***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,756 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
it is interesting looking at the 1992 draft...so many college players were taken very high...and all of them basically busted.

Jeter was the 1st high school player taken at #6.

the 2nd high school player was Preston Wilson at #9.

Jason Kendall was the 5th HS player chosen at #23.

Johnny Damon was at the bottom of the draft also out of high school.

a terrible year to take college players
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Ag_07 said:

Or one Edwin Encarnacion

EE to 1B, Yuli to 3B, and Bregs to SS

Replaces White and lessens the loss of Correa.

I wanted EE over the offseason. He was made to hit homers into the Crawford boxes

I've been on the EE train since 2016, but we sign Beltran instead.

He's a little longer in the tooth now, but I'd add him if the price was cheap.
Farmer1906
AG
BurnHard Longer said:

bearkatag15 said:

BurnHard Longer said:

We don't have room for EE when we get healthy

Yes we do. Tyler White won't be on this roster if they were to get EE

I cant see us DFA'ing him for an EE rental

You include him in the EE deal.
CoachRTM
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Did not know this story. What could have been

I'll post my somewhat controversial opinion again -

Take Jeter off the Yankees and out of the media spotlight and he's not a Hall of Famer. At best he's "hall of pretty good"
Farmer1906
AG
CoachRTM said:

bearkatag15 said:

Take Jeter off the Yankees and out of the media spotlight and he's not a Hall of Famer. At best he's "hall of pretty good"

A little too far.

He's still a HOF, but he's more like Biggio level type. He's in, but he's no where near the greatest greats.
expresswrittenconsent
CoachRTM said:

bearkatag15 said:

NY certainly has an affect but if he wins 5 rings in Houston (or Kansas city or wherever) hes getting in. It's still a glamour position.
CoachRTM
AG
Part of it is that I don't think he wins 5 rings outside of NY.
Mr.Bond
AG
Farmer1906 said:

CoachRTM said:

bearkatag15 said:

A little too far.

He's still a HOF, but he's more like Biggio level type. He's in, but he's no where near the greatest greats.
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Ag_07
AG
But he did and he's an all time great.
CoachRTM
AG
Ok, let me rephrase my opinion.

1. His resume/ career is a low-level hall of famer - similar to Biggio (like the poster above stated)

2. If he was drafted by the Astros, Royals, White Sox, Rangers, or some other team outside of New York/ Boston/ LA... he would never have been a hall of famer.

Sorry - didn't mean to derail the thread down this track again.
expresswrittenconsent
CoachRTM said:

Part of it is that I don't think he wins 5 rings outside of NY.
really a lot of layers to this "opinion". Now it's more of a fantasy situation. Did A&M win any football national titles in this alt reality? Because that is the factor that might pull me over to your side of things.
mwm
I may have missed it but is Correa with the team on the road trip? If not, why not? Other players on the IL are in the dugout & travelling. Just curious.
Buck Compton
AG
mwm said:

I may have missed it but is Correa with the team on the road trip? If not, why not? Other players on the IL are in the dugout & travelling. Just curious.
None of those other players are out 4-6 weeks at a minimum. Springer is the only exception. The others may be activated any day now.
Mr.Bond
AG
CoachRTM said:

1. His resume/ career is a low-level hall of famer - similar to Biggio (like the poster above stated)

2. If he was drafted by the Astros, Royals, White Sox, Rangers, or some other team outside of New York/ Boston/ LA... he would never have been a hall of famer.

He had 3k hits...... Outside of known steroid users that's an auto HOFer...... Yes Biggio got hosed on having to be the first ever 3k hit member (outside of known cheaters and steroid users) to NOT go 1st ballot. But he got in.

So are you saying Jeter wouldn't have gotten 3k hits in Kansas City?

For the record I agree he's overrated overall
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

W
AG
Buck Compton said:

mwm said:

None of those other players are out 4-6 weeks at a minimum. Springer is the only exception. The others may be activated any day now.
and none of those other players were injured under dubious circumstances. He may have been told to stay home for a while. See you back at MMP
mazag08
AG
West coast teams should not be allowed to have 7:00 start times on the weekend when playing non west coast teams.
bearkatag15
AG
mazag08 said:

West coast teams should not be allowed to have 7:00 start times on the weekend when playing non west coast teams.

