***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,848,249 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
MAROON
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JABQ04 said:

Man, the baseball experts are out in full force on Twitter. What a bunch of **** waffles out there. Hope Lucroy is ok.
Twitter is the meeting point of all the village idiots around the world.
Post removed:
by user
W
AG
like others have said...the situation is very similar to the college football targeting rule.

the collision was so violent...MLB was going to do something against Jake and the Astros...regardless of where the true fault belongs
JABQ04
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Moving on.

Here is my hot take of the day. If Bregman loses to Joc Pederson then I think we need to demote him to AAA.

Joc Peserson is a dewsh canoe. I want Bregs to win 100%, but if he get taken out I'd rather anyone other than Peserson.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG
Alex up next on the DA show! National Show so tune in 650 AM
irish pete ag06
AG
My final thought on Jake. If meant to truck him he would have led with his left shoulder at the angle he was at and not exposed his head to contact.
mazag08
AG
Listened to MLB Network on the way to work. They were aqctually extremely reasonable, saying that it looked like Jake made a calculated decision to dive left and swipe the bag and that the ball took Lucory on his path. They kept saying that Jake ALWAYS dives head first and that he's not a dirty player and didnt mean to do create a collision. Even said that by the letter of the law Lucroy was blocking the plate, but you cant blame him because he had to go there to attempt to catch the throw. They all agreed it was an unfortunate faultless play.

But they then said that the rule SHOULD be that you always have to slide. My defense to that is that if you want that.. then the catcher is not allowed to remove his helmet. If you're going to force the runner to slide into an out, then the catcher shouldn't be able to fling aside his best protection.
Just an Ag
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

My final thought on Jake. If meant to truck him he would have led with his left shoulder at the angle he was at and not exposed his head to contact.

My final thought... The catcher has inside position, he is standing right where he is supposed to stand to receive the ball. The catcher moved up the line to field the ball, maintaining his inside position. Jake misread the movement. He zigged when he should've zagged. Nothing malicious about it, and I have no problem with the ruling, time to move on.
iBrad
AG
mazag08 said:

Listened to MLB Network on the way to work. They were aqctually extremely reasonable, saying that it looked like Jake made a calculated decision to dive left and swipe the bag and that the ball took Lucory on his path. They kept saying that Jake ALWAYS dives head first and that he's not a dirty player and didnt mean to do create a collision. Even said that by the letter of the law Lucroy was blocking the plate, but you cant blame him because he had to go there to attempt to catch the throw. They all agreed it was an unfortunate faultless play.

But they then said that the rule SHOULD be that you always have to slide. My defense to that is that if you want that.. then the catcher is not allowed to remove his helmet. If you're going to force the runner to slide into an out, then the catcher shouldn't be able to fling aside his best protection.

I disagree with them that the throw caused Lucroy to slide to his right and drop to his knees. It was a one-hop easy pick and tag throw. Lucroy was positioned how every catcher is taught, giving the runner the back half of the plate. It was the perfect throw to pick and drop the tag on the runner. But Jake went inside and Lucroy reacted, probably instinctively, as there wasn't much time to think on either of their parts. What Lucroy did put himself in a worse position to field that hop.

And putting rules around what's a legal slide at home would be stupid, but given the direction baseball is headed, I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen.
jetch17
AG
Look like ill be able to catch the Hooks playing out in Midland this week while out there on business
03_Aggie
n_touch said:

You can see where Jake decides to go to the inside, the blur of the ball bouncing seems that it will take the catcher to the outside. Lucroy may not be blocking the plate, but he sure does move to block him from taking the route he chose.

**not my images, I grabbed them from twitter

That's my thought. You can see Jake cut inside once Lucroy starts to extend is mitt hand further outside the baseline. Problem was he then decided to lean inside the base line.
CFTXAG10
AG
astros4545
AG

More fleas on the nutsack of society
k20dub
AG
astros4545 said:

More fleas on the nutsack of society
Bregman: "good luck destroying that work of art"
Prosperdick
AG
Would be nice if Yelich said something positive about Jake at the ASG as I think it would go a long way to establish Jake's character coming from a past roommate (but not an Astro) who has some serious clout in the league.
Dirty Mike and the Boys
AG
"Good luck destroying that work of art."

