*****Offical Texas Rangers 2019 Season Thread*****

468,691 Views | 4725 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
KT 90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gallo muscles an opposite field HR to tie it up at 1-1.

KT 90
AG
Alvarado Times said:

so if the longstanding nickname for a low batting average is .200 (mendoza line)...... and Odor continues at his .150 pace..... will the Odor line replace the Mendoza line??????

Well that is technically possible, but it would take multiple seasons of .150ish batting averages for that to come fruition. Mendoza hovered around the .200 mark throughout his career (just looked it up, career avg was .215). Then Mendoza infamously was given the "Mendoza line" moniker by somebody.

As I type this, Rougie just got a hit. I think he'll at least end up around .225 this season.

MSFC Aggie
AG
KT 90 said:

If Emily Jones tweets it, it's has to be ok to post here;

Those block or charge tweets are great
KT 90
AG
Calhoun with a 2 RBI single to put the Rangers in the lead 3-1

bigcat22
AG
KT 90 said:

Going the other way on a 1-2 pitch away. That's just good hitting. Odor...take notes...
MSFC Aggie
AG
ESPN article on Gallo

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26756077/joey-gallo-king-baseball-three-true-outcomes-era

Quote:

If the game is broken -- and considering how different it looks from even a decade ago, such sentiment isn't uncommon -- Gallo embodies and embraces that brokenness. Nearly two-thirds of his plate appearances this season result in a home run, walk or strikeout. Whatever one cares to call this brand of baseball -- Three True Outcomes baseball, millennial baseball or slug baseball, for both the emphasis on hitting it hard and the pace at which it operates -- Gallo is its undeniable king, and he's proud to wear the crown.
KT 90
AG
bigcat22 said:

KT 90 said:

Going the other way on a 1-2 pitch away. That's just good hitting. Odor...take notes...

Another opposite field hit for Calhoun. They may need to rethink the shift they are employing against him.

MSFC Aggie
AG
Willie
bigcat22
AG
Big Willie does it again
DallasAg 94
Willie looks like he is not interested in returning to Nahsville.

Could force the Rangers to give up a RP, if not temporarily... in order to make a bigger roster move.

You've added Santana, Willie and Pence... for almost nothing.

Odor just said, "Hold my beer Willie, I ain't going anywhere."
DallasAg 94
Radio guys indicating Leclerc to open for Sampson, tomorrow.
Mr Gigem
AG
This is dumb. Just call the game
Carlo4
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Radio guys indicating Leclerc to open for Sampson, tomorrow.

But why?
TDub
AG
AccidentProne said:

This is dumb. Just call the game

Nah it's fun
DeangeloVickers
AG
NOT LAST PLACE TEXAS RANGERS!!!

SUCK IT OAKLAND!!
DallasAg 94
We sold on Calhoun, or just meh... it was KC... we'll decide when we face a legit pitching staff?
Grapesoda2525
Dave Raymond and company are preparing a huge segment tomorrow dedicated to the big stink. They will say that his home run in the 9th inning off a position player is where he officially busted out of his slump and we should ALL expect nothing, but great things out of him the rest of the way.

I snuck into the rangers front office and this is how they evaluate the current group of position players.

odor strikes out = front office ignores it like it didn't happen.

Odor makes contact = it's the equivalent of backup Santana, forsythe, or pence getting a single

Odor gets a single = equal to a Santana, forsythe, or Calhoun extra base hit

Odor gets a double = equal to a Santana, forsythe, or Calhoun home run

Odor gets a triple = we might have the next mike trout on our hands.

Odor gets a home run = slump is over. Previous negative at bats completely forgotten about and forgiven. Leash is extended by another 2 weeks.
94chem
Came in from work today, and my son says we won 16-1. First thing I said was "Odor probably hit 2 homers, and everybody will say he's turned it around." So, I checked the box score. For the record, yes, I am a wizard.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Your hatred for Odor is unsettling. I swear I think it angers you when he does better.
TDub
AG
Did Odor steal your girl or something?? You sound irrationally angry
Grapesoda2525
94chem said:

Came in from work today, and my son says we won 16-1. First thing I said was "Odor probably hit 2 homers, and everybody will say he's turned it around." So, I checked the box score. For the record, yes, I am a wizard.
The team was hitting batting practice all day off below average to bad pitchers.

Grapesoda2525
etxag18 said:

As a fan, I just want to see us put the best team out there that we possibly can. That's all I care about. I think most other teams would've sent a player struggling as much as he has like Odor down to the minors by now and it's especially frustrating because we have several guys who are outplaying him by a wide margin.

