***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,955 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Mr.Ackar07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bearkatag15 said:

Is Stassi that much of an upgrade over Lucroy?
Farmer1906
AG
Jake ended his career.
Ag_07
AG
Jake knocked Lucroy all the way into the unemployment line.
Faustus
Beat40 said:

Teddy Perkins said:

The squat celebration!

It's nice to see Alex having fun!

Probably the last Straw on that particular celebration.
Harry Dunne
Farmer1906 said:

Water Turkey07 said:

Pitch him game 3 in Dodger stadium and that should line him up to pitch a possible game 7.
I think this is the year they miss the WS. They're the best team in the NL, no doubt, but going to the WS 3 years in a row is so rare.
Definitely. It's extremely rare to make it even twice in a row. They are the best team in the NL and the heavy favorite, but anything can happen. I'd like to know how often the team with the best record makes the WS but I'd guess it's less than half...but I think it has more to do with the unpredictability of the playoffs than with the streak. IMO if anything the experience of having made it the last 2 seasons helps their guys have confidence in those situations and makes them more likely to repeat.

Fact: Only 2 teams have lost 3 WS in a row and it hasn't happened since 1913.

gougler08
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Here is a look at Houston's contract situation going forward. Pretty good breakdown.

Crane has done exactly like he said, really ponied up the cash when we got competitive
Harry Dunne
Ag_07 said:

Jake knocked Lucroy all the way into the unemployment line.
Jake's buddy Max Stassi owes him a steak dinner.
CSWendt
I think the Dodger's make the WS again this year. The NL is just so mediocre in it's teams. It's not like the AL where you have 2 or 3 100 win teams each year. The NL has the dodgers at 100+ wins and everyone else in the low 90s. It's similar to Lebron in Cleveland making the finals largely just due to the mediocre teams.
. . .
Alex Bregman
AG
. . . said:

Money well spent
Harry Dunne
Faustus said:

Beat40 said:

Teddy Perkins said:

The squat celebration!

I'd rather not see this celebration again unless Kate is involved.
Ag_07
AG
Like I said earlier...They'll always have money to spend and they'll always spend it horribly.

They have the best player in history and have managed to not be able to field a competitive team.
n_touch
Faustus said:

Beat40 said:

Teddy Perkins said:

The squat celebration!

Mr.Ackar07
Ag_07 said:

Like I said earlier...They'll always have money to spend and they'll always spend it horribly.

They have the best player in history and have managed to not be able to field a competitive team.
And these come on the heels of the Angels paying Josh Hamilton $63 million to play for the Rangers from 2015-2017, and still owing Pujols $59 million to try and walk to first base for the next 2 years when he is aged 39 and 40.
DVC2010
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Water Turkey07 said:

Pitch him game 3 in Dodger stadium and that should line him up to pitch a possible game 7.
I think this is the year they miss the WS. They're the best team in the NL, no doubt, but going to the WS 3 years in a row is so rare.

Gambler's fallacy
Beat40
Harry Dunne said:

Farmer1906 said:

Water Turkey07 said:

Definitely. It's extremely rare to make it even twice in a row. They are the best team in the NL and the heavy favorite, but anything can happen. I'd like to know how often the team with the best record makes the WS but I'd guess it's less than half...but I think it has more to do with the unpredictability of the playoffs than with the streak. IMO if anything the experience of having made it the last 2 seasons helps their guys have confidence in those situations and makes them more likely to repeat.

Fact: Only 2 teams have lost 3 WS in a row and it hasn't happened since 1913.

I think the Mets could make it interesting. They are 4 games out of the WC right now, but have to jump at least 5 teams (Nationals/Cubs/Philies (all tied for WC right now), Brewers, Giants, and Diamondbacks). Their rotation currently consists of Degromm, Wheeler, Thor, and Stroman. If they can grab a WC spot and make it into the NLDS, that rotation is pretty salty in a 5 game series.
Faustus
Not that I give it credence, but this site actually likes the Braves over the Dodgers given Atlanta's moves to shore up their bullpen.

