***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

2,457,362 Views | 50954 Replies | Last: 10 min ago by aTm2004
Bregxit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Beat40 said:

Bregxit said:

Crazy to think Bregs has gone from .259 to .299 since July 31. Hit .404 in August and is hitting .448 in September so far.
Means he's gonna hit .492 in October.


Wouldn't surprise me at all.
AgDoc03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bregxit said:

Beat40 said:

Bregxit said:

Crazy to think Bregs has gone from .259 to .299 since July 31. Hit .404 in August and is hitting .448 in September so far.
Means he's gonna hit .492 in October.


Wouldn't surprise me at all.
Username checks out?
Bregxit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgDoc03 said:

Bregxit said:

Beat40 said:

Bregxit said:

Crazy to think Bregs has gone from .259 to .299 since July 31. Hit .404 in August and is hitting .448 in September so far.
Means he's gonna hit .492 in October.


Wouldn't surprise me at all.
Username checks out?


Switched to something a little less personal after a dumbass kid from the Batt contacted me from the Toombs donation thread. Figured Bregxit will work for a while and be fun.
n_touch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So know we have a guessing game to determine who you were?
iamtheglove
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Prosperdick said:

What I love about Bregman is this team had tons of heart but it didn't have someone with edge...and he has it in spades and was such a catalyst for the 2017 team and again this year.


Agreed and I will add that I think the mix of personalities is a huge strength for this team. Springer with his unadulterated enthusiasm, Altuve humble and hard working, Breggy's confidence and love of the game, Uncle Mike a pro's pro steady and calm, JV focused and setting the standard, Yuli just always having a blast, Yordan still a kid but astonishing his teammates. Add to that AJ who never panicks or tries to dominate the team as the authority figure. Perfect chemistry in my opinion.
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Teddy Perkins
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
YellAg2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15 said:


Nice
CFTXAG10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Might be time to extend the netting up there too
Bregxit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
n_touch said:

So know we have a guessing game to determine who you were?
Sure, why not? First hint...Tap the brakes a bit on Tucker before anointing him a superstar.
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bregxit said:

n_touch said:

So know we have a guessing game to determine who you were?
Sure, why not? First hint...Tap the brakes a bit on Tucker before anointing him a superstar.
How's it going Harry?
Bregxit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Bregxit said:

n_touch said:

So know we have a guessing game to determine who you were?
Sure, why not? First hint...Tap the brakes a bit on Tucker before anointing him a superstar.
How's it going Harry?
Negative
willjohnathan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
pretty sure dlance
CFTXAG10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Teddy Perkins
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CFTXAG10 said:


Talmbout!

Also:

Bregxit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's a bingo!
Buck Compton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Been busy at work today, so I'm a little late to the party on the MVP discussion.

I've always been a big proponent of give it to the best player as long as the team is even mediocre and close to the WC race (should have been J.J. Watt 5-6 years ago in the NFL), especially in a very large team sport like football or baseball where so much success is based on teammates' performance

That being said, one argument has won me over lately... Trout is fantastic, but because his team is so bad he accumulates stats and performs in a very low-pressure environment down the stretch. And it's not like he isn't protected in the lineup this year where he doesn't get pitches to hit (Calhoun, Upton, and Ohtani in some order behind him is good enough to prevent that).

The consequences of NOT performing are nil. Example of my argument? A tiny 3-game sample size of Trout's ONLY POSTSEASON ABs to-date. I'd like to see him perform under this type of pressure every year before handing him an MVP each year.

2014 ALDS:
1-12, 3 BB, 2 Ks, 1 HR, 1 RBI
.083/.267/.333 = .600 OPS
astros4545
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hulla Baller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
astros4545 said:


Maybe we can get Donald to come to Houston for a playoff game?
titanmaster_race
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You are looking at a 12 AB sample from 2014 to say trout isn't worthy of the 2019 MVP award?
Buck Compton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
titanmaster_race said:

You are looking at a 12 AB sample from 2014 to say trout isn't worthy of the 2019 MVP award?
Talk about a huge leap, chief... Please layout for me where I said that. Don't be obtuse.

That was just one small example of how pressure impacts sports. Trout is the best player in baseball. Barring injury, should we just give it to him every year? No.

This season, I'd probably still vote Trout. But that's just because as a fan of the Astros, it's tough to call which of JV, Cole, or Bregman are the most valuable on this team, much less the MLB. They are doing it with huge stakes, and yes, that pressure has an impact.

