***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,847,731 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Marvin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Are you confident Jake is an upgrade over White?

Any benefit (if there even is one) offensively for White is more than made up for defensively by Marisnick. I don't think it's close... but I'm sure there's stats that prove it one way or the other.

Just watching Tubby not get within 10 yards of that foul pop last night, and fall over trying to field several infield throws, it makes you wonder what exactly he offers defensively. Nothing to me, but Luhnow knows 1000% more than I do so there's got to be something.
redline248
AG
I look at tonight's lineup and my immediate thought is, "why isn't Marisnick at DH?" White brings nothing, that I've seen
Farmer1906
AG
Marvin said:

Farmer1906 said:

Any benefit (if there even is one) offensively for White is more than made up for defensively by Marisnick. I don't think it's close... but I'm sure there's stats that prove it one way or the other.

Just watching Tubby not get within 10 yards of that foul pop last night, and fall over trying to field several infield throws, it makes you wonder what exactly he offers defensively. Nothing to me, but Luhnow knows 1000% more than I do so there's got to be something.

Long term, I think White will be better offensively. I don't know if it'll be significant enough to cover the defensive improvement in the OF or not. When Jake is out there all 3 positions get better.

I'd rather not pick between the two. I think there are better options potentially in triple A or via trade.
Farmer1906
AG
redline248 said:

I look at tonight's lineup and my immediate thought is, "why isn't Marisnick at DH?" White brings nothing, that I've seen

Jake should never ever ever be the DH.
agsquirrel97
AG
mathguy86 said:

Farmer1906 said:

I would rather have Yuli defensively at 1B and Jake in CF than White at 1B, Kemp in CF and Yuli DHing. And at the plate I don't feel like Jake is an out waiting to happen, at least not right now.
I agree with this.

Everyday lineup:
Springer 9
Altuve 4
Bregman 5
Brantley DH
Corea 6
Yuli 3
Reddick 7
Chrinos 2
Jake 8

Diaz plays 60 - 80 games to rest infielders
Kemp plays some games to relieve outfielders
Brantley plays some games in the outfield
Stassi relieves Chrinos
with White gone we may be too skinny at infield, Kemp may have to be switched out for a better IF/OF utility player.

13 pitchers
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

redline248 said:

So play him in the OF and DH Brantley? Ok. Just get White out of the lineup.
Farmer1906
AG
redline248 said:

Farmer1906 said:

redline248 said:

So play him in the OF and DH Brantley? Ok. Just get White out of the lineup.
Much better, but Jake is still likely to become the black hole he's been most of his career. I don't like White, but he's probably going to hit better than Jake.

Abreu would be a nice deadline option if he comes back around. He's had a terrible start.
Harry Dunne
All of you saying White is a problem offensively are reverting to the eyeballing days & not looking at the numbers.

Yes he's fat and offensive to look at and is a below average defensive 1b, in so small part because of his huge gut... but he is solid offensively and he's on par with Gattis as the best DH we have had.

We had the same conversation last year, and everyone said said he was terrible and then he turned out to be pretty good, and the same thing will happen again this year.
Mathguy64
AG
Harry Dunne said:

All of you saying White is a problem offensively are reverting to the eyeballing days & not looking at the numbers.

Yes he's fat and offensive to look at and is a below average defensive 1b, in so small part because of his huge gut... but he is solid offensively and he's on par with Gattis as the best DH we have had.

Bull***** Seriously.

Right now White is slashing .257/.395/.314. In 35 ABs he has 9 hits and 13 Ks. He's scored 1 run and driven in a grand total of 0. Let that sink in. He's a DH whose only job is to hit and he can't get on base and can't drive in the guys in front of him who are getting in. And don't tell me RBI isn't a real stat because it depends on guys in front of you being on base. He hits behind everyone from Springer to Reddick and all of those guys are on base.

Nelson Cruz (Who Lunhow passed on) is at .315/.439/.556 with 3HR, 10 runs and 13 RBI.

Yes we make fun of White being fat. But you know what? He deserves it. His extra weight is not being carried well. His bat looks slow and his feet defensively are like lead bricks. He's out of shape and it's hurting him and by extension the team. If I'm Lunhow and Hinch I'm infuriated with his lack of professionalism in the off season and even worse his lack of ability to drop the weight in spring training.
rosco511
AG
Are you sure Luhnow passed on Cruz? I thought reports said that Astros made a competitive (and perhaps better) offer than Twins but Cruz chose the Twins.
Mathguy64
AG
I'm tired of *****ing about Tyler White

Instead let's focus on another White. It's time for the baby girl to show up and give a little help tonight

W
AG
Miley on the mound
W
AG
Angel Hernandez behind the plate
W
AG
got a call from Angel
Mathguy64
AG
W said:

got a call from Angel

He was wrong. 1 down, 3 to go.
W
AG
1st inning woes continue unabated
Aggie8587
AG
4 straight games giving up a crooked number in the 1st. Holy hell
bearkatag15
AG
Lol WTF
Mathguy64
AG
Mother ****er.
. . .
Here we go again
bobinator
AG
Someone needs to sacrifice a goat or something
spadilly
S
Down three in the first again.
cap-n-jack
This is unbelievable.
W
AG
that HR shot Miley's ERA up to 4.50
Deluxe
AG
bobinator said:

Someone needs to sacrifice a goat or something

I was thinking the same thing
Buck Compton
AG
Is it too ****ing much to ask for a single ****ing first inning without a damn run allowed?? ****.
mwm
In a deep hole. Again.
spadilly
S
Just bring Dallas back at this point. He did the same thing and then would settle down.
Mathguy64
AG
Marwin helping his brothers out.
iBrad
AG
5-3-2-3. First inning runs given up the last four games. Hopefully JV can stop the trend.
mwm
You think White & the twins' pitcher would agree to sumo wrestle each other?
Deluxe
AG
I wish they'd get rid of the tv strike zone with Hernandez behind the plate.
W
AG
Angel's zone is growing
n_touch
I wish the would get rid of Hernandez behind the plate
Deluxe
AG
Nicely done
First Page Last Page
Page 129 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.