***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,848,453 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
McInnis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Threadbare said:

3 Toed Pete said:

Harry Dunne said:

Buck Compton said:

Farmer1906 said:

Buck Compton said:

It's not a discussion and the answer is no. There's already too many up there.

Being in the rafters should mean you were an all-time great and spent like 85% of that career (and most of those accomplishments) in Houston.
so no Ryan for Verlander for you?
Ryan was a mercenary and played for a long time for 4 teams. He isn't iconic for us, hell he's in the actual HOF as a Ranger.
One of the most ignorant takes I have read in a long time. Nolan Ryan is not iconic for the Astros?!?!

Even if you weren't around in the 80s when Nolan WAS the Houston Astros, the amount of #34 jerseys you still see at every game should tell you otherwise.
Yes. Calling him a mercenary is ridiculous. The only reason he left Houston is because McMullen wouldn't resign him at a reasonable price because of his age. He didn't have much choice but to leave Houston.
Yeah, but the Astros signed Jim Clancy in his place for a little less money, so it all worked out well for them...
I think we were reading here a couple of months ago about a game he started in '89 and gave up something like 8 runs in the first inning without recording an out.

I know it's tempting to hope that Cole will sign with the Astros for a discount. But he won't for the same reason that Nolan walked away from the Astros. He didn't need the money but he felt an obligation to other players not to mess up the salary scale. He said that at the time and I think he meant it. And we've already heard Cole thank players before him for the opportunity he's about to get.
Threadbare
Cynic said:

gigemJTH12 said:

Long way to go to win this thing.

I will say this though. With Verlanders 0-5 World Series Record and 1-3 this postseason off a Cy Young season, it sure feels like the perfect opportunity for a great person and great baseball player to right those wrongs and have a career altering performance to bring home the trophy.

would be really freakin awesome.

Go 35. Do it.

Not sure if this is accurate but I don't think he has closed out a series for us yet.

2017 Game 6 WS - Lost
2019 - Game 4 ALDS - Lost
2019 - Game 5 ALCS - Lost

This.

I love Verlander, but he's 0-5 lifetime in the WS (as noted above) with a 5.73 ERA.

If he doesn't win this game, and the Astros go on to lose in 7, he's getting into Kershaw territory, at least for WS appearances. (ALCS and ALDS numbers are solid though).

EDIT: His WS numbers are actually worse than Kershaw.

The game 6 starting pitching advantage is clearly on the side of Washington.
astros4545
AG
redline248
AG
third coast.. said:

I've never seen a horse beaten to death so bad as this gd tucker v Reddick one. JFC

The biggest reason it continues is bc neither have done anything to put the discussion to rest. I will agree that Tucker is more likely to take a walk, but that's the only small advantage, imo. I also agree with previous poster that Marisnick deserves consideration.

I like Tucker better in a pinch hit spot
Threadbare
Safe at Home said:

Threadbare said:

3 Toed Pete said:

Harry Dunne said:

Buck Compton said:

Farmer1906 said:

Buck Compton said:

It's not a discussion and the answer is no. There's already too many up there.

Being in the rafters should mean you were an all-time great and spent like 85% of that career (and most of those accomplishments) in Houston.
so no Ryan for Verlander for you?
Ryan was a mercenary and played for a long time for 4 teams. He isn't iconic for us, hell he's in the actual HOF as a Ranger.
One of the most ignorant takes I have read in a long time. Nolan Ryan is not iconic for the Astros?!?!

Even if you weren't around in the 80s when Nolan WAS the Houston Astros, the amount of #34 jerseys you still see at every game should tell you otherwise.
Yes. Calling him a mercenary is ridiculous. The only reason he left Houston is because McMullen wouldn't resign him at a reasonable price because of his age. He didn't have much choice but to leave Houston.
Yeah, but the Astros signed Jim Clancy in his place for a little less money, so it all worked out well for them...
I think we were reading here a couple of months ago about a game he started in '89 and gave up something like 8 runs in the first inning without recording an out.

I know it's tempting to hope that Cole will sign with the Astros for a discount. But he won't for the same reason that Nolan walked away from the Astros. He didn't need the money but he felt an obligation to other players not to mess up the salary scale. He said that at the time and I think he meant it. And we've already heard Cole thank players before him for the opportunity he's about to get.
Yeah, Cole made it clear that he intends to break the bank, and he can. My guess (as so many have suggested) is that he ends up in a Yankees uniform.

The criticism they got this year for not getting another elite starter has been savage and stinging.

I think Cashman will get the go-ahead to open up the vault...
n_touch
Quote:

My guess (as so many have suggested) is that he ends up in a Yankees uniform.

Doubtful. They may offer it but he will take less than their offer to play for the Angels or another Cali team.
AustinAg2K
If the Yankees and Angels get into a bidding war Cole could end with $400 million. I have no doubt that is Boras's plan.
Marvin
AG
AustinAg2K said:

If the Yankees and Angels get into a bidding war Cole could end with $400 million. I have no doubt that is Boras's plan.

