***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,848,598 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
SquirrellyDan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If I'm not mistaken, we still haven't won a game in which we trailed after 8 innings. Thought we got our first last night, then realized we were tied after 8.
Agnzona
And still no intentional walks.
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
expresswrittenconsent
The ringer also has a great story on JV and the HOF and his Cy chances this year today.

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2019/9/6/20851720/justin-verlander-houston-astros-no-hitter-hall-of-fame-case
Farmer1906
AG
We need to score some runs tonight. Our BP is taxed and Framer is starting.
bearkatag15
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Lunhow needs to stop giving a **** about the AAA playoffs and call up more pitchers.
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Lunhow needs to stop giving a **** about the AAA playoffs and call up more pitchers.

They brought up 3-4 guys, right?

It's funny. A poster was complaining a few pages back about why we're bringing up these guys because we're in the middle of a home field race.
AgDoc03
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Nuggets from a recent Athletic article.

On Toro's HR in the no-no

Quote:

So how rare was what Toro did? According to STATS, only once before had anybody ever homered with two outs in the ninth to give a pitcher the lead in a game in which he threw a no-hitter. That was Detroit's Vic Wertz, for Virgil Trucks, back on May 15, 1952. But that was a walk-off, in the bottom of the ninth. (There was also a Mark Smith walk-off bomb for the Pirates, with two outs in the bottom of the 10th, on July 12, 1997 but that was a Francisco Cordova/Ricardo Rincn combined no-hitter, which is a whole different feat.) In other words

When Abraham Toro went deep, it was the first time any player had ever hit a go-ahead homer with two outs in the top of the ninth, which allowed the guy on the mound to go out and get the final three outs of his no-hitter. Very cool.

And the Astros were the victim of that combined Pirates no-hitter
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Bregxit
AG
SquirrellyDan said:

If I'm not mistaken, we still haven't won a game in which we trailed after 8 innings. Thought we got our first last night, then realized we were tied after 8.

We trailed in the 12th.
SquirrellyDan
AG
That's right!
ontheedge
FYI Bearkatag and others. I enabled cookies and all the tweets and other stuff shows up. New browser.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
SquirrellyDan said:

Were trailing in the 12th

Didn't see the response above
PhatMack19
AG
Replay of last nights game is on now. They are in the top of the 12th, which is about where I passed out.
Mathguy64
AG
I bailed in the 10th last night and am watching the replay now. I didn't realize that Tucker's hit in the 12th was on 1-2 with 2 outs. And he made a great take at 0-2 not to swing. That was a great AB.
CFTXAG10
AG
mathguy86 said:

I bailed in the 10th last night and am watching the replay now. I didn't realize that Tucker's hit in the 12th was on 1-2 with 2 outs. And he made a great take at 0-2 not to swing. That was a great AB.
Especially after the first strike call!
bearkatag15
AG
Really cool situation yesterday with Colin Moran and 30 year old brother making his MLB debut:

Mathguy64
AG
14 hours later, ****ing Joe West continues to randomly call balls and strikes.
Mathguy64
AG
The immediate stare into the dugout and bat flip were gold. Very 2017esque
Ag_07
AG
Hopefully last night gives Tucker the confidence he needed to clear his head and just play ball.

I'm guessing he like some of us were having our doubts. Now he can take that momentum and run with it and show he belongs on the big league club.
redline248
AG
The Athletic's "must extend" player for Houston
Quote:

Houston Astros
George Springer, CF, free agent after 2020
Astros GM Jeff Luhnow has been doling out long-term contracts left and right over the past few years, including multi-year deals for Justin Verlander, Michael Brantley, Jos Altuve, Josh Reddick and Joe Smith. He's also had a conversation with the representatives for shortstop Carlos Correa and outfielder George Springer. Correa's back issues mean the team may want to slow down, and the fact that Gerrit Cole is determined to test free agency puts that on hold, too. However, Springer is an obvious extension candidate this offseason. At 29, he is having his best season with an impressive 150 OPS+ and 5.3 WAR to go along with 30 home runs and a career-high .389 on-base percentage. The three-time All-Star also has not only been a leader but hasn't let success change him, as he continues to set time aside for the fans, charities, and the media. His positive energy and passion for winning never subside. His two-year, $24 million deal expires at the end of the season and although he is arbitration-eligible, there's no reason not to extend him now.
astros4545
AG
AgDoc03 said:

Teddy Perkins said:

Nuggets from a recent Athletic article.

