***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,531 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Mr President Elect
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
wtf is "encouraging" news on a guy set to be back in the lineup in a couple of days?
bearkatag15
AG
willjohnathan said:

wtf is "encouraging" news on a guy set to be back in the lineup in a couple of days?

He said before the game that Altuve complained about some soreness and fatigue in his leg that he had surgery on over the offseason. He's encouraged that all he needs to do is strengthen and rest the leg before coming back
Ag_07
AG
Yeah the fact that it's not really an injury but just needing the build some strength in the legs.
bearkatag15
AG
Miley vs the Cubs tomorrow. They've had some success vs him and some have not. Hopefully Kris Bryant will be out again

bearkatag15
AG

4 seem fastballs are giving him trouble.
AggiEE
Ag_07 said:

Stubbs impressed tonight both at the plate and behind the dish.

He just told Julia after the 3rd he settled in and could focus on getting strikes and getting the guys over the plate.

A guy making his ML debut puts it on himself to get a ML staff strikes and over the plate.

I love that!!!

I would be ALL IN on sending Stassi back to RR. Yes. Even after just one game.

Stubbs had a more productive game than Stassi has all season.
Mr President Elect
AG
Anyone else concerned with our sb% against sto far? Stassi is 2/14 in throwing out runners and Chirinos is 4/24. Is Stubbs is any better? It can become a real liablility in hard fought playoff games.
W
AG
the Cubs are in payroll prison.

they have 10 players making between $10 MM and $27 MM.

and Baez, Schwarber, Hendricks, and Contreras are not among those 10.

only 2 of the 10 contracts expire after 2019. (fortunately for Chicago one is Hamels')
Gap
AG
I wonder if Corbin Martin's spot in the starting rotation or even on the MLB roster will change before his next scheduled start. With the off day coming up Thursday, they could skip him and put him in the pen. My worry is our bullpen is getting worn out in his starts.
CreedBratton
Gap said:

I wonder if Corbin Martin's spot in the starting rotation or even on the MLB roster will change before his next scheduled start. With the off day coming up Thursday, they could skip him and put him in the pen. My worry is our bullpen is getting worn out in his starts.

He had an incredible debut and has looked average at best since. He's also way too prone to giving up the long ball. I don't think he needs to be in the rotation anymore, to be honest.
Mr President Elect
AG
Gap said:

Without looking at the numbers, I think our pen is still in really good shape IP wise. A couple weeks ago we were struggling just to get Harris, Pressly and Osuna in the game. The last several have been close though... Outside of Martin, our starters have been keeping the bp to a min, and our bp hasn't really had a blow up game where we have to go through several guys to get through just a couple of innings.

As far as Martin... Hinch kinda looked like he ran out of patience when yanking him.
cc10106
W said:

Bonfired said:

Good couple of wins with a AAAA lineup the last couple of days!
against Hamels and Lester no less.

not sure about the Cubs
They're no White Sox, that's for sure.
BarryProfit
AggiEE said:

Ag_07 said:

He just told Julia after the 3rd he settled in and could focus on getting strikes and getting the guys over the plate.

A guy making his ML debut puts it on himself to get a ML staff strikes and over the plate.

I love that!!!

Stubbs had a more productive game than Stassi has all season.

Stubbs was working hard framing pitches last night, it was noticeable.
Frok
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

He clearly needed to come home to his wife for that
McInnis
AG
Quote:

As far as Martin... Hinch kinda looked like he ran out of patience when yanking him.

That's sure what it looked like after seeing him throw that ball four about two ft. over the catcher's head. Who would be in line for the 5th starter's job? Probably James?
Harry Dunne
willjohnathan said:

Anyone else concerned with our sb% against sto far? Stassi is 2/14 in throwing out runners and Chirinos is 4/24. Is Stubbs is any better? It can become a real liablility in hard fought playoff games.
No.

Unless we get matched up in the WS with the 1985 Cardinals.
titanmaster_race
mazag08 said:

According to Junkhead on the Cubs thread..

Junkhead said:

I made the mistake of checking the Astros thread just now. What a whiny bunch of ****s. They actually have the nerve to say Cubs fans are the worst bandwagon fans of all. **** that. This board was almost completely devoid of Astros fans for years this decade. Now that they're good everyone is a lifelong fan.

I bet he doesn't want me to pull up threads from our down years and compare. What a little girl.

Cubs fans are the worst. They even outpace Yankees fans.
titanmaster_race
Ag_07 said:

And Hinch just said he hasn't talked to doctors yet but Correa didn't even come to the park tonight and Altuve's prognosis sounds a bit more promising than Correa's just from the standpoint of the unknown and he just needs to strengthen the lower body.

