***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,917,013 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
yes, the new CBA is going to shorten the wait for free agency. Perhaps tie it to an age instead of years of service.

but the players need to understand what that means. It will be great for the super-elite players, but for everyone else it means shorter contracts for less money
JYDog90
AG
W said:

checking in with the Tigers...Detroit was 18-20 when the Astros arrived in town last week...

now the Tigers are 18-27. Have not recovered from the astro experience

That poor guy who does the Tiger tweets after the game has probably had a coronary by now.
3B Paul 97
AG
Two of those HRs were 2 run shots. Teams have only manufactured 4 runs against him this year.
Deluxe
AG
Interesting note: When we get back to full strength, we could potentially field a lineup in which Altuve is our worst hitter by OPS+...

1. Springer 177
2. Altuve 114
3. Bregman 152
4. Brantley 149
5. Correa 145
6. Reddick 131
7. Chirinos 130
8. Diaz 120
9. Marisnick 140

(Gurriel 98, White 77 and Kemp 93 for reference)

I wonder if a team has ever fielded a lineup with 114 as the worst OPS+.
redline248
AG
Anyone mind providing some snippets from this article?

E
AG
That kid going to Japan sucks for MLB but great for the kid! Make a lot more money now and for the next few years. And when his contact is potentially up at age 25 he can come back as a free agent and sign anywhere he wants.

He'll probably also get endorsement deals in Japan where as I doubt single A ball players get any.
astros4545
AG
Pressly has a damn hog, not that I'm surprised
Over 10"

BullSprig07
AG
His may be the largest but they all make me feel inferior
Oyster DuPree
AG
astros4545 said:

Pressly has a damn hog, not that I'm surprised
Over 10"

Is that not normal?
Deluxe
AG
Not surprised at all that Pressly is over 10 inches. I wonder who has the smallest on our staff.
Big Al 1992
AG
mathguy86 said:

After last night, JV has some insanely stupid numbers.

BAA .142.
BABIP .158
WHIP 0.73
LOB% 97%

He's given up an insane 36 H in 72.1 IP and 12 of the 36 H are HR. Think about that. He's allowed just 24 hits in play in 72.1 IP. He's given up 18 runs and 12 came directly from guys hitting HRs stepping on home plate.

Nuts.

All the JV love and no one posts Rally Kate?!
Marvin
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

All the JV love and no one posts Rally Kate?!

With the weird turn this thread is taking, I'd say those are definitely needed!
Ag_07
AG
10.8" is impressive

Don't let Odor or Gallo find out.
Deluxe
AG
Ag_07 said:

10.8" is impressive

Don't let Odor or Gallo find out.
We probably have 6-8 guys on our staff who are bigger than the Rangers' biggest
JW_TXAG13
AG
redline248 said:

Anyone mind providing some snippets from this article?

Club officials believed elevated four-seamers would help him produce better overall results as he changed eye levels with his curveball, slider and two-seam, or sinking, fastball. Yet even then, Cole says he did not fully grasp how much better of a pitch his four-seamer was than his two-seamer, or which locations he needed to hit to generate the best performance. The Astros gave him that information, and Cole's former teammates in Pittsburgh have told him that the Pirates later made it available to players, as well.

"They don't have a Justin Verlander, though. And they didn't have Dallas Keuchel. And they didn't have Brian McCann," Cole says. "Those guys played just as big a role, if not a bigger role."
Verlander, a former Cy Young award winner, spoke with Cole about perceived velocity what fastball velocity looks like to the hitter, based on a pitcher's extension, where he releases the ball. According to Statcast, Cole has improved his average perceived velocity from 95.92 mph in his final season with the Pirates to 96.13 in 2018 and 96.45 in '19.

Keuchel, another former Cy winner, explained to Cole how to tunnel pitches as well as how to make hitters lose awareness of one side of the plate and get them to expand. Right-hander Charlie Morton advised Cole on the similar transition he made to more of a four-seam/curveball type with Houston. And McCann, whom Cole regards as "one of the better catchers of all time," articulated what he saw in Cole's stuff from behind the plate, sharing more of a hitter's perspective.

