***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,211 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
mwm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tucker has been watching Reddick.
Bregxit
AG
Tuck with the robbery! Nice!
Mathguy64
AG
Thankfully nobody in the seats did anything stupid. We are learning.
Bregxit
AG
Mathguy64
AG
4 more and Rat Face is 6 hitters away. It could happen.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Quote:

All-Star relief pitcher Pressly, who hasn't pitched since Aug. 20 after undergoing knee surgery last month, could return to action this weekend against the Angels, Astros manager AJ Hinch said Wednesday. Pressly came through his live batting practice session Tuesday without a hitch.
"We'll map out a plan for the last week of the season," Hinch said. "But it's really encouraging how he feels. I'm looking forward to him pitching sometime in the Angels series."

Pressly, acquired in a trade with the Twins last year, earned his first All-Star nod when he posted a 1.36 ERA and 0.78 WHIP in the first half of the season. He began the season on a 21 scoreless-inning streak before giving up a homer May 24.

He gave up seven of his 14 earned runs allowed this year after injuring his knee in late July. Hinch said Pressly's stuff looks in line with where they'd like him to be, based on the data they were able to compile from his batting practice session Tuesday.

"It's always hard to get the last little edge without competition," Hinch said. "There's still friendly banter and stuff like that that goes on, and that's not quite the extra energy you get out of a game, but in a bullpen session, live BP session, [his stuff] was very much in line with what we expect."

Meanwhile, veteran right-hander Peacock, who went on the injured list in late August for the second time this year with right shoulder discomfort, will throw live batting practice on Thursday's off-day, which could be his final step before returning to action. Rookies Abraham Toro, Jack Mayfield and Garrett Stubbs will come to the park on the off-day to face Peacock.

Hinch keeping tabs on Cole, Verlander

Hinch pulled Verlander from Tuesday's game after only 87 pitches, which was tied for his fewest pitches thrown this season. It was by design. Hinch told Verlander he was going to keep him under 100 pitches in one of his final starts of the season, if possible, and opted to do it in Tuesday's win over the Rangers in which Verlander threw six scoreless innings.

Verlander, who has 19 wins and is 11 strikeouts shy of reaching 3,000 for his career, will be able to go back over 100 pitches in his next start Sunday in the home finale against the Angels. In his final regular-season start next week at Anaheim, Verlander's workload will likely be ramped down again in order to get him ready for starting Game 1 of the American League Division Series on Oct. 4.

Cole, who started against the Rangers on Wednesday, is in a different situation than Verlander. Cole missed 15 days between starts in mid-August because of hamstring discomfort. Hinch will likely not tinker with his pitch count until his final start of the season next week in Anaheim.

"I'm not as concerned with him backing off as much as I wanted to ensure J.V. got that time," Hinch said. "We [individualize] some of these decisions. They're not all the same. We have joked with [Wade] Miley that he backed off a couple of starts in a row, so he had his rest. [Zack] Greinke, we took out [after 73 pitches Sept. 9] when we had a blowout game. We've individualized it and the guys understand the reason we're doing it is for them to be at their peak performance when the postseason starts, and they're all on board."

Hinch is sensitive to the fact both Verlander and Cole are chasing 300 strikeouts and are the AL Cy Young favorites, so he wants to treat them equally down the stretch.
"My job is about trying to win every game, but I'm very aware and I want their personal goals to be reached, whatever those are," Hinch said. "I'm very aware they're the top front-runners for the Cy Young. I respect that, and I have a job to do to treat them both fairly."

Worth noting

Hinch said right-hander Aaron Sanchez, who made four starts for the Astros after being acquired in a July 31 trade with the Blue Jays, had shoulder surgery last week in California. Hinch said Sanchez's recovery will likely carry him into the start of next season, which makes him a candidate to be non-tendered by the Astros this offseason.
https://www.mlb.com/astros/news/ryan-pressly-set-to-return-to-face-angels
Bregxit
AG
Yuli almost killed Solak
Mathguy64
AG
We are starting to get some licks in.
SA-AG72
AG
6 stranded last 2 innings.
Bregxit
AG
spadilly
S
That should be an out.
JABQ04
AG
Got him!
Teddy Perkins
AG
Tucker with the cannon!
bearkatag15
AG
KTuck showing off the D
Mathguy64
AG
He's out. Tucker has a cannon. He just needs to dial it in a hair.
cap-n-jack
Out. I don't know how they picked that up from the bench.
CFTXAG10
AG
Do we like NY (replay officials) again?
Farmer1906
AG
Welp. Ted has now destroyed the last perceived advantage of a Reddick.

Mr.Bond
AG
Tucker needs to be on the playoff roster..... Change my mind
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Teddy Perkins
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Tucker needs to be on the playoff roster..... Change my mind
He doesn't have a gimmick like shooting spider webs after a hit? Pew pew.
mwm
Tucker is obviously a very, very talented young man (age 22). So what's the difference between 2018 and 2019? Just plain ol' maturity?
Bregxit
AG
cap-n-jack said:

Out. I don't know how they picked that up from the bench.

Had Bregman and Cole both calling for the review.
bearkatag15
AG
LAA up on NYY 3-2 bottom of 7th

Lets go Angels!!!
jetch17
AG
Let's get some runs!
Farmer1906
AG
A year.
Mathguy64
AG
Kolby has him a mullet hiding under that cap.
spadilly
S
Dang, that ball that hit him just pissed Cole off.
Bregxit
AG
Mathguy64
AG
Early in the season or last year a pissed off Cole wasn't good. It would get upset and it would rattle him a bit. Now a pissed off Cole is a bad bad man to be avoided at all costs is you are a hitter.
Mathguy64
AG
He might be safe. If MB had busted it out if the box he would have been.
Teddy Perkins
AG
mathguy86 said:

Early in the season or last year a pissed off Cole wasn't good. It would get upset and it would rattle him a bit. Now a pissed off Cole is a bad bad man to be avoided at all costs is you are a hitter.

Yuuuuup.
Buck Compton
AG
Bull**** call, that 1B view showed a foot down before the glove moved
Teddy Perkins
AG
And another.

bearkatag15
AG
bearkatag15 said:

LAA up on NYY 3-2 bottom of 7th

Lets go Angels!!!
Bottom of 8th. Same score
Bregxit
AG
JALAPINA!
First Page Last Page
Page 1059 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.