***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,308 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
rausr said:

Imagine how Brantley feels...

Pretty sure he DGAF

He's a pro's pro and not the type who needs or even likes the individual accolades.
Ag12thman
AG
Wow. Gotta be kidding me. It was Brantley's.
bearkatag15
AG
https://www.mlb.com/news/noah-syndergaard-trade-possibilities

Quote:

Some within the Astros organization are intrigued by the possibility of acquiring Syndergaard, a hard-throwing Texan who could replace Gerrit Cole in future rotations if Cole leaves as a free agent this winter. Syndergaard is earning $6 million this season and is due to receive a raise in 2020, the first year he'll be eligible for arbitration.

Of the three Houston pitchers to have thrown more than 100 innings this season, only Justin Verlander is under contract to the club for 2020; Cole and left-hander Wade Miley are set to become free agents.

Syndergaard could potentially net a return similar to the packages that were dealt last year for Cole and Chris Archer, who, like Syndergaard, had two or more years of team control remaining.

In January 2018, the Pirates sent Cole to the Astros in exchange for right-hander Joe Musgrove, third baseman Colin Moran, reliever Michael Feliz and Minor League outfielder Jason Martin, who debuted this season and is rated as the organization's No. 8 prospect, per MLB Pipeline. Cole has since emerged as one of the American League's premier arms, making the All-Star team in each of the last two seasons.

Yes please... Give up a similar package as we did to get Cole but this time getting Thor? All day
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Man this is tough to listen to. I feel like if Lunhow wouldn't have tried to low ball him he would have come back.

More from the interview:

I will always love you, Chuck.
AustinCountyAg
Anyone just catch the Coke interview after the AS game on fox 26 with mark Berman? When asked about his upcoming ***ency he mumbled around everything about how billionaires know how to negotiate and he's earned the right to test the market and play where he wants to play etc. all true facts but his demeanor saying it all was **** Houston and every other team that don't want to make me the highest paid pitcher. The dude is gone from Htown. All he is caring about his the money.
Farmer1906
AG
This seems short sided. Because he cares about getting paid means that's all he cares about?
AustinCountyAg
Maybe u can find a link from berman. I get what you're saying and I agree. My point is more along the lines of it doesn't sound like he will be taking a discount or team friendly deal to remain here.
Farmer1906
AG
Why should that be expected? What does he owe to Houston?
Farmer1906
AG
The link was posted a page or 3 back.
n_touch
Everything, we sent a rescue team and got him out of Pittsburgh
Farmer1906
AG
Based on everything I've read he loved it in Pittsburgh. He's holding up his end of the bargain here. He's been fantastic.
BMX Bandit
It was always a LONG shot Cole stayed here. Hope he goes out a World Series hero
bearkatag15
AG

Gross. Framber is not how I wanted the 2nd half to start
3B Paul 97
AG
I think AJ reads this thread and likes ****ing with some of ya'll.
AustinCountyAg
Farmer1906 said:

he doesn't owe Houston anything, however if he shoots down a contract with the Astros simply because it isn't the highest offer he might receive is ridiculous IMO.

It's already fact the he will sign for hundreds of millions of dollars, but if it comes down to staying in Houston or going to play in Miami where they suck for a little bit more cash would be a shame. I just hope he is at least open minded when the time comes.
bearkatag15
AG
Nevermind misread what you wrote
Mr.Bond
AG
California is supposedly his preferred destination. But if money is a driving factor, we will be able to offer substantially less given the ridiculous tax brackets out there...... Of which I don't feel many athletes take into consideration
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

BCSGrubber
AG
It will be turning down Houston for a California destination most likely
The Milkman
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Farmer1906 said:

he doesn't owe Houston anything, however if he shoots down a contract with the Astros simply because it isn't the highest offer he might receive is ridiculous IMO.

