***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,923 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
ontheedge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We have people that can swing sticks. Realizing we need pitching help, how does that help with the numbers being stranded on base?
CFTXAG10
AG
ontheedge said:

We have people that can swing sticks. Realizing we need pitching help, how does that help with the numbers being stranded on base?
Whats more likely: We start scoring more runs or the bottom of the rotation magically figures it out?
Charlie Conway
grass needs sun to grow, I'm sure the Astros organization would rather the roof be stuck open than stuck closed
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
My office has a view of the stadium, it's often open on game day and closed a few hours beforehand. Grass needs that sunlight, ask Arizona rolling turf platform.
Ag_07
AG
ontheedge said:

The offensive struggles are the outlier. The pitching struggles have been the norm for awhile.

We're not talking about just one bad start that's a blip on the radar (ie Cole's 0.2 IP performance in TEX). McHugh sucked over multiple starts and lost his rotation spot. Same for Peacock. These guys have proven their better suited for BP. Framber has shown flashes but just can't seem to put it together.

And as we've seen there's no pitching help from anywhere within the organization.

BigPuma
AG
Ag_07 said:

ontheedge said:

The offensive struggles are the outlier. The pitching struggles have been the norm for awhile.

We're not talking about just one bad start that's a blip on the radar (ie Cole's 0.2 IP performance in TEX). McHugh sucked over multiple starts and lost his rotation spot. Same for Peacock. These guys have proven their better suited for BP. Framber has shown flashes but just can't seem to put it together.

And as we've seen there's no pitching help from anywhere within the organization.

Or the help is on the DL.....

But yes we need another freaking SP
W
AG
fair to wonder if the 'stros pitching woes will make (or force) the front office to go ahead and give Cole a big offer (in the offseason).

6 years $175 MM or so.

and of course that would have major implications down the line for Springer and Correa. (i.e. wearing a different uniform)
n_touch
Correa already has a problem moving forward. This latest injury had to sour the club on giving him a big long term deal.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
I think Springer is a must sign. He's the heart of the clubhouse.
W
AG
oh yes, it's a long shot that Correa will play in Houston after he hits free agency...for a variety of reasons.

Springer is the one that would be impacted the most if the front office goes all-in to retain Cole. Won't be much money left for George at that point
Ag_07
AG
W said:

Won't be much money left for George at that point

But it wouldn't surprise me to see Crane open his pocket, increase the budget, and let Luhnow do his thing.

Only worry I would have is creeping up on the luxury tax threshold.
W
AG
hypothetically...if both Cole and Springer are retained...

2021 would be the season where 6 players are combining for about $140 MM in payroll.

that doesn't leave a lot for the other 19 roster spots.

however immediate relief would be coming in 2022 with JV's departure

CFTXAG10
AG

TREX01
What you hope is that you can somehow pull off another WS in the next 3 years, Crane decides to have a huge 2021 payroll and then start figuring out where you starting 2022. Reddick, Yuli, Brantley come off the books for 2021 so that gives you some flexibility and enough to roll into George plus another player. If they could get Cole for 4 years that would be best. Diaz doesn't become a FA until '23 so that could become a huge bonus for us moving forward. After that you are hoping for tucker and alvarez to be the real deal because that will carry you through the life of Tuve and Bregmans contracts.
Farmer1906
AG
Fuuuuuuuuuck

spadilly
S
Mathguy64
AG
Did he hurt his shoulder while turning and watching the balls fly out the other day?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
I swear, it could be raining dollar bills and we'd come up empty handed. Wheels are falling off in every imaginable way right now.
AggiEE
EastCoastAgNc said:

I swear, it could be raining dollar bills and we'd come up empty handed. Wheels are falling off in every imaginable way right now.

That's what happens when you cheap out in the off-season knowing that you'll lose three starters and only plan to replace one of them
bearkatag15
AG
This means McHugh back in the rotation for sure now. He probably already was after the All Star Break anyway with Framber being sent down.
Ag_07
AG
Are we gonna use every player on our 40 man roster?
AggiEE
It's going to really hurt when we have to trade for a legit number 3.

A lot of our prospect talent is now at an all time low after bombing the entire season.

Should have just given CFM his money
EastCoastAgNc
AG
I imagine Sneed will spot start. He's the most stretched out guy we have eligible. Plus he's already lined up timing wise with peacocks day.
redline248
AG
Is it a tactic of the Astros to put a pitcher on the IL after multiple bad outings?

McHugh
Martin
Peacock
I feel like one or two others...
EastCoastAgNc
AG
redline248 said:

Is it a tactic of the Astros to put a pitcher on the IL after multiple bad outings?

McHugh
Martin
Peacock

Martin just got sent down. IL came later. McHugh went to the bullpen then IL. Hinch said that Brad had been dealing with it for a while so with the break, they were just giving him time to rest. Says they expect him to make his guest start after the break.
Ag_07
AG
redline248 said:

McHugh
Martin
Peacock

Well when you have multiple guys on the roster that suck and have no options that's the only way make room for someone new.

Problem is the new guys suck too.
W
AG
the Astros can easily go with a 4-man rotation thru the all-star break.

Monday (7/1) is a day off and so is Thursday (7/4).

but Luhnow and Hinch better figure something out for that 8-game road trip to Arlington and Anaheim right after the break. It starts a stretch of 14 games in 14 days
Ag_07
AG
W said:

Aren't we down to 3?

No Framber and no Peacock
astros4545
AG
Ag_07 said:

W said:

Aren't we down to 3?

No Framber and no Peacock

Don't forget AAA all star Cy Sneed
mwm
Man. I sure hope they find a way to pick themselves up off the mat & get back the winning ways. Tonight would be a good time to start.
PSully97
AG
Caught the game yesterday with my old man. Our first game together was in the Dome 35+ years ago and over the years we have seen some classics...and this was not one of them, but as I get older I appreciate getting to spend the time with my dad doing something we both love.

Something funny to report about the game: We were sitting in sec. 119 towards the back and a couple of younger guys with Astros lanyards & IDs were in front of us, one of them manning a camcorder on a tripod filming a close-up of the pitchers, the other was charting pitches on a tablet.

After 5 or 6 innings of Pirate HR Derby, they start looking at and talking about a guy on the Union Station rooftop that is waving his arms around, taking zoomed-in pics of him and texting those to a group text of people trying to figure out if he's just a joker waving at one of his friends in the stadium or if he's signaling the Pirates batters. I was really hoping to be able to break a sign stealing story and have an excuse for Peacock, but no Pirates batters were looking up there and eventually the rooftop guy went away. I do think it's great that we have paranoid interns looking for malfeasance.
W
AG
all right, let's see if the hometown nine can play some winning baseball tonight
Marvin
AG
I've been sitting on a barstool for a couple of hours and I'm getting pissed off watching Pirate lowlights...

Astros better open up a nasty grudge can of ass beating tonight. I've seen enough of this pansy ass play the past two weeks. ****ing step up and do something.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Did I hear them right that Ron Kulpa was umpiring this series? I hope he doesn't get behind home plate.
First Page Last Page
Page 468 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.