***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,847,711 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Deluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sucks to lose a game where Springer, Bregman, Correa, Brantley and Reddick all homer
agdaddy04
AG
The D said:

Thanks AJ for leaving mchugh in so long

Freaking Gallo pop up killed you
tjack16
AG
Mchugh and Cole might need to walk back to Houston tonight
Buck Compton
AG
mwm said:

They've been gone for what? 10-11days? Two cities & a dump? Maybe getting home will provide some spark.
Well the MLB decided to **** us with 16 of the first 21 on the road. We've played just as many games at the **** ballpark in Arlington as we have at our own ballpark. That's stupid.
Gap
AG
Hinch might as well have given everyone the day off given how he managed the game.
PSully97
AG
Harry Dunne said:

I don't second-guess AJ a lot, but why leave McHugh in? Throw Framber in there and give us a chance while the game is at least slightly within reach.

We can score 5-6 runs in 5 innings. 9-10 is a lot tougher.
Aggie95
AG
Is this going be a year where we go like 4-14 against the stupid rangers?
shady
AG
Inexcusable to lose a game to the Arlington Rangers when we score 10 runs.

Hate losing games to scrub teams.
W
AG
well, on the bright side...the Astros only have 1 series left in Arlington the rest of the way
W
AG
and shame on the pitching staff...made Joey Gallo look like a superstar this weekend
DVC2010
AG
W said:

well, on the bright side...the Astros only have 1 series left in Arlington the rest of the way

On the less bright side, that series is in the middle of July.
W
AG
and it's a 4-gamer, so Cole will probably get another start
Silent For Too Long
By a freak of scheduling they got a lot of their home games up front. So they won their home series on some anomaly performances from our starting pitchers. No big deal.

We'll beat their ass in the juice box and play games in October silver boot or not. The nut grabbers needed this. The peak of their season is beating the Astors in April.
94chem
W said:

and shame on the pitching staff...made Joey Gallo look like a superstar this weekend

The numbers thus far say Adam Dunn, but he is still 25 years old. Jim Thome power with Dave Winfield athleticism is still the ceiling. Should learn a lot this season about Gallo.
W
AG
it has been a tough start with the home vs. road game split.

the Astros will "catch up" with the 10-game homestand at the end of May
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Overall, not worried at all.

That said, obligatory:

I have all the trust in the world with Luhnow, but one thing I don't like this far is not having a "go for the throat" mentality in the trade/FA market. Last year, if the team was healthy, was a better team than the prior years WS team. This year I don't think we are as good as either one of those teams, but still will compete for a title.

We will be good for a very long time. Will we be "great"?

1) Tyler white is incredibly frustrating to watch
2) starting pitching isn't where it needs to be. Still think we need an elite starting arm. Yes I realize every single team can say the same thing. For this starting pitching to be where it was last year, we need McHugh to be better than or equal to lance, Miley to be greater than it equal to Morton, and Verlander and Cole to be as good as they were last year. That's a lot to live up to.

I'm not saying anything Luhnow doesn't already know, so let's see how he handles it.
agproducer
AG
What a cluster **** of a weekend in Arlington!

The guys showed fight after the starting pitching really let them down.

Cole and McHugh have been solid. Even the sun shines on a dog's ass every once in awhile. I guess the rangerettes finally got a little sun. It's just a matter of time before they are back in the basement.
Deluxe
AG
I think the starting pitching will be alright. Other than the Rangers, we've been fine. And the Rangers have a unique circumstance. They have some talented hitters who, IMO, are benefiting greatly from Woodward and his modern approach to the game. Sharp contrast from 1960s-relic Jeff Bannister. It's going to take the league a month or two to adjust to the Rangers' hitters' adjustments, at which time they'll descend back to their projected spot at the bottom of the AL west.

We've had six games against the Rangers. Two strong pitching performances (Peacock and JV's second). Cole got some bad breaks his first outing and didn't have his stuff in his second. Not worried about Cole in the long run. JV's first outing was meh not a disaster. McHugh's was a disaster, but he's been good otherwise.

