***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

3,743,845 Views | 74451 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by PSully97
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks, missed that.
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Correa weighs in

bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
redline248 said:


Last year there were 27 players who hit 30+ HRs.
2017 there were 41.
2016 there were 38.
2015 there were 19
2014 there were 11
2013 there were 14

Seems like the ball this year is version 2 of the juiced ball era. If Correa is trying to say the increase in HRs is due to players working harder in the gym and in the cage then he is clueless. Numbers don't like. You don't go from the mid-teens to the 30s and 40s to the 70s in 30+ HR hitters in the course of 5 years.
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15 said:

redline248 said:


Last year there were 27 players who hit 30+ HRs.
2017 there were 41.
2016 there were 38.
2015 there were 19
2014 there were 11
2013 there were 14

Seems like the ball this year is version 2 of the juiced ball era. If Correa is trying to say the increase in HRs is due to players working harder in the gym and in the cage then he is clueless. Numbers don't like. You don't go from the mid-teens to the 30s and 40s to the 70s in 30+ HR hitters in the course of 5 years.


Already 34 players with at least 20, right now.
mazag08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Correa needs to keep his mouth shut until he decides to play more than half a season instead of his pre-scheduled two months off.
Bregxit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15 said:

redline248 said:


Last year there were 27 players who hit 30+ HRs.
2017 there were 41.
2016 there were 38.
2015 there were 19
2014 there were 11
2013 there were 14

Seems like the ball this year is version 2 of the juiced ball era. If Correa is trying to say the increase in HRs is due to players working harder in the gym and in the cage then he is clueless. Numbers don't like. You don't go from the mid-teens to the 30s and 40s to the 70s in 30+ HR hitters in the course of 5 years.
This year at the all-star break:

3 at 30+
9 at 25+
34 at 20+

Current league average per 600 PA is 22.
2018 was 18
2017 was 20
2016 was 18

Bregxit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15 said:

redline248 said:


Last year there were 27 players who hit 30+ HRs.
2017 there were 41.
2016 there were 38.
2015 there were 19
2014 there were 11
2013 there were 14

Seems like the ball this year is version 2 of the juiced ball era. If Correa is trying to say the increase in HRs is due to players working harder in the gym and in the cage then he is clueless. Numbers don't like. You don't go from the mid-teens to the 30s and 40s to the 70s in 30+ HR hitters in the course of 5 years.
What's funny is Correa's dumbass line is what the apologists were saying during the tainted era.
Harry Dunne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That's true. What's funny is that people also accused the balls of being juiced before we found out it was the players.

Could the players be juicing again?

Bregxit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Harry Dunne said:

That's true. What's funny is that people also accused the balls of being juiced before we found out it was the players.

Could the players be juicing again?


Could be (probably are) but that is another discussion. There is evidence and acknowledgement from the league that the balls are different with up to an extra 9 feet of carry. The only "question" remaining is, why?.
Harry Dunne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For more HR. Can there be any other answer?

Probably worried that the shift was going to stagnate offense so they gave them a little extra kick.
mazag08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dlance said:

Harry Dunne said:

That's true. What's funny is that people also accused the balls of being juiced before we found out it was the players.

Could the players be juicing again?


Could be (probably are) but that is another discussion. There is evidence and acknowledgement from the league that the balls are different with up to an extra 9 feet of carry. The only "question" remaining is, why?.
Global warming.

Balls don't fly as far in cold weather.
Bregxit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Harry Dunne said:

For more HR. Can there be any other answer?

Probably worried that the shift was going to stagnate offense so they gave them a little extra kick.


By why, I think all the pitchers want is for the league to come out and say, "Yeah, we had the ball enhanced in XYZ way." Pretty sure they'd stop *****ing then.

JV's beef is that everyone knows it has happened, knows the reason it happened, but the league keeps saying "We didn't have anything changed, though something is different. We own the ball making company but have no idea what they're doing."

