A Dodgers fan died from a foul ball last season

2,160 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ABATTBQ87
Not a Bot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Her family and the Dodgers apparently chose not to publicize the incident. She was sitting in a section above the netting behind home plate and was hit in the head with a foul ball. She was taken to the hospital where she died a few days later. The player who hit the foul ball, San Diego's Franmil Reyes, was unaware of the incident.

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/25926592/fan-struck-head-foul-ball-dodgers-game-died-blunt-force-injury
astros4545
AG
Wow

So it wasn't even a line drive
ABATTBQ87
AG
1995: My wife and I were attending an Astros game and we were sitting 3 rows above the first base dugout in the old Astrodome.

It was the bottom of the 7th inning and Craig Biggio was batting with a 1-2 count. He hit a 92 mph fastball foul and it hit my wife square in the mouth, knocking out 4 teeth. If the ball would have hit her 3 inches higher it would have broken her nose and sinus cavity, and 3 inches lower would have hit her in the throat.
Cen-Tex
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

1995: My wife and I were attending an Astros game and we were sitting 3 rows above the first base dugout in the old Astrodome.

It was the bottom of the 7th inning and Craig Biggio was batting with a 1-2 count. He hit a 92 mph fastball foul and it hit my wife square in the mouth, knocking out 4 teeth. If the ball would have hit her 3 inches higher it would have broken her nose and sinus cavity, and 3 inches lower would have hit her in the throat.
I wonder in the case of the fan that died, if the Dodger organization helped with any of the costs? Did the Astros assist your wife during her predicament?
McGibblets
AG
I remember a few years ago when some lady was walking through the first row of diamond club when a foul ball hit the screen behind home, but pushed it back far enough and hit her in the head. They had to take her out on a stretcher, but I believe she ended up being ok.

There's a reason the ballparks give so many warnings to be cautious of what's happening around you
gigemhilo
AG
We were sitting BEHIND the net at arlington a couple years ago. First base side. We were high enough up that a line drive came just over the net and looped back down and it the seat behind me and just to my left. If my wife had not gone to the restroom about a minute earlier, it would have probably taken her out.
WoMD
I got hit in the head by a thrown bat during a spring training game at Tempe Diablo when I was in high school. Phil Nevin struck out and on his swing-through let go of the bat and it spun into the stands. I was sitting in the first row behind the dugout and I had the spinning bat judged, but it changed trajectory as it skimmed off the top of the dugout completely missing my arms, and it hit me square between the eyes and cracked one of my orbital bones. I just remember losing a few seconds of memory from the trauma, looking down and being really annoyed that my shirt was covered in blood, and literally asked "ok, who the hell is bleeding on me?!" Meanwhile, my dad was next to me cussing up a storm in panic. He doesn't handle traumatic stress well...

I remember JT Snow popping his head up out of the dugout (it was a Giants-Angels game) and giving me a towel to clean myself up. The next day I went to a Giants game in Scottsdale and talked to them after the game. JT was really excited when I told him who I was. And a year later I approached Nevin while he was flirting with a girl after a game, he realized who I was, panicked, and literally ran away.

If it hit an inch or two off to either side it would have likely blinded me in that eye, or worse.
mhayden
Cen-Tex said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

I wonder in the case of the fan that died, if the Dodger organization helped with any of the costs?

I think it's safe to say that if we're just now hearing about this incident 6 months after the fact that the Dodgers organization helped with quite a bit of $$$.
94chem
I was at BP in Arlington Stadium in the mid 1980s, and a man was reading the newspaper in the left field bleachers, maybe 10 rows up, but below the walkway. A HR hit him square in the forehead, and richocheted all the way back into shallow left field, at least 50 feet away. He left under his own power, but had a tennis ball growing out of his forehead. I'll never forget that sound of the ball conking off the guy's forehead.
agsquirrel97
AG
Slow pitch men's league our 60+ year old pitcher had a line drive go off his head and I caught it in center.

He kept trying to refuse the ambulance because his wife would make him quit playing. We made him take the ride.....his wife made him quit.
ABATTBQ87
AG
C Loves L said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

I find this a little odd. You remember a bunch of details from a terrible accident that have no bearing

Trolling?
I have the ball, pictures of my wife in the hospital with the flowers that Biggio sent to her and the dental bills to replace her teeth.

We received approximately $2K from the Astros, but nothing more.

I remember the events because it was the worst baseball injury I had ever been witness to, and I have been around the game since 1973.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.