***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,848,290 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
MAROON
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
wangus12 said:

11 hits and 11 LOB.
add five walks.

It's actually really hard to only score four runs with those kind of stats
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I believe that's the first time I've said that.

Do we still want to trade Correa?

WELL SOMEONE WAITED A REALLY LONG TIME TO QUOTE IT AND I THOUGHT IT WAS TWICE.

Now who said they wanted to trade Correa?
cap-n-jack
disappointing
Kashchei
AG
Wake up boys. The season has started.
Ag_07
AG
Hoping maybe it's just playing in two empty stadiums with no energy that's got the bats cold.

Thinking once they get home to sold out crowds for the first home stand and then the energy of the Yanks coming into town they'll snap out of it and get it rolling.

Seen some really good signs though. Just need to bring into form and bust out.
Gap
AG
Bad loss. The Astros shouldn't be losing when they throw their #1 and ace against the #5 starter on a bad team.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
****ing depressing start to this season.
Beat40
Agree there are some good signs, just would like to see more consistency.

I wonder if Altuve is still getting timing back.
Farmer1906
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Farmer1906 said:

Why don't you read a few pages ago.

You seem especially bothered by my posting. I hope you get the help you need.
AggiEE
Is it just me or is Springer pulling his head out on every swing?

I know he's always done this to some extent but it looks a little ridiculous this season
n_touch
He does it when he starts pressing. That and swinging out of his shoes.
Harry Dunne
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Framber is all over the place. He's not a pitcher, he's a thrower.
Not a belly itcher?
TMACsDaMan
Springer needs to get back to driving the ball to the opposite field, right to right center. In the past , when he focuses on that, a lot of his issues are fixed. Sometimes he falls in love with his power stroke.
Farmer1906
AG
Are we talking about George Springer who's got an .936 OPS and 50% hard hit rate?

TREX01
I think the bigger issue was the guys that we have $300 million tied up in that aren't getting it done
Frok
AG
The offense hasn't been able to have any rallies. There's a random home run or hard hit ball here and there but very little strung together. Altuve is off to a rough start and I think that is hurting us the most. Bregman finally got some hits last night but has been off the first week as well. Obviously that won't hold, just getting anxious to see them break out and get going.
Marvin
AG
TMACsDaMan said:

Springer needs to get back to driving the ball to the opposite field, right to right center. In the past , when he focuses on that, a lot of his issues are fixed. Sometimes he falls in love with his power stroke.

I think that's true for a lot of players. They get into a hot streak when the ball comes across the plate six times bigger than it really is and they cannot miss. Then they attempt to mash everything and the results start to slide. I know Springer himself has talked about this in the past, and the "up the middle" mindset helps get him back on track.

That said, his full throttle swing is his style and on balance it works very well. He will have his slumps just like any player- who knows when they will happen, though. He's been mashing to start the season, and hopefully it continues!
ClickClack
AG
TMACsDaMan said:

Sometimes?
Marvin
AG
Springer has always been a feast-or-famine type of batter. What was it, just last year, he went through a 5 for 65 slump. Remember the WS in 2017 when Hinch doubled down and kept him at the top of the lineup despite a horrific stretch? It paid off.

I haven't found a metric that measures the standard deviation of a batter's success- whether average, wRC or whatever. Most all of them are cumulative to date. It would be interesting to see over time which batters are consistent with their .270 average as opposed to another that has the same average but swings from a prolonged .200 stretch to a hot .330 span. Nobody is going to hit the same all year or career long, but it does seem that some players are a lot more hot/cold than others, even when they end up with the same stats in the end.
Ag_07
AG
We have three guys with an OPS over .900 so far

Jake - 1.053
Carlos - .962
Reddick - .962
George - .936

Neither of these guys are the issue
Harry Dunne
Nuke LaLoosh said:

PSA: saying someone is sucking right now does not equal saying we should cut that person.

You are not clever saying the same thing every time. YWIA.
I think that was me earlier, in response to whoever said JV's performance was "embarrassing". He had a bad outing - it happens. IMO "embarrassing" is lack of effort or bad attitude, not going out there and giving your best when you don't have your best stuff and giving your teammates a chance to win the game (and we had plenty of chances) but coming up short.

Re; Altuve, he hasn't even been to the plate enough to say he's "sucking" right now. The difference between sucking and HOF is one hit per week. He goes 3-4 the next couple of games (as he tends to often do) and he's batting .323.