I agree with him and other pitchers. Admit they changed the ball. Then we know. I am not happy about it but it would be out there. My reasoning for not being happy about it is because home runs used to feel special, exciting. Now they're expected every at-bat. Ho hum bah humbug.
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dlance said:

bearkatag15 said:




Seems like the ball this year is version 2 of the juiced ball era. If Correa is trying to say the increase in HRs is due to players working harder in the gym and in the cage then he is clueless. Numbers don't like. You don't go from the mid-teens to the 30s and 40s to the 70s in 30+ HR hitters in the course of 5 years.
What's funny is Correa's dumbass line is what the apologists were saying during the tainted era.
my thoughts exactly. The favorite lines from the steroid era:

"I rededicated myself in the weight room"
or
"I hired a new personal trainer"

everybody knew back then what that really meant
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well bye... pretty obvious what his intentions are

Buck Compton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If he leaves, that's fine. Hopefully we win one with him before he goes.

I can't blame guys for taking the largest offer.

Also, that interview doesn't even seem to indicate he is leaving in any specific direction.
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not really bye...More like 'Pay me more than everyone else and I'll say yes'.

Which he's right in that he's earned it after 6 years. Don't blame him
EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pretty much comes down to either paying Springer or paying Cole. Personally, I'd rather see them pay Springer.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Well bye... pretty obvious what his intentions are




He, like Colin, is very pro player rights. He's going to test the market and get paid. Good for him.
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
yep, he gone.

I give Cole credit for making his intentions known. No mystery there.

hopefully he does not end up in Anaheim.

not sure how much money the Yankees and Red Sox have left
iBrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anaheim is where I've thought he'd end up. He and his family love SoCal.
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Pretty much comes down to either paying Springer or paying Cole. Personally, I'd rather see them pay Springer.


I think we will trade for a SP with a year or 2 of control and then pay Springer and let Cole walk. Roll with JV, LMJ, Miley and new pitcher via trade next year
sts7049
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
be interesting to see how he plays FA... given what's been happening over the past couple years. does he look for a long term contract or is he ok with a shorter deal. if it's the latter i think we have more of a chance.
CFTXAG10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Pretty much comes down to either paying Springer or paying Cole. Personally, I'd rather see them pay Springer.


I think we will trade for a SP with a year or 2 of control and then pay Springer and let Cole walk. Roll with JV, LMJ, Miley and new pitcher via trade next year


That sounds great actually. I selfishly want Cole but understand he wants a payday.
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What's happened in the past won't have a bearing on him.

He's the best starter to hit FA in a while.
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
the Pujols contract finally comes to an end after the 2021 season.

so if the Angels can handle 2 years of massive payroll, Cole would be a great fit
sts7049
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
kimbrel was probably the best reliever in the game and you saw how that worked out for him. keuchel is not in the same tier as cole but he was an extremely productive starter.

i think the long term big money long term deals will mainly be reserved for only the likes of trout, judge, etc. i don't see cole quite in that echelon.
The Milkman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
W said:

yep, he gone.

I give Cole credit for making his intentions known. No mystery there.

hopefully he does not end up in Anaheim.

not sure how much money the Yankees and Red Sox have left


Yeah I would much rather this kind of statement than the typical "I really like it in Houston and hope we can stay". Then when he leaves it's the fault of the team for not making a good enough offer but he gets to look like a good guy to the local fans for "wanting to stay".

Respect for saying "I'm going to take the best offer I can get"
superaggie73
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can we give him a qualifying offer like we did with Keuchel and should have done with Morton. Would be good to get an extra draft pick out of it.
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes I think we can.

He doesn't have 10 and 5 rights and he's hasn't had one offered to him before.

Think those are the two restrictions that can block a QO from being offered.
titanmaster_race
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Having a live band play a ton of cover songs during the lineups is super weird.
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just start the GD baseball game already.

FCK...
Bregxit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JV with the K...and Freeman is funny
zgood10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Love the batter mic
rausr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JV 1-2-3!
sts7049
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
this mic on a live at bat is brilliant