The Dodgers are still the team to beat in the NL, but the Braves are playing well, have the record to show for it, and improved their team at the deadline.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thebiglead.com/2019/08/01/mlb-power-rankings-world-series-rankings-trade-deadline/amp/
Agmaniacmike12
If the Braves starting rotation pitches up to their potential, then they are a strong competitor vs. the Dodgers.

Soroka has been great. Teheran/Keuchel/Fried are solid.

They really need Folty to return to last year's form.

I also think the Braves will be NL contenders for a long time to come. They have a great young nucleus and a strong farm system.

W
AG
bearkatag15 said:

that is cold blooded. Players union probably not too happy
W
AG
I expect the Dodgers to cruise to the world series
W
AG
. . . said:

this is how it feels to be the Patriots in the AFC East.

just awesome to have incompetent front offices (Angels) in your division (AL West).

and the Rangers and Mariners aren't too far behind
Phrasing
AG
Faustus said:

Beat40 said:

Teddy Perkins said:

The squat celebration!

So bad it worked, I got a good chuckle - well done.
astros4545
AG
What is the tiebreaker for home field advantage in WS?

If same record between al and nl
Farmer1906
AG
astros4545 said:

If the two pennant winners go into the Fall Classic with identical regular-season records, the first tiebreaker will be head-to-head record in the regular season. If the teams did not play during the season during Interleague Play, the tiebreaker would go to the team with the better overall record against teams in its own division. If that were also a tie, the tiebreaker would be intraleague records (the NL club's record vs. NL teams and the AL team's record vs. AL teams).
Harry Dunne
1 & 3 make sense. 2 is stupid.

What does an AL team's record against their own division and an NL's against theirs have anything to do with each other?
bearkatag15
AG

New pitchers on the lineup card tonight fellas...
Prosperdick
AG
bearkatag15 said:

New pitchers on the lineup card tonight fellas...
Yuli with the day off...
n_touch
Alright everyone, I got a case of cups and are heading up to get more shortly. I am going to try and send everyone a PM, if you don't get one, let me know.
Post removed:
by user
CFTXAG10
AG
n_touch said:

Alright everyone, I got a case of cups and are heading up to get more shortly. I am going to try and send everyone a PM, if you don't get one, let me know.

Appreciated.
R-Dog
AG
Farmer1906 said:

astros4545 said:

If the two pennant winners go into the Fall Classic with identical regular-season records, the first tiebreaker will be head-to-head record in the regular season. If the teams did not play during the season during Interleague Play, the tiebreaker would go to the team with the better overall record against teams in its own division. If that were also a tie, the tiebreaker would be intraleague records (the NL club's record vs. NL teams and the AL team's record vs. AL teams).
That seems so stupid. You would think if they didn't play during the regular season, you would go with INTERLEAGUE record...how the AL champ did against the NL and how the NL champ did against the AL. Or an even better way would be to take which league won the more interleague games overall. At least then you are placing a value on the strength of the league as a whole. If both are 104-58, home field should go to whichever team played in the tougher league and that would seem to be the best way, although still not a great way, to value that.

INTRALEAGUE is just as stupid as taking the divisional records...they aren't comparable.
Beat40
I like to imagine AJ smiling a little bit as he penned Greinke's name in that SP line.
Mr President Elect
AG
I never understood why record against common opponents is not higher on the tie-breaker list in all sports.
n_touch
If you wanted a tumbler and can not get PM, my email is in my profile. Just shoot me an email.
DVC2010
AG
R-Dog said:

Farmer1906 said:

astros4545 said:

That seems so stupid. You would think if they didn't play during the regular season, you would go with INTERLEAGUE record...how the AL champ did against the NL and how the NL champ did against the AL. Or an even better way would be to take which league won the more interleague games overall. At least then you are placing a value on the strength of the league as a whole. If both are 104-58, home field should go to whichever team played in the tougher league and that would seem to be the best way, although still not a great way, to value that.

INTRALEAGUE is just as stupid as taking the divisional records...they aren't comparable.

Second tiebreaker should be whichever league won the all star game.if you're going to toss a coin, at least make it a fun coin.
First Page Last Page
Page 755 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.