***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,293 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
the last of the bohemians
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does this team purposely try to win in style?
AgsMnn
AG
Did you notice the banner behind home is different for the Russian version
agsquirrel97
AG
ajolly said:

Just realized the titanic baseball account got banned. So sad

The best part was always the editing to reshot the big part in slow mo as the clip was wrapping up
annie88
AG
I didn't know the bold part. I've been an Astros fan since 1970 and have seen them up and down but didn't know that part. That's fantastic.

Quote:

Altuve, who is the shortest active player in Major League Baseball, tried out for the Astros in his native Venezuela in 2007. He was cut from contention, though, because he was considered too small.

Altuve persisted, impressing scouts enough to garner a $15,000 contract at age 17.

After working his way up the Astros farm system, Altuve made his debut in the Majors in July 2011. The very next season, Altuve made his first All-Star team.

In 2013, his play impressed management enough to draw a four-year contract extension.

While his stature is no secret, Altuve's size has drawn a humorous tribute in the form of "How Many Altuves?" The online calculator equates home run distance with Altuve's height.

Thanks to dependable slugging and base running, Altuve has constantly been in the conversation for MVP. In 2016, during a year that the Astros were far from playoff contention, Altuve finished third for the AL MVP race.

In 2017, with the Astros winning their division, Altuve not only won the batting title, he opened the team's playoff run with three home runs. He became only the 9th ballplayer in MLB history to hit three round-trippers in a single playoff game.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FJB TRUMP 2024.
CFTXAG10
AG
As much as I hate FS1 and their broadcast team I gotta tip the cap for them flashing the stat about Chapman only giving up 3 home runs all season long. Y'all the real MVP
Bonfired
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

I cannot believe Chapman even came close to the strike zone with Jake on deck.

But I'm glad he did!

Amen.

Just got home...I think I hurt my arm high-fiving people around the concourse. That went from "oh, boy..." to "HOLY *****" in just a few minutes' time.

I'm exhausted, but wired up. What a sports day!
Agnzona
Safe at Home said:

By game one the Astros will have had two days of rest, Washington will have had six. Who does that favor?

Teams that have had 6 or more days off are 3-3 in the world series since 1990s. The 3 winning teams also had home field advantage. I don't think it helps them.
agproducer
AG
Tonight is why baseball is the best game in the world. We were totally deflated. George worked a 2 out walk against one of the best closers in the game. Then Altuve, the smallest guy on the field blasts a 400+ foot home run to win.

It's been a hell of a ride with you guys this year. I've enjoyed chatting with everyone: n_touch, Beat40, Ag 07, mazag, Marvin, Farmer, spadilly, Nuke...

I can't wait to continue this in the World Series!
CFTXAG10
AG
It's floating around everywhere so Ill drop it here:

Is Jose Altuve the greatest Astro of all time?
Goat Man
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Yes and it's not close
mike_ags_fan12
AggieMD95
AG
titanmaster_race said:

mathguy86 said:

Oh. And by the way. The media maligned bull pen gave up 2 runs through 8.1. Not too shabby for a bunch of hacks.

Bullpen did a damn good job tonight. This whole team did.

We've gone toe to toe with the best bullpens in baseball and our guys have always answered the call. Dodgers in 2017 and Yanks in 2019.
agproducer
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Still Baggy or Biggio. Altuve plays out the rest of his contract here, hands down he is the best Astro of all time.
BMX Bandit
Quote:

We were totally deflated

Here's the thing. This team was NOT deflated.
agproducer
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

We were totally deflated

Here's the thing. This team was NOT deflated.

Ok. Maybe I should have said, "The fans were deflated."
HTownAg98
This will be the first decade since 1910 that the Yankees won't be in the World Series. The Astros took them out three times.
Frok
AG
agproducer said:

CFTXAG10 said:

Still Baggy or Biggio. Altuve plays out the rest of his contract here, hands down he is the best Astro of all time.

There is no doubt about it that Altuve is the greatest Astro of all time
AggieMD95
AG
annie88 said:

I didn't know the bold part. I've been an Astros fan since 1970 and have seen them up and down but didn't know that part. That's fantastic.

Quote:

Altuve, who is the shortest active player in Major League Baseball, tried out for the Astros in his native Venezuela in 2007. He was cut from contention, though, because he was considered too small.

