***** Official Houston Astros 2018 Season Thread *****

3,177,344 Views | 44067 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by dshedd41
Deluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Prosperdick said:

Deluxe said:

JV Game 2 ALCS...

Did we win?
Like many JV gems in an Astros uniform, our offense made it interesting...
Prosperdick
AG
Deluxe said:

Prosperdick said:

Deluxe said:

JV Game 2 ALCS...

Did we win?
Like many JV gems in an Astros uniform, our offense made it interesting...
It has to wake up at some point...right? Right?
Deluxe
AG
Nope. It never will. Sorry bro.
The Milkman
AG
Deluxe said:

Just saw this StatsInc tweet:

When #Astros have runners on first and second with nobody out, they hit into double play a major league record 100% of the time
I'm not sure why this isn't blowing everyones mind. I'd like to see how many instances this is, but obviously its killed many rally innings that we are accustomed to seeing. This will obviously begin to balance out as well.
Beat40
The Milkman said:

Deluxe said:

Just saw this StatsInc tweet:

When #Astros have runners on first and second with nobody out, they hit into double play a major league record 100% of the time
I'm not sure why this isn't blowing everyones mind. I'd like to see how many instances this is, but obviously its killed many rally innings that we are accustomed to seeing. This will obviously begin to balance out as well.
I think your last sentence is why it isn't blowing everyone's mind. I think we all know 100% for the season isn't realistically going to happen. It also goes along with the thought that some players are making really good contact, just hitting into bad luck.

Hopefully everything will start to swing the other way a little bit and we'll go on a few long weeks of an offensive tear.
irish pete ag06
AG
Holy eff my buddy who works for the Cubs just texted and said we got Votto...

Turns out it was some deal on MLB network working out hypothetical trades or something.

I've never googled faster.
Furlock Bones
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

Turns out it was some deal on MLB network working out hypothetical trades or something.

what would we do with Yuli?
irish pete ag06
AG
Furlock Bones said:

irish pete ag06 said:

A. This is very unlikely a trade the Astros make unless Cincy offered to pay like half his contract. His contract is silly.
B. I am assuming Votto/Yuli are the de facto DHs if it were to happen (which it won't)
BowSowy
AG
Now you have me day dreaming about our offense with Votto
Ag_07
AG
Quote:

A. This is very unlikely a trade the Astros make unless Cincy offered to pay like half his contract. His contract is silly.

This

They're paying him $25MM per until 2023
JW_TXAG13
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

I've never jumped to conclusions faster reading half of a post
Furlock Bones
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

Furlock Bones said:

irish pete ag06 said:

B. I am assuming Votto/Yuli are the de facto DHs if it were to happen (which it won't)
yea, you're right. i was just thinking why would that come up on an MLB network discussion. how does it make sense?
Furlock Bones
AG
Ag_07 said:

Quote:

This

Furlock Bones
AG
since we got talking about trade rumors, here's a little ditty from mlb.com.

https://www.mlb.com/news/players-who-could-move-at-2018-trade-deadline/c-277677598

AgDoc03
AG
Furlock Bones said:

since we got talking about trade rumors, here's a little ditty from mlb.com.

https://www.mlb.com/news/players-who-could-move-at-2018-trade-deadline/c-277677598

Is it about Jack and Diane?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

Quote:

This

Good googly moogly that is an ugly contract.

Can you imagine playing him 125 M for his years age 35 to 39? Anything short of say 50 M (10 a year after this) is a no go and even then, maybe not. We have no idea if he will age well.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
JW_TXAG13
AG
Looking forward to what Davis can do this time around. Gotta step up
Mr.Bond
AG
JD Davis plays outfield?! Where the **** have I been?
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Andyzipp
AG
Mr.Bond said:

JD Davis plays outfield?! Where the **** have I been?

He's been playing left in Fresno.
Mr.Bond
AG
Fair enough. I Always thought he was a corner infielder
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

BowSowy
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07 said:

Quote:

This

Can you imagine playing him 125 M for his years age 35 to 39? Anything short of say 50 M (10 a year after this) is a no go and even then, maybe not. We have no idea if he will age well.

Ah yes, the old baseball train of thought. Reward a guy's precious however many seasons with a contract that absolutely will not return value
The Milkman
AG
Mr.Bond said:

All his appearances with the Astros have been at 1st or 3rd. Other than apparently 1.2 innings pitching... 3Ks, 1 walk, 1 hit and no earned runs.

Definitely didnt remember this
MAROON
AG
The Milkman said:

Mr.Bond said:

All his appearances with the Astros have been at 1st or 3rd.

Other than apparently 1.2 innings pitching... 3Ks, 1 walk, 1 hit and no runs.
DFA Sipp and Davis can play outfield and be part of the bullpen on his off days. Win:Win
W
AG
it's unbelievable how dumb MLB general managers are. This isn't the late 90's / early 00's when 'roided up players were doing amazing things past the age of 35
Harry Dunne
BowSowy said:

Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07 said:

Quote:

This

Ah yes, the old baseball train of thought. Reward a guy's precious however many seasons with a contract that absolutely will not return value
Believe it or not, I think in a lot of cases it's loyalty.

No one would want to play for an organization that didn't take care of it stars on the back end after they produced MVP-caliber years on the front end... unless they consistently win championships like the Patriots do, but no one in baseball has pulled off the mercenary "dump them when they are no longer worth their salary" type of attitude.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
That's really kind of it for me. At some point they're going to have to change up how they do things. They can't hang on to these guys as serfs through a significant portion of their prime and then also want to short change it on the back end because they're statistically going to start slowing down. If that's how it's going to work going forward, they really need to drop how long these guys are under control without any ability to force a new contract.
Farmer1906
AG
It seems like people are realizing they cannot give out contracts like that. Look at the Verlander deal. We wouldn't have touched him if Det didn't take less and pay for some of his contract. The Marlins basically gave away the MVP because of his contract. Look how stingy everyone was last off-season with pitching deals. Even the year before EE wasn't getting major offers (I still think we should have spent money on him over Beltran).
astros4545
AG
Farmer1906 said:

It seems like people are realizing they cannot give out contracts like that. Look at the Verlander deal. We wouldn't have touched him if Det didn't take less and pay for some of his contract. The Marlins basically gave away the MVP because of his contract. Look how stingy everyone was last off-season with pitching deals. Even the year before EE wasn't getting major offers (I still think we should have spent money on him over Beltran).

and Verlander is still underpaid
Harry Dunne
Farmer1906 said:

(I still think we should have spent money on him over Beltran).

Blasphemy.
Kashchei
AG
Kemp
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Farmer1906 said:

(I still think we should have spent money on him over Beltran).

Blasphemy.

I'll stick by the idea that we don't win the WS without Beltran until the day I die. I'll never be convinced otherwise. Some things aren't measured in stats.
Harry Dunne
Agree 100%
Aggie8587
AG
Strictly curious, but when was the last time we scored in the first inning at home? Seems like it's been at least 3-4 weeks
bearkatag15
AG
Kemp or Reddick catch that
First Page Last Page
Page 280 of 1260

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.