"We've really opened his eyes, I think," Verlander says. "Some of it's the analytics. But a lot of it was some of the stuff I had learned through my career and Dallas had learned. All the idiosyncratic baseball knowledge of how to pitch and use your strengths. Just talking to him about his strengths.
"That's one thing they do really well here they show you your strengths. As easy as that seems, it's not. Once you know your bread-and-butter, then you can really go down this deep path of how to use that to the best of your ability."
The Milkman
AG
I'm headed up to Round Rock to catch a ballgame tonight. Any of y'all regulars there?
redline248
AG
Thanks!
bearkatag15
AG
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/yordan-alvarez-has-figured-out-this-baseball-stuff/

Great read on Yordan Alvarez and how he projects in the majors...

Quote:

So what does this all mean from a projection standpoint? Coming into the season, ZiPS projected Alvarez at .255/.315/.440, 107 wRC+, 1.0 WAR in 425 projected plate appearances (remember, ZiPS is agnostic on who teams choose to play in the majors). There were some real questions about Alvarez past his defense coming into the season. He still had limited time in the high minors, and thanks to a hand injury in 2018, still has not played 100 games in a minor league season. His Triple-A performance in 2018 was sub-scintillating, and ZiPS translated his two full minor-league years at .255/.308/.387 and .256/.319/.448.

For 2019, which includes adjustments for the increased offense in the minor leagues, ZiPS translates Alvarez's 40 games in 2019 at .342/.420/.626 with 10 home runs. That's uh good. That's not a projection, of course, but a translation of a small slice of past play. But good news, I've got one of those projection dealies!
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Marvin
AG
Meanwhile, the "we're not tankers" crowd on the other baseball thread spent time this week arguing whether the Astros or Rangers have the best lineup.

And no, I am not kidding.
bearkatag15
AG
TREX01
Section 219 tonight with the family.
Hulla Baller
AG
What happened to Seattle? Did they just give up already?

The Rangers just finished a 3 game sweep of them today. That's low.
redline248
AG
Let's see if White can continue putting the barrel on pitches
Marvin
AG
I'll be at MMP Friday night if anyone else is going. The wife will be there with a couple of girlfriends from church, so I'll be bumming around the stadium by myself- beers on me if interested.

iBrad
AG
Marvin said:

Meanwhile, the "we're not tankers" crowd on the other baseball thread spent time this week arguing whether the Astros or Rangers have the best lineup.

And no, I am not kidding.

Oh, I remember the days when we had to focus on any little positive we could find. I don't remember being as delusional, however. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they were comparing our current lineup without Altuve and Springer.
Marvin
AG
Bregman's had one multi-hit game since May 6th, and only three in the last month (since April 22). I think tonight is the night he gets it going.
bearkatag15
AG
This is pretty incredible

k20dub
AG
Holy ****
Bregxit
AG
Hulla Baller said:

Texas is a game over .500. They may suck, but they are not the dregs of the league.
Marvin
AG
dlance said:

Hulla Baller said:

Texas is a game over .500. They may suck, but they are not the dregs of the league.

I agree, they suck.
dshedd41
S
Dude, PM ME your number and I'll shoot you a text if I'm around MMP
Gig’em Aggies!
Farmer1906
AG
dlance said:

Hulla Baller said:

They're stuck. Not bad enough to rebuild. Not good enough to contend. They're so ****ed. They're going to stay in the 70-85 win range forever. We're not going to be challenged much in this division for a while. We're going to pass them in division titles the next decade even though they've been in the AL West forever.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Springer took BP today. Good sign.
Charlie Conway
Hulla Baller said:

the Astros happened to them, they started the year 13-2 and since getting swept by the Astros they have gone something like 10-24
Bregxit
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Springer took BP today. Good sign.

Maybe he'll be back along with Julia on Friday.
First Page Last Page
Page 246 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.