W
AG
bottom of the 8th underway on the ATTsports game replay
3B Paul 97
AG
W said:

Let me know if they call Jake safe this time.
W
AG
one ironic thing...during Yordan's at-bat right after the wild pitch...Lance said "Lucroy's had a tough day back there"

foreshadowing what was to come 3 batters later
Kashchei
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

O/U the number of bombs he gives up?
Farmer1906
AG
redline248
AG
Cora told him he's an opener, so looks like 1 inning. What is the NL lineup? I'll say under
Farmer1906
AG
NATIONAL LEAGUE
1. Christian Yelich, Brewers, LF
2. Javier Bez, Cubs, SS
3. Freddie Freeman, Braves 1B
4. Cody Bellinger, Dodgers, RF
5. Nolan Arenado, Rockies, 3B
6. Josh Bell, Pirates DH
7. Willson Contreras, Cubs, C
8. Ketel Marte, Diamondbacks 2B
9. Ronald Acua Jr., Braves CF

Farmer1906
AG
AMERICAN LEAGUE
1. George Springer, Astros RF
2. DJ LeMahieu, Yankees, 2B
3. Mike Trout, Angels, CF
4. Carlos Santana, Indians, 1B
5. J.D. Martinez, Red Sox, DH
6. Alex Bregman, Astros, 3B
7. Gary Snchez, Yankees, C
8. Michael Brantley, Astros, LF
9. Jorge Polanco, Twins, SS
NATIONAL LEAGUE
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Harry Dunne
2nd round draft pick, just turned 26, averaged 30+ HR & 110+ RBI last 3 years in the minors...if you're a team like the White Sox why not kick the tires? Was a pretty decent LHP in college too.

Based on the tons of Ks and low average in AAA I doubt he will ever be a good major league hitter but they are in a position to be patient.
redline248
AG
Did Yelich take JV deep in Houston? I may revise my prediction
suburban cowboy
AG
My final thoughts:

Jake did nothing wrong.

Lucroy consciously chose to block the plate and got hit. The pussification of baseball is real.
bearkatag15
AG

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/07/twins-trade-rumors-ken-giles-blue-jays-kirby-yates-padres.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Please do this Twins...
BullSprig07
AG
W said:

Just watched at Luby's on Telephone/Gulf Freeway. Every dude in the place yelled "BOOM" right as it happened.

Now go ahead and make fun of me eating lunch at Luby's.
Harry Dunne
Lu Ann platter. Respect.
AgDoc03
AG
Water Turkey07 said:

W said:

Just watched at Luby's on Telephone/Gulf Freeway. Every dude in the place yelled "BOOM" right as it happened.

Now go ahead and make fun of me eating lunch at Luby's.
Pretty sure after 2PM at Luby's it's called dinner.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CFTXAG10
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Lu Ann platter. Respect.
(This post has been brought to you by Tyler White)
ClickClack
AG
Disappointed in Ausmus

Quote:

"It certainly didn't look like a clean play," Ausmus said. "I don't know what actually happened. It looked like Marisnick took a step to the left and bowled into him with his arm up. The call was right. Major League Baseball should probably take a look at it and consider some type of suspension, quite frankly."

Marisnick:

Quote:

"First and foremost I hope he's OK," Marisnick said. "That was a bad play. For me, I was running and I see him take a step kind of up the line like he's going to drop and go back so I tried to take an in-step and slide head first on the inside corner. And I watched the play again and it looks like he just drops right in front of me and once I kind of made a decision it was too late. And it was a bad play, and I hope he's OK."

Hinch:

Quote:

"The ruling is that he deviated from his path," Hinch said. "And by the letter of the law and looking at it, it looked like [Marisnick] was coming down the line going as fast as he can and had to make a decision on whether to go left or right. As Lucroy was going to field the ball, he was either going to step in foul territory or you're going to hug the line in fair territory. And they both picked the same area. That is why the rule was made, to avoid those collisions. I don't fault Jake, because he wasn't hunting him, he wasn't going after him."

https://www.mlb.com/news/jonathan-lucroy-injured-in-collision-at-home
First Page Last Page
Page 534 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.