If there is a day of the week they should have 7pm PST start times it's on Fridays and Saturdays.
Ag_07
AG
mwm said:

I can't imagine it's very comfortable or good for the quickest recovery to be flying with a fractured rib. Different if you have a sore hamstring and fatigued legs.
bearkatag15
AG

mazag08
AG
bearkatag15 said:

mazag08 said:

If there is a day of the week they should have 7pm PST start times it's on Fridays and Saturdays.

I meant 7:00 locally, which is 9:00 here. It's ridiculous.
Farmer1906
AG
Mr.Bond said:

CoachRTM said:

He had 3k hits...... Outside of known steroid users that's an auto HOFer...... Yes Biggio got hosed on having to be the first ever 3k hit member (outside of known cheaters and steroid users) to NOT go 1st ballot. But he got in.

So are you saying Jeter wouldn't have gotten 3k hits in Kansas City?

For the record I agree he's overrated overall

This. He's a lock for the hall, but a lowish level hofer. At the same time he's super ****ing overrated because he played for NY. Here is some perspective. In his 20 year career he had 5 seasons of 130+ wRC+. 1 year at 156, the other 4 in the 130s. Jose Altuve (only 29) has 4 of those seasons. 160, 152, 137, 135. An argument could be made that Altuve is already as good or better than Jeter. He's just not there for the counting stats yet.
expresswrittenconsent
mazag08 said:

bearkatag15 said:

mazag08 said:

That would definitely be a ridiculous rule you're calling for.
07ag
AG
CoachRTM said:

bearkatag15 said:

3465 hits and hes definitely in hof, no matter what team, i do wish the astros would have drafted him, what could have been

but it is what it is. jeter is definitely a yankee hof.
https://ts.la/eric59704
bearkatag15
AG
Kris Davis back in the lineup for the A's.
Marvin
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

mazag08 said:

bearkatag15 said:

mazag08 said:

And yet it still would be nice to not be up until midnight. That's ridiculous. I say get rid of time zones. And daylight savings.
expresswrittenconsent
Marvin said:

mazag08 said:

bearkatag15 said:

mazag08 said:

And yet it still would be nice to not be up until midnight. That's ridiculous. I say get rid of time zones. And daylight savings.

I wish our owner hadn't taken a 30mil bribe to move to the ALwest. But the world series and the current ass kickery has more than made me forgive him. Plus it helps to be a nite owl.
Harry Dunne
Can you imagine how good our teams could have been if it was Jeter at short instead of Tim Bogar, Julio Lugo and Adam Everett?
Farmer1906
AG

Marvin said:

mazag08 said:

bearkatag15 said:

mazag08 said:

I wish our owner hadn't taken a 30mil bribe to move to the ALwest. But the world series and the current ass kickery has more than made me forgive him. Plus it helps to be a nite owl.

The AL is better. I hated it. HATED IT at first, but now I'm pleased. The DH, the teams, etc. it's better.
expresswrittenconsent
It's cool to be the only team with AL pennant, NL pennant, and WS trophy
Agnzona
mazag08 said:

In the Bay area why wouldn't most Saterday games be a late afternoon start?
PSully97
AG
I still miss the NL Central rivalries, but agree that the AL is better.
expresswrittenconsent
Agnzona said:

mazag08 said:

In the Bay area why wouldn't most Saterday games be a late afternoon start?

For one thing because west coast Sunday games have to start by 1pm local time by rule to protect the ESPN exclusive single MLB Sunday night game. So they might not want back to back day games for attendance/ratings/etc reasons.
bearkatag15
AG
Its Saturday night... who cares if the game starts a couple hours later.
Farmer1906
AG
PSully97 said:

I still miss the NL Central rivalries, but agree that the AL is better.

Yup but we'd built some fun match ups with Arlington, Cleveland, & Boston the last few years.
bearkatag15
AG
Stubbs catching tomorrow. pretty funny quote below

First Page Last Page
Page 305 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.