***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,820 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Harry Dunne said:

bullard21k said:

Ags #1 said:

You thought Brantley should have caught that? He isn't known for his defense

I think he doesn't run down baseballs aggressively yes.

What do you think of Tucker's defense? (serious question, not just a cheap shot)

On par with Jake.

Mathguy64
AG
We were tied for 2nd with the Red Sox with 48 GIDP. 4 more tonight plus the GITP would put us with the Angels at 1st place.
Ag_07
AG
Jesus Eloy Jimenez looks like a stud

Thank God we don't play them much because him and Moncado could be future Astro killers
bullard21k
AG
Harry Dunne said:

bullard21k said:

Ags #1 said:

What do you think of Tucker's defense? (serious question, not just a cheap shot)

About the same. At times they play like tentative bitc#es in the OF.

But hey if they can swing the lumber whatever but they both occasionally have the mosesy around attitude getting to baseballs that aggravate me.
cap-n-jack
Not showing mom after that pitch wound up in the pen.
Mathguy64
AG
Well I'm out. I can't bear another DP and given we have 6 more outs we all know its coming.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Harry Dunne
bullard21k said:

Harry Dunne said:

bullard21k said:

Ags #1 said:

About the same. At times they play like tentative bitc#es in the OF.

But hey if they can swing the lumber whatever but they both occasionally have the mosesy around attitude getting to baseballs that aggravate me.
Unfortunately that is the correct answer, so I can't accuse you of being racist.
Deluxe
AG
ComebackSZN
Deluxe
AG
ComebackSZN is the regime
bearkatag15
AG
Brantley can make up for his outfield loafing right here... turn on one and put it in the 2nd deck.
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
bearkatag15
AG
AstroAggie15
AG
Honestly sometimes I wonder if y'all are closet rangers fans. Can't take a loss like a ****ing adult
bearkatag15
AG
Jake about to end this game on another GIDP
Unemployed
AG
AstroAggie15 said:

Honestly sometimes I wonder if y'all are closet rangers fans. Can't take a loss like a ****ing adult
WE ARE SUPPOSE TO WIN EVERY GAME!!!!
bullard21k
AG
Kemp still grinding ABs.

All we need is a reddick walk, Bregman HBP and a Correa granny
mazag08
AG
Lost 2 of the last 4. Not a good streak. Might miss the playoffs if we merely play .500 ball.
astros4545
AG
We outhit them

I consider that a W
dshedd41
S
On to the next one. Goodnight!
Gig’em Aggies!
Frok
AG
astros4545 said:

We outhit them

I consider that a W

That's not how this works
W
AG
one small thing with Bregman...he's still below .200 w/RISP. Sitting at .189 for the season.

been very HR or bust lately. It's okay to mix in some singles & doubles in RBI situations
Marvin
AG
Marvin said:

What do you say about these over/Under bets for the 2019 season? Hopefully some of them are good!

Bregman's position in AL MVP voting
3rd

Correa plate appearances

Tyler White HR's

Reddick batting average
.260 (.262 for career)

Most wins by a pitcher

Whitley's first start
July 15th

Hits by a pitcher

Almost to the one-third pole for 2019. Looks like a mixed bag here.

• Springer, maybe Correa, are more likely to be the Astros in contention for MVP right now.
  • Correa has 197 plate appearances and looks healthy. This might be the surprise stat so far.
  • Bearkatag has been spot on with his Great White demise. Not that the fall was very far...
  • Reddick is looking good, but we've seen several ground balls this week beat weakly into the right side infield grass. The oppo approach that fueled his success early on needs to stick.
  • Verlander is looking very strong to top this.
  • Puddin's home run drought keeps this from being my worst target so far. We'll see.
  • Have we even played an interleague game yet?
Ag_07
AG
But what's his OBP?

I feel like teams are seriously pitching around Bregman. Kinda like what we saw last year during the ALCS where they want no piece of him.