What the hell happened to correa? Getting injured on an off day? Daniella needs to let him have his bed rest iykwim
PSully97
AG
willjohnathan said:

It looks bad if you don't know that Vazquez (BOS) is leading the league at only 39% (7/18). That's only 5 or 6 bases better than Chirinos. He does everything else pretty well defensively and his offense more than makes up for his arm.
Harry Dunne
Ag_07 said:

I love that!!!

No doubt Stassi has been awful, but C in general are pretty pathetic these days.

Stassi is out of options, and he would definitely be claimed - bad as he is, he is better than a good number of catchers around the league and any Federowicz type someone might pick up for free. Plus he's cheap for a few more years.

I hope that Stubbs can keep it up and make Stassi expendable. I'm just presenting the reality of the situation.
Harry Dunne
Remember we also had to give up a guy who is now the #12 prospect in the Angels organization and will probably be in their starting rotation by the end of the season just to get 41 games worth of replacement-level Martin Maldonado.

Can't judge catchers on the same scales as other positions.
Ag_07
AG
Quote:

What the hell happened to correa? Getting injured on an off day?

EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ag_07 said:

Quote:

What the hell happened to correa? Getting injured on an off day?

They said he felt it while "getting some at-home treatment".
rosco511
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Ag_07 said:

I love that!!!

No doubt Stassi has been awful, but C in general are pretty pathetic these days.

Stassi is out of options, and he would definitely be claimed - bad as he is, he is better than a good number of catchers around the league and any Federowicz type someone might pick up for free. Plus he's cheap for a few more years.

I am tired of Stassi as well - have never really been a fan - and I hope that Stubbs can keep it up and make Stassi expendable. I'm just presenting the reality of the situation.

I think Stassi's receiving/framing stats are really good. I remember seeing something that indicates he still provides positive WAR because of his receiving/framing skills. A lot of teams value this over offensive production for a backup catcher.
07ag
AG
bearkatag15 said:

4 seem fastballs are giving him trouble.

i like his attitude, they aren't the aaaastros, these kids are in the big leagues for a reason
https://ts.la/eric59704
Agnzona
Are we trying to trade any of these guys that are out of options and that we know are not a fit for this team long term? Seems even a flyer on some rookie leauger or a late round draft pick is better than nothing.
DVC2010
AG
rosco511 said:

Harry Dunne said:

Ag_07 said:

I love that!!!

I am tired of Stassi as well - have never really been a fan - and I hope that Stubbs can keep it up and make Stassi expendable. I'm just presenting the reality of the situation.

I think Stassi's receiving/framing stats are really good. I remember seeing something that indicates he still provides positive WAR because of his receiving/framing skills. A lot of teams value this over offensive production for a backup catcher.

I've grown tired of arguing this, but most of Stassi's value is the subtle things you can't see. A catcher adds value with his bat, by receiving pitches, by blocking pitches, and by throwing out runners, in that order.

The first two dwarf the others in impact on runs scored/prevented.
tjack16
AG
I'd rather have an average defensive but good offensive catcher, than have a below average hitting catcher who's amazing behind the plate.
DVC2010
AG
And generally speaking, you'd be making the right choice. I mentioned those details be cause fans value throwing out runners, but that has very little impact on the game.
Ag13
AG
Astros doing a $10 flash sale for tonight's game. Pretty good deal for a Cubs/Astros matchup. I believe previously the cheapest ticket was around $27 through the Astros.
Beat40
tjholley16 said:

I'd rather have an average defensive but good offensive catcher, than have a below average hitting catcher who's amazing behind the plate.
What did you think of all the passed balls in the postseason last year?

My point is a catcher's defense is magnified in big games. Especially in this new era of pitching where spin is becoming more and more prevalent. Not only is there defense magnified, but how they handle the pitcher and their preparation is magnified as well.

I'm not saying I want below average hitting catcher who's amazing behind the plate. I am saying I'd rather have a catcher who might be an average hitter and above average defensively who can help keep a pitcher's emotions in check in a big game situation.
BurnHard Longer
Beat40 said:

tjholley16 said:

I thought they weren't the reason we lost the series, and our lack of hitting was
Prosperdick
AG
tjholley16 said:

Chirinos vs Ausmus although probably not the best comparison but the first one that came to mind.
Beat40
BurnHard Longer said:

Beat40 said:

tjholley16 said:

I thought they weren't the reason we lost the series, and our lack of hitting was
But they literally put people in to scoring position without making them work for it.

I believe there were at least two ABs where there were two passed balls that let a guy go from 1st to 3rd.

Not saying they were the reason we lost the series, but you can't say they didn't play a part.
Mathguy64
AG
BurnHard Longer said:

Beat40 said:

tjholley16 said:

Our lack of clutch hitting and Boston ability to get 2 out hits were huge. The PB's allowed runners to move up and score on singles. Did it lose the series? No. Did it contribute? Yes.
First Page Last Page
Page 286 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.