It's already fact the he will sign for hundreds of millions of dollars, but if it comes down to staying in Houston or going to play in Miami where they suck for a little bit more cash would be a shame. I just hope he is at least open minded when the time comes.
He wont be turning us down for Miami. It'll be Anaheim, LA, San Diego, New York or Boston.
Johnsy3
AG
Mr.Bond said:

California is supposedly his preferred destination. But if money is a driving factor, we will be able to offer substantially less given the ridiculous tax brackets out there...... Of which I don't feel many athletes take into consideration

Hopefully we can offer him a similar amount of money and we don't make him balk like CFM.
If he turns us down then he just really wants to go home to CA.
bearkatag15
AG
McTaggart is on a AJ Reed rampage this morning. Straight up arguing with Robert Ford about Reed.
Farmer1906
AG
Ford is a good dude and Tag kind of came off as an Internet tough guy. Regardless, I agreed with Tag's take. He wasn't blocked so much as he didn't perform when given an opportunity then declined in AAA.
Ag_07
AG
Or he wants or has offers that are above his value

Like we've discussed before Luhnow and his staff are adamant about sticking to their valuations of players and aren't afraid to let guys walk when they're asking for anything over their valuation.

That goes for handing out contracts to guys and making trades with teams.

They're good at what they do and they'll only spend smart money. Once they see that it's not smart they'll back off and move on.
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906
AG
I agree, but that doesn't make them perfect. I'd say CFM is on pace to be easily worth it even if he is mediocre next year.
CFTXAG10
AG
bearkatag15 said:

McTaggart is on a AJ Reed rampage this morning. Straight up arguing with Robert Ford about Reed.

Dang McT
Teddy Perkins
AG
Is this posturing to put pressure on interested teams with the deadline on the horizon?
Mr.Bond
AG
bearkatag15 said:

What is there to argue? The dude f****** sucked at AAA
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

KC_Ag14
AG
Back for the second half! The resilience they showed after the losing skid should not go overlooked. This team is poised for another run. Anxious to see what Luhnow and company have in the works. An arm will be added, 100%. Here's to good health and production w/ RISP
Ag_07
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I agree, but that doesn't make them perfect. I'd say CFM is on pace to be easily worth it even if he is mediocre next year.

Charlie is on a 3 year deal at 15 mil per.

He'll need to stay healthy all 3 years to make him worth it. I have no problem on them not committing to 3 years of Charlie.

And you're right that they're not perfect but I don't think not signing Charlie is proof of that. They were scared of the 3 year commitment given his injury history and that's justifiable.

Not extending a QO was them not being perfect.
Ag_07
AG
And more Whitley is immature smoke and this doesn't sound very promising.

Quote:

• Unlike Gore, fellow high-end pitching prospect Forrest Whitley has failed to impress in 2019, Josh Norris of Baseball America observes. In addition to posting horrific numbers and battling injuries with the Astros' Triple-A affiliate this season, Whitley has shown serious immaturity and underwhelming stuff on the mound, evaluators have told Norris. The 21-year-old did enter the season as the youngest player in the Pacific Coast League, though, Norris points out.

Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Charlie is on a 3 year deal at 15 mil per.

He'll need to stay healthy all 3 years to make him worth it. I have no problem on them not committing to 3 years of Charlie.

And you're right that they're not perfect but I don't think not signing Charlie is proof of that. They were scared of the 3 year commitment given his injury history and that's justifiable.

Not extending a QO was them not being perfect.

Not quite. It's only a 3 year 45 M deal if he stays healthy. He gets real cheap in year 3 if he's unhealthy in year 1 and 2.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/tampa-bay-rays/charlie-morton-7491/
dshedd41
S
MLB players are furious, willing to strike over economic system: 'We're all united'

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2019/07/10/mlb-all-stars-strike-cba/1690983001/
Gig’em Aggies!
n_touch
It is the last thing baseball needs and the players know this as well. They will only hurt themselves for years to come if they strike now.
Frok
AG
I understand the frustration of holding players in the minors in order to extend control. That's what happened to Yordan this year.

But I have no sympathy for their complaint about free agency. Stupid stupid money was thrown out at Machado and Harper this past off-season yet they are still whining like something awful happened.
First Page Last Page
Page 546 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.