Nevermind...His OBP w RISP is .308 (lowest of his career) so my theory of him getting walked a bunch is nixed.
Deluxe
AG
W said:

one small thing with Bregman...he's still below .200 w/RISP. Sitting at .189 for the season.

been very HR or bust lately. It's okay to mix in some singles & doubles in RBI situations
Interesting observation. I didn't realize Bregman only has 6 doubles this year after 51 last year. Looks like he's on pace to hit more HRs than last year but have considerably less extra base hits.
Harry Dunne
W said:

Good for you for having a Bregman take other than "balls in the wheelbarrow", and not to distract from your good point that it would be smart to shrink he strike zone and be willing to go up the middle or opposite field instead of just trying to pull...but 37 ABs is such a small sample.

It is interesting to see that over his career he has hit only .228 in late & close (all PAs from the 7th inning on with a score difference of one run or less, or with the tying run on base, at bat or on deck) and that he's only 1 for 15 (.067) late & close this year. Overall that's < 200 ABs, but still interesting.

Big picture, the numbers say that "clutch" hitting is really a mirage. That over the long run, hitters tend to be who they are regardless of circumstance. It's silly to argue that some hitters (Jeter, Tony Gwynn, etc) weren't "clutch", but they were also damn good hitters in the first place. On the flip side, Jake isn't "not clutch" - he's just a $h1tty hitter. Alex is .322 with a .989 OPS over his career w RISP and even better than that with RISP & 2 outs. I would bet that over time his late & close numbers normalize, but maybe not so much wheelbarrow as we thought.
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

But it looks like he's just missed a bunch of balls. His hard% is down and his med% is up. His fly ball% is through the roof. Maybe he's swinging for the fences and not squaring it up. His Babip .107. That aint going to stay like that with a hard hit% in the mid 30s (even if its down from his norm).

Take avg out of it and his OPS is still over .800. Again, while its not his norm, its still really good.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Psych
AG
dshedd14 said:

That lineup looks so different that it's hard to tell it's the Astros.
expresswrittenconsent
Dumb question but what does the red ink vs black ink indicate?
John E
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Red are lefties and black means righties
Mr.Ackar07
John E said:

expresswrittenconsent said:

Red are lefties and black means righties
And Marwin used to be in blue as a switch-hitter
redline248
AG
General question: do teams value switch hitting much, these days?
Marvin
AG
redline248 said:

This is an interesting topic. I don't hear as much about this these days. Seems like a dying art.

Edit: found this from last year...

Quote:

The art of batting from both sides of the plate would figure to be at a premium in this age of shifting defenses and advanced analytics. But in a sport of constant change, the amount remains remarkably steady.

The number of switch hitters with 300 or more major league at-bats per season has been at least 30 but no more than 42 since expansion to 30 teams in 1998, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. There were 33 switch hitters on pace to reach that figure at the quarter mark of this season.

Switch hitters
Buck Compton
AG
Marvin said:

redline248 said:

This is an interesting topic. I don't hear as much about this these days. Seems like a dying art.

Edit: found this from last year...

Quote:

The art of batting from both sides of the plate would figure to be at a premium in this age of shifting defenses and advanced analytics. But in a sport of constant change, the amount remains remarkably steady.

The number of switch hitters with 300 or more major league at-bats per season has been at least 30 but no more than 42 since expansion to 30 teams in 1998, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. There were 33 switch hitters on pace to reach that figure at the quarter mark of this season.

Switch hitters
What the MLB cares about more than anything is production. And it makes sense that the amount of people with the ability and coordination to effectively hit from both sides of the plate has not increased. It's not easy, and batting .290 as a lefty and .175 as a righty doesn't get you anything, you simply platoon if the matchups are that awful.

Even accounting for population change, you have to account for more people pursuing more (different) sports accounting for the lack of an increase.
Mathguy64
AG
Here's the career split for a pretty decent switch hitter.

Hitting lefty: 5028 PA, .300/.421//.565, wRC+ 155, 261 HR

Hitting righty: 1575 PA, .259/.369/.417, wRC+ 105, 46 HR.
First Page Last Page
Page 252 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.