***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,848,816 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
aTm2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can't get a ban for a PM.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Al Roker just told me to expect 40mph winds in NY tomorrow after the rain and that high profile SUVs will have issues on the roads. Should make fielding routine fly balls interesting.
aTm2004
AG
Frok said:

Didi's warning track shot was the scariest moment of the season so far. Man my heart stopped

IIRC, that was the inning the HP ump got a concussion and decided to stop calling strikes for Cole.
Bobcat-Ag
aTm2004 said:

Frok said:

Didi's warning track shot was the scariest moment of the season so far. Man my heart stopped

IIRC, that was the inning the HP ump got a concussion and decided to stop calling strikes for Cole.
They were lucky that did not fctor into the outcome of the game. If that had gone out, the game would have flowed very differently.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Al Roker just told me to expect 40mph winds in NY tomorrow after the rain and that high profile SUVs will have issues on the roads. Should make fielding routine fly balls interesting.
"And there's a sky-high pop up by Alvarez ..... GRAND SLAM!"
FrioAg 00
AG
I'm this game I think chaos favors us because I t's a game we "should" lose.

No advantage in starting pitcher for this one, their bats have been hotter, it's played at their house and they are playing with a must-win mentality.

If extra factors like high winds impact the game - those advantages get watered down and anything can happen. If we somehow pull the W, it's hard to see us losing this series.

This game is much more upside than downside for the Astos, and it's only downside for them
Mathguy64
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Teddy Perkins said:

A pop up would be progress for him right now.
gigemJTH12
AG
mathguy86 said:

MuckRaker96 said:

Teddy Perkins said:

A pop up would be progress for him right now.
he literally ended the game with a pop up yesterday
Frok
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

I'm this game I think chaos favors us because I t's a game we "should" lose.

No advantage in starting pitcher for this one, their bats have been hotter, it's played at their house and they are playing with a must-win mentality.

If extra factors like high winds impact the game - those advantages get watered down and anything can happen. If we somehow pull the W, it's hard to see us losing this series.

This game is much more upside than downside for the Astos, and it's only downside for them

On the flip side, if the game gets called tonight you get to put Greinke and Verlander the next two games in New York. I like the chances of stealing one more with that combo.

Downside is Saturday night is a likely bullpen game with Cole going Sunday.
Ag13
AG
Sorry if already discussed - my co-worker just told me she had heard on the news they are going to make a decision on game by 9am. Anyone else here that?
gigemJTH12
AG
Heres a scenario for you if the game gets rained out today.

Say you win the Greinke start tomorrow.

do you throw 35 for Game 5?

I could make the argument that you roll with the Urquidy/bullpen game.

That gives you Verlander and Cole at home on full rest for 6 and 7. And would be games for the third and fourth consecutive day which would have the Yankee pen worn out.

The chances of them winning both of those games on the road with a worn out pen have to be very very low.

And thats assuming you lose the Urquidy game. You could very well win that game.

I think you probably have to throw 35 with a chance to clinch in NYC, but just looking at the odds of them beating Verlander Cole at home on back to back nights, it is at least an option.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah I heard they want to make a call before guys have to start getting ready, showing up at the ball park, etc etc.
Frok
AG
Quote:

Say you win the Greinke start tomorrow.

do you throw 35 for Game 5?

Absolutely. Go for the kill shot
Ag_07
AG
Big question for me is if we win 1 more in NY and go up 3-2 do you throw Cole in GM 6 at home to finish it?

I don't know because I can see an argument for both sides. That would be an insanely tough call.
BMX Bandit
I do not see an argument to throw Cole on short rest in a non "must win" game.
gigemJTH12
AG
wouldnt that be on 3 days rest? I dont think that would be a tough call. He would be game 7.
Shenaniganz
With regards to the Nats, living near DC I am very happy for the franchise, they've waited a long time to have a good team. I also think a long time waiting between games may cool down their pitching somewhat (at least I hope).

