***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,848,740 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag_07 said:

So the big question that has yet to be brought up...How do we get Tyler White in one of those HEB commercials?

You want him around more food?
astros4545
AG
Ag_07 said:

So the big question that has yet to be brought up...How do we get Tyler White in one of those HEB commercials?
Beat40
Ag_07 said:

Don't you put that evil on Bregman, Ag_07!
Frok
AG
With all these guys getting injured so easy it makes me wonder about PHDs again.
AgFan1999
AG
Yordan's not on the 40 man roster. Somebody would need to be dropped of the 40 man at this point.
Ag_07
AG
Frok said:

With all these guys getting injured so easy it makes me wonder about PHDs again.

None of these guys even finished their undergrad.
bearkatag15
AG
AgFan1999 said:

Yordan's not on the 40 man roster. Somebody would need to be dropped of the 40 man at this point.

Just have to move McCullers to the 60 day DL
Mathguy64
AG
bearkatag15 said:

AgFan1999 said:

Just have to move McCullers to the 60 day DL

Or DFA the Teletubbie. But I agree that moving LMJ is likely the move.
Ag_07
AG
Why is he not on the 60 day IL?

That seems like a given
Mathguy64
AG
Ag_07 said:

That seems like a given

Until the 40 man is full you can't put anyone on the 60 day IL. Stubbs' call up took the last 40 man spot.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I believe you couldnt do it until the 40 man roster was filled....which it is now
Ag_07
AG
Hmm...I had no idea that was a rule.

But yeah that seems like a no brainer
EastCoastAgNc
AG
mathguy86 said:

Ag_07 said:

That seems like a given

Until the 40 man is full you can't put anyone on the 60 day IL. Stubbs' call up took the last 40 man spot.
Stubbs was already on 40-man. I think Mayfield ate the last spot.
3B Paul 97
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

mathguy86 said:

Ag_07 said:

That seems like a given

Stubbs was already on 40-man. I think Mayfield ate the last spot.

White would have beat Mayfield to it if it were actually edible.
mazag08
AG
The guys on 790 yesterday mentioned that Correa got a massage at home. No way a massage therapist cracks a rib.

Something else is going on. This is weird.
rosco511
AG
And for Luhnow to make comment not at liberty to say, sounds like definitely more to it.
sts7049
AG
this is a very unhappy ending
W
AG
so another season where Correa probably doesn't cross the 110-games-played mark.

this will be the third season-in-a-row.

no way you offer a big contract to someone so injury prone and careless
Agnzona
"Now Hiring- Team Doctor, Team Trainer, Team Strength & Conditioning Coach, Team Stretching Guru. Needed to start immediately. Experience preferred but you couldn't be worse than the just departed. Inquire at Houston Astros.com"
Harry Dunne
Prosperdick said:

tjholley16 said:

I'd rather have an average defensive but good offensive catcher, than have a below average hitting catcher who's amazing behind the plate.
Chirinos vs Ausmus although probably not the best comparison but the first one that came to mind.
Ausmus didn't hit HR, but he was a solid hitter for most of his career and his best oWar seasons are better than what Chirinos has done (so far). At his peak, he was playing in 140 games per year and played in 100 or more 14 years in a row! And he won the GG 4x.

Chirinos is a platoon guy who at age 35 has only played in 100 games once. He's doing great this year and his power might make him a better hitter, but he's really never played a full season and he's nearing the end of the line.

Young Evan Gattis when he was still primarily a catcher would be a better example. All of that power still couldn't make up for the bad defense.
Harry Dunne
W said:

so another season where Correa probably doesn't cross the 110-games-played mark.

this will be the third season-in-a-row.

no way you offer a big contract to someone so injury prone and careless
Maybe right about the contract, but not really fair to say he's careless.
agdaddy04
AG
Wasn't it just last year that Rex retired? Coincidence?
Prosperdick
AG
mazag08 said:

The guys on 790 yesterday mentioned that Correa got a massage at home. No way a massage therapist cracks a rib.

I heard it happened while he was washing his truck.

Jeff Kent fans will appreciate that one.
Frok
AG
mazag08 said:

His wife beats him regularly. He swears he just fell down the stairs.
rosco511
AG
I would not consider Ausmus to be a solid hitter. He was either below average or really bad for most of his career. He only had two seasons with a wRC+ over 100 but had seven seasons with a wRC+ of less than 70.
bearkatag15
AG
The IL disease is spreading to round rock now

Harry Dunne
rosco511 said:

I would not consider Ausmus to be a solid hitter. He was either below average or really bad for most of his career. He only had two seasons with a wRC+ over 100 but had seven seasons with a wRC+ of less than 70.
That's because you're comparing him offensively to the average position player instead of to other catchers. That's where oWAR is helpful. He tailed off at the end of his career, but for most of his career he was solid for a catcher.

Regardless, my main point is that comparing him to Chirinos is a joke.

TREX01
Ausmus also hit one of the most important and unlikeliest homeruns in franchise history.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I almost feel like this is a coordinated effort to expose the lengths a franchise will go to, including losing game to swing contracts in managements favor. It obviously not but I can see how these guys get frustrated with the manipulate the contracts. The have lived their lives in a best guy plays world then all the sudden the best guy doesn't get a shot.
bearkatag15
AG
Harry Dunne said:

rosco511 said:

That's because you're comparing him offensively to the average position player instead of to other catchers. That's where oWAR is helpful. He tailed off at the end of his career, but for most of his career he was solid for a catcher.

Regardless, my main point is that comparing him to Chirinos is a joke.

Offensively Chirinos is very comparable to Ausmus as a catcher. Chirinos has a higher career oWAR, You say Ausmus' best oWAR seasons are better than what Chirinos has done so far, but in reality they are very similar. Just take the 5 best seasons for Ausmus vs Chirinos

Ausmus:
1999 - 2.6
1995 - 2.1
2000 - 2.0
1998 - 1.4
2005 - 1.0
Total = 9.1

Chirinos:
2017 - 2.2
2018 - 1.9
2014 - 1.8
2015 - 1.5
2019 - 1.5 (so far)
Total = 8.9

Those are very comparable.

Now look at OPS and Chirinos beats Ausmus in that category (.768 vs .669 career OPS)
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Ag_07
AG
Whitley hits the IL with shoulder fatigue
AgDoc03
AG
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bearkatag15
AG
Kris Bryant back in lineup for the Cubs

dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
First Page Last Page
Page 288 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.