I think he'll get close to $300 million, but no way $400.
tjack16
AG

I was at two of these... ALDS Game 2, 2017. ALCS Game 2 2019

Pretty wild that this has happened so often
n_touch
AustinAg2K said:

Hopefully his plan works out better for Cole than it did Dallas and Maldanado
Threadbare
n_touch said:

Quote:

Doubtful. They may offer it but he will take less than their offer to play for the Angels or another Cali team.
I don't think he'll take much less.

His comment about the free agents that went before him spoke volumes.

I think he feels an obligation to at least come close to maxing it out.
Sid Farkas
AG
n_touch said:

Quote:

He'll probably want to play for a winner in SoCal...ie the dodgers
Mr.Bond
AG
250 million over 7 years is about what I expect for Cole
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

AggiEE
Farmer1906 said:

Now back to the most important topic.

Who gets the start in right tomorrow?

My vote if TED.

Reddick's OPS is only higher than Urquidy, Cole, Greinke, and Diaz (only 2 ABs).

He's made contact 15x (includes foul balls) and has yet to crack 90 MPH exit velo. His hit was smashed a whopping 62.1 MPH/

Teddy Baseball on the other hand show the ability to draw a few walks and actually hit the ball with a little velocity in his very limited ABs. (hard hit foul off of Hudson & a line drive single just under the hard-hit minimum).

I think the Astros are going to want to start a grizzled veteran at striking out, popping out, not taking a walk, no base stealing threat (not that it matters if you don't get on base), and making routine fly balls look heroic.

the obvious answer is Reddick
Mr.Bond
AG
Sid Farkas said:

n_touch said:

Quote:

He'll probably want to play for a winner in SoCal...ie the dodgers

I think him going to NY is less likely than him staying in Houston
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Big Al 1992
AG
I vote for orange jerseys Tuesday. It's what we wear when the World Series is being won.
Bryan98
AG
Buck Compton said:

Harry Dunne said:

Buck Compton said:

My use of the term mercenary was because he spent significant time with 4 teams (4 NYM, 8 Angels, 9 Houston, 5 Rangers). Not as a slight on him as a person, but because that's how his career reads when you make a decision to retire a number. You could actually argue that his best numbers were with the Angels

You probably should have used "journeyman" or something then. "Mercenary" means someone whose loyalty is determined strictly by money, but isn't used for everyone who just takes the best deal available. It has a negative connotation.
Thinice
Mr.Bond said:

250 million over 7 years is about what I expect for Cole

I want him to get a HUGE deal with the Angels, tying up about 105 mil next year on 3 players.
Texas A&M

Hopefully Hakeem throws a pitch better than he threw punches back in the day.

BMX Bandit
Quote:

. "Mercenary" means someone whose loyalty is determined strictly by money

Like picking HoF hat based on who pays you?
Threadbare
Texas A&M said:

Hopefully Hakeem throws a pitch better than he threw punches back in the day.

Billy Paultz..... "The Whopper"
Mathguy64
AG
The Dream is nice. I would like to see Baggy toss one to Bidge. He probably can't get it there with that shoulder though.
McInnis
AG
Verlander's post season era:

First inning, 16.20

After first inning, 1.77

I think we know what the key to tomorrow night's game is.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Safe at Home said:

Verlander's post season era:

First inning, 16.20

After first inning, 1.77

I think we know what the key to tomorrow night's game is.

Bring in a starter!

./kidding
InnerCityAg
Start with Rondon.
Sid Farkas
AG
Texas A&M said:

Worth the price of admission all by itself
Deluxe
AG
Section 309 tomorrow. Some decent deals on Vividseats rn.
irish pete ag06
AG
2 things:

1. The Nolan Ryan angst about his hat in the hall of fame will all be relieved when Verlander wears an Astros hat.

2. I once waited behind Clyde Drexler in Vegas for a cab. Me and my buddies started whispering that we recognized him. He heard us and looked back at us and winked then fell face first into the back of the cab. Dude was a having a really good time that night apparently.
Beat40
Let's go win this thing in 6, boys! End it tomorrow, please!
Aggie1391
Just bought my ticket for section 421!
the last of the bohemians
This board is losing focus on what's really important ... did we decide on the top 5 baseball movies?
redline248
AG
the last of the bohemians said:

This board is losing focus on what's really important ... did we decide on the top 5 baseball movies?

Major League
Bull Durham
The Natural
Sandlot
61*
Farmer1906
AG
1 & 2 are Sandlot & Major League. There is a significant gap after those. 3 & 4 are Bull Durham & Moneyball for me. Idk what 5 would be.
Texas A&M
the last of the bohemians said:

Sandlot
The Rookie
Major League
gigemJTH12
AG
For the Love of the Game is so hard to leave out of that top 5. Movie is nails.
First Page Last Page
Page 1967 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.