On Toro's HR in the no-no

Quote:

So how rare was what Toro did? According to STATS, only once before had anybody ever homered with two outs in the ninth to give a pitcher the lead in a game in which he threw a no-hitter. That was Detroit's Vic Wertz, for Virgil Trucks, back on May 15, 1952. But that was a walk-off, in the bottom of the ninth. (There was also a Mark Smith walk-off bomb for the Pirates, with two outs in the bottom of the 10th, on July 12, 1997 but that was a Francisco Cordova/Ricardo Rincn combined no-hitter, which is a whole different feat.) In other words

When Abraham Toro went deep, it was the first time any player had ever hit a go-ahead homer with two outs in the top of the ninth, which allowed the guy on the mound to go out and get the final three outs of his no-hitter. Very cool.

And the Astros were the victim of that combined Pirates no-hitter

Chris Holt pitched a hell of a game for us
mwm
Point: they are George's pants not Jose's pants.

However George is involved, we stand a better chance of winning.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

Hopefully last night gives Tucker the confidence he needed to clear his head and just play ball.

I'm guessing he like some of us were having our doubts. Now he can take that momentum and run with it and show he belongs on the big league club.
Some, but not all.

McInnis
AG
It's hard to believe that Tucker is six months older than Alvarez isn't it?

Sure hope Valdez can last a few innings tonight, or the bullpen is going to be screwed.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07 said:

Some, but not all.

I've been saying for years now that Tucker should be our starting RF and last night I was definitively proven right
Bregxit
AG
Deluxe said:

Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07 said:

Some, but not all.

I've been saying for years now that Tucker should be our starting RF and last night I was definitively proven right
For "years"? He was below average in 15-16 and slightly above mediocre in 17 in the minors. Tap the breaks, one good night does not a superstar make. I will concede he looks a little better this time around than last year, but he has had 9 ABs so far this time.
Farmer1906
AG
If we're allowed to roast him because he started 0-5(?) then were allowed to go absolutely nuts when he has a good game. right?

He's not going to get enough ABs to prove one way or another this year. He should have been up sooner.

If he bats .250/.295/.515/.810 in 60 ABs the rest of the year, then what? Is he on the playoff roster? He's good, not great. Is a 60 game sample size enough to put him over Reddick, Jake(D), or Straw(utl and running)?

It's a good problem to have, but I wish we would have handled him different with the huge lead in the division.
Harry Dunne
Tucker looks like a baby deer. His arms are too long for his body, he looks like he's collapsing when he swings like a middle schooler trying to swing a heavy bat. I think his knee touched the ground on both hits last night.

He had a couple of big hits last night but let's be real, he was 2 for 6 and finally got his first major league homer after 70 ABs and only his second multi hit game ever to bring his career average up to .151.

He still very young - at his age George was just getting promoted to AA ( struggling with AA pitching!), and I do think he'll be a good ballplayer but he looks to me like he needs to get a lot stronger.
Deluxe
AG
Anyone who wanted Tucker up sooner was vindicated last night. He hit a HR and drove in a game extending run. The question isn't whether or not the people who wanted Tucker up sooner were right. The question is more whether opinions of people who didn't want Tucker up sooner should ever be trusted again.
Harry Dunne
I wanted to see Tucker up sooner because why not? Who woulda thought that fan favorite Josh Reddick would be almost exclusively referred to as Reddout on this forum? I would like to have seen Tucker get a shot during that miserable stretch.

But I also think it's reaching a little bit when a guy gets 2 hits and you're ready to anoint him.
Deluxe
AG
Harry Dunne said:

I wanted to see Tucker up sooner because why not? Who woulda thought that fan favorite Josh Reddick would be almost exclusively referred to as Reddout on this forum? I would like to have seen Tucker get a shot during that miserable stretch.

But I also think it's reaching a little bit when a guy gets 2 hits and you're ready to anoint him.
If you wanted him up sooner, then you are on the right side of history.
astros4545
AG
Amazing what Tucker has done to piss so many people off

People root for him to fail, and then get further pissed when he has success
Oyster DuPree
AG
astros4545 said:

Tucker Derangement Syndrome, or "TDS"
bearkatag15
AG

Tucker elevated to 6th in the lineup
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Tucker had a great night but the guy he would replace had an equal if not better night. Reddick was 3-3 with a dong, not sure why AJ summed for Reddick instead of Ted

But kudos to Ted, I have been riding him but Reddick still finishes with a higher average and WAR
Bregxit
AG
astros4545 said:

Who is rooting for him to fail and getting pissed that he had a good night?
First Page Last Page
Page 996 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.