***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,848,880 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Buck Compton said:

I do want to remind everyone that 4 weeks ago, some people on this thread wanted Greinke gone or severely limited in October and to roll with Miley as the playoff #3

I thought about pulling a few of those takes.
the last of the bohemians
Professional pitcher... don't be surprised if he has the best post season
AggiEE
How does your back get tight for days by being on a flight?

Correa is such a disappointment

So glad the Yankees have lost and we have Bregman

Mr President Elect
AG
Buck Compton said:

I do want to remind everyone that 4 weeks ago, some people on this thread wanted Greinke gone or severely limited in October and to roll with Miley as the playoff #3

Umm this is TexAgs... I'm sure you can find several posts in May wanting Cole dealt.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Farmer1906 said:

This has to be one of the most dominant back to back pitching performances ever.
33 years ago this week

September 23, 1986
Astros 4, Dodgers 0
Jim Deshaies complete game 2 hit shutout, strikes out first 8 batters in a row, 10 total.

September 24, 1986
Astros 6, Giants 0
Nolan Ryan 8 innings, 1 hit, 12 strikeouts.

September 25, 1986
Astros 2, Giants 0
Mike Scott, no hitter, 13 strikeouts, Astros win the West. Only pitcher in history to clinch a division with a no-hitter.

Boys, we were 2 outs away from a no-hitter 33 years to the day after Scotty's.

Teddy Perkins
AG
So most wins in franchise history. That's cool.
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906
AG
kb2001
AG
Astros are now 1 win away from locking up home field for the AL, and 2 wins away from locking it up for the WS as well (Dodgers are up by 1 in the 8th, so this could become 1 game if they blow it). Tiebreakers are all in our favor, both for the AL and the WS. Great season to be an Astros fan. Let's finish strong and Take it Back!
astros4545
AG
Greenie
''This is the best two man staff I've been on, not the best three man staff I've ever been on if you include me"

Paraphrasing,but very funny
Mr President Elect
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Didn't he have 12 wins in the NL(not sure)? Never mind I see below it was only 10
bearkatag15
AG

Bregxit
AG
Chapman 2-run bomb in top of the 9th gives Oakland a 3-2 lead.
Mr President Elect
AG
Do we really care at this point? I am just rooting for max chaos and home field throughout
astros4545
AG
I prefer to play the As of all the WC contenders
Philip J Fry
AG
AggiEE said:

He must have something structurally wrong with his back. Not just muscular
Bregxit
AG
willjohnathan said:

Do we really care at this point? I am just rooting for max chaos and home field throughout
If you are rooting for max chaos then you care since Oakland winning pulls them further above Cleveland.
BMX Bandit
AggiEE said:

Know how I know you have never had back problems?

BMX Bandit
Bregman WAR now at 8.2 (Trout 8.3)

gigemJTH12
AG
why do most people on Twitter still act like its some foregone conclusion Trout wins?

is there some super nerdy Baseball stat that Trout is way ahead on?

Because looking at it like a normal fan, its 50/50 at best.
Ags #1
AG
So what should he do in the post season? Does he lay down the whole flight? Question since i'Ve never had those types of back issues
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

why do most people on Twitter still act like its some foregone conclusion Trout wins?

Because Trout got off to an enormous start, and unless a pennant chase is really close down to the wire, most writers aren't really paying attention to stats accumulated in the last couple of weeks. Bregman has been awesome, but the Astros are so far out in front that it's hard to say he's the MVP. I'm not even sure he's the MVP of the team, because like you, I watch them every single day and I know how important other guys are overall - Springer, Altuve, Verlander, Cole - and in-season (Gurriel, Brantley).

The Astros' lineup is an embarrassment of riches. And that can take away from the accomplishments of one individual. Put Trout's #s up to the rest of his team, and most fans think OMG this guy is carrying them. Put Bregman's #s up to the rest of his team and you see he's having a great season, but so are a lot of other guys.

And if you look at baseball's history - this happens a ton. The guy with the biggest stat numbers tends to win it, no matter where his team finishes.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Ags #1 said:

So what should he do in the post season? Does he lay down the whole flight? Question since i'Ve never had those types of back issues
Drive everywhere on a bus with DeShaun Watson and Royce White.
gigemJTH12
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

gigemJTH12 said:

Because Trout got off to an enormous start, and unless a pennant chase is really close down to the wire, most writers aren't really paying attention to stats accumulated in the last couple of weeks. Bregman has been awesome, but the Astros are so far out in front that it's hard to say he's the MVP. I'm not even sure he's the MVP of the team, because like you, I watch them every single day and I know how important other guys are overall - Springer, Altuve, Verlander, Cole - and in-season (Gurriel, Brantley).

The Astros' lineup is an embarrassment of riches. And that can take away from the accomplishments of one individual. Put Trout's #s up to the rest of his team, and most fans think OMG this guy is carrying them. Put Bregman's #s up to the rest of his team and you see he's having a great season, but so are a lot of other guys.

And if you look at baseball's history - this happens a ton. The guy with the biggest stat numbers tends to win it, no matter where his team finishes.

he is the MVP of this team without a doubt. He mans the whole left side of the infield and he has been available all year through a lot of injuries.

and on the point about Numbers, Trouts Numbers arent better outside of home runs and OBP. Bregman has him in every other category.
JYDog90
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

gigemJTH12 said:

I get what you're saying but if you look at Springer's, Altuve's, and Correa's significant time on the IL this year, to still do what the Astro's have done is amazing. And the one constant through that whole time has been Bregman.
iBrad
AG
Lower back issues ended my college playing career. The daily grind and swinging the bat everyday takes its toll. Mine goes out occasionally, which generally consists of painful lower back spasms making it difficult to stand upright and move around. There's no day-to-day with it. It's more like week-to-week.

I don't know if Correa's is career threatening, but it's definitely career limiting. At this point, you do have to balance trading him versus getting what you can get from him each season, but never being able to count on him. Signing him long-term shouldn't even be under consideration anymore.
JABQ04
AG
Sucks the last week is on the west coast. I get up too early to watch all these games.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Ag_07
AG
Quote:

I'm not even sure he's the MVP of the team

BCSGrubber
AG
790 had a segment on this topic this morning
wangus12
AG
I'd like to apologize for losing us the no-hitter last night. I fell asleep in the 7th
Prosperdick
AG
I for one hope Bregman doesn't win the MVP because there are a select few outstanding players who can take their game to an even higher level when they feel they've been slighted in some way. Bregman is one of those select few and I want him to embarrass every single writer who put Trout's name ahead of his.

If his career continues the way it is he will have PLENTY of other opportunities for that hardware. In fact I'd love for his mission to be to win the WS MVP like his buddy George.
agsquirrel97
AG
Ags #1 said:

Everywhere and all the time. With a sign that says, "In case of emergency, break glass"

Agnzona
AggiEE said:

I'm thinking there is almost no chance we resign him unless his stock goes down considerably, just no way you can give him big money.
Agnzona
gigemJTH12 said:

Most of the writers had mentally given it to Trout months ago.
First Page Last Page
Page 1105 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.