If the game is PPD until tomorrow and there are 4 games in a row, I think we go Greinke game 4, Urquidy/pen game 5, JV G6 and Cole G7. If we can steal one of the two between G4/G5, Astros take it in 6.
Ag_07
AG
The argument would be do what you have to do to not let it get to a 1 game winner take all.

They did it with JV
BMX Bandit
thats a valid point.

but the difference being that in ALDS we had Verlander then Cole, so its getting your two best players in two games.

Here, it would be Cole on short rest, then a prayer.
gigemJTH12
AG
but if that 1 game winner take all is the best pitcher on the planet at home on full rest, you do it for sure.

best case is win the Greinke game and save both JV and Cole for home like my scenario above, IMO.

then if you win an upset in game 5 with Urquidy you're in a perfect spot for the WS.

crowman2010
AG
My honest opinion is that we should go for Urquidy/bullpen game for game 4 regardless of the rain delay.

That leaves ZG, JV, and GC for games 5, 6 and 7. I would rather have that than see ZG go in on game 4, we lose, then have to potentially have a split game between JV and GC with the bullpen back at home. Just doesn't seem logical. In no way do you pitch GC in a non-elimination game setting.

Game 4 - Urquidy/Bullpen
Game 5 - ZG
Game 6 - JV
Game 7 - GC

Looks a lot better than

Game 4 - ZG
Game 5 - JV or Urquidy/Bullpen
Game 6 - Urquidy/Bullpen or JV
Game 7 - GC
iBrad
AG
Not wanting to look ahead, but if you are forced to throw JV and Cole on Saturday and Sunday, neither will be available for games one and two of the World Series. I think you definitely throw JV on Friday if today gets rained out.

Saturday would be a bullpen game for both teams.
aTm2004
AG
BMX Bandit
crowman2010 said:

My honest opinion is that we should go for Urquidy/bullpen game for game 4 regardless of the rain delay.

That leaves ZG, JV, and GC for games 5, 6 and 7. I would rather have that than see ZG go in on game 4, we lose, then have to potentially have a split game between JV and GC with the bullpen back at home. Just doesn't seem logical. In no way do you pitch GC in a non-elimination game setting.

Game 4 - Urquidy/Bullpen
Game 5 - ZG
Game 6 - JV
Game 7 - GC

Looks a lot better than

Game 4 - ZG
Game 5 - JV or Urquidy/Bullpen
Game 6 - Urquidy/Bullpen or JV
Game 7 - GC
I'd much rather have Verlander pitch in NY and bullpen day in Houston
Cromagnum
AG
Ag_07 said:

Big question for me is if we win 1 more in NY and go up 3-2 do you throw Cole in GM 6 at home to finish it?

I don't know because I can see an argument for both sides. That would be an insanely tough call.

You use the big guns as often as you can.

Eso si, Que es
Assuming rainout.

Thought 1: Do the opposite of Yankees. If they throw Tanaka, go with a BP game and Greinke in 5. If they throw BP go with Greinke in 4 and BP in 5, JV+Cole at home.

Thought 2: Go with Greinke in 4 on full rest and JV in 5 on full rest, BP at home and GC at home.

I believe thought #2 works out best for us short term and long term. The short term goal being ALCS and the long term goal being you know what.

Short term, best pitching weapons we have are GC, JV and ZG. if they are on full rest you throw them IMO. ZG is ready on Thursday, JV is ready on Friday, no way you leave a bullet in the chamber during the ALCS.

Long term, anyone who throws this Thursday is ready next Tuesday and anyone you throw this Friday is ready next Wednesday. If we were to have a game next Tue/Wed, I think we would want to use GC, JV or ZG depending on who was rested, why not ensure someone is rested on Tuesday and someone else is rested on Wednesday.

This rain delay is a Godsend in my opinion, don't turn your back on it. This is not some arbitrary Reddick/Tucker, Tucker/Reddick discussion, this is do you throw a cy young pitcher or do you throw a AAAA pitcher in the ALCS?
Ag_07
AG
Part of me thinks go for the kill shot and not let it get to Gm 7. Don't 'concede' a game to be able to use your fall back plan for a winner take all. Play to win the series not to be able to play a GM 7.