Here's a take I agree a lot more with:

It's not wise to bet against Jose Altuve

Quote:

Altuve, the three-time batting champion and 2017 AL MVP, is not going to hit below .300.
Period.

Take the money and thank me later.
Marvin
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Quote:

The difference between sucking and HOF is one hit per week.

I thought you were going to go Crash Davis on us there for a minute...

"Know what the difference between hitting .250 and .300 is? It's 25 hits. 25 hits in 500 at bats is 50 points, okay? There's 6 months in a season, that's about 25 weeks. That means if you get just one extra flare a week - just one - a gorp... you get a groundball, you get a groundball with eyes... you get a dying quail, just one more dying quail a week... and you're in Yankee Stadium."
Deluxe
AG
Ag_07 said:

We have three guys with an OPS over .900 so far

Jake - 1.053
Carlos - .962
Reddick - .962
George - .936

Neither of these guys are the issue
Yea. It just seems like it's the same things that plagued us at times last year. We hit our home runs with no one on base and can't seem to get big hits with RISP.

Relative to 2017, we seem to hit alot more line drives right at people, hard hit ground balls into the shift and fly balls to the warning track. IMO data/analytics have helped opposing defenses position themselves better against us and helped opposing pitchers pitch us smarter. And it was well known in 2017 that we looked for tips... with Cora and Beltran leading that effort. Bregman said on a podcast after the 2017 season that on any given staff, 9-10 pitchers had tips. No doubt our competition has made big efforts to improve on that front. It's like in 2017 we were a step ahead of the curve on the data/analytics front. Now we're just kinda with the curve.

When push comes to shove, I still think we win out over 162 games. For all the same offensive "problems" we had last year, we still won 102 games haha. We'll probably do the same this year... but not without some frustrations along the way.
3B Paul 97
AG
I'll be at the game tonight. Will see if I can rally the troops.
Harry Dunne
Marvin said:

Harry Dunne said:

Quote:

The difference between sucking and HOF is one hit per week.

I thought you were going to go Crash Davis on us there for a minute...

"Know what the difference between hitting .250 and .300 is? It's 25 hits. 25 hits in 500 at bats is 50 points, okay? There's 6 months in a season, that's about 25 weeks. That means if you get just one extra flare a week - just one - a gorp... you get a groundball, you get a groundball with eyes... you get a dying quail, just one more dying quail a week... and you're in Yankee Stadium."
Great quote, great movie!

irish pete ag06
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

irish pete ag06 said:

Here's a big reason why we'll likely never see Peacock go much past the 6th inning.

And if there's ever a pitcher that could benefit from an "opener" it would be Peacock. He always gets hammered 3rd time through the lineup.

Is that sample size statistically significant? I am sure most pitchers get worse as the game goes on... wonder what the average decrease in efficiency is
It is. Usually 2 pitch pitchers are the ones hurt the most and Peacock has always struggled with his change-up.

Yes almost all pitchers struggle more 3rd time through, but his takes a massive jump.
irish pete ag06
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

Framber is all over the place. He's not a pitcher, he's a thrower.
Not a belly itcher?
His xBellyItch is much higher than his ERA indicating a sever lack of belly itching which when he regresses to the mean may drive him all the way around to butt itcher.
Ag_07
AG
On a positive note the BP has been spectacular.

2nd best ERA in the league at 1.59 and best FIP (by a long shot) at 0.56.

Bats will come around and everything will be just fine.
mwm
Did you know that they haven't scored in run in an inning later than the 6th this season? The 7th, 8th & 9th have all been zeroes. Not very clutch.

The most prolific offensive inning has been the 3rd where they've scored 6 of their total 15 runs.
AgDoc03
AG
mwm said:

Did you know that they haven't scored in run in an inning later than the 6th this season? The 7th, 8th & 9th have all been zeroes. Not very clutch.

The most prolific offensive inning has been the 3rd where they've scored 6 of their total 15 runs.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

Farmer1906 said:

Why don't you read a few pages ago.

You seem especially bothered by my posting. I hope you get the help you need.

Lol. I made one comment bro.

But now I am bothered by your posting/narcissism, so mission accomplished. Carry on.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 is just mad because he really wanted Harper, who is on pace to hit 120 dingers this year.
astros4545
AG
Beat40
He and Steve are perfect together. They play off each other very well.
. . .
Game is on the alternate channel

First Page Last Page
Page 32 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.