*****Offical Texas Rangers 2019 Season Thread*****

468,899 Views | 4725 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Those are not mutually exclusive concepts. You can believe in him while also thinking a bit of a reset to find his swing and confidence would do some good.
Grapesoda2525
bigcat22 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

He needs to go to AAA. Being lost is doing his development no favors.

Don't disagree, but according to Evan, the front office believes in him...

I'm starting to question our front office then. They ALL might need an appointment with the eye doctor.

Seriously wtf?
Grapesoda2525
bigcat22 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

He needs to go to AAA. Being lost is doing his development no favors.

Don't disagree, but according to Evan, the front office believes in him...

If we keep him up much longer, he's going to turn into the laughing stock of the league, assuming he isn't that already.
Seven Costanza
AG
Rougned Odor's 2019 stats:

BA: .141
OBP: .218
SLG: .261
OPS: .479

Zack Greinke's career batting stats (over 500 plate appearances):

BA: .222
OBP: .261
SLG: .331
OPS: .592
DeangeloVickers
AG
I like it. Let Greinke play 2nd base between starts

Santana is the answer for this season
Grapesoda2525
Seven Costanza said:

That's pretty funny actually.

Big stench should be ashamed.
Baby Billy
AG
Look who was spotted at the southlake Hobby Lobby

bigcat22
AG
He looks great, hopefully he is doing well. I wasn't sure how retirement and a divorce would mess with his sobriety.
TDub
AG
Huell Babineaux said:

Look who was spotted at the southlake Hobby Lobby

Ran into him on Northgate about a month or two ago.
toucan82
Seven Costanza said:

but Greinke also gets paid a lot more so it all evens out
Rossko
AG
Corbin Martin making his MLB debut against us today.
ChipFTAC01
AG
He's taken up scrapbooking to keep himself busy.
Carlo4
AG
Aggie looks good against us. However he's gotta keep those emotions in check!

I wonder if we will be able to knock him around in the 4th. Dude was angry he gave up his first HR and missed a spot on a swinging K.

bigcat22
AG
Well this is a depressing thought

monarch
S
Rangers aren't the same program they were a few years back...
Peace for Ukraine!
Hamburger Dan
monarch said:

Rangers aren't the same program they were a few years back...

You are correct. But I was there in 1972. I've been to more games that I could dream of, I've seen an All Star game in DFW and a couple of World Series. I'm hoping they get back to that level. I'll stick it out.
bigcat22
AG
Pathetic showing by the Rangers this weekend. Offense was absolutely abysmal

Grapesoda2525
bigcat22 said:

Pathetic showing by the Rangers this weekend. Offense was absolutely abysmal

Total dud. Very pathetic. Embarrassing.

Astros caught us when we were cold / struggling and the Astros were firing on all cylinders. What a **** show that whole series was.

Giant turd.
alvtimes
bigcat22 said:

Unfortunately, I don't think Evan is wrong here. Odor needs to figure it out, and figure it out quickly.

so lets see... the Rangers havent developed a better 2nd baseman, no 3rd baseman ready when Beltre retired, just sent the CF'er down, signed a bunch of medical retreads as starters to flip because they had no talent ready..... lord I hope Elvis doesnt opt out of this ****show!!!! Lord who has been running the draft??????
Grapesoda2525

That tweet is pretty damning if you ask me.
Mr. White
What's the latest on the Jon Daniels approval rating?
bigcat22
AG
Not to further depress the Ranger faithful on here but Chris Davis, yes Orioles Chris Davis, has a higher batting average than Odor. By just over .050 points...
Corporal Punishment
AG
...and probably could play second base as well, too.
wbt5845
AG
So this season is all about figuring out which young players are part of the future here and which ones aren't. So let's make an early season assessment of how guys are headed. This is guys 25 or younger.

Moving The Right Direction

Gallo - Headed towards being an All Star. Certainly appears to be a key part of the team's future

Guzman - OK, the injury took him out too long. But his freakish skills at 1B will make him an asset and his bat will certainly come around.

Moving the Wrong Direction

Odor - He is playing himself out of a job.

Mazara - For being the defensive liability he is, he must be a great hitter He has been up long enough that he should be much better at the plate than what he's showing.

Brett Martin - Still early, but he's been bad.

Still Uncertain

Kiner-Falefa - His .200 BA is weak but he is showing some real skills behind the plate.

Juardo - Still too small a sample size.
DallasAg 94
Mr. White said:

JD is kinda lost in the wilderness.

He no longer has the great scouting he once had, no longer has areas he can exploit, like LATAM, or trades.

Right now, he is where the record of the Rangers has him... middle of the pack.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Mr. White said:

I
He no longer has the great scouting he once had, no longer has areas he can exploit, like LATAM, or trades.

What happened to our scouting department?