But the other side of me thinks let the other guys try and steal it while saving the ace. That security blanket is a damn nice one and not having him (or anyone else) for a GM 7 win or go home would be nerve racking as hell.

Again tough decision. Best solution would be win the next 2 in NY and not have to worry about it which is why I think we go Greinke/JV for 4 and 5
fatdad84ag
AG
Eso si, Que es said:

Assuming rainout.

Thought 1: Do the opposite of Yankees. If they throw Tanaka, go with a BP game and Greinke in 5. If they throw BP go with Greinke in 4 and BP in 5, JV+Cole at home.

Thought 2: Go with Greinke in 4 on full rest and JV in 5 on full rest, BP at home and GC at home.

I believe thought #2 works out best for us short term and long term. The short term goal being ALCS and the long term goal being you know what.

Short term, best pitching weapons we have are GC, JV and ZG. if they are on full rest you throw them IMO. ZG is ready on Thursday, JV is ready on Friday, no way you leave a bullet in the chamber during the ALCS.

Long term, anyone who throws this Thursday is ready next Tuesday and anyone you throw this Friday is ready next Wednesday. If we were to have a game next Tue/Wed, I think we would want to use GC, JV or ZG depending on who was rested, why not ensure someone is rested on Tuesday and someone else is rested on Wednesday.

This rain delay is a Godsend in my opinion, don't turn your back on it. This is not some arbitrary Reddick/Tucker, Tucker/Reddick discussion, this is do you throw a cy young pitcher or do you throw a AAAA pitcher in the ALCS?
The only thing I do not like about thought 2 and everyone pushing for JV in game 5 is that if we, and I hate saying this, lose both of the final 2 in NY, then we are throwing Urquidy/BP in an elimination game.
agsquirrel97
AG
Ag_07 said:

Negative. Game 6 is short rest for Cole, you throw him on full rest in game 7 no matter what, I don't care if it is 3-2 Yankees, Cole is for Sunday because you have to throw a BP game with 4 games in 4 days so throw the BP game Saturday and Cole on Sunday full rest. If you get out of ALCS early then Cole is ready for Tuesday.
Marvin
AG
tjholley16 said:

The nationals World Series merchandise looks pretty sweet

Their spring training gear was nice as well. I was bit disappointed down in West Palm Beach comparing their stuff to the Astros, as they share the same stadium and store.

Side note- was mentioning to my wife how much fun it would be to bookend those two trips this year- watching the Nats and Astros in spring training, and then again in the World Series!
Big Al 1992
AG
Just checked weather again. Waiting on Spadilly gif in the rain.
Bobcat-Ag
Marvin said:

tjholley16 said:

The nationals World Series merchandise looks pretty sweet

Their spring training gear was nice as well. I was bit disappointed down in West Palm Beach comparing their stuff to the Astros, as they share the same stadium and store.

Side note- was mentioning to my wife how much fun it would be to bookend those two trips this year- watching the Nats and Astros in spring training, and then again in the World Series!

My kids thought it looked like Walgreens, so they were dubbed the Walgreens Phamacists at my house.
Eso si, Que es
fatdad84ag said:

Eso si, Que es said:

Assuming rainout.

The only thing I do not like about thought 2 and everyone pushing for JV in game 5 is that if we, and I hate saying this, lose both of the final 2 in NY, then we are throwing Urquidy/BP in an elimination game.
I hate that too, but I bet it is against their BP which makes it a little more tolerable. If they throw BP game before Saturday then shame on us for not winning Greinke vs BP or Verlander vs BP.

At that point, we have seen their BP 3+ times, and they have yet to see UrKidding and Peacock.
gigemJTH12
AG
we are winning the next two games.

we will score at least 6 in both.

we are about to break out with RISP.

who we pitch wont even matter much.
BrokeAssAggie

First Page Last Page
Page 1496 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.