Santana, forsythe, and Calhoun are playing circles around that joker. This isn't little league. The best player should play.
TDub
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

etxag18 said:

As a fan, I just want to see us put the best team out there that we possibly can. That's all I care about. I think most other teams would've sent a player struggling as much as he has like Odor down to the minors by now and it's especially frustrating because we have several guys who are outplaying him by a wide margin.

Santana, forsythe, and Calhoun are playing circles around that joker. This isn't little league. The best player should play.

Santana has been hitting like .136 in the past two weeks
powerbelly
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

etxag18 said:

I am not an Odor fan, but the sample size is a little small for Calhoun.
Grapesoda2525
etxag18 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

etxag18 said:

Santana has been hitting like .136 in the past two weeks
He's hitting around .320 for the year so I have no earthly idea what the heck you're looking at.

If anything, the guy was on a hot streak and the big stink came back ASAP to get his spot back. The lineup doesn't look as good when Forsythe, Santana, and pence aren't in there. Just being honest.
Grapesoda2525
powerbelly said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

etxag18 said:

I understand that, but Calhoun has a big advantage over odor. Calhoun is known for putting the ball in play. He rarely strikes out. That bodes well for him as a major league hitter.
TDub
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

powerbelly said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

etxag18 said:

I understand that, but Calhoun has a big advantage over odor. Calhoun is known for putting the ball in play. He rarely strikes out. That bodes well for him as a major league hitter.

Calhoun is also a defensive liability. Odor has been pretty solid at 2nd. With Elvis out you don't have many options
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

etxag18 said:

Someone like say... Chris Davis?
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

Dave Raymond and company are preparing a huge segment tomorrow dedicated to the big stink. They will say that his home run in the 9th inning off a position player is where he officially busted out of his slump and we should ALL expect nothing, but great things out of him the rest of the way.

I snuck into the rangers front office and this is how they evaluate the current group of position players.

Odor makes contact = it's the equivalent of backup Santana, forsythe, or pence getting a single

Odor gets a home run = slump is over. Previous negative at bats completely forgotten about and forgiven. Leash is extended by another 2 weeks.
I snuck into your head:

Odor gets a hit = Terrible pitcher everyone gets hits off him.
Nobody gets a hit = Odor is terrible.
Odor gets only hit for team = The other players faced a really good pitcher and Odor got luck.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

I snuck into your head:

Odor gets only hit for team = The other players faced a really good pitcher and Odor got luck.
That's funny, but realistically it's a stretch.

Is odor's performance today really worth celebrating when the team scored over 15 runs? All of the hits In the 9th off a royals position player count on the stat sheet, but they don't mean anything regarding the trajectory of a player.

The pitching they faced today was awful. Most major league teams probably would've put up 10 runs.

As for your second point, we haven't been no hit yet so that's just not true or relevant to the discussion.

I don't recall any games this year where odor got the only hit for us, but I could be wrong there. I know I'm not wrong about us not getting no hit tho.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

I snuck into your head:

That's funny, but realistically it's a stretch.

Is odor's performance today really worth celebrating when the team scored over 15 runs? All of the hits In the 9th off a royals position player count on the stat sheet, but they don't mean anything regarding the trajectory of a player.

The pitching they faced today was awful. Most major league teams probably would've put up 10 runs.

As for your second point, we haven't been no hit yet so that's just not true or relevant to the discussion.

I don't recall any games this year where odor got the only hit for us, but I could be wrong there. I know I'm not wrong about us not getting no hit tho.
I'm not saying it it time to celebrate.

The point was... when he does well, and the other players do well, you want to point out that he only did well because the pitcher sucked. Fair enough... but Willie faced the same pitchers. Which is why I asked... are we sold on him, or was it just poor KC pitching.

When Odor struggles... some times it is the pitcher and the entire team struggles. You like to call out Odor, but fail to mention the other players struggled as well, because it was a great pitcher.

It is worth nothing Willie is 9 months younger than Odor. Willie has a career 50Gs and a .255 BA and 5 HR, mostly against poor KC pitching, and is most likely a DH. Odor has 703G, .244, 111 HR... and plays a skill position.

I love what Danny Santana is doing. He is 3 year older than Odor and has played 389G with a career .251 BA, 16 HR, 54 SB.

Forsythe (32) is having a great season (.320)... well, for him. A career .250 hitter. 66 HRs. He has 639G (887) at 2B. So, at age 32, 7 years older than Odor, this mostly 2B (72% of G) has fewer games at 2B than Odor.

We can do this all day long...
DallasAg 94
DON'T LOOK NOW....

AL ERA:
6. Mike Minor: 2.61
31. Lance Lynn: 4.94

Lance Lynn is 31st in AL SP, among qualified SPs.

