*****Official Houston Astros Offseason Thread*****

474,228 Views | 3879 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AstroAggie15
Texaggie7nine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm guessing late night games he's all alone in bed askin Julia to speak into his mic...
7nine
Deluxe
AG
Josh James projected all star:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25924605/way-too-early-2019-all-stars-manny-machado-bryce-harper-start

Quote:

Then my big shocker: Astros rookie James, who came out of nowhere to have a dominant minor league season with his upper-90s heat (that hit 100 when he pitched out of the bullpen in the majors). He's not even guaranteed a job in the rotation, but I think he wins it (and rookie All-Star starters aren't an anomaly). Since 2011, we've had Michael Pineda, Lance Lynn, Wade Miley, Yu Darvish, Jose Fernandez and Masahiro Tanaka.
bearkatag15
AG

HvilleAggie
AG

gif fail. I give up.
n_touch
isn't arbitration a bad thing from the players perspective? The team downplays your importance to get a lower amount. Would love to know what they were offering him compared to the 5 mil he got.
Deluxe
AG
n_touch said:

isn't arbitration a bad thing from the players perspective? The team downplays your importance to get a lower amount. Would love to know what they were offering him compared to the 5 mil he got.
I think it's just part of the business. Seems reasonably common in cases when a talented player was playing hurt in the previous season. Hard to exactly quantify the value. Astros offered $4.25 million.

Cole's settlement is outstanding too. Astros offered $11.425 million and Gerrit asked for $13.5 million.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah I misread...Astros offered 4.25
Agnzona
Historically players have done very well in arbitration.
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
E
AG
I think all players understand that the team will always low ball the number becuase it is a business.

He cost himself alot more money though with his back issues. MLB Trade Rumors said he got about half of what he could have gotten if he had the numbers of previous year.
Beat40
E said:

I think all players understand that the team will always low ball the number becuase it is a business.

He cost himself alot more money though with his back issues. MLB Trade Rumors said he got about half of what he could have gotten if he had the numbers of previous year.
I hope this is the type of thing that would make him willing to switch to 3rd base if asked to do so.
Ag_07
AG
n_touch said:

isn't arbitration a bad thing from the players perspective?

Maybe it's a case where he knew he was hurt and understood he didn't put up great numbers and was expecting something lower form the team.

So it may have been a case where the offer was lower than his ask but greater than what him and his people were expecting.
McInnis
AG
Could someone who is tech savvy please put that photo of Julia on the first page of the official Astros 2019 thread?
bearkatag15
AG
https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2019/02/05/mlb-proposes-three-batter-minimum-mlbpa-proposes-nl-dh-in-2019/

Quote:

MLB proposes three-batter minimum; MLBPA proposes NL DH in 2019

Quote:

MLB's biggest suggestion would create a three-batter minimum for pitchers in an effort to reduce the amount of pitching changes made by managers, oftentimes grinding the game to a halt particularly if it's a mid-inning substitution.

There a a few other rule changes being prestented like expanding active rosters to 26 and decreasing September rosters from 40 to 28.

I like everything except the 3 batter minimum and decreasing September rosters
Mathguy64
AG
A 3 batter minimum is dumb. But there are ways to stop endless pitching changes. Make a mound visit to make a change count in the total they track. Increase it from 6 to 7 and make every visit a mandatory change from that point.

Cutting the rosters in September I like. It doesn't need to be that big.
iBrad
AG
A bunch of LOOGYs would be out of a job with the three batter minimum.
W
AG
it's an absolute no-brainer that the batter-minimum-faced needs to be increased. But 2 is okay. Don't need to go to 3 (yet)
W
AG
and that's okay. Learn how to get right-handed hitters out.

I would suggest sticking with the tried and true...hard stuff up and in. Soft stuff low and away
Agnzona
That sounds kind of flukey.
We had a kid in HS die in gym. We were tosing softballs underhanded and catching them barehanded only about 10 feet apart he got hit in the temple and dropped right there.
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
Beau Bevers
AG
Posted this on the Watching Astros thread:

fuboTV will start carrying AT&T SportsNet Southwest starting February 11th.

No need for DNS masks and MLB AT-Bat subs for this.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/att-sportsnet-southwest-is-coming-to-fubotv/
WES2006AG
AG
Beau Bevers said:

That is huge. Hopefully Youtube TV will follow shortly.
irish pete ag06
AG
Beau Bevers said:

Holy crap that is big time!
E
AG
Never heard of FuboTV, will definitely check it out
Bulldog73
AG
That is big, but they don't have any ESPN channels. Kinda crazy.
Frok
AG
Paying $45 a month for a packaged streaming service isn't what I would call "cord-cutting"

irish pete ag06
AG
Yes Fubo is not a great option, but this just means it's a matter of time before they are available on the other platforms. I believe the digital streaming rights were tied up some court case, so this means whatever that was has to have been settled.
Poke_the_Bear
AG
Might be worth an option until College football starts, then swap to someone with ESPN
Beau Bevers
AG
This is a big deal because it's the first streaming service to pick up AT&TSN. To not have to pay for a DNS mask and the MLB sub is going to save me some $. You will just have to find another way to watch ESPN.

Plus, whenever YouTube, Hulu, Sling, or someone else that has ESPN, finally picks up AT&TSN, I can just drop Fubo and go with them. It's the beauty of not having to break a contract (satellite) or switch out equipment (cable). This is huge.
Frok
AG
Once these services add all the channels you want it will cost the same if not more than your cable package.
Beau Bevers
AG
Frok said:

Once these services add all the channels you want it will cost the same if not more than your cable package.
It was never about cord-cutting for me. It was always about the Astros. Suddenlink does not look like they will ever carry it. In BCS, that's all you get. I can now get the Astors without cable or satellite. The cost is still a little cheaper for me, but it was never really about that.

Now, if Bryan Broadcasting could just pull their heads out and start broadcasting Astros games on KZNE or WTAW, I'd be set here.
Ag_07
AG
I pray for the day when cable becomes al a carte and you get charged for only the channels you select.

I've recently realized we have about 300 channels and 200 seem to be QVC and 24 hr infomercial channels.
irish pete ag06
AG
Frok said:

While that may be true. I see it being unlikely. More and more competitors are getting into this game and that kind of competition will drive prices down.

Also the options to leave with no contracts is extremely appealing.

There will never be a true cut the cord approach until it is extreme a la carte. Which is likely to never happen.

Most of these apps will allow you to have multiple TVs for no additional costs as well.
Hulla Baller
AG
TAKE IT BACK

07ag
AG
pork burnt end totchos

Frok
AG
Correa's theme should be "Healthy Back"

WES2006AG
AG
07ag said:

pork burnt end totchos

Do these come with insulin or is that extra?
First Page Last Page
Page 69 of 111

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.