***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,847,289 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Harry Dunne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Marvin said:

Farmer1906 said:

4 runs over the last 3 games. I'm not sure we'll have a worse offensive stretch all year long.

Well, let's hope this is the case.

Miley was about what I expected. We'll need to score some runs to win when he and Peacock take the mound.

Offense is scuffling, but at least it was in a place that the Astros already suck bottom. We got that torture chamber out of the way, so keep your chins up and let's take some more batting practice. I encourage Diaz to get in line multiple times over the next 24 hours.
3 runs over 6 innings with no walks - if that is what we can expect from Miley and he makes 32 starts with what our offense ought to be, I would expect Miley to be a 20 game winner.

If we can't score 4 runs against Tampa's back end of the rotation guys we don't deserve to win that game. The pitching is not the problem.
mike_ags_fan12
Marvin
AG
Miley won't be a 20 game winner with a 4.50 ERA no matter how good the offense ought to be.

The season will tell one way or the other. I think Peacock and Miley can/will be average to above average this year. Nothing wrong with that, but need to score some runs with average pitching. I don't think that is a controversial or even negative statement. It's also reasonable to expect that our starter ERA will increase some this year. Need to plate some more runs to offset that, but a healthy lineup will help get them.

Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Marvin said:

Farmer1906 said:

4 runs over the last 3 games. I'm not sure we'll have a worse offensive stretch all year long.

Miley was about what I expected. We'll need to score some runs to win when he and Peacock take the mound.

Offense is scuffling, but at least it was in a place that the Astros already suck bottom. We got that torture chamber out of the way, so keep your chins up and let's take some more batting practice. I encourage Diaz to get in line multiple times over the next 24 hours.

Why do you say that about Peacock? The last 3 years he's kept his ERA in the low to mid 3s. Career he's got 4 ERA as a starter, but that's weighted down by early career struggles. He had a 3.22 as a starter in 2017 (largest recent sample size as a starter). Throw in he's developed a change up to counter lefties (his weakness) and I fully expect the best Peacock we've seen.

We've had the innings discussion regarding starters already, but my view is that Peacock will throw the fewest of our starters. We'll see, but he may not pitch many seventh innings. That would mean that in his starts we will see more middle relief. Those guys often have higher counts in earned runs. It follows that, by and large, we'll need to score "some" runs when he's pitching.

If not, then I look forward to being wrong!
AggiEE
Thinking we should still grab Dallas Keuchel to give us some added insurance.
Farmer1906
AG
AggiEE said:

Can he hit?
tjack16
AG
We're clearly tanking to get Zion
Charlie Conway
Take about 20% off there bud
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

AggiEE said:

Can he hit?

He can field. Possibility better than Diaz.
Kashchei
AG
Are any of you other losers going to be in Arlington? I'm planning on going Tuesday so I can see Verlander pitch in person while simultaneously *****ing on Texags.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Marvin said:

Farmer1906 said:

Miley gave us a damn quality start. He's basically Keuchel,

In fact, I believe that's 4 quality starts in a row from the staff.
wangus12
AG
Kashchei said:

Are any of you other losers going to be in Arlington? I'm planning on going Tuesday so I can see Verlander pitch in person while simultaneously *****ing on Texags.
Going on Tuesday as well with my brother and old roommate. Tickets are dirt cheap right now
bearkatag15
AG
Right, giving up a total of like 11 runs in 4 games should be considered very good. Its the offense only scoring 9 which is causing so much heartburn.

For comparison, the Red Sox, who are also 1-3 FYI, gave up 34 runs this weekend in 4 games... I'd be mortified if that was us
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Right, giving up a total of like 11 runs in 4 games should be considered very good. Its the offense only scoring 9 which is causing so much heartburn.

11 runs in 4 games is elite pitching. Hitting has definitely been ass.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
I feel like there has been a major marketing opportunity missed. How is there not more buzz for the Tropicana vs Minute Maid Teams?

Lazy ass marketing departments.
bearkatag15
AG
Battle of the Juice Boxes

I love it
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Battle of the Juice Boxes

I love it

Right? They were both too lazy to come up with a twitter hashtag.

Yes, I looked. What are they thinking?
Kashchei
AG
wangus12 said:

Kashchei said:

Going on Tuesday as well with my brother and old roommate. Tickets are dirt cheap right now

$9 sans taxes for me
wangus12
AG
Kashchei said:

wangus12 said:

Kashchei said:

$9 sans taxes for me
Yeah we grabbed some $10 after taxes. Row 1 on the upper tier shifted to the Astros dugout.
Marvin
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Marvin said:

Farmer1906 said:

Miley gave us a damn quality start. He's basically Keuchel,

In fact, I believe that's 4 quality starts in a row from the staff.