Come on Lance... we need some trade chips.

But then, both guys are under contract next season... do we want to keep them?
KT 90
AG
Something to keep an eye on, Reed Garrett had a good 2018 in AAA:

Quote:

Detroit Tigers relief pitcher Reed Garrett, who was selected from the Texas Rangers by Detroit in the Rule 5 Draft this past offseason, has been designated for assignment. The Tigers now have seven days to trade, waive or release Garrett.
Garrett, 26, was a 16th round draft pick out of VMI by the Rangers in 2014. A righthander, Garrett split 2018 between Frisco and Round Rock, putting up a 2.04 ERA in 61.2 IP, with 61 Ks and 17 unintentional walks. He was considered a borderline candidate to be added to the 40 man roster this past offseason, and once he was left exposed, he was seen as someone who could be picked in the Rule 5 Draft.
Garrett broke camp with the Tigers and had a strong start to the year, but in the past few weeks has been knocked around. He has allowed 11 runs in 14.1 IP, with 12 walks against 9 Ks and 20 hits in the majors for Detroit. If Garrett clears waivers, he has to be offered back to the Rangers by Detroit. If a team claims him or acquires him via trade, that team has to keep Garrett on the 25 man roster per the normal Rule 5 rules.

KT 90
AG
Shelby Miller to the bullpen:

Quote:

May 16, 2019
  • Facebook Share
  • Twitter Share
  • Email
  • Copy Link
KANSAS CITY -- Rangers manager Chris Woodward has some creative pitching plans as they return to Globe Life Park on Friday to open a three-game series against the Cardinals.
Woodward confirmed before Thursday's 16-1 win over the Royals that struggling right-hander Shelby Miller will not take his scheduled starting turn on Sunday and will work from the bullpen, at least temporarily. Meanwhile, left-hander Drew Smyly's turn is being pushed back to Sunday from Friday as Smyly recovers from a slight left ankle sprain.
Adrian Sampson on Friday and Ariel Jurado on Saturday will be the primary pitchers, with Jose Leclerc expected to work in front of Sampson as an opener, and Jesse Chavez likely to fill the opener's role ahead of Jurado, provided that Shawn Kelley is activated.
"It'll be good to get those first three or four hitters out of the way, because I don't want to put an expectation of [Sampson or Jurado] going 90 or 100 pitches," Woodward said. "With both those guys, it will just help them get through."
The decision to take Miller out of the starting rotation comes after his ERA ballooned to 9.51 when he allowed seven hits and eight runs over 1 2/3 innings in the opening game vs. the Royals on Tuesday.
Woodward said both he and pitching coach Julio Rangel have spoken to Miller about the plan that will be laid out for him moving forward.
"He's fine with it," Woodward said. "He's open to whatever. He knows he has struggled in a starting role."
For the time being, Woodward said he envisions Miller being used for an inning or two in certain situations.

Grapesoda2525
KT 90 said:

Shelby Miller to the bullpen:

Quote:

May 16, 2019
  • Facebook Share
  • Twitter Share
  • Email
  • Copy Link
KANSAS CITY -- Rangers manager Chris Woodward has some creative pitching plans as they return to Globe Life Park on Friday to open a three-game series against the Cardinals.
Woodward confirmed before Thursday's 16-1 win over the Royals that struggling right-hander Shelby Miller will not take his scheduled starting turn on Sunday and will work from the bullpen, at least temporarily. Meanwhile, left-hander Drew Smyly's turn is being pushed back to Sunday from Friday as Smyly recovers from a slight left ankle sprain.
Adrian Sampson on Friday and Ariel Jurado on Saturday will be the primary pitchers, with Jose Leclerc expected to work in front of Sampson as an opener, and Jesse Chavez likely to fill the opener's role ahead of Jurado, provided that Shawn Kelley is activated.
"It'll be good to get those first three or four hitters out of the way, because I don't want to put an expectation of [Sampson or Jurado] going 90 or 100 pitches," Woodward said. "With both those guys, it will just help them get through."
The decision to take Miller out of the starting rotation comes after his ERA ballooned to 9.51 when he allowed seven hits and eight runs over 1 2/3 innings in the opening game vs. the Royals on Tuesday.
Woodward said both he and pitching coach Julio Rangel have spoken to Miller about the plan that will be laid out for him moving forward.
"He's fine with it," Woodward said. "He's open to whatever. He knows he has struggled in a starting role."
For the time being, Woodward said he envisions Miller being used for an inning or two in certain situations.

Thank god

Shelby Miller is a total disaster right now.
First Page Last Page
Page 36 of 136

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.