I know we've suffered a "brain drain" of sorts. AJ preller is in San Diego, Thad Levine is in Minnesota, and I'm sure I've missed a few more.
bigcat22
AG
It will definitely be interesting to see how JD handles things going forward. He did a great job with the rebuilding in 07-09, which gave us a great 6-7 year run (damn Nellie Cruz and that damn fly to right...). Now, with the LATAM advantage no longer there, and the extreme unlikeliness of another Teixeira trade, I think a lot of the emphasis is going to be put on scouting/drafting, and signing older retreds with hopes of flipping them to contenders (ie Lofton, Gange, Pence?). I still have faith in JD, but he definitely has his work cut out for him.
alvtimes
Grapesoda2525 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Mr. White said:

I

I know we've suffered a "brain drain" of sorts. AJ preller is in San Diego, Thad Levine is in Minnesota, and I'm sure I've missed a few more.

or maybe JD was getting the credit for the work others were putting in????.. Prellers Padres have top ranked farm system
Grapesoda2525
Alvarado Times said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Mr. White said:

I

or maybe JD was getting the credit for the work others were putting in????.. Prellers Padres have top ranked farm system
That's entirely possible. If you go back to around 2010 or so, almost every single team in MLB was jealous of our front office.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Mr. White said:

I

Jose Luis Felomina, was with the Rangers from 2008 until he died in Feb 2017. He was 50.

Roger Coryell was with the Rangers from 2009 until his death in Apr 2018. He was 70.

Preller took Don Welke with him, in 2014. He was huge. He joined the Rangers in 2006 and was credited with getting Beltre signed, Profar and Andrus. He died in Sept 2018. He was 75.

Tommy Giordano was with the Rangers from 2001-2015, left for the Braves to re-join former Rangers GM Hart. He died Feb 2019, at age 93.

Not 100% on anyone else, but I'm sure there are others. Preller was the one running the LATAM area, so I'm sure that had a huge impact on players from there.
DallasAg 94
Alvarado Times said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Mr. White said:

I

How did they get there?

Preller signed for Shields (4yr/$75M) and ultimately traded him for Fernando Tatis Jr, the Padres #1 prospect. He dumped Shields in June 2016, with a 4.28 ERA and struggling. Did nothing for the White Sox.

The Padres' #2 prospect with the #3 overall pick in 2017. MacKenzie Gore

The Padres #3 prospect is Chris Paddack. He was also traded in June 2016 by Miami for Fernando Rodney. Closer had 28 App, 17 Saves and an 0.31 ERA, if I can read that right. Kudo to Preller on this one.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Mr. White said:

I

Jose Luis Felomina, was with the Rangers from 2008 until he died in Feb 2017. He was 50.

Roger Coryell was with the Rangers from 2009 until his death in Apr 2018. He was 70.

Preller took Don Welke with him, in 2014. He was huge. He joined the Rangers in 2006 and was credited with getting Beltre signed, Profar and Andrus. He died in Sept 2018. He was 75.

Tommy Giordano was with the Rangers from 2001-2015, left for the Braves to re-join former Rangers GM Hart. He died Feb 2019, at age 93.

Not 100% on anyone else, but I'm sure there are others. Preller was the one running the LATAM area, so I'm sure that had a huge impact on players from there.
That's interesting. We had a bunch of old farts who finally figured out their jobs, but unfortunately were stolen by other teams or they passed away.

Preller and Levine were the 2 big losses that I know of, I hope JD can figure somethings out tho. The team and the minors look like a mess right now.
DallasAg 94
The #5 Prospect - Francisco Mejia, was a trade of Chris Hand (CL) to Cleveland in July 2018.
The #6 Prospect - Adrian Morejon, was a IFA signed for $11M in July 2016....Their penalty for signing him was a 100% Tax, so it cost them $22M. It cost them dearly. They were limited to $300K per signing for 2 years.

The #7 Prospect - Logan Allen was acquired from Boston, for Kimbrel, in Nov 2015

Preller got Kimbrel from Atlanta for Cameron Maybin and Austin Riley.

So, much like what the Rangers are doing, there is no magical formula that isn't unknown.

Trade high value MLB players for high value prospects. Suck and get a top pick.

The point is... Preller doesn't have some advanced scouting or awareness where he has found all of these gems.

OH... and avoid TJ surgery.
Grapesoda2525
I'm not really looking forward to the series with the royals. Honestly, I really like Kauffman stadium. It looks beautiful on tv and it would be cool to see a game there.

Unfortunately, Odor and Mazara will probably hit a home run or get several hits off some scrub pitcher who should be in double AA. That's good for them I guess, but I'm not looking forward to all of the cheerleading and the JD lovers who will say that "they've turned it around" and "the slump is over now".

Realistically, what we might see shouldn't wash away the first month of those guys sucking and they should still be on the hot seat 100% after we leave KC.
DallasAg 94

They are.
First Page Last Page
Page 33 of 136

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.