Not sure why you guys think I bashed Miley by stating that the team will need to score some runs when he pitches. He's not Verlander or 2018 Cole, on average. No big secret there, nor is it a knock on Miley to state that. Also, he can pitch the collective minimums to get a quality start 33 times this year (6 innings, 3 earned runs allowed) and still be a below-average pitcher by statistics. The averages over the past 15 years are roughly 4.25 ERA with 8 hits allowed, if I used Baseball Reference correctly. That was basically Miley's first outing (and I stress first, as we're talking about just an initial impression).

Now, you may say that we'll be lucky to have that with our #3 this year and there's no viable comparison to the fantastic staff we rolled out in '18. Ok, I have no problem with that opinion. My point was simply that, with an average pitcher, you need an offense that is above average if you want to win. We have that, although not typically in Tampa for some frustrating reason.

As to the comment that the offense was the problem and not the pitching... well, I agree. We needed to score some runs (thanks for making my point!).

On to Arlington. I look forward to the boys raising those batting averages by .100 each!
Harry Dunne
Marvin said:

Miley won't be a 20 game winner with a 4.50 ERA no matter how good the offense ought to be.

The season will tell one way or the other. I think Peacock and Miley can/will be average to above average this year. Nothing wrong with that, but need to score some runs with average pitching. I don't think that is a controversial or even negative statement. It's also reasonable to expect that our starter ERA will increase some this year. Need to plate some more runs to offset that, but a healthy lineup will help get them.

Yes, obviously - and we're not going to project a full season based off of one start. It's easy to cherry pick stats to try to support a point. Nobody thinks Miley will win 20 games with a 4.50 ERA earned the traditional way (hardly anyone wins 20 games period anymore), but if he goes 6 innings and gives up 3 runs and 0 walks 32 times this year, he would be definitely among the league leader in wins and we would definitely win enough of his starts to keep us at a 100-win pace.

We need to score runs to win regardless of who is out there but you said it though as if we were trotting Jordan Lyles out there and needed to score more than usual.

His line yesterday looked like standard Keuchel, and at $4.5M vs the $20M+ that Keuchel wanted, you can't ask for anything more than that. You don't pay a guy $4.5M in 2019 expecting a Cy Young. You hope for 6 innings and 3 runs and you have a great bullpen and you're supposed to have a lineup that is going to score 5.5 runs per game and if you have all of those things, you win 60-65% of Miley's starts, which you're thrilled with from a back end of the rotation guy.

Edit to say: I posted the above without getting a chance to read your last post. I think we mostly agree.
AustinCountyAg
nothing to add, but I am excited to watch the game tonight. Monday night baseball gives me something to look forward to on a depressing day at work after the weekend.

would also like to add that I wanna drink a beer with Brad's dad while at a game....

ClickClack
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

nothing to add, but I am excited to watch the game tonight. Monday night baseball gives me something to look forward to on a depressing day at work after the weekend.

This
Prosperdick
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

would also like to add that I wanna drink a beer with Brad's dad while at a game....

I want to drink a beer with the interviewer.
shano0603
AG
Prosperdick said:

AustinCountyAg said:

I want to drink a beer with the interviewer.
I'll jump on the grenade and take the other woman in the picture.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I bet the "blonde" granny behind her would greatly appreciate the sentiment
Eso si, Que es
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Altuve is temporarily below correa and diaz on my **** list.
just for clarity, wouldn't higher on the **** list be a worse position than lower on the **** list?

For example, my **** list reads:

1. Alexandria Ocasio Cortez
2. Angel Hernandez
3. Obama

If Angel Hernandez were to throw AJ out of a game in the first inning, he would climb higher up my **** list, If AOC could keep her mouth closed 3 hours, she would fall down my **** list.

It goes without saying, Joe West is #0 on my **** list and can never fall any lower.
bearkatag15
AG
Colin Moran just had a nice HR for the pirates in the bottom of the 8th to get them the lead back over the cards
linkdude
AG
He's driven in 3 on the day, 2 run double in the first, and the go ahead homer. Also he has homered 2 straight home openers for the Pirates.
CFTXAG10
AG
. . .
Deluxe
AG
Other than Jake in the 9 hole instead of the 3 hole, I like that lineup.

EDIT: In Hinch's defense, I do understand the philosophy of wanting a strong offensive player hitting 9th to turn the lineup over.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Deluxe said:

Other than Jake in the 9 hole instead of the 3 hole, I like that lineup.

EDIT: In Hinch's defense, I do understand the philosophy of wanting a strong offensive player hitting 9th to turn the lineup over.
It's funny how things change in a year. I can't imagine anyone calling Marisnick "a strong offensive player" at any point last year with a straight face.
DVC2010
AG
I don't think Deluxe's face is particularly straight right now.
First Page Last Page
Page 22 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.