without too much of a defensive liability, that's pretty good. So, to me, his .291 BA is off the charts. At 2B, he misplayed a bloop, which I think Odor gets to... and I was going to take a shot at him, from the bantering, but in all honesty, this isn't an Odor vs Santana, and I expect less from Santana because he carries 3 mitts, where as, Odor plays only 1 position.

Bantering is always less biting, when we win.
Santana's bat has dropped off a bit lately. I think the problem is he's been hitting primarily right handed. He seems to be a better than average bat left handed and a below average bat right handed. I don't mind when he makes a few mistakes in the field because he doesn't have a set position. He plays adequate 1st, 2nd, and CF. He will make all of the routine plays at all of those places, but will probably struggle with some of the harder plays. He's still a great guy to have on the roster and hopefully he's kept on the next few years.

You're right that is a very good attitude. I know guys like Michael Young, Ian kinsler, and Profar threw fits when the rangers moved them around or tried too.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

Quote:

Santana's bat has dropped off a bit lately. I think the problem is he's been hitting primarily right handed. He seems to be a better than average bat left handed and a below average bat right handed. I don't mind when he makes a few mistakes in the field because he doesn't have a set position. He plays adequate 1st, 2nd, and CF. He will make all of the routine plays at all of those places, but will probably struggle with some of the harder plays. He's still a great guy to have on the roster and hopefully he's kept on the next few years.

You're right that is a very good attitude. I know guys like Michael Young, Ian kinsler, and Profar threw fits when the rangers moved them around or tried too.
Agreed.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Gallo to the 10 day DL. Deshields called up.

Gallo is my 9 year old daughter's favorite player and we're going to miss him for the A's game on Friday.

She just told me, "No Joe, no go."

Yeah, we're going anyway.
DallasAg 94
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Gallo to the 10 day DL. Deshields called up.

Gallo is my 9 year old daughter's favorite player and we're going to miss him for the A's game on Friday.

She just told me, "No Joe, no go."

Yeah, we're going anyway.
Tell her with him on the IL, he has more time to interact with fans.
wbt5845
AG
Watching KC got me to thinking - when did Billy Hamilton get so bad? I remember him seeing him play for the Reds a few years back thinking he would be a perpetual All Star.
DallasAg 94
Pretty gutsy inning by Sampson.
chick79
AG
Odor is just awful. Also anyone see his pants today? What a freakin' tool.
TDub
AG
chick79 said:

I bet you won't say that to his face
wbt5845
AG
chick79 said:

grapesoda get a new handle?
Grapesoda2525
Wasn't me bro
Carlo4
AG
I wanna talk to Sampson!

DallasAg 94
chick7 said:

Also anyone see his pants today? What a freakin' tool.
Clearly you aren't watching the game.
DallasAg 94
For those not watching the game.

Pence won AL Player of the Month for May. Half the Rangers players are wearing their pants above the knee, just as Pence wears his.
wbt5845
AG
ODOR HITS A DOUBLE TO DRIVE IN AN INSURANCE RUN!!!

DallasAg 94
And with that Double by Odor, his 1for4 (.250) just raised his season BA.

Need to get to IKF, so everyone can end the game with a H.
wbt5845
AG
Man, KC is terrible on defense.
Carlo4
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Pence won AL Player of the Month for May. Half the Rangers players are wearing their pants above the knee, just as Pence wears his.

So the other half don't support his award?!?
Grapesoda2525
wbt5845 said:

Royals suck in general. Very bad baseball team. I'm relieved that we've done well against them. Losing to them is inexcusable.
DallasAg 94
PDEMDHC said:

DallasAg 94 said:

So the other half don't support his award?!?
The other half aren't desperate for a hit.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

wbt5845 said:

Royals suck in general. Very bad baseball team. I'm relieved that we've done well against them. Losing to them is inexcusable.
I agree.

Fantastic outing by Sampson: 7.0 IP, 8 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 11 K. The only run was a HR.

While I love what he did, I'm under no illusions that he is now considered a solid MLB SP.
DallasAg 94
HELLO WIN COLUMN!!!
Grapesoda2525
Nice double by the little man at second base to bring in a run.
DallasAg 94
Cle lost to CHW. Both now 1.5 GB Rangers.
A's losing 3-2 to Hou at home. M5

Boston later against NYY
DallasAg 94
Sampson should now be qualified on ERA. Should come in at 25th in the AL.
alvtimes
chick79 said:

you do know its against the rules to criticize Odor right???? You will be flogged by the baseball gods of Texags!!!!
First Page Last Page
Page 48 of 136

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.