***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,848,417 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cleveland is an offensively crippled team so far this year. Here how they rank in a few categories (Astros in parentheses):

Batting Avg: 29th - .210 (1st - .280)
OBP: 24th - .300 (2nd - .355)
Slugging: 30th - .321(3rd - .489)
OPS: 28th - .621(2nd - .844)
HRs: 28th - 16 (6th - 38)
Runs Scored: 24th - 84 (17th - 113)
astros4545
AG
Mathguy64
AG
So you are saying Cleveland is a team full of Tyler Whites?
bearkatag15
AG
I'm sure they wish they had a team full of Tyler Whites.
Alex Bregman
AG
bearkatag15 said:

I remember when Altuve would get 2-3 hits per night. Those were good times. I don't like seeing him with a batting average in the .270s
I'm a little concerned. With his power streak thus-far, it seems he is swinging for the fence every time now. I'd throw him nothing that wasn't on the outside edge.
n_touch
Most of those were on a tee for him. I would have thought the same about pitching him outside.
DVC2010
AG
iBrad said:

Six games in a row with double digit hits.

This post didn't get nearly enough attention.
bearkatag15
AG

astros4545
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Haters will be found and stomped on

Realmuto sucks!
Ags #1
AG
Don't see what the big deal is? So he got Thrown behind then hits a dinger and takes his time?
TREX01
He needs to start doing that when Altuve comes up
Frok
AG
Interesting stat, all opponents the Astros have played so far are currently over .500.

Frok
AG
Another one, Josh Reddick leads the league in batting right now.

That is shocking to me. I figured he was on his way to irrelevance this year.
Deluxe
AG
And we've done all this playing the majority of our games on the road
Marvin
AG
Frok said:

Interesting stat, all opponents the Astros have played so far are currently over .500.

I was just looking at that this morning. The next sub .500 team is LAA on May 4th.
Marvin
AG
Frok said:

ESPN's relative power index has Houston's strength of schedule as 2nd hardest so far. Seattle, in turn, is middle of the pack. We'll see them regress quite a bit, I think, because they suck, have been lucky, and besides the Astros have played nobody. That's my working theory, anyway...
Farmer1906
AG
Sox are still 5 games under .500 and have played .500 ball over their last 10. Days have built a 6 game lead. I hope this keeps going. I'd like to see just how big of a hole they can out themselves in.
Ag_07
AG

The month of May should be bit easier and should be a good one.

We'll play series with the Angels (.360), Royals (.320), Tigers (.522), 2 w/ the Red Sox (.400), and White Sox (.391). We'll also have one with the Rangers and one with the Cubs who are both hovering right around .500.

I expect to take a strangle hold on the division during the month of May.

Hulla Baller
AG
Ag_07 said:

The month of May should be bit easier and should be a good one.

We'll play series with the Angels (.360), Royals (.320), Tigers (.522), 2 w/ the Red Sox (.400), and White Sox (.391). We'll also have one with the Rangers and one with the Cubs who are both hovering right around .500.

I expect to take a strangle hold on the division during the month of May.

Please let it be like 2017 again.
Harry Dunne
Didn't everyone pile on a guy last year for even talking about SOS?
Harry Dunne
bearkatag15 said:

Was a promising outing for him. Hopefully he can build from that and string some quality outings together to build his confidence
Definitely.

He has spent most of his short minor league career in the "Peacock 2017" role. I can't find his MiLB splits, but I'd love to know if he was more effective as a starter or in the bullpen.
bearkatag15
AG
Harry Dunne said:

bearkatag15 said:

Was a promising outing for him. Hopefully he can build from that and string some quality outings together to build his confidence
Definitely.

He has spent most of his short minor league career in the "Peacock 2017" role. I can't find his MiLB splits, but I'd love to know if he was more effective as a starter or in the bullpen.
Here you go. Career MILB splits for Starter vs Reliever

I'd say he is slightly better as a reliever but its only minimal.
DVC2010
AG
Harry Dunne said:

That was before we saw Cleveland stroll into the postseason without breaking a sweat.
DVC2010
AG
Harry Dunne said:

That was before we saw Cleveland stroll into the postseason without breaking a sweat.
Harry Dunne
That can't be complete.
bearkatag15
AG
You are right. I that is his MLB splits.

I guess that site doesn't do career MILB split stats, but they do show each year individually so this should give an idea of what we are looking for.

tjack16
AG
I feel like the Sox and Yankees will both get it together sooner rather than later. The yankees have a tougher time with it due to injuries, but Boston will break out of the slump soon.
rosco511
AG
Still a lot of baseball to play. Just remember, the Dodgers were bad for basically the entire first half last year and then made it to the World Series.
Beat40
tjholley16 said:

I feel like the Sox and Yankees will both get it together sooner rather than later. The yankees have a tougher time with it due to injuries, but Boston will break out of the slump soon.
For the Sox, I think it kind of depends on how Sale does. Their pitching has not been good. They have allowed 146 runs and scored 110 runs.

If their pitching doesn't shape up, they may be fighting for a WC spot.
Beat40
Really odd things for the Rays right now - they are 9-7 at home and 7-2 on the road. Shades of 2017 and 2018 Astros.
Ag_07
AG
I think the Red Sox may be digging themselves a hole that's gonna be tough to get out of with the Rays looking legit.

If the Yanks get healthy and play decent ball the Red Sox are gonna be in trouble.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle JD Martinez if they're out of contention in the 2nd half. He has an opt out clause after this year.

Do they think he'll opt out? If so would they consider moving him to get under the luxury tax and reload on some prospects? That kind of bat would fetch a nice load of prospects at the trade deadline.
W
AG
as I recall the SoS discussion from last year involved the Indians. And all the pundits heaping praise on the Tribe and Lindor & Ramirez...

while completely, completely ignoring the garbage schedule they played (via 60 games vs. the Royals, White Sox, and Tigers). And that was proven out in the ALDS beatdown.

kudos to the many posters that recognized that during the 2018 season
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Reddick thankfully has learned from last year that he can't beat the shift so it appears he spent a lot of time working on his oppo swing and it opens up the field for him.
I get it if you are a homerun power hitter, it makes math sense to try and lift the ball, but someone like reddick it's imperative to hit to all fields
Harry Dunne
Kudos indeed, because as I remember they took a ton of $hi7 about it. I need to apologize as well to whoever it was, because I took some cheap shots.
Deluxe
AG
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

Reddick thankfully has learned from last year that he can't beat the shift so it appears he spent a lot of time working on his oppo swing and it opens up the field for him.
I get it if you are a homerun power hitter, it makes math sense to try and lift the ball, but someone like reddick it's imperative to hit to all fields
Exactly. He's not a good enough pull-power hitter to warrant attempting to beat the shift every time up (like maybe Bryce Harper or Jose Ramirez). Really happy to see him abandon that approach this year.

It's very possible that Brantley is also having an effect on him. After Reddick's home run last night, he made a gesture with his hands/wrists toward Brantley as if to say "I did what you said and it worked" and Brantley made the same motion back like "yessir".
First Page Last Page
Page 140 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.