I'm pretty comfortable with our current five through the end of May, then re-evaluate. Then we got Whitley in the queue. Or maybe the light bulb will have clicked for James at that point.
bearkatag15
AG

Ag_07
AG
Looks like Cole was tipping his pitches the other night.

https://www.mlb.com/astros/news/gerrit-cole-astros-fall-to-rangers

Quote:

"I felt like they were on a lot of stuff in the first inning, especially their takes and some of their pitches they chose to swing at," Cole said. "I think they were maybe a little bit of a step ahead of me in terms of maybe being able to identify what pitch I was throwing. I made some adjustments throughout the game and that seemed to clean that up, and by the time I got to the fifth, I was dog tired and started to spray again. I got as deep as I could. I kept trying to make quality pitches."
Quote:

After watching video postgame, Cole said he could tell what pitches he was going to throw without knowing and could only assume the Rangers could as well.

"That's part of the game," Cole said. "You've just got to clean that up. I mean, if you're tipping, you've still got to put a good swing on the pitch. It's not like that was all their fault. I certainly could have done a better job of trying to slow it down myself."
Deluxe
AG
Yep. And I bet he could have gotten away with it against the Bannister Rangers, but not the Woodward Rangers.
Harry Dunne
94chem said:

W said:

The numbers thus far say Adam Dunn, but he is still 25 years old. Jim Thome power with Dave Winfield athleticism is still the ceiling. Should learn a lot this season about Gallo.
Gallo has about as much in common with Winfield as a pack mule does with a quarter horse.
Frok
AG
Anyone following the minors closely have any impressions of Tucker? His stats look really bad.
Farmer1906
AG
Frok said:

Anyone following the minors closely have any impressions of Tucker? His stats look really bad.

He's mentally broken. The constant hating on him from his own fanbase ended any potential he had. Good job, guys. RIP TED.
bodaciousbood14
AG
Watched him hit an absolute DINGER against Memphis that looked effortless. He'd be an interesting call up.
Marvin
AG
Couple of Aggies on the Rangers thread have lost their minds. Grapesoda, whoever that dude is, has some serious hate going on for Aggie Astro fans. You can root for your team without acting like a juvenile twit.
Deluxe
AG
Marvin said:

Couple of Aggies on the Rangers thread have lost their minds. Grapesoda, whoever that dude is, has some serious hate going on for Aggie Astro fans. You can root for your team without acting like a juvenile twit.

I think it's cute. Let them have their fun in April.
Mathguy64
AG
They are busy telling themselves the WS win was a fluke. Its cute.

Odor is a top 5-10 all time 2B and our WS win was a fluke. Geniuses.
Deluxe
AG
Haha yea. Win 204 games over two years with a +459 run differential, but cashing in a world series one of the years is a fluke.
Ag12thman
AG
Silent For Too Long said:

By a freak of scheduling they got a lot of their home games up front. So they won their home series on some anomaly performances from our starting pitchers. No big deal.

We'll beat their ass in the juice box and play games in October silver boot or not. The nut grabbers needed this. The peak of their season is beating the Astors in April.
YEP.

The Rangers fans are smiling big right now, but not for long.
bearkatag15
AG
#10 for Yordan Alvarez

Daddy-O5
AG
Marvin said:

He spends an inordinate amount of time on the politics board griping about weed laws. Might explain something.
agsquirrel97
AG
Kicking off a 7 game homestand against the AL Central, starting with a 3 game series against ALCentral leading Minnesota Twins (12-7).

We are 1 game back of division and league leading Seattle Mariners (16-9)

Better bring the bats!

bearkatag15
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Video of the HR

https://www.milb.com/video/alvarez-hits-10th-homer/c-2524574883
tjack16
AG
Headed to the juice box tonight ... we need to get back on the winning track
First Page Last Page
Page 123 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.