And if you're interested, feel free to go look up Trouts stats in July-September of 2014 (the key parts of the race). His worst months of the year.

Pressure impacts performance. The only consideration for voting is how much to adjust for that, and that's where people differ.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Teddy Perkins said:


Back to back non starts for Ted. Get the man some ABs. Toro, Diaz, & Reddick all have more and will grow their lead after tonight.
Andyzipp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Teddy Perkins said:


Back to back non starts for Ted. Get the man some ABs. Toro, Diaz, & Reddick all have more and will grow their lead after tonight.
Dude had 7 at bats during the last two games.
Big Johnson Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Buck Compton said:

titanmaster_race said:

You are looking at a 12 AB sample from 2014 to say trout isn't worthy of the 2019 MVP award?
Talk about a huge leap, chief... Please layout for me where I said that. Don't be obtuse.

That was just one small example of how pressure impacts sports. Trout is the best player in baseball. Barring injury, should we just give it to him every year? No.

This season, I'd probably still vote Trout. But that's just because as a fan of the Astros, it's tough to call which of JV, Cole, or Bregman are the most valuable on this team, much less the MLB. They are doing it with huge stakes, and yes, that pressure has an impact.

And if you're interested, feel free to go look up Trouts stats in July-September of 2014 (the key parts of the race). His worst months of the year.

Pressure impacts performance. The only consideration for voting is how much to adjust for that, and that's where people differ.
I'm a huge, lifelong Astros fan, but this is such a stupid and lazy argument. I love Alex Bregman, and I do believe he'll win an MVP one day, but no one is close to Trout this year. Might as well give it to DJLM because he's playing really well on a playoff team that's been impacted heavily by injuries.

Trout
183 OPS+
179 wRC+
.442 wOBA
.454 xwOBA
43.9% Hard Hit
17.3% BB

Bregman
161 OPS+
166 wRC+
.383 wOBA
.359 xwOBA
37.0% Hard Hit
12.3% BB
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Big Johnson Ag said:

Buck Compton said:

titanmaster_race said:

You are looking at a 12 AB sample from 2014 to say trout isn't worthy of the 2019 MVP award?
Talk about a huge leap, chief... Please layout for me where I said that. Don't be obtuse.

That was just one small example of how pressure impacts sports. Trout is the best player in baseball. Barring injury, should we just give it to him every year? No.

This season, I'd probably still vote Trout. But that's just because as a fan of the Astros, it's tough to call which of JV, Cole, or Bregman are the most valuable on this team, much less the MLB. They are doing it with huge stakes, and yes, that pressure has an impact.

And if you're interested, feel free to go look up Trouts stats in July-September of 2014 (the key parts of the race). His worst months of the year.

Pressure impacts performance. The only consideration for voting is how much to adjust for that, and that's where people differ.
I'm a huge, lifelong Astros fan, but this is such a stupid and lazy argument. I love Alex Bregman, and I do believe he'll win an MVP one day, but no one is close to Trout this year. Might as well give it to DJLM because he's playing really well on a playoff team that's been impacted heavily by injuries.

Trout
183 OPS+
179 wRC+
.442 wOBA
.454 xwOBA
43.9% Hard Hit
17.3% BB

Bregman
161 OPS+
166 wRC+
.383 wOBA
.359 xwOBA
37.0% Hard Hit
12.3% BB
Yup. 100% agree. I love Breggy, but Trout is an all timer and this season is one of his better ones.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Andyzipp said:

Farmer1906 said:

Teddy Perkins said:


Back to back non starts for Ted. Get the man some ABs. Toro, Diaz, & Reddick all have more and will grow their lead after tonight.
Dude had 7 at bats during the last two games.
And?

I think I made a mistake. He started last game but not the one before.

He's only gotten 2 starts since his call up and there aint much time left this year.
mathguy86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well this is an improvement. Miley actually recorded an out.
newsjunkie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Oh hell, Miley
gambochaman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Miley is broken
Mr.Bond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bad Miley again
I'm looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. I'm just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.


H-Town 2017 WS Champions
mathguy86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
8 runs and 1 out in the first his last two starts. So far. Miley is about to find out his playoff services may not be required.
JABQ04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Finding every damn hole in the defense.
mwm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Miley
Beat40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Man - Miley letting those weak hits get to him.
JABQ04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Miley to the IL with discomfort soon?
Page 1016 of 1457
 
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.