***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,847,409 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So JV has 2 starts against the Angels and needs 17 SOs to get to 300. Do you let him go for it or do you manage him appropriately.
CoachRTM
AG
SquirrellyDan said:

Frok said:

We can take Oakland, I want the one seed

I do too, but I think avoiding a team in your division who is as hot as anybody is worth more than home field advantage. Oh well, good problem to have I guess.

I understand your thought process, but one other advantage of the 1 seed is that the wild card winner has to pitch their ace in the play-in game., giving you the advantage in pitching matchups for at least the first two games. (And then game 5 if it gets that far)

Game 1 - your #1 vs their #2
Game 2 - your #2 vs their #3
Game 3 - your #3 vs their #1
Game 4 - your #4 vs their #4
Game 5 - your #1 vs their #2
Furlock Bones
AG
wangus12 said:

So JV has 2 starts against the Angels and needs 17 SOs to get to 300. Do you let him go for it or do you manage him appropriately.
i think even JV would say manage it. he's already a first ballot HOF. he wants another ring.
Frok
AG
Let him go. If he's not showing any signs of fatigue then why deviate from his normal schedule?
Prosperdick
AG
wangus12 said:

I'm hoping with all their stars out maybe he can notch 17 in his final start at home. Stranger things have happened.
n_touch
Quote:

Hinch keeping tabs on Cole, Verlander
Hinch pulled Verlander from Tuesday's game after only 87 pitches, which was tied for his fewest pitches thrown this season. It was by design. Hinch told Verlander he was going to keep him under 100 pitches in one of his final starts of the season, if possible, and opted to do it in Tuesday's win over the Rangers in which Verlander threw six scoreless innings.

Verlander, who has 19 wins and is 11 strikeouts shy of reaching 3,000 for his career, will be able to go back over 100 pitches in his next start Sunday in the home finale against the Angels. In his final regular-season start next week at Anaheim, Verlander's workload will likely be ramped down again in order to get him ready for starting Game 1 of the American League Division Series on Oct. 4.
Furlock Bones
AG
CoachRTM said:

SquirrellyDan said:

Frok said:

I do too, but I think avoiding a team in your division who is as hot as anybody is worth more than home field advantage. Oh well, good problem to have I guess.

I understand your thought process, but one other advantage of the 1 seed is that the wild card winner has to pitch their ace in the play-in game., giving you the advantage in pitching matchups for at least the first two games. (And then game 5 if it gets that far)

Game 1 - your #1 vs their #2
Game 2 - your #2 vs their #3
Game 3 - your #3 vs their #1
Game 4 - your #4 vs their #4
Game 5 - your #1 vs their #2
i'm not worried about any ALDS matchup. in fact, i'll be shocked if we lose more than a single game to any team in the first round.
Teddy Perkins
AG
wangus12 said:

Hinch wants him to go for 300 but it sounds like he'll be ramped down in his last start.
Quote:

Verlander, who has 19 wins and is 11 strikeouts shy of reaching 3,000 for his career, will be able to go back over 100 pitches in his next start Sunday in the home finale against the Angels. In his final regular-season start next week at Anaheim, Verlander's workload will likely be ramped down again in order to get him ready for starting Game 1 of the American League Division Series on Oct. 4.

Hinch is sensitive to the fact both Verlander and Cole are chasing 300 strikeouts and are the AL Cy Young favorites, so he wants to treat them equally down the stretch.

"My job is about trying to win every game, but I'm very aware and I want their personal goals to be reached, whatever those are," Hinch said. "I'm very aware they're the top front-runners for the Cy Young. I respect that, and I have a job to do to treat them both fairly."
https://www.mlb.com/astros/news/ryan-pressly-set-to-return-to-face-angels
dshedd41
S
Man, last night was fun but I'm dragging today. Thank God for coffee.
Gig’em Aggies!
CFTXAG10
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Dodger lose.

Astros up 1 game on Yankees and 2 games on Dodgers

Fantastic news to wake up to. Tampa needed that one big time. Gonna be a dog fight for that wild card spot between them and the Indians. A's not safe yet either.
SquirrellyDan
AG
Frok said:

No doubt we can take Oakland.

However, I would trade home field advantage in the ALCS in order to avoid playing the hottest team in baseball (over the last three months really) in a 5 game series.

Other than the Astros, there's no doubt A's and Yankees are the two best teams in the AL....I don't want to have to beat both of them to reach the WS.

I know, I know, get a dog.
Ag_07
AG
WE'RE THE BEST TEAM IN THE AL!!!

Some of you need to start acting like it. This isn't 2015 where we're sneaking into the playoffs looking for an easy route to make an unexpected deep run.

We want home field throughout and being a favorite no matter who we play. Also keep in mind home field in the WS means more games with a DH.
SquirrellyDan
AG
Ag_07 said:

Some of you need to start acting like it. This isn't 2015 where we're sneaking into the playoffs looking for an easy route to make an unexpected deep run.

We want home field throughout and being a favorite no matter who we play. Also keep in mind home field in the WS means more games with a DH.
I agree 100%, and of course I want to finish ahead of the Dodgers and get home field in the WS.