Altuve persisted, impressing scouts enough to garner a $15,000 contract at age 17.

After working his way up the Astros farm system, Altuve made his debut in the Majors in July 2011. The very next season, Altuve made his first All-Star team.

In 2013, his play impressed management enough to draw a four-year contract extension.

While his stature is no secret, Altuve's size has drawn a humorous tribute in the form of "How Many Altuves?" The online calculator equates home run distance with Altuve's height.

Thanks to dependable slugging and base running, Altuve has constantly been in the conversation for MVP. In 2016, during a year that the Astros were far from playoff contention, Altuve finished third for the AL MVP race.

In 2017, with the Astros winning their division, Altuve not only won the batting title, he opened the team's playoff run with three home runs. He became only the 9th ballplayer in MLB history to hit three round-trippers in a single playoff game.

There's a documentary out there about all that. Interviews his dad and some early astros scoutsthat were involved. It's pretty eye opening and touching. You really get a feel for his humble beginnings and how hard he works. It's a few years old now.
dshedd41
S
Well goodnight! If I'm gonna make it to church tomorrow, I better hit the hay!
Gig’em Aggies!
Mr.Bond
AG
HTownAg98 said:

This will be the first decade since 1910 that the Yankees won't be in the World Series. The Astros took them out three times.

2 you mean?
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

HTownAg98
Ground crew is like "******* confetti."
spadilly
S
CFTXAG10 said:

Yes, and i used to argue with anyone who tried to tell me he was better than Biggio.
Bregxit
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Ground crew is like "******* confetti."

Nah they have a turf vacuum
AggieMD95
AG
Mr.Bond said:

HTownAg98 said:

?

2 you mean?

Wild card 2015?
titanmaster_race
drottermd said:

titanmaster_race said:

mathguy86 said:

Oh. And by the way. The media maligned bull pen gave up 2 runs through 8.1. Not too shabby for a bunch of hacks.

Bullpen did a damn good job tonight. This whole team did.

We've gone toe to toe with the best bullpens in baseball and our guys have always answered the call. Dodgers in 2017 and Yanks in 2019.

Amen
HTownAg98
Mr.Bond said:

HTownAg98 said:

2 you mean?

Took them out in the 2015 Wild Card game.
Texas A&M
agproducer said:

CFTXAG10 said:

I love Bagwrll and Biggio, but Altuve's 'clutch-ness' puts him over the top.
FrioAg 00
AG
Laser Wolf said:

How does Washington compare to NY in terms of skill?

I've watched them all year and several times in the playoffs because I live in DC. They are my second team.

IMHO the Astor's are going to rock them. My call would be 4-1 series.

Their best three hitters (Rendon, Soto and Kendrick) are not ok the same planet as the Stros or NY.

Their best two pitchers would be battling Grienke for our #3 spot.

Their bull pen is really bad.
AggieMD95
AG
Frok said:

agproducer said:

CFTXAG10 said:

He's making a case that he's the greatest major league second baseman of all time . If he continues this pace, I think he will be
maca1028
agproducer
AG
Frok said:

agproducer said:

CFTXAG10 said:

It's a compelling argument, and it's trending that way. Altuve is tracking toward the best. But his stats aren't there yet. He doesn't have the longevity yet, IMO.

Altuve had made it to two WS. Bagwell got to one.

Altuve has .315, 128 HRs, 299 2Bs, 538 RBI, .827 OPSover 9 years. He also has an MVP.

Baggy also has an MVP. Career numbers over 15 years are .297, 449 HR, 488 2Bs, 1529 RBI, .948 OPS.

So, if Jose has longevity, he is the best.
bullard21k
AG
How about big props to urquidy.

Wasn't lights out but ate nearly 3 desperate innings. If he couldn't have given us those we don't bridge to Harris or osuna and are out of pitching by the 8th

(Rondon doesn't even count)
PhatMack19
AG
Academy is open with all of the WS gear.
suburban cowboy
AG
I was at this game... first Astros playoff game in 22 years
Aggie12B
AG
jkag89 said:

I'd rather it not have gone to the bottom of the 9th but there is something to say about giving Damn Yankee fans hope then ripping their hearts out and stomping on it.
So True, So True
First Page Last Page
Page 1673 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.