***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,847,965 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Where is that from?
Teddy Perkins
AG
Athletic
bearkatag15
AG
Thanks.
Premium
AG

I guess we look at the same thing and see something different
expresswrittenconsent
Premium said:

How many other dozens or hundreds of spray charts have you "looked at"? What do you see when you look at it? Which one of you two is an expert again?
bearkatag15
AG
Roof closed tonight. Thought maybe MLB would force it open

mwm
They can turn off the lights of yankee stadium for 2019. The yankees won't play there again this year.
Premium
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Premium said:

How many other dozens or hundreds of spray charts have you "looked at"? What do you see when you look at it? Which one of you two is an expert again?

This is a message board, so none of us? LoL, I'm not the one that brought a spray chart to the table trying to prove a point. I said "maybe" he is predictable and I was hit with a spray chart as proof that I'm wrong.
Farmer1906
AG
One of your circles is half empty in RF. Yuli's spray chart is one of the most spread out in all of baseball.
Liquid Wrench
We need to bring in Dexter for analysis.

expresswrittenconsent
Premium said:

expresswrittenconsent said:

Premium said:

This is a message board, so none of us? LoL, I'm not the one that brought a spray chart to the table trying to prove a point. I said "maybe" he is predictable and I was hit with a spray chart as proof that I'm wrong.

You dont think your "agree to disagree" was a bit of a copout response to someone posting data? I'm with you, I'm also just a fan who doesnt really go deep into the advanced stats. But as such, I dont pretend I can argue what is 'wrong' with yuli, especially against someone breaking down each at bat.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Best I can tell, the Astros had 3 bullpen days this year. They went 0-3 in those games.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/ANA/ANA201907150.shtml
Josh James got the start for an inning, Framber went 4, Joe Smith went 1, McHugh went 2. Astros lost 9-6 to the Angels.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/ANA/ANA201907160.shtml
Rondon started, went 2/3 of an inning and gave up 6. Devo got 1 1/3. Armenteros went 4, then James and Will Harris went 1 each. Astros lost 7-2 to the Angels.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA201908132.shtml
This was the game Cole was scratched in the back half of the WhiteSox double header. Devo went 2, Biagini went 3, Rondon went 2, and Smith went 1. Astros lost 4-1.

What conclusions should we draw from this?

1. Don't start Hector.
2. No seriously, don't start Hector.
3. While you're at it, don't even let Hector leave the dugout.
4. Score quickly, score often.
5. The common theme in 2 of 3 of the games was the bulk of the runs was scored off the opener. The opener must not allow any runs to score.
07ag
AG
time for you to call it

stros win 8-5 tonight
https://ts.la/eric59704
bearkatag15
AG
Luckily 90% of the pitchers used in each of those games won't see the field tonight.
Teddy Perkins
AG
07ag said:

time for you to call it

stros win 8-5 tonight
Stros win 6-4!
crowman2010
AG
07ag said:

time for you to call it

stros win 8-5 tonight

Astros 11
Yanks 4
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
tjholley16 said:

I'll have to be keeping up with the game in Oxford. Was hoping to only have to stress about one game tonight
The Aggies will be disappointing, nothing stressful there.
Teddy Perkins
AG

Pace yourselves boys. Gonna be a late night!
mm98
AG
It's gonna feel like a ncaa regional game pushing 5 hours.
PhatMack19
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Pace yourselves boys. Gonna be a late night!