Yes, we're the best team in the AL and one of the best teams ever assembled. That doesn't mean I don't want the easiest path possible to the WS. And to me, that path doesn't include playing the A's in a 5 game series.
Prosperdick
AG
I'm just glad the Red Sox are out of it...sure the A's beat us recently but they are fighting for their lives and certainly aren't worried about starting pitcher's rest or giving one of their stars a day off. They're going 100 mph and we're cruising along at 55 and we STILL should have taken the series from them.
Furlock Bones
AG
Ag_07 said:

no ***** remember that time we beat the AL East champion Red Sox in the ALDS, then beat Yankees in the ALCS and followed that up by beating 104 win 5 straight NL West Champion Dodgers in the World Series all in the same playoffs?

we literally beat 3 of the 4 greatest franchises and great teams to win our first WS.
Panama Red
AG
I guarantee you the entire organization would take playing the A's and having home field advantage over Yankees over not playing the A's and a game 7 in NY
Mathguy64
AG
It's a tough choice. I think the As are better than the Twins and a more difficult matchup with their bullpen. But the home field is important in the ALCS. Best thing? Win the home field and As lose the WC game and we get Cleveland.
Mr President Elect
AG
I'm fine with playing anyone. Get our rotation lined up and let the best team win. The last couple series vs the A's have been a little flukey with having an out of sync rotation and an abysmal Miley start followed by a bullpen game. Then we get an okay JV start but then that is the game we can't score any runs?!?! They have been hot but their lineup isn't as powerful as the twins and their pitching isn't that much better. Actually I probably prefer the A's.
bullard21k
AG
I think a now healthy rotation in Tampa bay makes them a much more difficult matchup than Oakland.

In a 5 or 7 game series between Oakland, Minnesota and Tampa...I think the devil rays are the toughest out
Mr President Elect
AG
bullard21k said:

I think a now healthy rotation in Tampa bay makes them a much more difficult matchup than Oakland.

In a 5 or 7 game series between Oakland, Minnesota and Tampa...I think the devil rays are the toughest out

I could easily see them knocking the As out.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

wangus12 said:

Hinch wants him to go for 300 but it sounds like he'll be ramped down in his last start.
Quote:

Hinch is sensitive to the fact both Verlander and Cole are chasing 300 strikeouts and are the AL Cy Young favorites, so he wants to treat them equally down the stretch.

"My job is about trying to win every game, but I'm very aware and I want their personal goals to be reached, whatever those are," Hinch said. "I'm very aware they're the top front-runners for the Cy Young. I respect that, and I have a job to do to treat them both fairly."
https://www.mlb.com/astros/news/ryan-pressly-set-to-return-to-face-angels
Have you guys seen the Angels lineup lately? Verlander might have those 11 strikeouts by the end of the 4th inning on Sunday.

Reminds me of the time Eric Dickerson needed 190 yards in his last 2 games of the 1984 season to break OJ's rushing record. Fortunately he played the Oilers in week 15 and rushed for 215 yards against them and just padded the record the next week.
Teddy Perkins
AG
The same Angels lineup that beat the Yanks last night? I think JV can get 17 in the next two starts even if he only pitches 5 innings on his last start. But he'll need the last start and it might be close.
BCSGrubber
AG
Yankees pitchers struck out 14 last night and that is with CC throwing 2 and 2/3 and striking out 2
Harry Dunne
Teddy Perkins said:

The same Angels lineup that beat the Yanks last night? I think JV can get 17 in the next two starts even if he only pitches 5 innings on his last start. But he'll need the last start and it might be close.
Yeah it's far from in the bag, but he averages 8.8 Ks per start and has been averaging over 10 for the last two months.

And he's JV and he wants it.
n_touch
Anyone with a extra bobble head from last night for trade?
Mr.Ackar07
It would be awesome for JV to get at least 11 Ks on Sunday to hit 3,000 in front of the home crowd. I have my tickets!
n_touch
Quote:

And he's JV and he wants it.
He will only need 4 after Sunday
ClickClack
AG
It's so beautiful looking at the standings and seeing only one team with a 100 by their name.
Mathguy64
AG
Just for fun, 3 players post All Star Break:

Player A: 60 Games, .310/.420/.653, 66 H. 43 R, 51 RBI, 19 HR, 16 2B, 40 BB, 62 K

Player B: 47 Games, .274/.411/.643, 46 H, 39 R, 37 RBI, 17 HR, 9 2B, 34 BB, 51 K

Player C: 59 Games, .341/.459/.654, 71 H, 54 R, 49 RBI, 14 HR, 21 2B, 43 BB, 29 K
Mr President Elect
AG
mathguy86 said:

Player A: 60 Games, .310/.420/.653, 66 H. 43 R, 51 RBI, 19 HR, 16 2B, 40 BB, 62 K

Player B: 47 Games, .274/.411/.643, 46 H, 39 R, 37 RBI, 17 HR, 9 2B, 34 BB, 51 K

Player C: 59 Games, .341/.459/.654, 71 H, 54 R, 49 RBI, 14 HR, 21 2B, 43 BB, 29 K

I'll try:

a: Yordan
b: Trout
c: Bregman
tjack16
AG
mathguy86 said:

for Post All Star game awards I'd go with C
Mathguy64
AG
willjohnathan said:

mathguy86 said:

I'll try:

a: Yordan
b: Trout
c: Bregman

Winner winner chicken dinner.
Mathguy64
AG
We all know hot Yuli has been. His post ASB:

55 Games, .346/.401/.664, 73 H, 34 R, 52 RBI, 16 HR, 19 2B, 17 BB, 26 K. That's our 6 hole hitter folks. And before Correa went down he was in the 7 spot.
SquirrellyDan
AG
More stats fun....

Only three players have 11 or less ABs per home run with over 300 plate appearances....

2. Trout - 600 PA, 10.4 AB / HR
3. Alvarez - 339 PA, 11 AB / HR

And number one is a guy who completely slipped under my radar,

1. Twins catcher Mitch Garver - 338 PA, 9.4 AB / HR

dshedd41
S

Gig’em Aggies!
First Page Last Page
Page 1065 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.