***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,951 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
tremble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Of the three games we lost our starting pitchers were JV, Aaron Sanchez, and Armenteros.

Cole didn't pitch and we lost the JV game by one run. I'm really not scared if we're healthy and send out JV, Cole, Greinke, and Miley in a series against the As. Are they a good team? Sure, but there's no need to panic
Andyzipp
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Ag_07 said:

So we're scared of the As now?
They beat us 3 out of 4 and then swept the Yankees. Only other team to sweep NY this season was the Astros back in early April.

Oakland is 24-12 since the All-Star break.

Don't have to be scared of a team to recognize they are playing extremely well headed towards the post-season.

Cool. We're 25-14, and we have the same 7 game lead since the All-Star break.
Farmer1906
AG
I would much much rather face Oakland than Tampa.

While Tampa's offensive average, their pitching is elite. They have the horses to go toe to toe with us even in a full 7 game series.
ontheedge
Have to play good teams to get to the big stage.
bearkatag15
AG

Sunday should be fun...
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
CFTXAG10
AG
"Oakland beat us 3/4"

One of those games was a 7-6 loss, where Aaron Sanchez pitched and imploded in the 4th inning. Hinch also deployed Rondon and Devo in that game.

One loss was 3-2 in a 13 inning game where Verlander only gave up 2 runs and struck out 11. Offense put together 9 hits and two runs. Left 19 on base. Bullpen pitched great, Sneed gave up the winning run in the B13.

One loss was 8-4 where we had to call up Rogelio Armenteros to pitch and he gave up 5 earned runs followed by Devo giving up 3.

I think Oakland is a good ball club, but they wouldn't scare me come playoff time.
Ag_07
AG
I'd be ecstatic if we matched up with OAK in the playoffs.

The starters are mediocre, we own their BP, and no one except the Matt's in their lineup scare me.

Playing them is one reason we're going to cruise to a 3rd division title in a row.

Granted we have to play good baseball but we're a much better team.
W
AG
I would also be okay with a first round matchup with the A's but for a different reason...

Hinch will rediscover the intentional walk for the ALDS and pitch around Semien, Chapman, or Olson at the appropriate time
CFTXAG10
AG
New York in the month of August (so far)

4-0 against the Red Sox
7-0 against the Orioles

2-2 against Toronto
2-2 against Cleveland
0-3 against the A's
W
AG
this is definitely the stretch to catch them and build up a lead.

the Yankees go back to the cupcakes from September 2nd to the end of the season (except for 2 games vs. the Rays)
W
AG
and speaking of the intentional walk...without Pressly and with Osuna struggling...need to have the IBB's ready for Trout if the games are close at the end
McInnis
AG
Would Peacock be a candidate to start Sunday? I think he threw about 30 pitches in his appearance the other night.
Dirty Mike and the Boys
AG
Agnzona said:

Ag_07 said:

I think if we played to win every game we'd be broken down and beat to shlt way before August

The babying of MLB players had made them weaker not stronger. That's an indisputable fact. When clubs are going to get over fear of injury and stop making it worse I don't know. You would think in this age of analytics they would know this.
How does one quantify "babying"?
Ag_07
AG
Hinch will never rediscover the IBB. Free bases just don't align with analytics.

Even the best players in the league get out 70% of the time.
astros4545
AG
Runner on third base in a tied game, with two outs and Trout batting

He better get his ass intentionally walked
The Milkman
AG
Farmer1906 said:

While Tampa's offensive average, their pitching is elite. They have the horses to go toe to toe with us even in a full 7 game series.
Charlie Morton is having a fantastic year. Yarbrough has been very good too.

After that their pitching is far from "elite". Blake Snell is very questionable to be back by the ALDS. Tyler Glasnow same thing. No idea how either of them will recover from surgeries. If they were healthy then yes it would be a formidable rotation. As it stands now and likely headed into September I dont think theres anything to worry about.
dshedd41
S
https://theathletic.com/1156622/2019/08/23/how-could-the-astros-have-handled-the-verlander-controversy-there-was-a-better-way/
Gig’em Aggies!
Bregxit
AG
dshedd14 said:

https://theathletic.com/1156622/2019/08/23/how-could-the-astros-have-handled-the-verlander-controversy-there-was-a-better-way/
Why post a link to a paywalled site? I have never understood this phenomenon.
Harry Dunne
Agnzona said:

Ag_07 said:

I think if we played to win every game we'd be broken down and beat to shlt way before August

The babying of MLB players had made them weaker not stronger. That's an indisputable fact. When clubs are going to get over fear of injury and stop making it worse I don't know. You would think in this age of analytics they would know this.
Love the "indisputable fact" on an absolutely subjective opinion. I agree with you, but it's still funny.

As someone else posted, the analytics show that the current methods (whether we call it babying, periodization, whatever) are more effective than the Cliff Gustafson style and that's both because players can perform at higher levels and maintain those levels through the postseason.