Way over. In 2 games this series, the Yanks have used 9 by themselves.
JABQ04
AG
07ag said:

time for you to call it

stros win 8-5 tonight

Astros-9
Yanks-7
Sid Farkas
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

tjholley16 said:

I'll have to be keeping up with the game in Oxford. Was hoping to only have to stress about one game tonight
The Aggies will be disappointing, nothing stressful there.
Someone get CDC on the horn stat...Credible risk of a double-BAS outbreak tonight
aTm2004
AG
Felt nervous for game 1 and game 5. Don't feel nervous today...just like 2, 3, & 4.
linkdude
AG
Also, 5 out of the 9 pitchers that pitched in those games are not on the postseason roster, so I don't think there are many conclusions to be drawn. We will be throwing our best (non-Cole) options today.
12law
AG
Game 5 would have been completely different had it been at Minute Maid. The three run homerun probably would have went foul, the solo shot probably doesn't make it out, and Chirinos's shot would have hit off the Crawford box wall at the very least. Yankee Stadium sucks.
Bregxit
AG
12law said:

Game 5 would have been completely different had it been at Minute Maid. The three run homerun probably would have went foul, the solo shot probably doesn't make it out, and Chirinos's shot would have hit off the Crawford box wall at the very least. Yankee Stadium sucks.
So our band box in left is better than their band box in right?

Game 5 would have been completely different if JV hadn't come out like he had smoked a pipe of meth before the game.
mazag08
AG
Bregxit said:

12law said:

So our band box in left is better than their band box in right?

Game 5 would have been completely different if JV hadn't come out like he had smoked a pipe of meth before the game.

Verlander put us in a huge hole, umpire and stadium assisted. Our playoff offense made it a crater.
Beat40
In 2017, I was at a wedding when we clinched to go to the World Series. I will be at a wedding tonight. Let history repeat itself!
mazag08
AG
I was curious about Yuli. I know he has hit the ball hard. But the consensus is that he's just unlucky. I disagree. My thought without any data was that he was hitting balls that would always be outs. They were hit to the middle of the outfield with higher launch angle than usual. My thought was that he was getting under them more than usual.

Fangraphs says that his percentages for line drive / ground ball / fly ball / infield fly ball are 17.5% / 35% / 47.5% / 15.8%. For the regular season, he was 22% / 38% / 39% / 13%.

I know small sample size, but he is definitely hitting less line drives and ground balls and more balls in the air. That isn't a BABIP issue. That's a contact issue.

I'm hoping the small sample leads to a correction tonight.
bearkatag15
AG

So glad Hinch went with Peacock
astros4545
AG
mazag08 said:

I was curious about Yuli. I know he has hit the ball hard. But the consensus is that he's just unlucky. I disagree. My thought without any data was that he was hitting balls that would always be outs. They were hit to the middle of the outfield with higher launch angle than usual. My thought was that he was getting under them more than usual.

Fangraphs says that his percentages for line drive / ground ball / fly ball / infield fly ball are 17.5% / 35% / 47.5% / 15.8%. For the regular season, he was 22% / 38% / 39% / 13%.

I know small sample size, but he is definitely hitting less line drives and ground balls and more balls in the air. That isn't a BABIP issue. That's a contact issue.

I'm hoping the small sample leads to a correction tonight.

His contact is in no way reflective of an 0.050 batting average
iBrad
AG
I'll trust my eyes on Yuli rather than Fangraph percentages. In addition to his line outs, both to the outfield and infield, he also had the ball six inches foul down the right field line that would have been an RBI double.

I have nothing to complain about with his at bats overall. Eventually something will fall for him. He has a lot more hard hit balls than many of the base hits on both sides. Sometimes, you just have to get lucky.
mazag08
AG
I'm not saying that BABIP isn't a part of his struggles. I'm just trying to provide some color as to why. He's not hitting all screaming gappers. The majority of his at bats have turned into routine popups this playoffs. He's facing well above average pitching and they are getting him to lift the ball more than usual. He's also having bad luck on his line drives and ground balls

But it's not like he's historically unlucky. That would be true if his splits showed that he was hitting more line drives and ground balls than usual and not getting hits. He's hitting more fly balls than usual and they aren't going far.
bullard21k
AG
Beat40 said:

In 2017, I was at a wedding when we clinched to go to the World Series. I will be at a wedding tonight. Let history repeat itself!

Was that wedding in the woodlands?
Just an Ag
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 1624 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.