It is true that this generation's Justin Verlander will never find out he's JV because he probably won't be allowed to pitch the innings and this generation's Cal Ripken will probably play 152 games a year instead of 162 and that's too bad. Physically resilient players should be allowed to find out what their limits are without being categorically "protected"..but if you think Brokerrea and Springer and McCullers and others like them are brittle as a product of babying, then I disagree.
CSWendt
dlance said:

dshedd14 said:

Why post a link to a paywalled site? I have never understood this phenomenon.
I appreciate the link. I pay for the Athletic, but didn't know the article was up. So now I can go read it.
bearkatag15
AG
Drama in Round Rock between Guduan and Deetz

http://www.astroscounty.com/2019/08/the-reason-reymin-guduan-was-suspended.html

Quote:

So here's the situation as recounted to us, and not denied by multiple parties:

Dean Deetz is a little bit of a character, and talks a lot of smack. He was giving Reymin Guduan The Bidness about not being able to throw a strike. Guduan responded by throwing a shoe at Deetz and missed (badly, apparently), to which Deetz responded "See?" That is legitimately funny. What happened next is not. Guduan picked up a bat, swung it, and hit Deetz in the head. Guduan apparently didn't get a great swing on it, but "it definitely dazed" Deetz.

Guduan was removed from the clubhouse, but came back later, this time with a knife. "He didn't do anything with it, but he stood at his locker and glared at Deetz." No one called the police, but the Astros did suspend Guduan. That, by any standard of the law, is assault. You'll notice on Round Rock's website that Dean Deetz did not pitch between July 26 and August 5, which was a span of eight games in nine days.
Mathguy64
AG
Why has Guduan not simply been released?
Bregxit
AG
mathguy86 said:

Why has Guduan no simply been released?
Yeah seems like a no-brainer unless Lunhow is hoping to use him in a trade this offseason.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

"Oakland beat us 3/4"

One of those games was a 7-6 loss, where Aaron Sanchez pitched and imploded in the 4th inning. Hinch also deployed Rondon and Devo in that game.

One loss was 3-2 in a 13 inning game where Verlander only gave up 2 runs and struck out 11. Offense put together 9 hits and two runs. Left 19 on base. Bullpen pitched great, Sneed gave up the winning run in the B13.

One loss was 8-4 where we had to call up Rogelio Armenteros to pitch and he gave up 5 earned runs followed by Devo giving up 3.

I think Oakland is a good ball club, but they wouldn't scare me come playoff time.

I emailed your post to the A's front office. They've agreed to forfeit all three games.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Quote:

Dean Deetz is a little bit of a character, and talks a lot of smack. He was giving Reymin Guduan The Bidness about not being able to throw a strike. Guduan responded by throwing a shoe at Deetz and missed (badly, apparently), to which Deetz responded "See?" That is legitimately funny. What happened next is not. Guduan picked up a bat, swung it, and hit Deetz in the head. Guduan apparently didn't get a great swing on it, but "it definitely dazed" Deetz.

Guduan was removed from the clubhouse, but came back later, this time with a knife. "He didn't do anything with it, but he stood at his locker and glared at Deetz." No one called the police, but the Astros did suspend Guduan. That, by any standard of the law, is assault. You'll notice on Round Rock's website that Dean Deetz did not pitch between July 26 and August 5, which was a span of eight games in nine days.

How did someone not call the cops? Assault, followed by threatening behavior.
astros4545
AG
He's a BadJuan
Deluxe
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Quote:

Competition for next to be cut from the 40 getting a little intense!
Farmer1906
AG
The Milkman said:

Farmer1906 said:

Charlie Morton is having a fantastic year. Yarbrough has been very good too.

After that their pitching is far from "elite". Blake Snell is very questionable to be back by the ALDS. Tyler Glasnow same thing. No idea how either of them will recover from surgeries. If they were healthy then yes it would be a formidable rotation. As it stands now and likely headed into September I dont think theres anything to worry about.
They're both supposed to be back mid-Sept. If they come back healthy then that is a very tough 1-4, maybe 1-3 if they move Glasnow to the pen. Pagan & Roe have been great out of the pen too. I'd put them clearly above everyone not named the Dodgers or Astros.

I would put them right up there with Minny for #4 team in baseball.

bearkatag15
AG

These uniforms are dumb
W
AG
speaking of Mike Trout...

he is a .400 hitter lifetime vs. Greinke (6 for 15) and only drawn 1 walk.

Trout is 0 for 5 lifetime vs. Osuna...so Roberto can go after him in the 9th
W
AG
it will be tempting to go back to the Alpha Mike this weekend (aka radio dial).

the Astros will look okay in white, but the Angels in black?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Going to my first game tomorrow in 3-1/2 years. Only Astro gear is my 2007 Hunter Pence jersey. To wear or not to wear?
YellAg2004
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Going to my first game tomorrow in 3-1/2 years. Only Astro gear is my 2007 Hunter Pence jersey. To wear or not to wear?
Go to Academy and get you something orange or blue.
Liquid Wrench
MuckRaker96 said:

Why not?
First Page Last Page
Page 917 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.